OT: - Florida State to sue ACC over GOR | Page 16 | The Boneyard

OT: Florida State to sue ACC over GOR

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Apparently ACC commissioner Jim Phillips extended an ESPN contract extension deadline on his own without league approval.

This might be the crux that gets FSU out of the GOR, who knows.

I do not believe this story. Phillips may be a liar, but no one would be stupid enough to do what this tweet accuses him of.

Reaction Score
Well the selection committee has been vindicated. (And Uconn got s*** for its performance vs Oklahoma, 34-20 going into the 4th)....this game should serve as grounds for dismissal regarding any litigation. What an absolute blood bath. In the end fsu has/had no gripe.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
FSU did a great job proving their case that the ACC is trash
And showing their true colors as a member of a conference.

CL82

Reaction Score
Last edited:

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Well the selection committee has been vindicated. (And Uconn got s*** for its performance vs Oklahoma, 34-20 going into the 4th)....this game should serve as grounds for dismissal regarding any litigation. What an absolute blood bath. In the end fsu has/had no gripe.

Is that really what you took away from that game?

Reaction Score
I think this is getting at the crux of all of what will occur to the ACC. We have the PAC as Exhibit 1...

The PAC was gutted because like most/all conferences, it had tiers of values that the schools were worth. The most valuable (USC, UCLA, OR and WA) went to the B1G. The rest went to the Big12, the ACC, or were left behind.

It's called realignment and money/value is driving the movements. So, why would the ACC be any different? It has upper tier schools (e.g. FSU and a few others) that are worth more to tv outlets/advertisers that will move to higher end conferences and it has others that will move elsewhere as well. All of this works well for the media outlets because it can generate more higher viewed games that advertisers will pay more to place their ads on. And, they shed paying for low-vale schools. Pretty basic business drivers.

The lower viewed schools more and more will be left to play each other and do it more frequently on lower end platforms/streaming. Higher end schools will be on the best platforms. Again, basic business drivers.

FSU has higher football aspirations than the rest of the ACC and has determined in order for them to optimize their past, current, and future investments in football that it is better off moving out of the ACC. Not much to argue there...

So, they announce they seek a divorce. They think they have enough legal grounds and public pressure to make a move that will cost them less than their exit costs over some period of time they find reasonable.

They've clearly thought about all of this for several years. They've lined up strategy on raising exit monies and it's pretty common belief amongst insiders and unbiased reporters that they have had enough detailed input from third party media consultants to feel confident that they are valued by at least one of the two high value conferences (B1G and SEC) to have a landing spot if/when they free themselves.

I think they know they have a spot in the B1G and are now willing to leave the ACC and are confident that they can negotiate a settlement substantially less than the $572m amount they believe is the high end. I think they believe they have enough dirt/legal ground that they won't be sitting across the ACC in a court room.

If this occurs, then the door will be open for other high value ACC schools to leave as well. Seems like the FSU settlement will range from (a) no GOR and 60% of exit fee at the floor to (b) full $572m at the ceiling. So, maybe $130 to $572m? Am I wrong on this range?

They certainly seem comfortable making this all public and so they must be convinced that over the long haul even at the higher end of the GOR + exit cost range, that they will come out ahead financially while raising their football brand.
Good summary. And even if the math works out that your break-even is years down the road, it's probably worth paying the cover charge for P2 admittance. What is the value of P2 membership and ensuring you are included in whatever happens with P2 vs being left behind with the rest of the G-leagues? Priceless. Amazing that it could cost FSU hundreds of millions while your Mississippi States and Rutgerses get a free or ultra cheap ride.

Reaction Score
Good summary. And even if the math works out that your break-even is years down the road, it's probably worth paying the cover charge for P2 admittance. What is the value of P2 membership and ensuring you are included in whatever happens with P2 vs being left behind with the rest of the G-leagues? Priceless. Amazing that it could cost FSU hundreds of millions while your Mississippi States and Rutgerses get a free or ultra cheap ride.

At some point in the future there be something like 32 teams in a premier league. Will they be permanent or will there be relegation. I think the latter may ward off lawsuits since everyone, theoretically, has a chance.

Reaction Score
A lot of big teams got smoked this bowl season: FSU, Ohio State, Penn State, etc. The bowl games are becoming pointless with how many players are opting out and coaches protecting their NFL bound players as much as possible.
Having a chip on our shoulders has certainly worked for our hoops team. I don’t care who played or didn’t play. FSU proved to be a bunch of pansies who suck

Reaction Score
The

Their victory yesterday vs SMU was a bummer. My neighbor is a a BC alum and is very arrogant that their program is recovering now. They always seem to slither into a secure spot while we are rejected at every turn. Maddening. Our awful season in 2023 came at a vulnerable time
It’s simply due to their location. Yes, they have some cache with their football history, but Boston is a huge market, the capital of New England. Location, location, location

Reaction Score
I think this is getting at the crux of all of what will occur to the ACC. We have the PAC as Exhibit 1...

The PAC was gutted because like most/all conferences, it had tiers of values that the schools were worth. The most valuable (USC, UCLA, OR and WA) went to the B1G. The rest went to the Big12, the ACC, or were left behind.

It's called realignment and money/value is driving the movements. So, why would the ACC be any different? It has upper tier schools (e.g. FSU and a few others) that are worth more to tv outlets/advertisers that will move to higher end conferences and it has others that will move elsewhere as well. All of this works well for the media outlets because it can generate more higher viewed games that advertisers will pay more to place their ads on. And, they shed paying for low-vale schools. Pretty basic business drivers.

The lower viewed schools more and more will be left to play each other and do it more frequently on lower end platforms/streaming. Higher end schools will be on the best platforms. Again, basic business drivers.

FSU has higher football aspirations than the rest of the ACC and has determined in order for them to optimize their past, current, and future investments in football that it is better off moving out of the ACC. Not much to argue there...

So, they announce they seek a divorce. They think they have enough legal grounds and public pressure to make a move that will cost them less than their exit costs over some period of time they find reasonable.

They've clearly thought about all of this for several years. They've lined up strategy on raising exit monies and it's pretty common belief amongst insiders and unbiased reporters that they have had enough detailed input from third party media consultants to feel confident that they are valued by at least one of the two high value conferences (B1G and SEC) to have a landing spot if/when they free themselves.

I think they know they have a spot in the B1G and are now willing to leave the ACC and are confident that they can negotiate a settlement substantially less than the $572m amount they believe is the high end. I think they believe they have enough dirt/legal ground that they won't be sitting across the ACC in a court room.

If this occurs, then the door will be open for other high value ACC schools to leave as well. Seems like the FSU settlement will range from (a) no GOR and 60% of exit fee at the floor to (b) full $572m at the ceiling. So, maybe $130 to $572m? Am I wrong on this range?

They certainly seem comfortable making this all public and so they must be convinced that over the long haul even at the higher end of the GOR + exit cost range, that they will come out ahead financially while raising their football brand.
FSU attorney has tipped his hand by saying that he wants a settlement on a new revenue sharing model with the ACC. They want the money of the B1G, but not the travel or the schedule.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
FSU attorney has tipped his hand by saying that he wants a settlement on a new revenue sharing model with the ACC. They want the money of the B1G, but not the travel or the schedule.

Obviously, every school in the ACC would be happier if BCU got a lot less money out of the conference TV contract.

Reaction Score
It’s simply due to their location. Yes, they have some cache with their football history, but Boston is a huge market, the capital of New England. Location, location, location
Ou really think the P2/P3 conferences value BC because of the Boston market? CFB TV ratings there suck. It's 100% a pro town.

dayooper

It's what I do. I drink and I know things.
Reaction Score

CL82

Reaction Score
That is not a good article. It claims FSU won’t get into the Big10 due to AAU status, but says that Clemson is a dark horse to the Big10 despite its lack of AAU membership. Doesn’t make sense.

Just my opinion, but I think outside of ND, FSU is the Big10’s top target.
The author lost me at the claim that "neither of the three" will leave.

Reaction Score
I do not believe this story. Phillips may be a liar, but no one would be stupid enough to do what this tweet accuses him of.
I suspect that when the full story comes out it will be somewhat different. My guess is something like the sides couldn’t agree on a price, then ESPN and the ACC agreed to extend the deadline at the current rate while the sides worked out the extension. Philips ran it by the management committee or whatever it is called who agreed and they briefed the rest of the members who didn’t object.

Reaction Score
Obviously, every school in the ACC would be happier if BCU got a lot less money out of the conference TV contract.
The complaint from FSU is that the 4 NC schools get too much of the revenue. Having 4 schools in one state has always been over saturation by the ACC. The complaint by FSU against BC has been that BC does not spend enough on their football program.

Reaction Score
I suspect that when the full story comes out it will be somewhat different. My guess is something like the sides couldn’t agree on a price, then ESPN and the ACC agreed to extend the deadline at the current rate while the sides worked out the extension. Philips ran it by the management committee or whatever it is called who agreed and they briefed the rest of the members who didn’t object.
It sounds like either a simple option to extend at a set rate or an option to terminate if ESPN is losing money. I highly doubt ESPN will not extend the contract given that they just lost all of the B1G content and given the huge profit they are getting from the ACCN.

Reaction Score
Ou really think the P2/P3 conferences value BC because of the Boston market? CFB TV ratings there suck. It's 100% a pro town.
The ratings are actually pretty good. The AD revenue per AD is much higher in Boston & NY versus other more rural markets. They don’t need as many viewers. It’s dollars the networks count.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom