Game Ball to the Defense | The Boneyard

Game Ball to the Defense

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
What a response today from the fellas on the defensive side of the ball. Two turnovers, a touchdown, stops on 3rd down, and a much much better performance than what we've seen all year. They won this game for us and my hat's off to those guys.

Are they still too far off the receivers for my liking? Yes. But they closed, and they hit, and the linebackers got better depth in pass coverage, and the DL got a fair amount of pressure on Marchi.

Big road win. Big defensive performance.

Pride. Heart. UConn.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Today's win is big in many ways but most importantly the team is starting to learn how to win.
I think this is the mot important. Last few years this team would have folded and let up 3 more TDs after all the TOs from our offense. They are showing a change in mindset and showing they are believing they can win a game, no matter what's thrown at you. Kudos to them. Hopefully we start seeing bigger growth now.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
This win is a huge win from a recruiting footprint standpoint as well. We all know that Edsall's bread-and-butter is eastern PA recruiting. Getting wins against Temple matters, especially on their turf where the kids can see it. Really a fantastic win...

Reaction Score
He's going to remember that TD for the rest of his life with a great taste in his mouth. It's not often that a DB can say they scored the winning TD. The future is definitely bright...

Loved the Noel Thomas tweet that said something like no wheels.

He did seem a bit slow but I imagine it was like trying to run in your dream but cant. It was probably a bit surreal for him.

Reaction Score
A win against a team in your own conference is a big win. You could make an excuse that the first TD was by the result of personal foul calls, but doggone it, this team needed the confidence just to know that they are capable of winning. this should boost their morale in future games and know they can compete with anybody. There are a lot fo things that need to be corrected, but damn it WE WON!!!

Bomber36

Respect All, Fear None.
Reaction Score
We're all giving out likes this week, just because you hung around the 'Yard this long waiting to beat an FBS team. That's dedication.
Yep....likes will flow like wine this week.

Reaction Score
The D deserves great kudos for showing some mettle. Vastly better with a psuedu 4 front and we saw some much better closing on receivers and players in pass lanes. Still a whole heck of a lot of work to do but there is now a stake in the ground and place to move forward from. The O definitely regressed and missed chances to deliver some daggers with the worst play calling this season by far. The insistence on running Newsome up the middle instead of using backs with proven success between the tackles just has to stop. But, this was a desperately needed win and confidence builder. Congrats to the boys for hanging tough. Could have folded.

Uconnalliance

Please cancel the program all hope is lost
Reaction Score
What a response today from the fellas on the defensive side of the ball. Two turnovers, a touchdown, stops on 3rd down, and a much much better performance than what we've seen all year. They won this game for us and my hat's off to those guys.

Are they still too far off the receivers for my liking? Yes. But they closed, and they hit, and the linebackers got better depth in pass coverage, and the DL got a fair amount of pressure on Marchi.

Big road win. Big defensive performance.

Pride. Heart. UConn.
Game ball goes to you bro lol

Reaction Score
Players may be starting to get more comfortable in the 3-3-5. Less time thinking, resulting in faster, more aggressive playing. Still some blown coverages and missed tackles but that should improve over the rest of the season.

Reaction Score
Players may be starting to get more comfortable in the 3-3-5. Less time thinking, resulting in faster, more aggressive playing. Still some blown coverages and missed tackles but that should improve over the rest of the season.
If you watch the alignment today, there was an effective 4 man front being played with 3 down and a 4th on contain...made a huge difference. In fact, we saw one or two passes to the flat deflected with men in the passing lane. They also brought more pressure today. You will note when they were in the passive 3-3 alignment and brought a blitz from 5 yards of the line it was it effective. So, maybe Crocker made some meaningful adjustments at least enough to change their effectiveness. The minute they went into pass prevent D with cushions, Temple started eating them up. The great news is we have guys that can bring it if we get them in position. Marchi's inaccuracy also helped, but I'd like to think we were getting enough token pressure to force early throws. Liked the intensity and hitting today. Much more physical play. Perhaps the cupboard isn't totally bare as some have suggested. Congrats to the D for a much improved showing. They don't need to be great for us to chalk up some wins.

UConnDan97

Reaction Score
If you watch the alignment today, there was an effective 4 man front being played with 3 down and a 4th on contain...made a huge difference. In fact, we saw one or two passes to the flat deflected with men in the passing lane. They also brought more pressure today. You will note when they were in the passive 3-3 alignment and brought a blitz from 5 yards of the line it was it effective. So, maybe Crocker made some meaningful adjustments at least enough to change their effectiveness. The minute they went into pass prevent D with cushions, Temple started eating them up. The great news is we have guys that can bring it if we get them in position. Marchi's inaccuracy also helped, but I'd like to think we were getting enough token pressure to force early throws. Liked the intensity and hitting today. Much more physical play. Perhaps the cupboard isn't totally bare as some have suggested. Congrats to the D for a much improved showing. They don't need to be great for us to chalk up some wins.

I noticed the same thing today with the fourth man on the line. And as I predicted, that alignment really helps Carrezola to shine out there. He's really made for a four-man front.

I think it's clear that Crocker made adjustments today, and he certainly gets part of the game ball today as well...

C

Chief00

The D deserves great kudos for showing some mettle. Vastly better with a psuedu 4 front and we saw some much better closing on receivers and players in pass lanes. Still a whole heck of a lot of work to do but there is now a stake in the ground and place to move forward from. The O definitely regressed and missed chances to deliver some daggers with the worst play calling this season by far. The insistence on running Newsome up the middle instead of using backs with proven success between the tackles just has to stop. But, this was a desperately needed win and confidence builder. Congrats to the boys for hanging tough. Could have folded.

Agreed, UConn basically ran a 4 man front today on defense, as Chief has been pushing. We found out that our DL could occasionally beat single blockers unlike double teamed blockers. Crocker has basically been told he needed to get off the dime with his beloved 3-3-5 and make scheme changes or else he would be gone. Said more diplomatically but that was the message. The corners were at least contesting many passes today, so that was also encouraging.

Reaction Score
RIP 3-3-5, All hail the 4-2-5.

The 3-3-5 is exactly what it has looked like, a PREVENT you from winning defense. The sooner we move on from that nonsense the better. For the love of God Yale shutout Holy Cross today. A freaking shutout.

Last edited:

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
RIP 3-3-5, All hail the 4-2-5.

The 3-3-5 is exactly what it has looked like, a PREVENT you from winning defense. The sooner we move on from that nonsense the better. For the love of God Yale shutout Holy Cross today. A freaking shutout.

I bet you patted yourself on the back for a solid two or three minutes after coming up with this one.

Reaction Score
The defense for the first time this season was physical out there. They were hitting people all over the place. They wanted to win more than Temple. Edsalls job to make this work every week.

Reaction Score
Game ball to Tyler Coyle.
Don't mean to gloat, but been saying for two weeks now to put Coyle and Bell back in, both hit harder and are better in pass coverage than Herring-Wilson and Terry. Fortt played a lot yesterday too which I thought was a positive move by the coaches.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom