Evolution of Evina | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Evolution of Evina

Reaction Score
Though she can score, shoot the 3, defend, dish out assists and rebound, Evina's greatest contributions are her maturity and controlled aggression. She is exactly the missing piece for this team.

Regarding Aaliyah and Liv playing together; it has to happen. Specifically when we play SCAR. Geno will have to equalize their size at some times during the game. IMO, both Liv and AE run better than the SCAR bigs and I think the fourth quarter will prove that out. Aaliyah has to learn how to stay on the floor and not commit unnecessary fouls like the two offensive fouls yesterday. A little more tutelage from CD and Jamelle will take care of that. To me AE is the classic 4. She can play both the power game and the stretch game.
I couldn't agree more Husky! I really like your insight on their ability to get up and down the floor much better than the SC bigs. I think as you do that this will be a big asset to us come the 4th quarter especially. I can just see those SC bigs huffin and puffin down the floor trying to keep up with Liv and AE.

I also think AE may start before the season is out. She is our Willnet Crockett! I love the idea of bringing AM off the bench for some game changing offense!

Reaction Score
Though she can score, shoot the 3, defend, dish out assists and rebound, Evina's greatest contributions are her maturity and controlled aggression. She is exactly the missing piece for this team.

Regarding Aaliyah and Liv playing together; it has to happen. Specifically when we play SCAR. Geno will have to equalize their size at some times during the game. IMO, both Liv and AE run better than the SCAR bigs and I think the fourth quarter will prove that out. Aaliyah has to learn how to stay on the floor and not commit unnecessary fouls like the two offensive fouls yesterday. A little more tutelage from CD and Jamelle will take care of that. To me AE is the classic 4. She can play both the power game and the stretch game.
Agree about Aaliyah. I think she has to learn by playing. I'd love to see an old-school lineup with an actual 4 and 5. I think it would help Liv too. I love high-low post action. We had it with Gabby and Pheesa. (too bad Gabby couldn't hit that 15 foot J). I know our squad is versatile, with many interchangeable parts but I think you can create redundancy too. I love Anna, but she played virtually the entire game and was invisible for most of it. Anyone that has played hoops themselves knows what it is like to be invisible.
Baylor. Seen Oregon yet. There are lots of men's D1 teams with less height.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
In today's (December 14) Waterbury Republican-American, there is a great article about Evina.
She loves the role she has accepted as head advisor to all the Freshman, and is praised by Geno and Shea for her physical and mental contributions to the team.

In the article, how Evina sees the UConn coaching

She already had the skills to be a tremendous playmaker both for herself and teammates at Tennessee where she averaged 14.9 points and had 165 assists as a sophomore. She said Auriemma and his staff allowed her to add subtleties of the game that have made a huge difference for her and hopefully the Huskies.

“Just seeing the floor and seeing different options differently, when to slow down and when to speed up,” Westbrook said. “Our offense is basically all concepts, so how to play off of the defense. He tells us all the time, once they take away something, they are giving something up. He’s taught me to be open-minded on the court.”

From Westbrook’s perspective, she picked the right place to showcase her skills, mature her game and find the support she needs. Despite all the adversity she has faced with regard to sitting out last season, rehabbing from two surgeries and enduring the pandemic delays, the team has been with her every step.

“I’ve had the right support system here helping me get through all that,” Westbrook said. “When you go through a lot of things it definitely changes you. I have definitely grown so much as a player. The coaching staff here has helped me take my game to a different level.”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Agree about Aaliyah. I think she has to learn by playing. I'd love to see an old-school lineup with an actual 4 and 5. I think it would help Liv too. I love high-low post action. We had it with Gabby and Pheesa. (too bad Gabby couldn't hit that 15 foot J). I know our squad is versatile, with many interchangeable parts but I think you can create redundancy too. I love Anna, but she played virtually the entire game and was invisible for most of it. Anyone that has played hoops themselves knows what it is like to be invisible.
Baylor. Seen Oregon yet. There are lots of men's D1 teams with less height.
AM had 8 pts, 7 rebs, 5 assists, 2 steals. that is a great stat line. she was not invisible. She only made 2 of 6 three pointers, although one was to beat the shot clock and i dont count that one. so 2 of 5 is 40% and really good. she was dead on with the other misses. could have easily had more points. but she still stuffed the stat sheet. ill take that every day....

Reaction Score
Ok, fine.
Do you have an opinion about starting Aaliyah? I want to see that, for some of the reasons I mentioned.
Would have to then bring somebody off the bench. Evina? Anna?
Between me and you, I'd love to see Aubrey too. (I know I can be radical. Too old to change.) Our offense definitely would not be a Michelangelo, maybe more a Jackson Pollock, but we'd be athletic as hell.
CW would have to step up, or she'd be coming off the bench. To be continued........ more games this week!

Reaction Score
AM had 8 pts, 7 rebs, 5 assists, 2 steals. that is a great stat line. she was not invisible. She only made 2 of 6 three pointers, although one was to beat the shot clock and i dont count that one. so 2 of 5 is 40% and really good. she was dead on with the other misses. could have easily had more points. but she still stuffed the stat sheet. ill take that every day....
If we are going to start 4 guards, if Anna can be in the 7-10 rebs routinely, she is doing her job. The pts will come for her. I still believe the overall game plan for UMass was to get the ball inside anyway.

Reaction Score
If we are going to start 4 guards, if Anna can be in the 7-10 rebs routinely, she is doing her job. The pts will come for her. I still believe the overall game plan for UMass was to get the ball inside anyway.
She was essentially one three away from what I think she will give us this year. 11-12 points a game, 6 reb, 4-4 assists and 2 steals. that is a great stat line if she can do it.

Reaction Score

Yes I agree that AE is the classic 4 .. and Liv is the classic 5 .. and we don't really have replacement(s) for either so we need to keep [both of] them away from foul trouble .. opposing teams know this so our guards [which we have plenty of] need to double-down to help with post defense, eh?

Reaction Score
Ok, fine.
Do you have an opinion about starting Aaliyah? I want to see that, for some of the reasons I mentioned.
Would have to then bring somebody off the bench. Evina? Anna?
Between me and you, I'd love to see Aubrey too. (I know I can be radical. Too old to change.) Our offense definitely would not be a Michelangelo, maybe more a Jackson Pollock, but we'd be athletic as hell.
CW would have to step up, or she'd be coming off the bench. To be continued........ more games this week!
I would love to see AE in the starting lineup at some point this year bc it would mean:
1. AE is doing everything geno wants her to do...rebound, defend, set pics and be physical. run out on the break.. probably get some points too.
2. AM coming off the bench also means that AE is doing great and then we have a serious offensive punch with AM to come into the game.

That would be great!

I've also thought of scenarios with CW coming off the bench and EW starting at the 2. Problem with that is it would mean CW is struggling.

Reaction Score
I expect Evina to play well in the big games. Not many players would have made the long pass she made . That showed a great amount of poise, and being in the moment, regardless of the score.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
I expect Evina to play well in the big games. Not many players would have made the long pass she made . That showed a great amount of poise, and being in the moment, regardless of the score.
Confidence in herself and Aubrey.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
In reviewing Geno’s style and reward system, I really don’t see him tinkering with that starting 5 unless an injury or a “point to be made” occurs. To review:
Liv is our only 5, and is a Junior, she starts.
CW is our natural 2 and has started every game at UConn. She starts
Evina has proved more in her career albeit at Tenn than either Liv or CW with the only question if she was healthy. She’s the behind the scenes leader of this team. The staff loves her. She starts.
Paige...Need I actually have to say anything? She starts.
Anna is savvy, can do so many things on the floor including facilitate and shoot 3s that are others have yet to do. She might not be flashy but she earned her starting spot last year and Geno does not revoke that spot on whims. She starts.

AE is a freshman who will see significant minutes and be counted on. She will be a beast to have to match up against from anyone else’s bench save, SC, Stanford or Oregon. She does not need to start.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
In the article, how Evina sees the UConn coaching

She already had the skills to be a tremendous playmaker both for herself and teammates at Tennessee where she averaged 14.9 points and had 165 assists as a sophomore. She said Auriemma and his staff allowed her to add subtleties of the game that have made a huge difference for her and hopefully the Huskies.

“Just seeing the floor and seeing different options differently, when to slow down and when to speed up,” Westbrook said. “Our offense is basically all concepts, so how to play off of the defense. He tells us all the time, once they take away something, they are giving something up. He’s taught me to be open-minded on the court.”

From Westbrook’s perspective, she picked the right place to showcase her skills, mature her game and find the support she needs. Despite all the adversity she has faced with regard to sitting out last season, rehabbing from two surgeries and enduring the pandemic delays, the team has been with her every step.

“I’ve had the right support system here helping me get through all that,” Westbrook said. “When you go through a lot of things it definitely changes you. I have definitely grown so much as a player. The coaching staff here has helped me take my game to a different level.”
After what she went thru at Tennessee, both from fans and her own teammates, I'm thrilled she is at a place where she can thrive not only as a player, but as a person as well.

I recall when they were trying for the NCAA waiver, Geno was shocked when it was denied. He knew what went on. IIRC he told Evina that if she wanted to tell her story, he's be totally supportive. For her sake, I'm glad she took the high road.

I know we only get her for a shorter period of time (technically I think she could play for 3 years if she wanted to take advantage of the NCAA rules for sports this year), but she's already one of my most respected UCONN players. She's really special.

Reaction Score
Of all the things that impressed me about Evina’s return to competitive basketball after a two year hiatus, I was most impressed with her poise and leadership on the court. She did a little bit of everything, and nothing she did was rushed. Evina continually communicated with her teammates on and off the court, and was clearly one of UConn’s 2 primary leaders during the game along with Paige.

I still remain somewhat concerned about Evina’s knee. I don’t think she’s quite at full speed yet, and there were a few times during the game when her movement appeared just a little tentative, as if to protect her knee. I’m certain she’s still doing a lot of rehab work, and hopefully it’s just a matter of time before she’s 100%.
Agree on Evina favoring the knee multiple times. We likely need to be patient and rate her based on how she does at the end of the year. That being said, smart player. Fun to watch her.

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I watched Evina play for two seasons at Tennessee. Watching now there is a lot more maturity in the way she carries herself on the court. There is a sense of confidence that she can do whatever she wants to do when necessary. She did not show that at UT to the level she showed Saturday. Howard at Kentucky shows the same kind of confidence.

Reaction Score
Yeah she is a heck of an athlete trying to learn how to play organised BB. I thought she was more 6'3 but she can be a handful. I'd still take Aubrey in a race up the court though. :)

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Love what I've seen from her so far. I'll have to look back at old Tennessee games but her running looks guarded. I wonder if she will be on a minutes restriction like Caroline Doty was her senior year, she would just seem to be more productive than Caroline was that year. In any event, her experience and leadership will be her biggest contribution and I very much look forward to her helping us reclaim the NC! Go Huskies!
Hey DaConn, I just noticed your post count and start date. Welcome the Boneyard!

Reaction Score
Of all the things that impressed me about Evina’s return to competitive basketball after a two year hiatus, I was most impressed with her poise and leadership on the court. She did a little bit of everything, and nothing she did was rushed. Evina continually communicated with her teammates on and off the court, and was clearly one of UConn’s 2 primary leaders during the game along with Paige.

I still remain somewhat concerned about Evina’s knee. I don’t think she’s quite at full speed yet, and there were a few times during the game when her movement appeared just a little tentative, as if to protect her knee. I’m certain she’s still doing a lot of rehab work, and hopefully it’s just a matter of time before she’s 100%.

yes Westbrook doesn't look like the same explosive player she was at Tennessee............I'm not sure if that is just rust, her playing her way back into shape or the new normal..............she definitely will have an important role to play this season but regaining her athleticism is going to be vital if UConn is to reach the NC game.......

Reaction Score
Hey DaConn, I just noticed your post count and start date. Welcome the Boneyard!
Thank you. I love The Boneyard, such a wealth of information and insight. I've been a fan since '95 when I first watched them play. Go Huskies!

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Game 4 for UConn was Evina's formal coming out party-
29 Min, 5 of 8 shooting, 3-5 3pt shooting, 2-2 FT, 4 Reb, 4 Assists, 4 Steals, 1 Block, 3 turnovers, ZERO fouls, 15 points and NO KNEE BRACE!

If that stat line doesn't tell you want she means to this team, nothing will. She filled all the stat lines and is doing whatever it takes for the team to win. Good for you Evina, good for us!

:)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom