Gabby Williams tattoo | The Boneyard

Gabby Williams tattoo

Status
Not open for further replies.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Did we know she had one? I did not. It's on her left shoulder. In games she covers it with the kinesio athletic tape, but I saw it on the Geno show when they were showing clips of a practice.

Reaction Score
Did we know she had one? I did not. It's on her left shoulder. In games she covers it with the kinesio athletic tape, but I saw it on the Geno show when they were showing clips of a practice.
I did. You must have seen the same clip I saw at least a month ago. It immediately explained the kinesio tape.

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Me 2-was a while back , probably the same clip. I'm a bit surprised that was not edited. It wasn't a particularly pertinent clip. Or maybe it was something UConn may have wanted out there.

HGN

Reaction Score
Family bond tattoo.........Easily covered by the athletic tape. I don't think it will be a problem.

Now if she shows up with a full 'sleeve' tat.......Geno may have a problem with that.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Family ties tat.

Like this?

Keatons-family-ties-20313933-634-604.png

Reaction Score
I believe Shea Palph has a small tattoo on her ankle.

Reaction Score

One of my favorite kids, Bria Hartley, has, among others, a large stylized basketball tattooed on her inner hip. After UConn, Stef tatted her inner forearm. Is that a negative reflection on them? I have to believe in 30 years at UConn others have also had discrete, less prominent tattoos. So Gabby has a shoulder tattoo. What does it really matter?? I know Geno (THE best WCBB coach ever) likes to control the UConn image and culture for his players (routines, dress, social media, etc) and I bet he believes (and I won't argue) that it has contributed to UConn's team-first focus and unparalleled success in WCBB. But unlike 25-30 years ago, when practically no girls had tattoos, today it is a socially acceptable way kids express themselves, their individuality etc. Almost forty years ago, I refused to talk to my son for pretty much an entire school year because he came home with a small tattoo on his arm (honoring his grandparents murdered in Auschwitz). I was irrational, I freaked out. He was a great young man (then and now) but I couldn't get past that darn tattoo. I have since learned not to judge people (kids or adults) because they choose to do things that harm nobody, I don't agree with, or I simply don't understand. (A Mike Tyson facial tribal tattoo excluded).

If all things were the same but DT or Maya had impossible-to-cover tattoos, would Geno have decided not to recruit them? Lauren Cox? I don't know. But if a kid is a really good kid, with her head "screwed on right," with solid family values, respectful of others, a team-first not a me-first kid, and a helluva basketball player - an out-there for-everyone-to-see neck tattoo or full sleeve shouldn't mean beans. That which matters is inside, not outside.

Reaction Score
Baylor must have a similar policy. Each year Brittney Griner played at Baylor it seemed as though her shirts that she wore under her uniforms got longer and longer until she eventually wore a long sleeve shirt under her uniform.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
Why is this a big deal? All the kids (OK a lot of them) have them now. It's not like last night's show revealed that she is involved in dog fighting.
Who says it's a big deal? I simply asked the question and mentioned that I had not noticed it before. :confused:

UCONN does not allow their players to have visible tattoos during games. Kennitra Johnson had one IIRC on her arm, and it was always covered with a large looking bandaid during games. Any UCONN player who has a visible tattoo will need to have it covered for games.

similar to no phones during practices or games, no twitter during the season, etc etc. It's the UCONN way, and something CD and the other coaches enforce...

Reaction Score
Geno's policy on tatoos may be keeping some young girls with UCONN aspirations from getting them (much to the delight of their parents)

alexrgct

RIP, Alex
Reaction Score

Shea also has one on her lower back. During her first couple of years as an assistant, it was often visible at live events and over TV. Suffice it to say she's covered up more since.

Icebear

Andlig Ledare
Reaction Score
Why is this a big deal? All the kids (OK a lot of them) have them now. It's not like last night's show revealed that she is involved in dog fighting.
Boy, you would have gotten grounded in my family for that comment. Mom or Dad regularly trotted out the old, "If everyone jumps off the bridge are you going to jump, too?"

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
One of my favorite kids, Bria Hartley, has, among others, a large stylized basketball tattooed on her inner hip. After UConn, Stef tatted her inner forearm. Is that a negative reflection on them? I have to believe in 30 years at UConn others have also had discrete, less prominent tattoos. So Gabby has a shoulder tattoo. What does it really matter?? I know Geno (THE best WCBB coach ever) likes to control the UConn image and culture for his players (routines, dress, social media, etc) and I bet he believes (and I won't argue) that it has contributed to UConn's team-first focus and unparalleled success in WCBB. But unlike 25-30 years ago, when practically no girls had tattoos, today it is a socially acceptable way kids express themselves, their individuality etc. Almost forty years ago, I refused to talk to my son for pretty much an entire school year because he came home with a small tattoo on his arm (honoring his grandparents murdered in Auschwitz). I was irrational, I freaked out. He was a great young man (then and now) but I couldn't get past that darn tattoo. I have since learned not to judge people (kids or adults) because they choose to do things that harm nobody, I don't agree with, or I simply don't understand. (A Mike Tyson facial tribal tattoo excluded).

If all things were the same but DT or Maya had impossible-to-cover tattoos, would Geno have decided not to recruit them? Lauren Cox? I don't know. But if a kid is a really good kid, with her head "screwed on right," with solid family values, respectful of others, a team-first not a me-first kid, and a helluva basketball player - an out-there for-everyone-to-see neck tattoo or full sleeve shouldn't mean beans. That which matters is inside, not outside.
It's not Geno, it's CD. And her rule is "no visible tatoos while in uniform" not "no tattoos at all". It's a rule that goes along with the "no name on the back of the uniform" thing - it's all about the team, not the individual. The kids seem to be OK with it.

Reaction Score
In a post right after "first night" festivities I mentioned that I had noticed a small
tatoo group on the back of Gabby's left shoulder, and I opined that perhaps the
"no visible tatoo" rule was no more.

Obviously the rule is still in effect. Perhaps it wasn't covered on "first night" because
it was only going to be visible to the immediate UConn community?

Geno-ista

Embracing the New Look!!!
Reaction Score
Now we have a problem with "dog fighting" on this board???

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
This is a topic? Boredom setting in amongst the thrashings.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
Mom or Dad regularly trotted out the old, "If everyone jumps off the bridge are you going to jump, too?"
Why not? It's obviously fun or everybody wouldn't do it. And obviously can't be that dangerous or everyone wouldn't do it, lot's of chicken's out there. Besides if you are the only one left what's the point of living?

Though I never actually said that out loud to my parents. Or I wouldn't be here today. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom