Ezi Magbegor In The News | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Ezi Magbegor In The News

Reaction Score
Kia has clearly proven that you can successfully manage your international play while getting the best possible basketball coaching and a college education while a UConn player..........not sure that can be bettered in Australia and I know UCLA can't match the basketball coaching part of the deal...........for someone of her age, I don't think which year Ezi can reach the WNBA should be as much of a concern as it would for an older player like Azura who has that choice to make for next year.........

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Is UConn still recruiting her after signing Nelson-Ododa?
Yes.
Calm.png

Reaction Score

absolutely..................you don't think Geno would let Kim Mulkey have all that dual post player fun do you? Frankly ONO and Ezi are far more mobile then either Brown or Cox so Geno could have lot's of fun moving them around the court.................certainly would be interesting to watch

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score
Trying to read the tea leaves here. Somewhere along the way Ezi figured out that if she's willing to work hard, there is no better coach and program to fully develop her basketball talent than Geno and UConn. UCLA is closer to home and there's already an Aussie in the program. Maybe the weather is better in SoCal, but when you add in the smog and traffic congestion, I'll take Storrs any day of the week.

On Saturday, Ezi was at Senior Day for UCLA. Billings, Canada & Hayes were all honored. UCLA also honored the AIAW champions of 40 years ago? with Anne Meyers speaking. While Billings and Canada both had big games for the Bruins, UCLA struggled with unranked Utah, before winning in OT. Aussie import Chantel Horvat ended up with 0 points. Attendance at Pauley Pavilion was 3866.

I assume that Ezi showed up in Storrs yesterday. Hopefully dinner at the Auriemmas was on the schedule. After hanging out with the team yesterday and today, Ezi will get to attend her 2nd straight Senior Day, but this time it will be "UConn style." There will be a packed house at Gampel. In addition to honoring two of the most beloved Huskies ever, Gabby's banner will be unveiled. Of course Ezi will have seen all the other AA banners as well as the eleven championship banners. Then she'll watch the undefeated, #1 ranked Huskies, face the nationally ranked USF Bulls on national TV, a team loaded with outstanding international players. If the game goes the same way it has gone in each of the last 4 meetings, UConn will give USF yet another lesson in how basketball is supposed to be played.

Afterwards, Ezi will have a long trip back to Canberra to consider her future. I really like UConn's chances.

Great minds thing alike, me too! If one were to compare the two programs side by side, it's not close (no pun intended). It has to be UConn. Forget the non-stop flights, and the near perfect local weather most of the time. Focus on what's really important here.

Sometimes one must endure a little hardship (freezing winter weather and connecting flights) to attain that which is desired and hoped for. If you really want to be transformed into the absolute best basketball player and person you can be, you go to the place where champions are made. UConn has one of the best track records going of turning out "world class" players/people. Their record (and former players) speaks for itself. No one can argue (though some would like to) the 11 championship trophies in their trophy case, or his graduation rate. :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Carnac

That venerable sage from the west
Reaction Score

I sure hope so. It's been said that one should never put all of your eggs in one basket. There is always the possibility of a temporary or season ending injury. It's always smart to have a "backup" post player, and a backup plan. You never want the injury bug to strike your program, so if there's a chance you can hedge your bet against it, you do it. Regardless, there will be plenty of playing time for both!!! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Great minds thing alike, me too! If one were to compare the two programs side by side, it's not close (no pun intended). It has to be UConn. Forget the non-stop flights, and the near perfect local weather most of the time. Focus on what's really important here.

Sometimes one must endure a little hardship (freezing winter weather and connecting flights) to attain that which is desired and hoped for. If you really want to be transformed into the absolute best basketball player and person you can be, you go to the place where champions are made. UConn has one of the best track records going of turning out "world class" players/people. Their record (and his former players) speaks for itself. No one can argue (though some would like to) the 11 championship trophies in their trophy case, or his graduation rate. :cool:
Agreed. If Ezi decides to attend UCLA, it would indicate that she wants to spend a few years in the US, have some fun and play a little basketball.

On the other hand, if Ezi decides on UConn, it would indicate her desire to become both a champion as well as the absolute best basketball player she can be.

Another BY’er suggested that her decision would come down to remaining in the Australian pro league or attending UConn. I tend to agree.

Reaction Score
Ideally a coach would be good in both categories, but that's fairly rare. If I had to choose one or the other I'd take the coach 'em up approach. But of course you have to have some talent, even if it's of the under the radar diamond in the rough variety.
I don't recall if Marie Gulich was recruited by any other schools other than Oregon State. Talk about "coaching em up"! This kid is playing as well as anyone in the country right now. Her progression from her freshman year, heck, even last year, is just unreal. Oregon State coaches know how to develop talent.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
If you want to be an international team star - you go with the program that develops them. More than anyone else. And with the coach that has developed them, coached them on the international level and can talk about international competition. The question is: can she handle what is going to be asked of her? If so, then and she wants to come to the US to play college ball, there isn't much of a choice here.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
"UCLA is a good program"? In the immortal words of Ricky Watters " for who for what"? Has the UCLA program ever developed an Olympic caliber women's basketball player besides Ann Meyers back in the day? Chantel not exactly ripping things up for UCLA either. Chantel playing 16 minutes per game and shooting only 38% for UCLA on the season.

UConn is obviously a better program w/ better coaching staff than UCLA. Do you REALLY want to try to point out how a freshman was utilized at UCLA this year? Think about how many minutes UConn's freshman class played and how productive they were. If you didn't know anything about UConn's history and just looked at the freshmen this year, Storrs is probably the last place any top recruit should choose to go to.

UConnCat

Wise Woman
Reaction Score
UConn is obviously a better program w/ better coaching staff than UCLA. Do you REALLY want to try to point out how a freshman was utilized at UCLA this year? Think about how many minutes UConn's freshman class played and how productive they were. If you didn't know anything about UConn's history and just looked at the freshmen this year, Storrs is probably the last place any top recruit should choose to go to.

Right, because history has shown that for top recruits who choose UConn it's so downhill after their freshman years.

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Right, because history has shown that for top recruits who choose UConn it's so downhill after their freshman years.

Try using some context for what I posted. Look at the post I quoted.

Reaction Score
In women's basketball we're not used to having players bolt for the pros after
one or two years. I could envision that as a scenario for Ezi, although she
would have to play a year in Australia before coming to the WNBA. I would
think that an offer from Geno would be contingent upon a four year commitment.

Personally, I think that it's unlikely that she will come to Connecticut, and even
less likely that we would have her for four years.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score

Every recruit that has gone to Storrs over the last 20 years has heard the phrase "cow town" more that once. Except for ice cream and basketball (and the 18th ranked public university) who would want to go to Storrs?;)

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yes I do. Actually, I think I just did.
Good thing I know my UCONN history and so do the top recruits which is why they keep coming to Storrs.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom