Gameplan gave us no chance | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gameplan gave us no chance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Do you have any idea how demoralizing it is for the players and fans to be victims of interceptions with huge returns? More so than tonight's offensive game plan was.

We know he would throw 5 INT because we have plenty of hard evidence showing that he has an extremely high likelihood of throwing picks in those situations. This is judging from the numerous snaps he's played over the past three years. It's all on UConnHuskyGames.com if you want to watch them again.
Stairmaster, I have a feeling no matter what I write out here you are going to find something to criticize about it. We had the same disagreements about the baseball team as well. I do like the fact that you seem to be a positive thinker and a half glass full kind of person, however you also seem to be a person who is satisfied with a glass half full and if it's never completely full, well that's okay. Settling seems to be okay in your book and I guess I just expect a little more and don't want to settle.
Remember, can't win if you don't try.

Reaction Score
Our offense was ranked 113th coming into yesterdays game- with Shireffs.

There was not a gameplan in the country that was going to give us any hope to be competitive yesterday against that defense.

I am thrilled with 6-6 and a bowl with this very flawed team. But if you want to continue growing this program and winning the fan base back, there needs to be dramatic upgrades on the offensive side of the football. Transfers, recruiting, coaching, whatever. It has to happen. 113th is not going to cut it going forward.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Stairmaster, I have a feeling no matter what I write out here you are going to find something to criticize about it. We had the same disagreements about the baseball team as well. I do like the fact that you seem to be a positive thinker and a half glass full kind of person, however you also seem to be a person who is satisfied with a glass half full and if it's never completely full, well that's okay. Settling seems to be okay in your book and I guess I just expect a little more and don't want to settle.
Remember, can't win if you don't try.

Maybe because you only come out here when the football team loses, and because the only time I saw you on the basketball board at all last year was when we were trailing at the half to ECU. You seem to be one of the posters who thrives on negativity and uses this forum as a means to channel your negative emotion rather than a true fan of the program. I've stuck with this team through the positives and the negatives, from the first season at the Rent to the PP years and everything in between. Your sole purpose seems to be to crap on the parade, which I can't respect.

Honestly, what the hell did you think would happen against a ranked team with one of the top defenses against the run in the country / the most skill position depth out of any of our conference opponents this year? Your expectations are wholly unrealistic. I want the glass to be full, but I'm smart enough to realize that there's a timetable for when we'll get there. It's a process, and if you're too impatient for it then tough cookies. Find another program to root for then. We are not where we need to be, but we are getting there regardless of whether it's quick enough to satisfy your impatience or not. That's not settling, that's having knowledge of where we are as a team and as a football program. Despite the obvious need for improvement, this is the UConn Huskies football team, like it or not.

On the topic of the gameplan...this offense kept us from choking the Houston game away. Boyle airing it out against Houston's defensive backfield would have erased that win and kept us at home from a bowl game. So no, I don't blame the coaching staff for going this route. This put us in a bad position to win, but even that was much better than airing it out would have.

Reaction Score
Maybe because you only come out here when the football team loses, and because the only time I saw you on the basketball board at all last year was when we were trailing at the half to ECU. You seem to be one of the posters who thrives on negativity and uses this forum as a means to channel your negative emotion rather than a true fan of the program. I've stuck with this team through the positives and the negatives, from the first season at the Rent to the PP years and everything in between. Your sole purpose seems to be to crap on the parade, which I can't respect.

Honestly, what the hell did you think would happen against a ranked team with one of the top defenses against the run in the country / the most skill position depth out of any of our conference opponents this year? Your expectations are wholly unrealistic. I want the glass to be full, but I'm smart enough to realize that there's a timetable for when we'll get there. It's a process, and if you're too impatient for it then tough cookies. Find another program to root for then. We are not where we need to be, but we are getting there regardless of whether it's quick enough to satisfy your impatience or not. That's not settling, that's having knowledge of where we are as a team and as a football program. Despite the obvious need for improvement, this is the UConn Huskies football team, like it or not.

On the topic of the gameplan...this offense kept us from choking the Houston game away. Boyle airing it out against Houston's defensive backfield would have erased that win and kept us at home from a bowl game. So no, I don't blame the coaching staff for going this route. This put us in a bad position to win, but even that was much better than airing it out would have.
Well I guess you would know since you seem to search out my posts. Don't tell me I'm not a true fan because you have no clue. Curious if you even went to UConn? Think about what you say above about playing against one of the top rush defenses in the country. Well that is exactly my point and a lot of other folks out here as well from what I read, is why do you run every single down right into it? No passes more than 5 yards down the field. The worst defenses could have stopped us. And if Boyle is not the answer, then play Anderson every down in a wildcat and at least make the defense think there is a threat of a run or pass. Just because I say the coaches didn't give us a chance to win does not make me a negative poster, just giving opinion/perspective/bringing passion about something I do care about. I'm just not a sugarcoat kind of person.

Reaction Score
ATLDYKA said:
Agree, but it would have meant they were at least trying. Are you saying you were happy with the game plan?

So then you wouldn't have been here screaming at Boyle threw for 5 picks and why didn't we run the ball more?

Reaction Score
TouchdownHusky said:
Then put another QB in the game. UConn will go nowhere this season or any other if they can't throw the ball effectively. Geez us, how about recruiting somebody who can throw the ball effectively. They are out there, that's all I see on a dozen different games on Saturdays.

Would be great if we had one. No idea why we can't seem to recruit them.

Reaction Score
So then you wouldn't have been here screaming at Boyle threw for 5 picks and why didn't we run the ball more?
I can honestly say no because at least we were trying.

Reaction Score

By the way didn't know the purpose of this board was to only come out here and post positive but yet a forum to post all thoughts positive or negative. Just because I came out here last year and posted a negative comment about one basketball game does not make me a negative only poster. I have posted many things both ways. In this case I am critical of the coaches and their game plan, not the players. The ironic thing is that you are actually the one crapping on a player (Boyle), so who's the one being negative.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
As long as you understand they outcome was the same if they flung the ball all over the place complain away.

Reaction Score
That's what happens when you have a qb with an horrific 13 int v 1 td ratio. He is awful and diaco knew our only hope was to run the ball, kill the clock and play great defense. Sad , but true.

Then he should not be the back-up. Boyle is not awful, some Huskie fans are! Sad but true.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Then he should not be the back-up. Boyle is not awful, some Huskie fans are! Sad but true.

Unfortunately, he apparently is our best option as a backup. I agree, in a perfect world, he shouldn't be our backup but we don't have any other alternatives. If 13 picks with 1 TD isn't awful, how would you define it? He's a serviceable game manager, if he has a running game , but is an absolutely atrocious passer and is awful if called on to do anything beyond that. That doesn't make me a "sad" fan; just an astute fan.

Reaction Score
As long as you understand they outcome was the same if they flung the ball all over the place complain away.

Well that's obviously your opinion but somehow I'd rather fling the ball with the potential of success than run it straight ahead with no possibility. But I guess that's just me.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Well that's obviously your opinion but somehow I'd rather fling the ball with the potential of success than run it straight ahead with no possibility. But I guess that's just me.

Sure that sounds good.

Let's do this: Let's compare who has liked our posts the last 48 hours. I'll take the high ground having those with intellegence.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, he apparently is our best option as a backup. I agree, in a perfect world, he shouldn't be our backup but we don't have any other alternatives. If 13 picks with 1 TD isn't awful, how would you define it? He's a serviceable game manager, if he has a running game , but is an absolutely atrocious passer and is awful if called on to do anything beyond that. That doesn't make me a "sad" fan; just an astute fan.

You may be a great many things but astute is most certainly not one of them. As a freshman Boyle played three games, the meat of our schedule behind a porous line with very poor receivers. In year two he did appear rattled a bit but it was his third coach in 1 year, new offense, porous line and poor receivers (means they dropped many catchable passes stopping drives that he had put on the money). Then after appearing to lose a tight competition to Sherriffs, he wins a game against Houston, by placing some great passes (almost always on third and long) as he was getting hammered. Sherriffs then gets hammered and the coaches don't give him a chance to do what he does well which is throw the ball. Yes Mr. ASTUTE, I look forward to your next pearl of wisdom.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
You may be a great many things but astute is most certainly not one of them. As a freshman Boyle played three games, the meat of our schedule behind a porous line with very poor receivers. In year two he did appear rattled a bit but it was his third coach in 1 year, new offense, porous line and poor receivers (means they dropped many catchable passes stopping drives that he had put on the money). Then after appearing to lose a tight competition to Sherriffs, he wins a game against Houston, by placing some great passes (almost always on third and long) as he was getting hammered. Sherriffs then gets hammered and the coaches don't give him a chance to do what he does well which is throw the ball. Yes Mr. ASTUTE, I look forward to your next pearl of wisdom.
It's cool that Tims mom posts on the boneyard but............He was 12/22 with no touchdowns and QBR of 45 against Houston. Yesterday he was 12/20 with no touchdowns and an interception with a QBR of 34. That sample set is indicative of his career numbers and his 13 picks / 1 TD ratio is so bad you can't find another QB in the country with a similar level of ineptitude. Again, I ask you, if that isn't awful, please let me know what he would have to do to rate as horrible in your opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom

Top Bottom