Fagnano Out For Year- Roberson New Starter | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Fagnano Out For Year- Roberson New Starter

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Tomorrows game a bit of a litmus test for Charlton. Can we have nice things or not?

Whole heartedly agree. Time to see how much wiggle room there is in his playbook and in-game thinking to match his calls to the players on the field.

Reaction Score
Will be interesting to see if he’s learned when to mix in the trick play versus running it just because it’s part of the game plan. That’s my only beef with him 1+ year in his role. Feels like he force feeds wrinkles outside the flow of the game

Reaction Score
I think they will come out kicking on all cylinders tomorrow. Mora and Charlton have sat down with Roberson and the rest of the offense this week, and gone over the X’s, O’s and the arrows. They have a weapon in Roberson, and his receivers, not to mention Houston, Burns, and Brewton. Every guy has to know his role.

Who sat down with the Defense? Maybe Pagano…

Reaction Score
Seeing how the unscripted play calling goes will be key. Charlton has been able to put together some good opening scripts in various games throughout his time here, but has failed to keep it going after that.

Reaction Score
Anyone else more giddy about today's game than last week's game, simply due to the fact that Roberson is starting?

His ceiling is no enticing.

Reaction Score
Hope Joe gets better soon, but I am very excited to see what Roberson can do.
Just five games in his UConn career, the last two games really started to show me what Roberson can do for this offense.
  • 71 total points
  • 470 combined passing yards
    • Which, in turn, has helped Rosa rush for 181 yards in that time.
    • Also, the Roberson > Joly connection is flourishing.
      • 10 receptions, 140 yards, 1 TD over last two gms.
  • 4 TDs to 1 INT
  • Improving movement in the pocket, positive net gain in rushing.

Reaction Score
Just five games in his UConn career, the last two games really started to show me what Roberson can do for this offense.
  • 71 total points
  • 470 combined passing yards
    • Which, in turn, has helped Rosa rush for 181 yards in that time.
    • Also, the Roberson > Joly connection is flourishing.
      • 10 receptions, 140 yards, 1 TD over last two gms.
  • 4 TDs to 1 INT
  • Improving movement in the pocket, positive net gain in rushing.
You can tell Roberson is getting more confident with each outing. He is getting better at reading the coverage, and he has a good arm. The few throws he made into tight coverage tells me he is finally believing in his own capabilities

Now I just wish Charleston has more faith in the kid since he is still obsessed with running up the middle on most 1st downs.

I hope they open up the playbook and let Roberson do much more like:

• let him audible based on the defense he is seeing
  • definitely keep letting him roll out more to the right and pass
  • call more play actions
  • Let him run more with RPO

Reaction Score
Joly, Ross, Clercius and Buckman. We have receiving weapons. We are finally using them and guess what? They create separation and space. It’s been a coaching and scheme issue all along. Too bad we had to lose 5 games for Charlton to get his crap together.

Reaction Score
Roberson is starting to show why he was a 4* recruit coming out of HS. If he continues this rapid improvement, PSU really dropped the ball letting him go which is great for us.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Now I just wish Charleston has more faith in the kid since he is still obsessed with running up the middle on most 1st downs.
While I admire your commitment to the bit, don't you think it's run it's course? I mean the Rice guys were complimenting the play calling all game. Yesterday, we passed on first down. Most noticeably, right after the fumbled punt where the play opened up a downfield receiver and the pass was skyyed.

Reaction Score
While I admire your commitment to the bit, don't you think it's run it's course? I mean the Rice guys were complimenting the play calling all game. Yesterday, we passed on first down. Most noticeably, right after the fumbled punt where the play opened up a downfield receiver and the pass was skyyed.

Absolutely not.

Rice has a terrible defense. We are still calling routes short of the sticks on 3rd down.

I want a real offense. I want 40 points every game.

#CharltonOut

Reaction Score
Roberson is starting to show why he was a 4* recruit coming out of HS. If he continues this rapid improvement, PSU really dropped the ball letting him go which is great for us.
Every top program like Penn State is recruiting at least one top QB per season. For Roberson, the QBs recruited in the 2 classes in front of him were Sean Clifford (4 year starter) and Will Levis (transferred and 2 year starter at Kentucky), and both are now in the NFL. The starter this year is Drew Allar, who was a 5* and 4th rated QB in his class. But, they all can't play which is why the best place to recruit top QBs for a school like UConn is through the portal.

Reaction Score
There were multiple situations where our play calling was horrible.

One thing I remember is right after we got the INT, Charleston called 3 runs in the row. On 3rd and 3, we should have least made the effort to pass or RPO to get the 1st down to put the game away. Instead, we ran and got 4th and short. At this point, it would have been nice to put Stafford out there to get the 1st down vs. punting. This kind of play not to lose type of mentality is the reason why we keep kicking ourselves in the nut. It seems to me Charleston is calling plays with no faith in his QB. Roberson has shown he can do a lot more if he is given the opportunity to freelance more.

Our OC still needs to learn much more. His play calling improved 2nd half but it could be much better.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Every top program like Penn State is recruiting at least one top QB per season. For Roberson, the QBs recruited in the 2 classes in front of him were Sean Clifford (4 year starter) and Will Levis (transferred and 2 year starter at Kentucky), and both are now in the NFL. The starter this year is Drew Allar, who was a 5* and 4th rated QB in his class. But, they all can't play which is why the best place to recruit top QBs for a school like UConn is through the portal.
Not just UConn. Burrow transferred, Hurts transferred, Nix at Oregon, it’s important even at the big schools.

Reaction Score

One thing I remember is right after we got the INT, Charleston called 3 runs in the row. On 3rd and 3, we should have least made the effort to pass or RPO to get the 1st down to put the game away. Instead, we ran and got 4th and short. At this point, it would have been nice to put Stafford out there to get the 1st down vs. punting. This kind of play not to lose type of mentality is the reason why we keep kicking ourselves in the nut. It seems to me Charleston is calling plays with no faith in his QB. Roberson has shown he can do a lot more if he is given the opportunity to freelance more.

Our OC still needs to learn much more. His play calling improved 2nd half but it could be much better.
Its not all play calling. We've led FBS in drops i believe or are near the top. I wholeheartedly agree with you on the series post the INT. That was the same ole same ole conservative CT approach We've seen forever.

Key point here. We got huge plays in the passing game yesterday from Ross and Joly. Tow guys recruited to come here out of HS. Clercius also showed up big. Too much of this season was wasted trying to establish Porter, Buckman and even Burns as playmakers in the passing game. Why? Were the guaranteed playing time/starting roles to come here?

Reaction Score

UConn fans are so quick to embrace mediocrity.

One good game and they let Charlton off the hook.

Reaction Score

Every program is recruiting a QB every season.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
Roberson has done his part the last two games but let's not pretend he' a top QB. I'll settle for a top QB for us, which means protect the ball and make a few plays when called upon. He's done that and that's terrific but our defense (their offense) handed us 3 TDs.

Anyone who says Charlton/Mora should have ridden Robeson, Rosa, Joly, Ross, and Clercius from day 1 are probably correct.

Reaction Score
Roberson has done his part the last two games but let's not pretend he' a top QB. I'll settle for a top QB for us, which means protect the ball and make a few plays when called upon. He's done that and that's terrific but our defense (their offense) handed us 3 TDs.

Anyone who says Charlton/Mora should have ridden Robeson, Rosa, Joly, Ross, and Clercius from day 1 are probably correct.

He’s progressing. Which is all we can ask for. Wish we had a state of the art OC so that we could play without an arm tied behind our backs.

If you want a program that recruits good offensive players then have a state of the art offense.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score

What hook? That you and the others are so invested in Charton as problem you can't even give credit where credit is due; doesn't mean an embrace of mediocrity. I get the feeling you and West Coast are rooting against the offence for "I told you so" purposes.

BlueandOG

We are not amused.
Reaction Score

I agree. Charlton has shown he does not pack the gear to lead our troops. His judgment is off from QB1 at the start of the year to play calling.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
He’s progressing. Which is all we can ask for. Wish we had a state of the art OC so that we could play without an arm tied behind our backs.

If you want a program that recruits good offensive players then have a state of the art offense.

I see the same flaws as before, every throw will be an adventure. We can only hope the mistakes don't turn wins in to losses. Charlton is taking extra heat (in addition to his own) for being careful with him, but I'll happily take these last two games as the typical performance for the rest of the season.

Reaction Score
What hook? That you and the others are so invested in Charton as problem you can't even give credit where credit is due; doesn't mean an embrace of mediocrity. I get the feeling you and West Coast are rooting against the offence for "I told you so" purposes.

What credit? We scored 38 because of the defense. Back to reality.

Reaction Score
I see the same flaws as before, every throw will be an adventure. We can only hope the mistakes don't turn wins in to losses. Charlton is taking extra heat (in addition to his own) for being careful with him, but I'll happily take these last two games as the typical performance for the rest of the season.

His throws were on target. Only 4 incompletions. He anchored that offense yesterday.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom