Fast Break Preview Show: Who should be the next retired number and UConn vs Seaton Hall breakdown | The Boneyard

Fast Break Preview Show: Who should be the next retired number and UConn vs Seaton Hall breakdown

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Another weekly episode of the Fast Break Preview show just dropped. This week's show Aman and Patrick discuss who should be the next former men's player to get their number retired (Emeka, Kemba or Shabazz), Dan Hurley's gripes with the Big East schedule and a full breakdown of the match-up vs Seton Hall.

Video:

Reaction Score
Emeka is the easy choice here. It’s who’s after him.
Maybe Kemba
Bazz with 2 rings but little nba or national team use.
Rudy no titles and no all star games
Nor donyell
What if we have a bunch of 2xs on this team? Guess the next level will tell us.

Mike Honcho

I've lost count of titles
Reaction Score
Maybe Kemba
Nor donyell
Not saying it should happen but Thabeet was an absolute force in college, yet he is consistently overlooked, mostly due to his professional career.

His junior year he averaged 13.6pts, 10.8 rebounds, and 4.2 blocks on a team that reached the Final 4 (and could have gone further if not for an injury to Jerome Dyson). He was the BE POY, and a 2x Big East DPOY, as well as a consensus AA.

For whatever reason, I feel like him and Bazz are the most under-appreciated former legends.

Reaction Score
Maybe Kemba
Nor donyell

Frankly I really don’t pay much attention to numbers
The only one I remember is Cliff 00
But this is the wall of honor
3 Caron Butler / Walt Dropo. + Joey C wore it last year
13 Shabaz Napier / Worthy Patterson/ Chris Smith
15. Kemba Walker
22 Rudy Gay/Vin Yokabaskas
24 Scott Burrill. Jorden Hawkins wore it last year
25 Art Quimby
32 Richard Hamilton - Donavan Clingan eill be the last to wear it .
34 Ray Allen
42 Khalid El Amin/Tony Hanson / Toby Kimball /Donyell Marshall
44 Wes Bialosuknia. Andre Jackson last year
50 Emeka Okafor
52 Corny Thompson

Hunt for 7

Built Hurley Strong
Reaction Score
I think there are two players who were on scholarship that won two titles. Bazz and Olander. Bazz carried us to one and played a significant role in the other. This is not about what they did in the nba it is about what they meant to our program. I would be fine with retiring Mek first since it has been longer. He was a role model graduated in a real three years and was dominant for two years. Bazz and Kemba I think should be retired after that. First Kemba then Bazz. But I really am surprised how little love Bazz seems to get on the BY. I mean every game in that tournament it became clearer and clearer he was not going to let us lose. He made everyone on that team better for those six games. I am taking nothing away from any other player but Ollie predicted it was going to happen and I will not believe anyone who took that prediction serious and we went out and did exactly what his coach said they would. At the time that was pretty cool stuff. My wife was toward the end of a difficult pregnancy youngest was born about a month after we won the chip. But I remember those three weeks very well. Those games and what he did helped me get through one of the hardest periods in my life so maybe I am biased.

JakeTheDog

Makin’ bacon pancakes
Reaction Score
I think there are two players who were on scholarship that won two titles. Bazz and Olander.

1709341936390.gif

Reaction Score
Not saying it should happen but Thabeet was an absolute force in college, yet he is consistently overlooked, mostly due to his professional career.

His junior year he averaged 13.6pts, 10.8 rebounds, and 4.2 blocks on a team that reached the Final 4 (and could have gone further if not for an injury to Jerome Dyson). He was the BE POY, and a 2x Big East DPOY, as well as a consensus AA.

For whatever reason, I feel like him and Bazz are the most under-appreciated former legends.
Agreed. And Rudy and Caron never won a title. Wait. Caron won one in Dallas right? Well maybe he should be on the short list too.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
It's Mek and Kemba.

After those two, Bazz is up for consideration.

No one after those two. Yet. Talk to me in 7 more weeks.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
& Ben Gordon isn't on any of these lists, Bazz & Kemba put their teams on their backs but No disrespect to Emeka, but he did have Ben, they didn't go #2 & 3 in the draft for no reason I don't think you can separate those two, their success is directly tied to the other

Reaction Score
Personally I think it’s Sue Bird, because culturally she had a much larger impact on the world than Ben and Emeka. If we’re talking strictly men’s players though, Emeka would get my vote

Reaction Score
This might ruffle some feathers here but in general I think retiring numbers has become a bit cheesy of late. The Yankees for instance retiring Paul O’Neill, Bernie and Andy Pettitte, they were very good Yankees who should get a plaque but retiring the number come on. Jeter and Mariano that’s one thing their HOF.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
& Ben Gordon isn't on any of these lists, Bazz & Kemba put their teams on their backs but No disrespect to Emeka, but he did have Ben, they didn't go #2 & 3 in the draft for no reason I don't think you can separate those two, their success is directly tied to the other

Mek was national defensive player of the year, BEPOY, first team All-American.....

Ben was certainly the most dynamic Robin to any UConn Batman but Mek had a quantifiably more accomplished career at UConn.

Reaction Score
Adama Sanogo might be a player worthy of having his number retired..that kid was unstoppable on offense and he played great defense..

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Emeka, but not for another few years. It needs to be viewed as a rare and exceptionally special event.

A few years later Kemba, then a few years beyond that, Shabazz.

Reaction Score
Mek was national defensive player of the year, BEPOY, first team All-American.....

Ben was certainly the most dynamic Robin to any UConn Batman but Mek had a quantifiably more accomplished career at UConn.
Well put. Emeka's was a great story from start to finish. Such a great fun surprise (Calhoun; "Emeka O M G!") and a juggernaut their final season. I ordered 2004 final four tix immediately after the 2003 tournament and never had a doubt I'd be watching UConn. At the UConn vs Dook semi-final game I was confident that Emeka would carry us down the stretch and he did. Emeka's UConn career was near perfect.

Reaction Score
I’ll say it just my opinion but this obsession over retiring numbers is for dorks.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Personally I think it’s Sue Bird, because culturally she had a much larger impact on the world than Ben and Emeka. If we’re talking strictly men’s players though, Emeka would get my vote
Not to derail this from purely men's hoops discussion but I would imagine Taurasi gets her number retired before Bird.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Not to derail this from purely men's hoops discussion but I would imagine Taurasi gets her number retired before Bird.
I would think not, only because she isn't retired yet and Bird is. Both are worthy, as is Maya Moore, eventually.

I actually like the old standard that someone would be considered to have their number retired only if they were in the Hall of Fame. That said, Rip is a worthy candidate, but it opens the door.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom