Gameplan gave us no chance | The Boneyard

Gameplan gave us no chance

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
to win this game. We come into this game with nothing to lose, yet our OC gave us no chance to win the game.
Every single drive until the start of the 4th when the game was already decided starts with a run for a loss.
No pass was more than 5 yards down the field.
Once again can't come up with enough creativity to get a first down on a 3rd or 4th and less than a yard. Let's just keep giving it to our 170lb back 5 yards in the backfield and expect him to break through 3 tacklers given clear path to tackle him.
Any defense could have stopped us tonight with that pathetic, predictable play calling.

We had nothing to lose. How about letting Boyle use his one strength, his arm and air it out a few times and keep the defense honest?
Where did Anderson go in the second half? Why not give him a few more opportunities to roll out and make something happen with his feet or arm.

It just sucks for a defensive unit that played their hearts out but our coaches just gave us no chance to succeed offensively. Pathetic game plan. Sorry, I just expected to see more, especially in a game we had nothing to lose.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
That's what happens when you have a qb with an horrific 13 int v 1 td ratio. He is awful and diaco knew our only hope was to run the ball, kill the clock and play great defense. Sad , but true.

Reaction Score
That's what happens when you have a qb with an horrific 13 int v 1 td ratio. He is awful and diaco knew our only hope was to run the ball, kill the clock and play great defense. Sad , but true.
Pity the bowl game that draws us. Awful team to watch, and a fan base that will not travel to watch an awful team play an awful game.

Reaction Score
Ok, then if you have that little confidence in Boyle then play Anderson. The point is they had nothing to lose and yet they didn't even try to win. Who cares if Boyle threw 5 INTs, I think we all would have been happier at least seeing them try to move the ball down the field attacking.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
If Boyle threw 5 INTs, we'd still lose. Good lord.

CTMike

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Reaction Score
Pity the bowl game that draws us. Awful team to watch, and a fan base that will not travel to watch an awful team play an awful game.
Will you be at the bowl game?

Reaction Score
If Boyle threw 5 INTs, we'd still lose. Good lord.
Agree, but it would have meant they were at least trying. Are you saying you were happy with the game plan?

Reaction Score
Who cares if Boyle threw 5 INTs, I think we all would have been happier at least seeing them try to move the ball down the field attacking.

Ummm no, I would have said why are we airing it out with an awful qb. Why not play ball control, keep it conservative, and hope our defense can make some plays. The same strategy that won us last week.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
Ok, then if you have that little confidence in Boyle then play Anderson..

I was going to mention that in my post as I tend to agree. The fact that Diaco/Verducci don't, tells us a lot about how far Anderson has to go.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Agree, but it would have meant they were at least trying. Are you saying you were happy with the game plan?

I knew this game was in the toilet the moment I saw Shirreffs go limp last weekend. I still paid out of my own pocket for the tickets and transportation to my first live game in 12 years as a show of support to the program and the players and appreciation for the progress made this year (Yes people, from start to finish, this team did make progress. Even taking tonight into account.).

So I knew what I was walking into. Would I have preferred seeing Temple take 5 picks back to the house over what transpired tonight? No, I would've been pissed and swearing regardless. The difference is, this kept the game a lot closer than it would've been if Boyle had been adding to his outrageous TD-INT ratio all game long. It was a two-possession game at the half.

Reaction Score
Ummm no, I would have said why are we airing it out with an awful qb. Why not play ball control, keep it conservative, and hope our defense can make some plays. The same strategy that won us last week.
Ok yes because that was real exciting football we saw tonight.

Reaction Score
I knew this game was in the toilet the moment I saw Shirreffs go limp last weekend. I still paid out of my own pocket for the tickets and transportation to my first live game in 12 years as a show of support to the program and the players and appreciation for the progress made this year (Yes people, from start to finish, this team did make progress. Even taking tonight into account.).

So I knew what I was walking into. Would I have preferred seeing Temple take 5 picks back to the house over what transpired tonight? No, I would've been pissed and swearing regardless. The difference is, this kept the game a lot closer than it would've been if Boyle had been adding to his outrageous TD-INT ratio all game long. It was a two-possession game at the half.
So you would rather it be 27-3 and know we will lose rather than try. How do you know he will throw 5 int unless you try. There was no attempt to win this game on offense and to me that is offensive.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
So you would rather it be 27-3 and know we will lose rather than try. How do you know he will throw 5 int unless you try. There was no attempt to win this game on offense and to me that is offensive.

Do you have any idea how demoralizing it is for the players and fans to be victims of interceptions with huge returns? More so than tonight's offensive game plan was.

We know he would throw 5 INT because we have plenty of hard evidence showing that he has an extremely high likelihood of throwing picks in those situations. This is judging from the numerous snaps he's played over the past three years. It's all on UConnHuskyGames.com if you want to watch them again.

Reaction Score

Ummm. UConn's offense has sucked for years with a ball control, keeping it conservative and hoping the defense can make some plays. That model won't work in this day an age for a program looking to become a perennial winner. No one associated with UConn seems to have a clue that you need to be able throw the ball. That you need to have an effective passing game to be successful in today's game. This run on every first down is old and tired. Stop it.

Reaction Score
Do you have any idea how demoralizing it is for the players and fans to be victims of interceptions with huge returns? More so than tonight's offensive game plan was.

We know he would throw 5 INT because we have plenty of hard evidence showing that he has an extremely high likelihood of throwing picks in those situations. This is judging from the numerous snaps he's played over the past three years. It's all on UConnHuskyGames.com if you want to watch them again.

Then put another QB in the game. UConn will go nowhere this season or any other if they can't throw the ball effectively. Geez us, how about recruiting somebody who can throw the ball effectively. They are out there, that's all I see on a dozen different games on Saturdays.

Reaction Score
Those stats are a bit misleading. Most of the ints came against top teams after PP burned his redshirt. And the lack of tds is because some of receivers had poor hands in the endzone. Can't blame all of this on TB.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Those stats are a bit misleading. Most of the ints came against top teams after PP burned his redshirt. And the lack of tds is because some of receivers had poor hands in the endzone. Can't blame all of this on TB.

I've seen plenty of Boyle's throws over the past three years. At this point, it's on him to make an adjustment and take a hair off of each throw to make it easier for the receivers to catch it. Notice how comparatively, Boyle generates a lot more drops than Shirreffs does because Shirreffs has much better touch on his throws. We have a QB coach who was an ACC-level player in college - he should be able to work with him on that.

Reaction Score
TouchdownHusky said:
Ummm. UConn's offense has sucked for years with a ball control, keeping it conservative and hoping the defense can make some plays. That model won't work in this day an age for a program looking to become a perennial winner. No one associated with UConn seems to have a clue that you need to be able throw the ball. That you need to have an effective passing game to be successful in today's game. This run on every first down is old and tired. Stop it.

I hear you, none of the top teams run the ball. I mean only Alabama. And Stanford. And LSU. And Iowa. Can't win with a run centric offense. Unpossible, I say.

CAHUSKY

UConn Class of 2013
Reaction Score
13 picks and 1 TD , even if slightly misleading, is absolutely abhorrent. I'm willing to bet it's, by far, the worst of any qb in the country. By a really big margin.

Reaction Score
I think we see BS back at the helm for the bowl game vs a far less talented team than Temple.

I like our chances.

As for TDH. Why is it I dont see much of you on this board after our wins?

It's like you just copy and paste the last 10 years posts.

Reaction Score
I hear you, none of the top teams run the ball. I mean only Alabama. And Stanford. And LSU. And Iowa. Can't win with a run centric offense. Unpossible, I say.

Is it really necessary to point out that these programs have the best player on the field at each position. Of course they can win by running. They pretty much can do anything they want to do to their opponents. And, I'm guessing they also have a far more effective passing game than UConn has had in years.

Reaction Score
I think we see BS back at the helm for the bowl game vs a far less talented team than Temple.

I like our chances.

As for TDH. Why is it I dont see much of you on this board after our wins?

It's like you just copy and paste the last 10 years posts.

Same offensive woes over last ten years, save for one 7 or 8 game stretch in 2009 when somebody decided to put Marcus Easley in at WR and throw to him. Sure were exciting times.

Reaction Score
TouchdownHusky said:
Is it really necessary to point out that these programs have the best player on the field at each position. Of course they can win by running. They pretty much can do anything they want to do to their opponents. And, I'm guessing they also have a far more effective passing game than UConn has had in years.

I was responding to your assertion that a team can't win consistently with a ball control offense. That is simply not true.

Reaction Score
Anderson must really truly be awful in practice.....hell the one pass he through tonight was a good one...as was the 50 yard TD pass last week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom