Explain to Stanford, Louisville, Baylor and Maryland | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Explain to Stanford, Louisville, Baylor and Maryland

Reaction Score
I generally agree, although it’s unlikely that SC will be a 1 seed if they lose again in the SEC tournament. Should SC lose, I think the last #1 will be whichever team, Louisville or NC St, wins the ACC tournament.
Don't ignore Maryland if they win the B1G and SC & NCst lose again. That's the kind of team the committee loves.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Guys, stop bickering. Start discussing

Reaction Score
You are but you didn't know you are. You keep saying Creme has no influence on the committees but without any details and evidences. Creme raises such big alarm on his bracketology in ESPN and you believe he has no influence? I don't believe it.
I'd it's been the opposite. Before Creme started meeting with some of the committee he was way off some years. But after a few sessions with the NCAA his selections almost mirrored theirs. I'd say that Creme has served as a way for the committee to lessen the shock when their picks come out. Everyone says, "they agree with Creme so they must be valid". After all, it's all just a PR gimmick designed to draw public attention.
The committee has little real power. They are bound by the rules for selection. If there is anything going on behind the scenes it's with whomever makes those Policies and Procedures. That's where the power lies.

My opinion? Any fan that thinks his/her team needs an easy path to the FF isn't rooting for a FF team.

Reaction Score
The committee has little real power. They are bound by the rules for selection. If there is anything going on behind the scenes it's with whomever makes those Policies and Procedures. That's where the power lies.
You keep saying that, but I dont understand why.
The policies and procedures are not all that restrictive.

• They say little, if anything, about how the ~32 at-large teams are chosen. That's entirely the committee.
  • They say little, if anything, on how the teams are to be ranked 1-64. That's entirely the committee.
  • The place they come in is during the placement of the teams in the bracket. But again, the restrictions are mostly around where members of the same conference can be placed and how early the can meet up. The only other major criteria I can think of is that they try to keep from sending a team far from home 3 years in a row. Everything else about placement is up to the committee.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I dont understand why people are so triggered by Creme's projections. He's making picks based on what he thinks the committee will value, not his own favorites. More importantly, he gives us content and insight that we otherwise don't have. It's not like there are people lining up to give their bracketology projections for women's basketball.

Reaction Score
I dont understand why people are so triggered by Creme's projections. He's making picks based on what he thinks the committee will value, not his own favorites. More importantly, he gives us content and insight that we otherwise don't have. It's not like there are people lining up to give their bracketology projections for women's basketball.
Bb, he’s part of the ESPN industrial complex in its efforts to destroy UConn , and he will not be stopped until all 14 SEC teams are selected for the tournament. How can you not see that?

Reaction Score
There’s a lot of dominoes involved. What if Stanford gets knocked off in the Pac12 tournament? What if UConn gets knocked off in the BE....,?
clean cartoon network GIF

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
I dont think 1 good win is going to be enough to get Louisville a #1. If SC & NCSt lose, I suspect it'll be Maryland or possibly Baylor.

If TAMU loses, they probably hold the last #1, unless NCSt wins the ACCT.
As long as I've watched the women's NCAA tournament selection show, I just seem to remember them several times reward a team for winning their conference tournament (despite a lack of quality wins in the regular season) and vault them a bit too high in the seedings for my liking. To many of the past committees, it's like "what have you done for me lately?" (conference tourney championship) is more important than the body of work accomplished in the previous 3-4 months.

So, it will not surprise me to see Louisville end up as #1 seed if they beat NC State on the way to the ACC tourney championship. Granted, another team ahead of them vying for a #1 seed will need to falter in their conference tournament.

UcMiami

How it is
Reaction Score
Everybody gets freaked out about the committee and how the seeds are going to go, but the reality is every team is going to have to play six games to win an NC and three of those games are going to be against really good teams that are playing really well themselves. Most years come down to a FF populated by 4 team from the top ten of everyone's list. Here is a decade by decade analysis of FF seeds (perfect score would be 4.0 = 4 one seeds 6.0 = 2 ones and 2 twos, or 3 ones and 1 three etc.):

1990-1999 score is 9.6, 7 years in which a seed other than a 1 or 2 made the FF and 14 non 1 or 2 seed team in the 10 years of FF

2000-2009 score is 7.2, 4 years with other than a 1 or a 2 seed, and 7 non 1 or 2 in the decade.

2010-2019 score is 7.0, 4 years with other than a 1 or 2 seed and 6 non 1 or 2 seeds in the decade.

If you throw out the worst year in each decade as an aberration (eg a #7 seed Washington taking down a 3 and a 4 and two #4 seeds taking out 2 #1s) The scores would be: 9.1/6.4/6.2

Two things, an average of 7.0/7.2 is pretty good for a 64 team tournament for a decade, and the committee has done noticeably better since 2000 than before 2000 (I might say the game has grown up.)

[7.0 = 3 #1s and #4, or 2#1s and a #2 and a #3, or 1 #1 and 3#2s]

In terms of 30 years of tournaments only 2 teams not seeded as a 1 or a 2 ever won the tournament both #3 seeds, the last time when TN got healthy and won in 1997.

Baylor in 2005, MD in 2006, and TA&M in 2011 are the only teams to win not seeded #1 since TN's win in 1997, all as a #2 seed.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
I guess I'm in the minority, as I don't mind Creme at all.

There’s a lot of dominoes involved. What if Stanford gets knocked off in the Pac12 tournament? What if UConn gets knocked off in the BE....,?

There is better chance of me becoming a vegetarian than UCONN getting knocked off in the Big East tournament

southie

Longhorn Lover
Reaction Score
Creme bothers me when he sulks LIVE on ESPN after the announcement of the committee's bracket and it doesn't match his. His ego gets bruised badly. I believe that happened back in 2018 when Miss. State was awarded the final #1 national seed instead of Baylor. I mean, all the numbers (SOS, RPI, etc.) favored MSU, I believe, but he was constant in all his brackets leading up to the announcement that the committee would name Baylor the last #1 national seed. He takes things too personally, IMO.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Creme bothers me when he sulks LIVE on ESPN after the announcement of the committee's bracket and it doesn't match his. His ego gets bruised badly. I believe that happened back in 2018 when Miss. State was awarded the final #1 national seed instead of Baylor. I mean, all the numbers (SOS, RPI, etc.) favored MSU, I believe, but he was constant in all his brackets leading up to the announcement that the committee would name Baylor the last #1 national seed. It takes things too personally, IMO.
And now he constantly says South Carolina is #1 seed even South Carolina loses 4 games, 19-4 record.

Reaction Score
Creme has a Wilson ball prominently displayed in his display case when doing TV interviews.
Perhaps he’s giving us a clue as to his reasoning for ranking SC as a number one seed
Or it might be because that is the official ball of the NCAA tournament (which it is)

Reaction Score
Do donuts count as vegetables?

They should- they are one of the 7 major food groups. Hate to guess how much I’ve shortened my life span by indulging in airport doughnuts or warm krispy kremes just off the line. My New Years resolutions don’t kick in until basketball season ends.

Reaction Score
I agree with who you picked but the committee has stated in the past that early season games count the same. And that loss to NCSt was at home where the Gamecocks scored 48 points. I realize they played a lot of top 50 teams but the very best teams beat them, every time. That's not a 1 seed resume. If they get one it will be for lack of anyone better, not for the season they had.
They won’t get a 1 seed unless they win the tournament. If that happens they will probably have to beat A7M so there’s that top 5 marquee win they need along with all the other quad 1 wins.

Reaction Score
They should- they are one of the 7 major food groups. Hate to guess how much I’ve shortened my life span by indulging in airport doughnuts or warm krispy kremes just off the line. My New Years resolutions don’t kick in until basketball season ends.
I thought there were only 3 major food groups...?
(beer, pizza, monster energy)

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Bb, he’s part of the ESPN industrial complex in its efforts to destroy UConn , and he will not be stopped until all 14 SEC teams are selected for the tournament. How can you not see that?
Ah my mistake. Thanks for clearing that up.

Reaction Score
Why would anyone need to explain to Stanford, Louisville, Baylor, and Maryland why South Carolina got a number 1 seed? Pretty sure those teams were on the end of some of interesting seedings in their history. No need for South Carolina to explain to anyone. If the experts think that South Carolina is worthy of the number 1 seeding, so be it.

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
Yeah it was really early... for both teams. The SC guards shooting and shot selection hasn't improved since then. :eek::eek::eek: Plus State played the game without Jada Boyd..... a sixth woman who averages 11pts and 6 rebounds a game. The Aggies might be the most complete team, but State is a very balanced team as well. They only go 7 deep... but all 7 players are capable of dropping 15+ points in a game at any given time... not many teams like that around.
Reading this gave me a chill and the hair stand up on the back of my neck.

Bald Husky

four score
Reaction Score
Wow! I go to get my second vaccine shot this morning. After reading all this, my head is already spinning. I was hoping to not get a bad reaction, so now I'm just hoping to survive.

SimpleDawg

Dan Mullen, Dak Prescott, and Vic Schaefer fan
Reaction Score
After today, I think there's no question NcState deserves it. Whether they value SC's batch of wins over teams seeded 3-5 over NcState's 3 elite wins..... I don't know.

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
After today, I think there's no question NcState deserves it. Whether they value SC's batch of wins over teams seeded 3-5 over NcState's 3 elite wins..... I don't know.
Agreed completely. I don’t see how they ignore that NC St has 3 wins over teams in the top 2 seed lines — including a road win at SC. But hey, I don’t get paid the big bucks they do.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom