• South Carolina/LSU

Votes: 18 22.5%
  • South Carolina/Virginia Tech

Votes: 50 62.5%

• Total voters

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Who advances to Sunday? We have 2 fantastic matchups ahead.

Match up 1: LSU vs. Virginia Tech

Storylines to watch:

Post battle between Kitley/Reese will be really intriguing. Reese is not as polished but goes hard for every single ball, is extremely long and an absolute animal on the boards. Kitley has better touch and post skills but lacks the same motor Angel has. Both are All Americans. Do they neutralize each other or does 1 get the better of the other?

Both have brilliant playmaking scoring point guards in Alexis Morris and Georgia Amoore. Amoore especially has made some ridiculous shots while Morris is capable of lighting teams up and creating on her own. Amoore is more of a given in that she oozes confidence and you know she's going to take 15-20 shots, though she isn't the most efficient shooter. Morris is a wildcard. When she's assertive she's an elite level scorer and can carry LSU offensively. When she isn't, she has a tendency to completely disappear. She averages 15 ppg but she rarely scores in the 10-15 point range. It's usually 15+ or under 7. If she's aggressive and making shots, I think it give LSU a major edge.

Likely not game relevant but worth noting:
Former teammates and projected as the #1/#2 preseason transfers, Angel Reese and Ashley Owusu will compete against each other this game. Their transfer experiences could not be any more different. Angel has blossomed into a 1st Team All American and NPOY candidate, is known as the "Bayou Barbie," and is an absolute star in Baton Rouge. Ashley Owusu is buried on the bench at VT, seems disconnected form her teammates, and hasn't played in a month despite being healthy. A tale of 2 very different stories that show the extremes of potential transfer portal outcomes.

Kim Mulkey leads her 2nd program to a Final Four, just the third coach in history to do so (CViv String and Gary Blair being the others). Her coaching job and turn around at LSU has been nothing short of remarkable. Her outfits have also been next level. Can't wait to see what eye sorer she brings out for the Final Four. Kenny Brooks is in his first Final Four at Virginia Tech and has also done an incredible job coaching his team this year.

Prediction
I think Virginia Tech takes this. They aren't as athletic as LSU but they run a smoother offense and I could see Reese struggling against Kitley's length and presence inside. LSU has other players capable of stepping up, but I think Virginia Tech is the more complete team and seems primed to win a game like this.

Match up 2: South Carolina vs. Iowa

Storylines to watch:
I think everyone has been salivating for this matchup. Right now tickets on Stubhub are almost $450 a piece for nose bleeds, $800 for lower level seats.

You have 2 teams with drastically different styles of play. The best offensive team in the nation vs. the best defensive team. Iowa is guard dominant and thrives on great passing, ball movement and lights out shooting. South Carolina is front court dominant and thrives on post play, rebounding, and tough physical defense.

Caitlin Clark of Iowa is the likely National Player of the Year, while last year's was South Carolina's Aliyah Boston. Both years it has been hotly debated about who deserves to win. Both have been brilliant, yet they are completely different players with drastically different strengths they bring to the table. This debate has created some animosity among fan bases, and I think both sides are craving to watch this matchup to get bragging rights for why their player is better and deserves it more. Ironically, I don't think Clark/Boston really care much about individual awards.

In terms of in game matchups. Czinano vs. Boston is going to be an important one for Iowa. They have to get some production out of their other star player, but going up against Boston and SC's bigs will be a task she hasn't faced all year (or her entire career). She is shorter and lacks the length and athleticism that SC's bigs possess. If she can 5-6 buckets and stay active on the glass, it'll be a big boost for the Hawkeyes.

Who guards Clark? Logic says Beal but I'm guessing Dawn throws several different players at her. Beal is an excellent defender but I wasn't impressed by her defense on Miller/Meyers tonight. If she has trouble stopping Clark off the bounce, they can try Cooke who is an excellent defender, but Clark can likely shoot over Cooke with her height difference. Their ability to slowdown Clark is paramount to their success. I'm sure Dawn will craft up a solid game plan for this, and I'm guessing several different looks will be thrown at Caitlin.

Prediction:
If Iowa can hit shots and Clark can find ways to create vs SC's defense, they have a shot. Realistically though, I think South Carolina is just too big and dominant inside for Iowa to pull this out. Tonight Maryland executed a solid game plan and shot 50% from the field, yet the game never felt in question largely due to SC's dominance on the boards (+22). I don't see Iowa having a viable solution for keeping Cardoso/Boston off the glass and I think that ultimately will be the difference. Logic says South Carolina, heart says Iowa. Should be a great game.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
So happy that the finals are Sunday afternoon on regular TV. I used to hate it when it was on a Tuesday evening.

The game is at 3:30 this year. You need to plan for a late lunch.;)

Hey hey... Where i come from, there is no such thing as a Sunday lunch. The Sunday afternoon meal is always dinner, even if its just something basic like cheese grits and bacon. :eek:

Reaction Score
So happy that the finals are Sunday afternoon on regular TV. I used to hate it when it was on a Tuesday evening.

Hey hey... Where i come from, there is no such thing as a Sunday lunch. The Sunday afternoon meal is always dinner, even if its just something basic like cheese grits and bacon. :eek:
Fair enough. I'll defer to the North Carolina rules of meal etiquette here. ;)

bbsamjj

Rutgers Rooter
Reaction Score
Great analysis bballnut90 and I largely agree with you. Interesting you mentioned the Reese/Owusu transfers. Arguably, all three teams (MD, LSU, VT) benefited, even with Owusu relegated to the bench--they've all had their best years in some time, and if MD hadn't been in SC's region, I could have seen them being a real threat for the Final 4.

LSU hasn't found their offense virtually all tournament. Are they due? Or will it finally catch up to them? Both teams rely on their starting 5, so foul trouble could hurt either of them significantly. VA Tech has looked like better, more confident team thus far, so agree they have (slight) edge.

On Iowa/SC--if Clark is off (shooting under 40%), Iowa has no chance. And if SC is on (shooting above 35% from 3pt range), it will be very hard to beat them. BUT, if Clark continues her run and SC again goes cold from outside...it could be interesting.

Reaction Score
Great analysis bballnut90 and I largely agree with you. Interesting you mentioned the Reese/Owusu transfers. Arguably, all three teams (MD, LSU, VT) benefited, even with Owusu relegated to the bench--they've all had their best years in some time, and if MD hadn't been in SC's region, I could have seen them being a real threat for the Final 4.

LSU hasn't found their offense virtually all tournament. Are they due? Or will it finally catch up to them? Both teams rely on their starting 5, so foul trouble could hurt either of them significantly. VA Tech has looked like better, more confident team thus far, so agree they have (slight) edge.

On Iowa/SC--if Clark is off (shooting under 40%), Iowa has no chance. And if SC is on (shooting above 35% from 3pt range), it will be very hard to beat them. BUT, if Clark continues her run and SC again goes cold from outside...it could be interesting.

I also think that Iowa's supporting cast of Martin, Marshall, Warnock, Stuelke and Affolter could help. Especially if the outside shooting of Marshall and Warnock is on point like it was Sunday against Louisville. It could force SC to spread out defensively like Maryland forced them to do last night.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

In regards to Maryland, this is the furthest they've advanced since 2015, but their 2020 and 2021 squads were sensational. Their 2020 team was projected to be a #1 seed before covid shut down the tournament, and in 2021 they looked like a legitimate title contender most of the year with Miller/Owusu both healthy and great on court chemistry, but Texas pulled off a colossal upset in the Sweet 16.

Reaction Score
I also think that Iowa's supporting cast of Martin, Marshall, Warnock, Stuelke and Affolter could help. Especially if the outside shooting of Marshall and Warnock is on point like it was Sunday against Louisville. It could force SC to spread out defensively like Maryland forced them to do last night.
I think the plan will be to stay home on everybody, which should make it tough for Clark’s supporting cast to help out. None of them scare me off the bounce.

They got a lot of good looks against Louisville when the Cardinals were caught ball watching or doubling off of shooters, but I don’t think that will happen Friday night. If nobody else hits double figures, tough to find a path to victory for Iowa.

undersized

Iowa/Indiana/Big Ten Fan
Reaction Score
I think the plan will be to stay home on everybody, which should make it tough for Clark’s supporting cast to help out. None of them scare me off the bounce.

They got a lot of good looks against Louisville when the Cardinals were caught ball watching or doubling off of shooters, but I don’t think that will happen Friday night. If nobody else hits double figures, tough to find a path to victory for Iowa.
This. If SC doesn't give up 3's, I don't honestly see how Iowa will be able to score enough 2's to keep pace with the 2's SC is going to get off of offensive putbacks alone. Czinano will struggle to get position inside, and no Iowa guard not named Clark is a serious threat to put the ball on the floor and drive against SC's defense. Just take away Iowa's shooters and that's the game right there. Even if Clark gets hers it still won't be enough.

Centerstream

Looking forward to next season
Reaction Score
Totally OT - when is the NPOY of the year announced? Could provide to be an extra incentive for a certain Semifinal game...

Reaction Score
Czinano isn't a 3-point threat so in theory we should always have a big under the basket.

Reaction Score
Czinano isn't a 3-point threat so in theory we should always have a big under the basket.

I get that but the spacing did cause issues early in the game last night. If Iowa is able to leverage that on occasion, it will be interesting to see how it plays out.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
I get that but the spacing did cause issues early in the game last night. If Iowa is able to leverage that on occasion, it will be interesting to see how it plays out.
Czinano has a solid face up jumper from 15-17 too. Hit a couple of those and Boston can’t camp out in the paint, creating opportunities for cuts and back doors. Very intrigued to see how Iowa attacks SC’s defense and how SC counters.

Reaction Score
Both Iowa , VT have only one quality "big" and if(when) they get in to foul trouble it's game over. In case anyone missed it, LSU literally knocked 3 Miami players out of the game. All sec final sadly and SC wins easily.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Both Iowa , VT have only one quality "big" and if(when) they get in to foul trouble it's game over. In case anyone missed it, LSU literally knocked 3 Miami players out of the game. All sec final sadly and SC wins easily.
Stuelke is a solid post off the bench for Iowa. Good size and finishing ability in the paint.

Reaction Score
UConn held Clark to a low percentage and was +16 on the boards without Dorka. Really big gane for Edwards. Team Shot 55%.

Did Griffin get the defensive assignment?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom