Fall Camp 2018 Coverage - #RiseAsOne | Page 24 | The Boneyard

Fall Camp 2018 Coverage - #RiseAsOne

Reaction Score
God damn it. Now you're making me optimistic. Because it brings a comparison to mind.

Coming off that awful 4-8 year in '06, rationally we expected to be better but no one thought we could compete for the conference championship. And then there was that preseason story about Edsall having punished the defense by making them do up-downs while the offense watched, our new QB Lorentzon without saying a word joining them in doing it and the entire offense following the QB and joining in. And what do you know -- that year we played with heart and created a lot of luck and achieved success that no one saw coming in the pre-season.

So the lawyer in me sticks to the fact that we are too young, and without enough upperclass talent, and without having seen enough positives from players who we are counting on, but you have the fan part of me now wondering. Damn you Nostical!

Still not falling for it . . .

Reaction Score
Lol are your really going to let yourself get excited over another nostical post?

It's gotten better. The hope that some emotional difference will make us better was triggered, but it can't overwhelm for long the fact that we don't have returning talent to compete, and thinking that lightly recruited true freshmen up and down the lineup, as true freshmen, are going to totally turn us around is not rational.

Reaction Score
It's gotten better. The hope that some emotional difference will make us better was triggered, but it can't overwhelm for long the fact that we don't have returning talent to compete, and thinking that lightly recruited true freshmen up and down the lineup, as true freshmen, are going to totally turn us around is not rational.

Rational! You've got to be kidding. You don't expect rational discourse on these boards do you?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I've said this before but I'd expect better speed, better eye discipline, better fundamentals and more buy-in to have the defense looking much better. Inexperience and a simplified defense will cost us from time to time, but I think the overall improvement will be easy to see.

I'm not convinced that means more wins yet, but the losses will be more palatable.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I've said this before but I'd expect better speed, better eye discipline, better fundamentals and more buy-in to have the defense looking much better. Inexperience and a simplified defense will cost us from time to time, but I think the overall improvement will be easy to see.

I'm not convinced that means more wins yet, but the losses will be more palatable.

I still think lack of team speed will be this team's achilles heel.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I still think lack of team speed will be this team's achilles heel.
You are probably right, but I think we won't see the big cushion which let people pick us apart last year.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
You are probably right, but I think we won't see the big cushion which let people pick us apart last year.

Like most of us fans, I desparately want a team on the field that looks competitive in all phases. Looks like they belong on the field with their opponents.

I fear this team is still one year away from using what speed they do have efficiently. I'd be happy if it happens by second half this year.

I expect the first few games to look like track meets as UCF and Boise have a different gear than UConn's players.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I think strength is more likely the problem, at least on D. If you play all these young guys, they may be fast but they are just not as strong as they will be 3 years in.

Agree. For clarification I have zero expectation for mano y mano strength. I'm not jumping on the team speed band wagon. I think this team will be demonstrably slower than almost every opponent.

uconnphil2016

Head Rat
Reaction Score
I think strength is more likely the problem, at least on D. If you play all these young guys, they may be fast but they are just not as strong as they will be 3 years in.

Agreed. There aren’t many positions I can look at where I’m terribly worried about speed. Our LBs are fast but smaller, DBs seem fast enough, Scott is fast at RB, Dixon had a great 40 at WR

Reaction Score
God damn it. Now you're making me optimistic. Because it brings a comparison to mind.

Coming off that awful 4-8 year in '06, rationally we expected to be better but no one thought we could compete for the conference championship. And then there was that preseason story about Edsall having punished the defense by making them do up-downs while the offense watched, our new QB Lorentzon without saying a word joining them in doing it and the entire offense following the QB and joining in. And what do you know -- that year we played with heart and created a lot of luck and achieved success that no one saw coming in the pre-season.
!

I never heard that story. Awesome

Reaction Score
Really need the OL to step up so we can pound teams on ground and shorten game. Trying to win a shootout didn’t work last year and won’t any time soon

Reaction Score
Really need the OL to step up so we can pound teams on ground and shorten game. Trying to win a shootout didn’t work last year and won’t any time soon
I don't think that is going to work in this league. Too many high octane offenses. Even Navy puts up a shot ton of points.

I think even Edsall gets this.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom