OT: - Florida State to sue ACC over GOR | Page 17 | The Boneyard

OT: Florida State to sue ACC over GOR

Reaction Score
I
That is not a good article. It claims FSU won’t get into the Big10 due to AAU status, but says that Clemson is a dark horse to the Big10 despite its lack of AAU membership. Doesn’t make sense.

Just my opinion, but I think outside of ND, FSU is the Big10’s top target.
don’t agree with him on Clemson, but the B1G has studied Miami, GT, UNC & UVA. All 4 of those schools could get the necessary votes (75%) to get into the B1G and the SEC. FSU can’t get enough votes from either conference and their lawsuit makes it even more difficult to those votes

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score
I

don’t agree with him on Clemson, but the B1G has studied Miami, GT, UNC & UVA. All 4 of those schools could get the necessary votes (75%) to get into the B1G and the SEC. FSU can’t get enough votes from either conference and their lawsuit makes it even more difficult to those votes
How do you know FSU can’t get the votes?

Reaction Score
I

A lot of informed people think FSU has been talking to the B1G for over a year and have been told that if they get out of the ACC they'll get their B1G invite; hence their very public maneuvers. What makes you say they don't have the votes for the B1G?

Reaction Score
I highly doubt ESPN will not extend the contract given that they just lost all of the B1G content and given the huge profit they are getting from the ACCN.

Then why didn't they extend it before the first deadline passed? The ACC Commissioner had to step in and extend the deadline for ESPN to extend the contract. If the ACC is so profitable to ESPN, what's the holdup?

Why does ESPN talk down about the ACC, even though it owns the rights to the ACC? Why is the ACC second fiddle to the SEC in coverage? You would think ESPN would want to talk up their investment in the ACC. Unless they know they are about to part ways.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
It sounds like either a simple option to extend at a set rate or an option to terminate if ESPN is losing money. I highly doubt ESPN will not extend the contract given that they just lost all of the B1G content and given the huge profit they are getting from the ACCN.

If people come stampeding back to cable, then you will probably be right. Are people going to come stampeding back to cable?

Reaction Score
I suspect that when the full story comes out it will be somewhat different. My guess is something like the sides couldn’t agree on a price, then ESPN and the ACC agreed to extend the deadline at the current rate while the sides worked out the extension. Philips ran it by the management committee or whatever it is called who agreed and they briefed the rest of the members who didn’t object.
Spot on. People need to remember that the facts in initial claims are often (always?) written in a fashion that seem damning until you get to the rest of the story. And if you have seen enough large corporate filings you have seen that they are often just factually inaccurate.

Reaction Score
Spot on. People need to remember that the facts in initial claims are often (always?) written in a fashion that seem damning until you get to the rest of the story. And if you have seen enough large corporate filings you have seen that they are often just factually inaccurate.

I like it when you finish that quickly, your butt does not look big in that and of course everything I put in my complaint is accurate and the full story.

Reaction Score
The ratings are actually pretty good. The AD revenue per AD is much higher in Boston & NY versus other more rural markets. They don’t need as many viewers. It’s dollars the networks count.
BC does not drive ratings. BC gets good ratings when they play a school that drives ratings and they are on ABC or ESPN. Last year, four of BC's football games were on the ACCN, 1 was on CBSSN, and 1 was on The CW. If they were a ratings driving team, you would have seen them more on ABC or ESPN as the networks understand what schools drive ratings. Their highest rated game was against FSU on ABC, both of which are ratings enhancers.

This is why FSU wants out of the ACC. If schools like BC, Wake, Duke drove higher football TV ratings, the media contract would be much better for the ACC.

Reaction Score
Florida AG requests documents from ACC related to FSU's lawsuit

Andrea Adelson, ESPN Senior Writer
Jan 4, 2024, 04:50 PM ET

Florida Attorney General Ashley Moody has sent a letter to the ACC requesting multiple documents related to Florida State's lawsuit against the conference, including the grant of rights agreement.

In a statement Thursday, Moody said she requested, among other items: An executed copy of the multimedia agreement between the ACC and ESPN; an executed copy of the 2014 amended multimedia agreement; an executed copy of the ACC grant of rights agreement; any other executed agreements with ESPN; and any other executed agreements between the ACC and the Walt Disney Company.

"One of Florida's top universities is facing the possibility of forfeiting more than half a billion dollars, and the ACC is refusing to hand over the agreements at the center of this astronomical financial penalty," Moody said in a statement. "They are unlawfully keeping these documents locked away in North Carolina. However, North Carolina and Florida state laws are clear that these agreements are public records and must be handed over immediately. Today, I am taking action to ensure FSU and the public are able to review these agreements."

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Florida AG requests documents from ACC related to FSU's lawsuit

Andrea Adelson, ESPN Senior Writer
Jan 4, 2024, 04:50 PM ET

Florida Attorney General Ashley Moody has sent a letter to the ACC requesting multiple documents related to Florida State's lawsuit against the conference, including the grant of rights agreement.

In a statement Thursday, Moody said she requested, among other items: An executed copy of the multimedia agreement between the ACC and ESPN; an executed copy of the 2014 amended multimedia agreement; an executed copy of the ACC grant of rights agreement; any other executed agreements with ESPN; and any other executed agreements between the ACC and the Walt Disney Company.

"One of Florida's top universities is facing the possibility of forfeiting more than half a billion dollars, and the ACC is refusing to hand over the agreements at the center of this astronomical financial penalty," Moody said in a statement. "They are unlawfully keeping these documents locked away in North Carolina. However, North Carolina and Florida state laws are clear that these agreements are public records and must be handed over immediately. Today, I am taking action to ensure FSU and the public are able to review these agreements."

Snack Popcorn GIF by Get Out Movie

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
That is not a good article. It claims FSU won’t get into the Big10 due to AAU status, but says that Clemson is a dark horse to the Big10 despite its lack of AAU membership. Doesn’t make sense.

Just my opinion, but I think outside of ND, FSU is the Big10’s top target.

That’s a guy writing for free, by the way.

I think North Carolina, Virginia, Georgia Tech, Florida State…in that order.

Reaction Score

I think FSU is at the top of your list. Winning championships matters. When this is a two conference sport, the B1G is going to need to beat the SEC more often. FSU is best equipped to do that, by a wide margin.

I understand the value in Georgia Tech, but it’s hard to see Clemson being passed over in this whole thing.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

I’m not convinced on Virginia at all. This round seems to be about football first and market second. Virginia just doesn’t fit the bill. Football just isn’t UVA’s thing. If they were solely looking at academics and research, Stanford and Cal would have been locks to join. They both have better academic chops than UVA and Stanford is a giant in R&D.

My order is FSU and UNC with Virginia, GT, Clemson and Miami with slight chances. There’s only so many spots left and the Big10 has to be picky. Their obvious #1 choice is ND, but that ain’t happening so I thinks it’s FSU and UNC, in that order. I think UNC is probably going to the SEC, but the Big10 doesn’t have to take a #20. They can sit at 19 for as long as they want. With divisionless scheduling, an even number is not required.

Not that this means anything, but Flugar was talking about FSU to the Big10 back when UMD left the ACC. If (and that’s a big if) he has a contact that l owns the inter workings of the Big10, FSU and the Big10 have been flirting with each other for over a decade.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
, FSU and the Big10 have been flirting with each other for over a decade
That does seem to be the big tens modus operandi. They were stringing Rutgers along forever before they finally pulled the trigger.

Reaction Score
I’m not convinced on Virginia at all. This round seems to be about football first and market second. Virginia just doesn’t fit the bill. Football just isn’t UVA’s thing. If they were solely looking at academics and research, Stanford and Cal would have been locks to join. They both have better academic chops than UVA and Stanford is a giant in R&D.

My order is FSU and UNC with Virginia, GT, Clemson and Miami with slight chances. There’s only so many spots left and the Big10 has to be picky. Their obvious #1 choice is ND, but that ain’t happening so I thinks it’s FSU and UNC, in that order. I think UNC is probably going to the SEC, but the Big10 doesn’t have to take a #20. They can sit at 19 for as long as they want. With divisionless scheduling, an even number is not required.

I agree those are the only schools that stand a chance of getting into the B1G. I would have Miami higher on the list, rather than the bottom.

My order:
1. Notre Dame (not happening)
2. Florida State
3. North Carolina
4. Miami
5. Clemson
6. Georgia Tech
7. Virginia

Since Notre Dame is going nowhere, Florida State is #19. North Carolina gets first dibs to be #20, but may choose the SEC, in which case I see Miami as getting #20.

Clemson is a dark horse as a top football brand.

Georgia Tech is a dark horse to have a home base in Atlanta for Georgia recruiting.

Virginia brings the lease of any of these schools. Maryland already gives the B1G northern Virginia, which is the most populated part of VA.

It kind of sucks that some of the top basketball bluebloods are out there just ripe for the picking - Kansas, UConn, Duke - but basketball does not drive the bus of conference realignment.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
I agree those are the only schools that stand a chance of getting into the B1G. I would have Miami higher on the list, rather than the bottom.

My order:
2. Florida State
3. North Carolina
4. Miami
5. Clemson
6. Georgia Tech
7. Virginia

Since Notre Dame is going nowhere, Florida State is #19. North Carolina gets first dibs to be #20, but may choose the SEC, in which case I see Miami as getting #20.

Clemson is a dark horse as a top football brand.

Georgia Tech is a dark horse to have a home base in Atlanta for Georgia recruiting.

Virginia brings the lease of any of these schools. Maryland already gives the B1G northern Virginia, which is the most populated part of VA.

It kind of sucks that some of the top basketball bluebloods are out there just ripe for the picking - Kansas, UConn, Duke - but basketball does not drive the bus of conference realignment.

Almost every ACC school would be a significant upgrade of some of the Big 10 bottom feeders like Rutgers. The Big 10 will have some decisions to make.

Reaction Score
Almost every ACC school would be a significant upgrade of some of the Big 10 bottom feeders like Rutgers. The Big 10 will have some decisions to make.

Somebody has to eat those losses to the top brands.

Rutgers has vastly improved competitively since joining the B1G in most sports, although they still aren't to the point of challenging for football or basketball titles. When playing other leagues, Rutgers is more than holding its own. In the last 3 football games vs. ACC teams, Rutgers is 3-0, with wins over Miami, Virginia Tech and Boston College.

Rutgers has qualified for multiple NCAA basketball tournaments in recent years. When have they ever been able to say that? As of now, they have the #3 recruiting class in the nation, only trailing Duke and Kentucky.

All the while they still aren't getting a full conference payout from the B1G, as they are still in the process of repaying loans the B1G gave them in the early years in the conference. They have utilized their funds to improve their athletic facilities in multiple sports and they are now challenging - and starting to win - conference championships in Olympic sports.

I personally don't give a crap one way or another for Rutgers, but they are taking full advantage of their opportunities in the B1G.

Reaction Score

My order:
2. Florida State
3. North Carolina
4. Miami
5. Clemson
6. Georgia Tech
7. Virginia

B1G
1. UNC
2. UVA
3. ND
4. Miami

SEC
1. Miami
2. Clemson
3. FSU

Reaction Score
nACC
1. BC
2. Syracuse
3. Pitt
4. Duke
5. VaTech
6. NC State
7. Wake Forest
8. Georgia Tech
9. SMU
10. Cal
11. Stanford
12. Louisville

So, Big 12 your move?

Reaction Score
B1G
1. UNC
2. UVA
3. ND
4. Miami

SEC
1. Miami
2. Clemson
3. FSU
That could theoretically put the conferences at 68:
B1G = 22
SEC = 16 (omitting Miami)
Big 12 = 18
ACC = 12

4 conferences could mean a few more callups
3 conferences would mean carving up the ACC

Reaction Score
That could theoretically put the conferences at 68:
B1G = 22
SEC = 16 (omitting Miami)
Big 12 = 18
ACC = 12

4 conferences could mean a few more callups
3 conferences would mean carving up the ACC
So if 3 conferences =56= +12 from ACC and other sources? Is 68 the magic number or is that a guess. If 68, looks like Huskies vs Pitt, BC, Syr and Wake for the last spots on the life raft. Who else has a shot? Liberty, JMU, Ore St, Wash St?? What's the timeline on whatever this "next move" is?

Fun stuff, and because of Rule #1, none of us have any hope for salvation, so we are rooting for the demise of BC and Syracuse??

Don't really care, just looking forward to Mora yr 3, but enjoy all of the (mostly) thoughtful analysis and hypotheticizing(word or no?) that the BY does.

Reaction Score
BC does not drive ratings. BC gets good ratings when they play a school that drives ratings and they are on ABC or ESPN. Last year, four of BC's football games were on the ACCN, 1 was on CBSSN, and 1 was on The CW. If they were a ratings driving team, you would have seen them more on ABC or ESPN as the networks understand what schools drive ratings. Their highest rated game was against FSU on ABC, both of which are ratings enhancers.

This is why FSU wants out of the ACC. If schools like BC, Wake, Duke drove higher football TV ratings, the media contract would be much better for the ACC.
You don’t understand, without a team in Boston the viewership and the AD revenue go down. Boston is too big of a market not to have a team in. Why do you think Rutgers got into the B1G over us?

Reaction Score
If people come stampeding back to cable, then you will probably be right. Are people going to come stampeding back to cable?
ESPN offers a ton of streaming and still most people have both cable and streaming. It’s not that expensive to have both. ESPN needs content for both as well.

Reaction Score
So if 3 conferences =56= +12 from ACC and other sources? Is 68 the magic number or is that a guess. If 68, looks like Huskies vs Pitt, BC, Syr and Wake for the last spots on the life raft. Who else has a shot? Liberty, JMU, Ore St, Wash St?? What's the timeline on whatever this "next move" is?

Fun stuff, and because of Rule #1, none of us have any hope for salvation, so we are rooting for the demise of BC and Syracuse??

Don't really care, just looking forward to Mora yr 3, but enjoy all of the (mostly) thoughtful analysis and hypotheticizing(word or no?) that the BY does.
I don’t see ESPN letting any of their product/teams go to Fox & NBC via the B1G.

The likely outcome if FSU can create enough doubt in the strength of the GOR is a new, unequal revenue sharing model in the ACC.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom