Fairness Questioned...WaPo | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Fairness Questioned...WaPo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I apologize for re-posting...deserves its own thread

Is UConn's placement in Bridgeport fair?

The rest of the country thinks not...

The U-Conn. women playing near home makes the Bridgeport Region a nightmare for everyone else​

Washington Post Headline.

Also some good analysis...

Connecticut’s home-court advantage was significant this season. The Huskies scored almost seven points per game more at home than an average team after adjusting for strength of schedule, which is enough to raise a team’s win probability by 14 percent.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2022/03/13/uconn-womens-basketball-nc-state/
Saying the Washington Post is fair and balanced is like saying Jim Boeheim never picks his nose. If you think fairness is in question ask Rebecca if she thought ESPN’s selection show was fair towards UConn. The comments made on that show about Geno and his team were very disrespectful towards the greatest basketball coach ever.

Last edited:

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Oooh, Tampa :). Maybe Phoenix, too, since I’ve got a brother out there
We're about 30 mins away and maybe in 2025 we'll finally get tickets and see a FF in person.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Who cares? Who cares about mileage? Who cares about this writer - who covers hockey - at the WaPo? Who cares people have their knickers in a twist over UConn potentially playing in Bridgeport?

NC State isn’t whining. (And good for them having confidence. They should; they’re a good team)
The Wolfpack fans aren’t whining.

The people that matter haven’t complained so who cares what the nattering nabobs of negativity say?

Whoa...Spiro Agnew lives on the Boneyard! Gotta love this board. If that's the case, let's all be "happy warriors." (tip of the hat to HHH). :)

Reaction Score
We're about 30 mins away and maybe in 2025 we'll finally get tickets and see a FF in person.
Has the womens Final Four ever been in New England, New York State, or New Jersey? You would think New England would at some point, Hartford, Boston or Providence.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Has the womens Final Four ever been in New England, New York State, or New Jersey? You would think New England would at some point, Hartford, Boston or Providence.
"Northeast" locations:
1647349708768.png

I would think that cities that bid to host the FF need to have the infrastructure to handle fans for 4 teams, along with an arena large enough per the NCAA specs.

Reaction Score
We all know the women's tournament isn't the revenue generator the men's tournament is. When the NCAA tried to get away from the home hosting sites the arenas were decidedly empty and void of a tournament atmosphere (at least from the vantage points on TV). I didn't think having just two regional sites instead of four was that bad of an idea to be honest.

There are plenty of places around the country who "could" host the tournament but they have to bid, get selected by the NCAA, and have in place places to host the teams and fans. Lots of good places qualify but will they bid and then be chosen?

Reaction Score
Yes, but UConn’s passionate fan base extends well beyond CT’s border. I would venture to guess that UConn WBB enjoys a plurality of fan support, if not an outright majority, throughout New England, NY, NJ, PA & DE. Not sure if there is a single school in the football frenzied state of TX that can boast a fan base even close to UConn WBB.
I have attended UConn women's road games in NJ, NY, PA, FL and SC, and at every one of those venues, the huge turnout of UConn supporters (be they alumni or just fans) makes it almost seem like a home game. I can't imagine any other team getting such support on the road.

Reaction Score
"Northeast" locations:
View attachment 74445
I would think that cities that bid to host the FF need to have the infrastructure to handle fans for 4 teams, along with an arena large enough per the NCAA specs.
I wouldn’t include Philly, not really a northeast location, southeast PA is more a mid Atlantic IMO, I mean Philly is right next to Wilmington, Delaware on the map. If places like Indianapolis, Knoxville, and Richmond, Va, among others can host it, Hartford/Springfield and Bridgeport ought be able to as well. Not even considering the UConn “backyard” factor, if Hartford or Bridgeport ever won a FF bid, the pushback from the Hinterland would be enormous. Didn’t know about Boston though, thanks.

Reaction Score
Here are the things that leap off the page to me from the article:
View attachment 74395 View attachment 74396
If Connecticut is one of the four best teams in the nation, with the second best likelihood of winning the entire tournament, why aren’t they a one seed? If they were the one seed in Bridgeport, no one has an issue.

For what it’s worth, on the Men’s side Duke and North Carolina have been playing in Greensboro for years. Where was all the outrage then?
I doubt UCONN would even be a 2 seed in Bridgeport if Paige were out for the season, nor would the WaPo have written this garbage.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I suspect that the reason for greater UNC than Duke support in the Carolinas is that Duke is private and academically elite. They probably have greater support in the NE than in North Carolina.
And North Carolina doesn’t impose unreasonable restrictions on their athletes, like making them attend class. It’s very egalitarian of them.

CL82

Reaction Score
I doubt UCONN would even be a 2 seed in Bridgeport if Paige were out for the season, nor would the WaPo have written this garbage.
LOL, to be perfectly honest, I don’t think Paige impacted it very much at all.

Reaction Score
Gee I bet no matter where a regional or final four is scheduled to be it will be in some teams backyard. South Carolina was the number 1 overall seed so got the one closest to them. That left the other #1 seeds to get the other ones closest to their location. NC State got the second closest one to them which was Bridgeport. The rest are supposedly assigned by the S method (with a few exceptions due to same conference restrictions). Do I think that $$$$ is involved - of course. UConn draws. They earned their sport. People just complain more when UConn is involved.

Reaction Score
LOL, to be perfectly honest, I don’t think Paige impacted it very much at all.
Now that she’s back, I think she definitely impacted their decision. If she were out for the season UConn would of been the last 2 or first 3.

CL82

Reaction Score
Now that she’s back, I think she definitely impacted their decision. If she were out for the season UConn would of been the last 2 or first 3.
Maybe, especially when you’re saying it might have moved UConn a couple of places here or there one way or the other. Connecticut has shown itself to be a final four were the team without Paige. It moved up in rankings in metrics while Paige was out. None of that minimizes what she can bring, but this is a very solid team even without her.

JRRRJ

Chief Didacticist
Reaction Score
Not very well informed, though. The "throng of Huskies faithful" appears at all of the UConn tourney games, whether zero or 3000 miles from campus.

Been there, done that.

Reaction Score
Maybe, especially when you’re saying it might have moved UConn a couple of places here or there one way or the other. Connecticut has shown itself to be a final four were the team without Paige. It moved up in rankings in metrics while Paige was out. None of that minimizes what she can bring, but this is a very solid team even without her.
No argument there, they definitely are, but my thinking is 2 extra three’s and maybe a couple extra stop & pop 12 footers from Paige Bueckers might be the difference in a game with NC State, Indiana, and Kentucky.

CL82

Reaction Score
No argument there, they definitely are, but my thinking is 2 extra three’s and maybe a couple extra stop & pop 12 footers from Paige Bueckers might be the difference in a game with NC State, Indiana, and Kentucky.
No doubt, but probably not much difference in rankings seeding.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
We all know the women's tournament isn't the revenue generator the men's tournament is. When the NCAA tried to get away from the home hosting sites the arenas were decidedly empty and void of a tournament atmosphere (at least from the vantage points on TV). I didn't think having just two regional sites instead of four was that bad of an idea to be honest.

There are plenty of places around the country who "could" host the tournament but they have to bid, get selected by the NCAA, and have in place places to host the teams and fans. Lots of good places qualify but will they bid and then be chosen?
Las Vegas would be perfect for a final four. This place is already full of basketball fans who come from all over the nation to live in the sports books during March Madness. The hotels are always happy during that time. There are enough hotel rooms, restaurants, and other activities that can be done during the down times of no game.

I believe that next year is the first time that Vegas can put in a bid to host a NCAA Final Four, be it men's or women's. The bids would be for the 2027 - 2031 FF and I hope that they get one and I'm still around to see it.

Reaction Score
Bridgport is an advantage - true enough. We're celebrating it. The rest of NCAAW know it. Is what it is. Happy to have it. As Geno has said you play the games in front of you. It's like we won a coin toss. We've had our share of bad breaks this season. Let's not rag on WaPo - that's posters getting out of our Boneyard lane.
I remember when MSST was the number1 seed in the Portland region and Oregon was number 2. Certainly that was an advantage for Oregon but Vic Shaffer‘s comment was he preferred playing before the huge crowd in Portland than any other region because it was good for WBB. It is a disadvantage for NCST to play UConn in Bridgeport but IMO it is good for WBB because I expect the crowd to be just as big and involved as the Portland game.

Reaction Score
How many quality wins or bad losses would SC have if they lost Boston for half the season? Iowa wouldn’t even have made the tournament if they had lost Clark for half the season.
But they didn't. Don't get your point.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32