Finally getting to hear Ines's Voice ? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Finally getting to hear Ines's Voice ?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Is anyone else impressed by how all our international players have complete fluency in English?

CL82

Reaction Score
No. Why is that surprising?
Because in the US, foreign language fluency is far less common than it is in Europe, at least in my experience.

What’s impressive to me is not only that they have command multiple languages, but that they are virtually accent free. Impressive as all heck, in my opinion.

Reaction Score
Because in the US, foreign language fluency is far less common than it is in Europe, at least in my experience.

What’s impressive to me is not only that they have command multiple languages, but that they are virtually accent free. Impressive as all heck, in my opinion.
I think they are taught English from a young age unlike us trying to master a second language when we are teenagers or older. Plus they consume a ton of American content through social media and platforms like youtube, Netflix, Apple TV, etc. I've had classmates and now co-workers from Norway, Denmark, and Germany to name a few, that speak English with an almost perfect American accent, so it's not that surprising to me.

Reaction Score
And, with Europe being such a compact continent, the size and close proximity of countries almost demands that you be multi-lingual to conduct business or travel.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
You type in a unique identifying number and it will allow you to speak with someone who’s not in the same room with you.

You’re welcome.
And people feel they are entitled to your constant and sometimes conspicuous accessibility, and feel offended when they don't get it, or are blocked from it. People also find it comforting to have the same conversations with the same group of people multiple times a day. Ultimately they have little else to talk about other than themselves or each other. Also, if every identification number is unique then by definition none are.

CL82

Reaction Score
Also, if every identification number is unique then by definition none are.
Thinking No GIF by Audacy

I think you are thinking of that great Incredibles quote “ And when everyone is a super, no one will be.”

JordyG

Reaction Score
Thinking No GIF by Audacy

I think you are thinking of that great Incredibles quote “ And when everyone is a super, no one will be.”
I never saw The Incredibles. I have been saying for years, and especially during this participation trophy era, if everyone is special then no one is special. Each ID number and every human is different, but that doesn't make each of them or us perforce special or unique. There is an infinite number of prime numbers, each one different, but in the context of primes, none are special.

CL82

Reaction Score
I never saw The Incredibles. I have been saying for years, and especially during this participation trophy era, if everyone is special then no one is special. Each ID number and every human is different, but that doesn't make each of them or us perforce special or unique. There is an infinite number of prime numbers, each one different, but in the context of primes, none are special.
Definitionally and identifying number needs to be unique. Otherwise it doesn’t indemnify an individual, right?

JordyG

Reaction Score
Definitionally and identifying number needs to be unique. Otherwise it doesn’t indemnify an individual, right?
I'm sure you mean identify and not indemnify. They need to be different, not unique. Each snowflake is different in shape, but not unique. Can you tell how they differentiate in a snow bank? We've all become so accustomed to throwing around the word unique that we've become inured to its real meaning. 678555 and 12345 are both prime numbers. Both are different, but in the context of prime numbers, neither are unique or special.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I'm sure you mean identify and not indemnify. They need to be different, not unique. Each snowflake is different in shape, but not unique. Can you tell how they differentiate in a snow bank? We've all become so accustomed to throwing around the word unique that we've become inured to its real meaning. 678555 and 12345 are both prime numbers. Both are different, but in the context of prime numbers, neither are unique or special.
Typo? Any multi digit number ending in 5 is divisible by 5

CL82

Reaction Score
No, no, I meant unique. Unique is a singular thing which is different from every other thing.. Some thing can be different vis-à-vis one thing but similar, or even identical vis-à-vis another. Identifying numbers need to be unique

Reaction Score
To me, any number is unique because it is uniquely different than any other number. Inherently. Intrinsically. You can sort and group and qualify any way you want but 4 is different than 3 and they inherently have different meanings and relationships. Reducing it beyond those designed representations can help us define our world but the numbers do not change or lose their inherent "being".

Reaction Score
No, no, I meant unique. Unique is a singular thing which is different from every other thing.. Some thing can be different vis-à-vis one thing but similar, or even identical vis-à-vis another. Identifying numbers need to be unique
We are seriously getting off topic here.

I remember a DBA talking about a "singular instantiation". I said to him, you mean there was only one? Sheepishly he said "yeah".

CL82

Reaction Score
We are seriously getting off topic here.

I remember a DBA talking about a "singular instantiation". I said to him, you mean there was only one? Sheepishly he said "yeah".
Singular instantiation? Wasn’t that the closing number from the A Chorus Line?

“One, singular instantiation, every little step she takes…”

Reaction Score
These would appear to tell us that Inês has been totally integrated into "the in crowd" of UConn women's basketball. Good for her! She's got a lot of pep.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom