Fairness Questioned...WaPo | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Fairness Questioned...WaPo

Status
Not open for further replies.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I thought I read that UCONN opens up the Tourney at their home court, Gampel. Apologies if I got it wrong.
They do, just like the other top 4 seeds in each region. The WaPo was talking about the Regionals, which they consider it more like another UConn home court.

Reaction Score
I apologize for re-posting...deserves its own thread

Is UConn's placement in Bridgeport fair?

The rest of the country thinks not...

The U-Conn. women playing near home makes the Bridgeport Region a nightmare for everyone else​

Washington Post Headline.

Also some good analysis...

Connecticut’s home-court advantage was significant this season. The Huskies scored almost seven points per game more at home than an average team after adjusting for strength of schedule, which is enough to raise a team’s win probability by 14 percent.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/03/13/uconn-womens-basketball-nc-state/
This definitely FAIR for Tony C and ME. For anyone not a Uconn Fan??? Who knows. Fairness isn't a quantity, a measurable thing, it is psychologically different depending on your childhood, parents, region of the world or this nation. One significant fact that is again philosophically apparent: Life isn't fair. On some days it is fair to me on some issues to me it is far from fair. But if you live long enough life meets all you needs---or dosent.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
There’s got to be some fancy statistic to make a case for feeling sorry for Carolina teams regard in no where they play their post season basketball.
Let’s talk about the location of the ACC tournament. Favor Carolina teams a tad? Hmmm.
Being a UMD grad, think that ever occurred to us.
Oh yeah, that’s right, MD has a heritage and tradition of top notch basketball too.

I remember the time after all of the fussing.. it returned to DC and Maryland lost in the opening round. It used to have a tradition of top notch basketball.... not much in the last 20 years though.

Reaction Score
Saying the Washington Post is fair and balanced is like saying Jim Boeheim never picks his nose. If you think fairness is in question ask Rebecca if she thought ESPN’s selection show was fair towards UConn. The comments made on that show about Geno and his team were very disrespectful towards the greatest basketball coach ever.
Could you explain what was said. I was on the road and missed the show.

Reaction Score
You mean the state or the university? UMD was never even close to a match for UNC or Duke. It’s a huge commuter college, ten miles from the DC line. Not glitzy or pretty like your schools. It was actually darn amazing that UMD was as good as they were.
Are you too young to remember Lefty. He might have won a couple titles if Moses Malone had stayed. Got one with Gary.
The balling in the state is still good. Many don’t go to public schools anymore. Even DeMatha. They go to prep schools- Kevin Durant.
BTW I heartily recommend Swagger on Apple TV. Great depiction of AAU ball in the DMV.
I remember the time after all of the fussing.. it returned to DC and Maryland lost in the opening round. It used to have a tradition of top notch basketball.... not much in the last 20 years though.

Reaction Score
You mean the state or the university? UMD was never even close to a match for UNC or Duke. It’s a huge commuter college, ten miles from the DC line. Not glitzy or pretty like your schools. It was actually darn amazing that UMD was as good as they were.
Are you too young to remember Lefty. He might have won a couple titles if Moses Malone had stayed. Got one with Gary.
The balling in the state is still good. Many don’t go to public schools anymore. Even DeMatha. They go to prep schools- Kevin Durant.
BTW I heartily recommend Swagger on Apple TV. Great depiction of AAU ball in the DMV.
Maryland’s basketball program had been on a huge upswing but basically was dismantled after Len Bias died after snorting cocaine at a dormitory party. Lefty got into hot water after directing other players on the team to remove all the drugs from Bias’s room before it was searched, the AD also resigned IIRC. Williams came along later but the resurgence didn’t last after the lone NCAA Championship.

Oracle9

No time for fake ones
Reaction Score
Gee I bet no matter where a regional or final four is scheduled to be it will be in some teams backyard. South Carolina was the number 1 overall seed so got the one closest to them. That left the other #1 seeds to get the other ones closest to their location. NC State got the second closest one to them which was Bridgeport. The rest are supposedly assigned by the S method (with a few exceptions due to same conference restrictions). Do I think that $$$$ is involved - of course. UConn draws. They earned their sport. People just complain more when UConn is involved.
Agreed. I also think Uconn was going to Greensboro as the 2 and was switched when Iowa popped as a 2 to create the possible matchup of NPOY candidates. Just like last year. That I think created the fortunate scenario for Uconn. IMO they chose a scenario that would draw more hype and more eyes, plus sell more tickets.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Well, Wes Moore has a more colorful way of putting it

“I thought we were going to the NCAA,” he said Monday in an interview with the Sports Freaks radio show in Asheville. “It turns out we’re going to the Geno Invitational.” :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
Well, Wes Moore has a more colorful way of putting it

“I thought we were going to the NCAA,” he said Monday in an interview with the Sports Freaks radio show in Asheville. “It turns out we’re going to the Geno Invitational.” :rolleyes:

Wow, I'm very surprised at that quote from Wes Moore. I understand some level of frustration, but that just seems petty. Not sure why he would take aim at Geno, its not like he was out advocating for UConn to be in Bridgeport.

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
Wow, I'm very surprised at that quote from Wes Moore. I understand some level of frustration, but that just seems petty. Not sure why he would take aim at Geno, its not like he was out advocating for UConn to be in Bridgeport.

I mean, give me a break...surprised?
UConn become the only team to play (potentially) four games
in front of rabid, home, fans...
I know, I know...in the past they win on the road just as readily

But that's not a relevant argument.

There is a real likelihood that the team completely coalesces and just roars through
the regional...lots of talent, lots of depth, great guards, subbing in waves...you know the drill.

The location just adds one more potentially huge advantage to the mix (in addition to all the talent)
No other team has it.

You darned right people are going to moan and bitch.

There's a serious question if Wes' kids could win at a neutral site.
In Bridgeport, the odds become way less, the climb that much steeper.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I think it is fairly reasonable and he did not rant on about it for example. Probably said with a bit of a wry smile. Less is More.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I mean, give me a break...surprised?
UConn become the only team to play (potentially) four games
in front of rabid, home, fans...
I know, I know...in the past they win on the road just as readily

But that's not a relevant argument.

There is a real likelihood that the team completely coalesces and just roars through
the regional...lots of talent, lots of depth, great guards, subbing in waves...you know the drill.

The location just adds one more potentially huge advantage to the mix (in addition to all the talent)
No other team has it.

You darned right people are going to moan and bitch.

There's a serious question if Wes' kids could win at a neutral site.
In Bridgeport, the odds become way less, the climb that much steeper.
In 1999 people were calling the men’s NCAA tournament “The Duke Invitational.” Jim Calhoun didn’t spend any time pissing and moaning about it. Instead, he and the Huskies just won the whole thing. Some people find excuses to justify losing, others find ways to win. Personally, I’ve always been a fan of the latter.

Reaction Score
I'd say about 20-25 to 1. Makes for some interesting interactions.... at work, at family gatherings... outside of 24 hr diners at 3am :eek:
Think the ratio is that high, Triaddukefan? Wow. I haven't spent much time there in many years but I'd think the Dookies might have their own a fair share of 'bandwagon' basketball fans given their success level over the years, sorta like the Yanks or Pats. Imagine how us Deacon fan feel?:(

Reaction Score
I suspect that the reason for greater UNC than Duke support in the Carolinas is that Duke is private and academically elite. They probably have greater support in the NE than in North Carolina.
Correct, think UConn vs. Yale in our state.

Reaction Score
And North Carolina doesn’t impose unreasonable restrictions on their athletes, like making them attend class. It’s very egalitarian of them.
I'm with you if you are comparing the UNC programs in the recent past to UConn's women. However, you might recall that Calhoun's basketball program had a much less than stellar academic record and, if I remember correctly, had one of the lowest graduation rates amongst its roster inthe entire NCAA.

Reaction Score
Wow, some good ACC history there.. I'd forgotten Malone signed a letter to play for Lefty. Driesell definitely had a run with players like Lucas, McMillen, Albert King and the ill-fated Bias.

Reaction Score
I apologize for re-posting...deserves its own thread

Is UConn's placement in Bridgeport fair?

The rest of the country thinks not...

The U-Conn. women playing near home makes the Bridgeport Region a nightmare for everyone else​

Washington Post Headline.

Also some good analysis...

Connecticut’s home-court advantage was significant this season. The Huskies scored almost seven points per game more at home than an average team after adjusting for strength of schedule, which is enough to raise a team’s win probability by 14 percent.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/03/13/uconn-womens-basketball-nc-state/
Duh, WaPo, I see your coverage in this area is as bad as all the others.

Having UConn in Bridgeport isn't about fairness, its about MONEY. The idea that UConn could lose before the final eight if they were in some other region is HILARIOUS

Reaction Score
Bridgport is an advantage - true enough. We're celebrating it. The rest of NCAAW know it. Is what it is. Happy to have it. As Geno has said you play the games in front of you. It's like we won a coin toss. We've had our share of bad breaks this season. Let's not rag on WaPo - that's posters getting out of our Boneyard lane.
Ah, so now the Washington Post is magically above reproach. LOL

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc