Favorite Lines From A Movie | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Favorite Lines From A Movie

Bigboote

That's big-boo-TAY
Reaction Score
Princess Bride, Westley: Rodents of unusual size? I don't think they exist.

From Pride and Prejudice (many versions, lifted directly from Jane Austen): "It is a truth universally acknowledged that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife."

Oh, geez, now that Replicant has brought up Caddyshack:

"Last time I saw a face like that, it had a hook in it."
"Hey, we're all gonna get laid!"

I don't remember the whole thing from the groundskeeper, but something like: This is my own blend of Kentucky bluegrass and northern California sinsemilla. You can play 36 holes, pick up a little of the green, and go home and get stoned to the bejeezus on this stuff.

Last edited:

Replicant

Nexus 6 Leader
Reaction Score
"At no point in your rambling, incoherent response were you even close to anything that could be considered a rational thought. Everyone in this room is now dumber for having listened to it. I award you no points, and may God have mercy on your soul"

Reaction Score
The Princess Bride is one running quote!

How about, "nothing beats Love, except for maybe an MLT sandwich, when the mutton is lean!"

Another favorite extremely quotable movie is My Cousin Vinny - how about,
The two youts/ "youths" interchange!

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
"You don't understand! I coulda had class. I coulda been a contender. I could've been somebody, instead of a bum, which is what I am."

(On the Waterfront)

Also from the same movie:

"Gimme a beer!"

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"He's about 455 yards away. He's going to hit about a 2 iron I think." This scene I have felt to be some of the best work Bill Murray ever did.

"...young caddy...comin' out of nowhere...."

Last edited:

BigBird

Et In Hoc Signo Vinces
Reaction Score
My favorite Wayne quote:

"Somebody oughta belt you in the mouth. But I won't, I won't. The hell I won't."

Can you name the movie?

McClintock, maybe?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Warden to Paul Newman:"What we have heeere is a fayulyur to communicate."
Good one but I believe that there is no "a" in that quote. I'd go with Colonel Jessup:
Son, we live in a world that has walls, and those walls have to be guarded by men with guns. Who's gonna do it? You? You, Lt. Weinberg? I have a greater responsibility than you could possibly fathom. You weep for Santiago and you curse the Marines. You have that luxury. You have the luxury of not knowing what I know; that Santiago's death, while tragic, probably saved lives. And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, *saves lives*. You don't want the truth because deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall. You need me on that wall. We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. You use them as a punchline. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it! I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon and stand a post. Either way, I don't give a *damn* what you think you are entitled to!

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
The kid who idolized him in that movie was an adolescent Ron Howard I believe.
Adolescent? Teenager maybe, young adult probably. Lauren Bacall, Jimmy Stewart, Richard Boone, Harry Morgan...I guess I have seen it far too many times to admit...

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
TRUE GRIT(John Wayne):
"Cats don't belong to nobody."
"This ain't no coon hunt, baby sister."
"I shot him in the lower lip; I was aiming for the upper lip."
"A swig of this wouldn't hurt you, against the night air."

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
"Buzzards gotta eat, same as worms" and "Dyin' ain't much of a livin', boy"

Both from same movie.

I've remember these lines, I'm just not sure where.

I'm guessing they're from "The outlaw Josey Wales", one of my favorites.

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Here's an idea for another thread.

What are your 5 favorite movies that are deemed "CLASSIC " movies.

Example: Casablanca, The Wizard of Oz, the first Star Wars movie, The Godfather, Rebel without a cause, Citizen Kane, Gone with the wind, etc.

Last edited by a moderator:

temery

What?
Reaction Score
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified?

Reaction Score
When Conan Doyle's The Adventure of the Solitary Cyclist was produced by Granada TV (and shown on PBS), I waited for the following:
"... Follow me Gentlemen! Too late! too Late! by the living Jingo!"
That living Jingo made a tremendous impression on me when I first read the story. I do not think it will impress anyone else.

Inspector: "Is there any other point to which you would wish to draw my attention?"
Sherlock Holmes: "To the curious incident of the dog at night-time."
Inspector: "The dog did nothing at night-time."
Sherock Holmes: "That was the curious incident."
Silver Blaze produced by Granada TV and shown on PBS.

Doctor: "Big breaths"
Patient (flashing a big smile): "Yeth and I'm only thixteen."

From Doctor at Large by Richard Gordon.
Part of the Doctor in the House series produced by London Weekend Television.
I bought the DVD set.

Last edited:

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Ah. Well... I attended Juilliard... I'm a graduate of the Harvard business school. I travel quite extensively. I lived through the Black Plague and had a pretty good time during that. I've seen the EXORCIST ABOUT A HUNDRED AND SIXTY-SEVEN TIMES, AND IT KEEPS GETTING FUNNIER EVERY SINGLE TIME I SEE IT... NOT TO MENTION THE FACT THAT YOU'RE TALKING TO A DEAD GUY... NOW WHAT DO YOU THINK? You think I'm qualified?
Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice.

Reaction Score
Downton Abbey:

Daisy (speaking of O'Brien) : I wouldn't get on the wrong side of that one for a gold clock.

Her maid is surprised when the Dowager countess goes on foot looking for her Russian Prince in a small street:
"I hope your standards are not so high as to prevent you from remaining in my employment ? "

More Violet Crawley quotes:

"What is a weekend?"

"An aristocrat without money is as useful as a glass hammer."

[on Sybil being entitled to her own opinions] "No! She isn’t until she is married. Then her husband will tell her what her opinions are."

"I do think a woman's place is eventually in the home, but I see no harm in her having some fun before she gets there."

"In my day, a lady was incapable of feeling physical attraction until she had been instructed to do so by her mama."

"First electricity, now telephones. Sometimes I feel as if I were living in an H.G. Wells novel."

Isobel: “Servants are human beings too.”
Violet: “Yes. But preferably only on their days off.”

Isobel: "How you hate to be wrong."
Violet: "I wouldn't know. I'm not familiar with the sensation."

"Principles are like prayers; noble, of course, but awkward at a party."

"Vulgarity is no substitute for wit"

"You are a woman with a brain and reasonable ability. Stop whining and find something to do."

"There's nothing simpler than avoiding people you don't like. Avoiding one's friends, that's the real test."

"Don't be defeatist, dear. It's very middle class."

"Oh, it is you! I thought it was a man in your clothes." - To Lady Mary after she got her hair cut into a 1920s bob.

There are a lot more on Wikiquote

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Back to School Now THAT'S what I call marine biology!
Animal House Oh Boy is this GREAT!
Airplane Do you ever hang around gymnasiums, Joey?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom