Gabby Williams tattoo | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Gabby Williams tattoo

Status
Not open for further replies.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
Dawn Staley has the same rule about covering tattoos, but I don't agree with it. I don't see MBB players having to cover tattoos, so why should women. I don't have a tattoo, nor would I ever want one, but people should do what they want as long as it isn't harming anyone. JMHO

Reaction Score
A large fraction of UConn fans are seniors, grandparents, and parents with little kids
to which the "sugar and spice and everything nice" characterization is very appealing.
Geno and CD promote this public persona to attract this fan base. Perhaps Dawn
Staley does too.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
A large fraction of UConn fans are seniors, grandparents, and parents with little kids
to which the "sugar and spice and everything nice" characterization is very appealing.
Staley does too.

I've heard some older fans gripe about Dawn liking to curse like a drunken sailor during games, but we had over 17,000 at our last home game, so it isn't hurting attendance too much. It's certainly the coaches' decisions, I just don't think it's a big deal.

T

TroyHouse66

Watch yer selves, folks...
If Gabby brought a dog with her from Nevada... it's at least half coyote.

"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog"
[Wouldn't be surprised if that isn't posted up on Gabby's dorm wall somewhere.]
That last game's 5-11" vs 6-5" match up looked head-to-head even at the very least.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I've heard some older fans gripe about Dawn liking to curse like a drunken sailor during games, but we had over 17,000 at our last home game, so it isn't hurting attendance too much. It's certainly the coaches' decisions, I just don't think it's a big deal.
It's not a big deal at all. Personally I love it. Seriously. Geno is known for using colorful language and it's one of the bigger pet peeves our orange friends seemed to have with him - that Pat was the epitome of class while Geno was on par with a drunken sailor. Frankly, as I said, I think it's terrific that she not only cusses like a sailor, but directs it at her players. In order to be the very best in WCBB, you can't pretend it's all puppies, kittens and teddy bears.

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
It's not a big deal at all. Personally I love it. Seriously. Geno is known for using colorful language and it's one of the bigger pet peeves our orange friends seemed to have with him - that Pat was the epitome of class while Geno was on par with a drunken sailor. Frankly, as I said, I think it's terrific that she not only cusses like a sailor, but directs it at her players. In order to be the very best in WCBB, you can't pretend it's all puppies, kittens and teddy bears.

I'm with you; there is no reason to coddle women's players, they need to be tough. Basketball is not a sport for the weak of heart. We have a world class equestrian team at USC - I bet their coach doesn't coddle them, either.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I'm with you; there is no reason to coddle women's players, they need to be tough. Basketball is not a sport for the weak of heart. We have a world class equestrian team at USC - I bet their coach doesn't coddle them, either.
UConn Polo:
Women's National Champions 1996, 1997, 1998, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
Men's National Champions 1972, 1973, 1974; Men's Final Four 1996, 1998, 2004, 2011;
MEN AND WOMEN FINAL FOUR 2009
http://www.polo.uconn.edu/
:)

Seriously, Geno's attitude is that he's going to treat his players as basketball players - period, not as girls who play basketball. From this article:

Listen to Auriemma talk about his method, and what emerges is a relentless attention to the details of execution. They have to tie their hair a certain way, and literally hit marks he tapes on the floor. So why don’t more programs teach like he does?

“That’s a good question, and it’s hard to answer,” Auriemma said the day before the title game, hanging in a back hallway of the Bridgestone Arena.” One reason, he believes, is the lingering problem of low expectations, a gender bias in the women’s game. Too many coaches ease up and demand less because they view their players through a female lens.

“I know guys in women’s basketball, and I know women in women’s basketball, who treat them like women,” Auriemma said. “And that’s being disrespectful to them, instead of just treating them as elite athletes and demanding that they reach a certain level.”

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
It is a different world today. Body art has become body ART and not traditional tattoos. Below is a pic of one of our pastors in Denver. She 6'1" and rows crew and does power lifting and most importantly is a good theologian and pastor. She is, also, a published author. Her body art is largely the liturgical year told through stained glass window panes.

http://www.nadiabolzweber.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/nadia-frame5-229x300.png

Reaction Score
There is one player with a very personal tatoo, as mentioned on an SNY show last year. I can't tell if it is covered. Because of what it means to the player, I hope it is not.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Are you f*ing kidding me??!!
301.jpg

cockhrnleghrn

Crowing rooster
Reaction Score
UConn Polo:
Women's National Champions 1996, 1997, 1998, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
Men's National Champions 1972, 1973, 1974; Men's Final Four 1996, 1998, 2004, 2011;
MEN AND WOMEN FINAL FOUR 2009
http://www.polo.uconn.edu/
:)

Seriously, Geno's attitude is that he's going to treat his players as basketball players - period, not as girls who play basketball. From this article:

Listen to Auriemma talk about his method, and what emerges is a relentless attention to the details of execution. They have to tie their hair a certain way, and literally hit marks he tapes on the floor. So why don’t more programs teach like he does?

“That’s a good question, and it’s hard to answer,” Auriemma said the day before the title game, hanging in a back hallway of the Bridgestone Arena.” One reason, he believes, is the lingering problem of low expectations, a gender bias in the women’s game. Too many coaches ease up and demand less because they view their players through a female lens.

“I know guys in women’s basketball, and I know women in women’s basketball, who treat them like women,” Auriemma said. “And that’s being disrespectful to them, instead of just treating them as elite athletes and demanding that they reach a certain level.”
I agree with Geno's approach; there is no reason they shouldn't be treated any other way. I'm sure it instills toughness in them, too.

Reaction Score
There is one player with a very personal tatoo, as mentioned on an SNY show last year. I can't tell if it is covered. Because of what it means to the player, I hope it is not.

If you are thinking of Chong's tattoo on her wrist which is a tribute to her brother it is not covered. Geno stated that due to the small size and meaning of the tattoo that he would not make Chong cover it.

Reaction Score
Staley does too.

I agree and I think it's a good policy, personally, I think the more ink a person has the more trashy they look.

Reaction Score
UCONN does not allow their players to have visible tattoos during games.

It's the UCONN way, and something CD and the other coaches enforce...

Correct. It is not the tattoo necessarily, but anything that sets you apart from the other players. No fingernail polish, no heavy makeup, lipstick, funny-colored hair, ostentatious 'doos...nothing. Goes along with the nameless unis and the familiar Bun. I've actually wondered about Nurse, Lou and Chong's 'doos...they seem to push the envelope at times.

I believe Shea Palph has a small tattoo on her ankle.

It's a daisy with a basketball for a pistil. Hardcore fans may remember the "Lumbar Tattoo" (aka Tramp Stamp) wardrobe malfunction scandal early in her first season as a coach at UConn.

Reaction Score
Simply don't understand the tattoo thing....................I've been telling my daughter that she needs to open up a chain of tattoo removal offices after college.................gonna be a whole lot of regretful moms and dads wanting to erase that bad body art when they have kids of their own..............as far as Gabby goes, she's been wearing that tape to cover it since her freshman year so nothing new about that

Reaction Score
I
Did we know she had one? I did not. It's on her left shoulder. In games she covers it with the kinesio athletic tape, but I saw it on the Geno show when they were showing clips of a practice.
If you had been poolside with the team at St. Thomas or Estero, you would have seen tattoos on several players.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I agree and I think it's a good policy, personally, I think the more ink a person has the more trashy they look.
They aren't called tattoos by the young people; it's body art, and a part of self-expression. It's no more trashy than any other fashion, IMO.

Reaction Score

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
You may call it art, Nan, and maybe it is, but when those young folk are in their 60's, the artist is gonna bring Salvador Dali to mind:
https://www.startalkradio.net/wp-content/uploads/2013/03/The-Persistence-of-Memory-1931.jpg
No one ever said a man will regret a tattoo when he's older; why is it only women that need to worry about it? Could it be people are judging women by their appearance? That's a double standard and, frankly, I'm tired seeing worthwhile people being judged by their looks.

tattooed-elderly-people-5__605.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak