Game Ball to the Defense | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Game Ball to the Defense

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The D deserves great kudos for showing some mettle. Vastly better with a psuedu 4 front and we saw some much better closing on receivers and players in pass lanes. Still a whole heck of a lot of work to do but there is now a stake in the ground and place to move forward from. The O definitely regressed and missed chances to deliver some daggers with the worst play calling this season by far. The insistence on running Newsome up the middle instead of using backs with proven success between the tackles just has to stop. But, this was a desperately needed win and confidence builder. Congrats to the boys for hanging tough. Could have folded.

He had some big inside runs today. But if the hole isn’t there he goes nowhere.

Reaction Score
I'd personally like to take credit for stating the obvious over and over on the 4 front for the last 3 weeks and getting unmercifully hammered with a few others for daring to challenge Crocker.

Victory lap over.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
We allowed over 350 yards in the air, but stiffened in the red zone and made third down stops with greater regularity.

It's difficult to judge sometimes on just one viewing, but I think the DB roster in this game was the best mix yet. They cut way down on YAC and actually had some PDs. The DBs also hit harder today.

Swann had seven tackles. Tre Bell played his best ball by far. Brown was in the mix, a fair showing for his first start.

LBs played solid today too; more physical.

We still aren't engineering pressure in the QB throwing lanes- but I did see a lot of arms in the air trying to tip balls which is great.

It's nice to play a more 'normal' QB in Marchi. Prior to this game everyone has looked like a legit NFL prospect and not because we lack, but because they just keep dropping dimes.

I'm excited to see Swann, Brown and Bell build on this victory next week.

Reaction Score
I'd personally like to take credit for stating the obvious over and over on the 4 front for the last 3 weeks and getting unmercifully hammered with a few others for daring to challenge Crocker.

Victory lap over.

If you go back and watch the game replays for the past few weeks (not just highlights) they have been running the 3 lineman w/ hand in dirt and 1 upright offset alignment set more than a few times a game in the past. This week it clicked (could be Temple offensive line vs other teams or it could be that pride/repetition had a bigger impact this week.) Looking forward to its continued development.

It clearly made a difference this week but it really wasn’t a new wrinkle just because Crocker was “threatened”.

Reaction Score
While I could also take a bow after calling out the D scheme and Crocker for weeks, that's beneath me--lol.
So here's the reality from yesterday. We DO have players. The reason we could have lost this game was the continued playing of a soft porous zone. The scheme continues to need evolution. Give us more press coverage and intermittent pressure on the QB and I won't cancel my Bowl Game plans.

Reaction Score
If you go back and watch the game replays for the past few weeks (not just highlights) they have been running the 3 lineman w/ hand in dirt and 1 upright offset alignment set more than a few times a game in the past. This week it clicked (could be Temple offensive line vs other teams or it could be that pride/repetition had a bigger impact this week.) Looking forward to its continued development.

It clearly made a difference this week but it really wasn’t a new wrinkle just because Crocker was “threatened”.
shh facts get in the way of feelings

Reaction Score

Wow, that's some revisionist history.

LMAO..right whatever

O.K. I guess My eyes were deceiving me and other folks. I don't recall a single pass to the flat in 5 games being contested by an outside rush, or outside-in pocket pressure. But, it just clicked with reps if that makes you happy. As long as they improve I don't care.

Reaction Score
Wow, that's some revisionist history.

LMAO..right whatever

O.K. I guess My eyes were deceiving me and other folks. I don't recall a single pass to the flat in 5 games being contested by an outside rush, or outside-in pocket pressure. But, it just clicked with reps if that makes you happy. As long as they improve I don't care.

So you never saw UConn in the “pseudo 4 man front” before yesterday?

Reaction Score
The three man rush backed up by soft zone coverage has been a S-H-I-T show all season. Thankfully we are running less of that but we still use it. (sad)

I was curious about Yale's defense since they shutout Holy Cross, they are multiple front (4 down and 3 down) but seldom do they rush three. Reading the bio's of their coaches it turns out their Defensive coordinator worked under Don Brown at BC, shocker. I don't care what you think of Diaco's recruiting, there is no way Yale has better athletes on defense than we do. Yale held Pujals to 10 - 22 passing for 89 yards. I doubt they played a soft zone. Pujals threw for over 500 yards last week against Monmouth.

Holy Cross fired their head coach today.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom