Evolution of Evina | The Boneyard

Evolution of Evina

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Finally, after some 630 days, we got to see the #2 player in the 2017 Class play for our UConn Huskies. While it has been much debated on this forum on how little Tenn LV players improved during the "Holly years", I have been curious to see how the abundantly clear skills of EW would evolve and shine under a more disciplined Coaching regime. Evina's 2 years in Tennessee saw assists per game/turnovers/A-TO of 4.3/3.7/1.2 and 5.3/3.3/1.6 which as the primary point guard on an "elite team" is not really good. Yesterday, we saw a 4-1 Assist and Turnover total. By watching her play, we did not see any "rushed or forced" passes and we saw a team expecting to get and give passes. We also saw 2 steals and 1 rebound. We did see 4 personal fouls as well. For me, just seeing her mostly healthy, starting (!) and contributing was sheer joy. I remember her "edge" in competing at Tennessee and as both Geno and CD have stated a few times, the team was lacking that "edge" that EW brings.

While she lead Tennessee in scoring her sophomore year at 14.9, scoring is not what UConn needs for her to do. Hit the outside shot, move the ball, bring good defense and most of all bring that maturity, edge and attitude to raise this young teams game.

I will always look to her on the floor in every game to watch how she continues to blossom as I view her leadership and example she brings critical to our success as these freshman develop.

What say you my BY seers of WCBB, what say you?

Reaction Score
I am looking forward to seeing her develop over the course of the season. It has been a long time since she played competitively and that must take a toll. She can lead a team and this time around will lead with a strong supporting cast. I wish her well.

Reaction Score
Finally, after some 630 days, we got to see the #2 player in the 2017 Class play for our UConn Huskies. While it has been much debated on this forum on how little Tenn LV players improved during the "Holly years", I have been curious to see how the abundantly clear skills of EW would evolve and shine under a more disciplined Coaching regime. Evina's 2 years in Tennessee saw assists per game/turnovers/A-TO of 4.3/3.7/1.2 and 5.3/3.3/1.6 which as the primary point guard on an "elite team" is not really good. Yesterday, we saw a 4-1 Assist and Turnover total. By watching her play, we did not see any "rushed or forced" passes and we saw a team expecting to get and give passes. We also saw 2 steals and 1 rebound. We did see 4 personal fouls as well. For me, just seeing her mostly healthy, starting (!) and contributing was sheer joy. I remember her "edge" in competing at Tennessee and as both Geno and CD have stated a few times, the team was lacking that "edge" that EW brings.

While she lead Tennessee in scoring her sophomore year at 14.9, scoring is not what UConn needs for her to do. Hit the outside shot, move the ball, bring good defense and most of all bring that maturity, edge and attitude to raise this young teams game.

I will always look to her on the floor in every game to watch how she continues to blossom as I view her leadership and example she brings critical to our success as these freshman develop.

She wasn't the point in this game. She was essentially the 3rd guard, so her A:TO should be better, given her passing skills and having two other guards in the game with her.

Reaction Score
I agree that Evina was more like a third guard, actually the SF if you have to pick one position. I actually prefer that Geno doesn't look at Evina like a point guard. I think if you just look at her ball-handling/passing abilities she might be just a little above average for a point guard, good for a SG, and great for a SF.

By Uconn standards we were nothing special as a passing team last year. I wonder if we have ever had a year where we brought in more passing talent than this year. Paige and Nika were both described by Geno as "excellent passers" even before they had played their first game. On this team Evina could be the fourth best passer, behind those two and Anna.

There is not much reason to choose to use her at PG but both she and Anna can be great passers at other positions.

Reaction Score
The BY last week was talking about Evina starting at PG. Some people mentioning starting her over Paige, bringing Paige off the bench. Well, if we learned anything from Sat it was that that idea was totally wrong.
I said that there were players that you leave on the floor. Paige. Pull her for occasional rest, maybe after 4 turnovers in a row or something, but Paige is on the floor.
Evina looked like a solid WCBB player. Looks like she could play anywhere in the country. I have to say though, I did not see anything really special, other than her versatility and all-around game. I predict we will see her true value when things get tough, such as in tight games. Good luck Evina. She appears to be total quality.

HuskylnSC

North is a direction; South is a lifestyle
Reaction Score
I felt she realized the level of the opposition more than the freshmen and played very under control. She played like an elder stateman and focused on the team aspect. She threw a few really great passes and hustled on defense. There was no need to assert herself. I believe that when the games have meaning and the entire boneyard is tense, her intensity will come out and we will see all that she can bring to the table.

I really enjoyed watching all the freshmen. I see the reports of the aggression of Nika and Aaliyah were all true. Mir gave me much more than I expected from the reports. Evidently she plays better than she practices. There is another freshman guard, but her name escapes me now. She was pretty good too.

Piath was a delight to me. As i watched her, I couldn't help think of a new born thoroughbred foal. They look so clumsy and awkward as they try to find their feet. But you know that young thing can run. Piath's so young in basketball terms, so raw. But what an athlete. Soft hands and terrific feet. Good speed for her size. She was totally lost a couple of times, but she is going to be dominant in 24 months.

Reaction Score
The court vision and looong pass to Aubrey [and Aubrey's catch and finish] was one for the ages. Sure to make the highlight reel for the whole season.
Wasn't sure but now i m sold on Evina! :)

JoePgh

Cranky pants and wise acre
Reaction Score
Waiting for the Steelers - Bills game to start this evening, I looked on YouTube for full-game footage of Evina in Rocky Top. I found one of the last games that she played as #2 in orange, against Mississippi State (whose roster included AEH as well as Tiara McGowan) in the SEC tournament in the spring of 2019, with Holly Warlick as her coach.

Tennessee lost that game by about 15 points, which ended their participation in that tournament. As I recall, they barely made the NCAA tournament in 2019 and made an early exit. However, Evina played the full game as point guard for the LV's. I didn't notice that she ever went to the bench until the end when the game was decided. She scored 19 points (I believe) and had some nice assists. As you would expect, the offense looked rather disorganized, and they had a lot of turnovers, but I didn't notice that Evina herself was unusually turnover-prone in that game. The announcers (who included Tamika Catchings) said that Evina was really the centerpiece of the Tennessee offense, and the team depended on her to make it work.

She had a much bigger role in that game than she had in yesterday's game against UMass-Lowell, and she handled it about as well as could be expected. It seems unlikely to me that she will ever have (at least this year) as big an on-court role on the UConn team as she had on that team. In part, that is because she has more skilled teammates (although her TN team included Rennia Davis and Zay Green), and in part because the UConn offense is designed to spread the scoring around more than TN's did.

But that game demonstrates to me that she has the physical ability and personal character to play a leading role if that ever becomes necessary. I only wonder about her physical ability following two surgeries to play at the same level as she did two years ago.

Reaction Score
I felt she realized the level of the opposition more than the freshmen and played very under control. She played like an elder stateman and focused on the team aspect. She threw a few really great passes and hustled on defense. There was no need to assert herself. I believe that when the games have meaning and the entire boneyard is tense, her intensity will come out and we will see all that she can bring to the table.

I really enjoyed watching all the freshmen. I see the reports of the aggression of Nika and Aaliyah were all true. Mir gave me much more than I expected from the reports. Evidently she plays better than she practices. There is another freshman guard, but her name escapes me now. She was pretty good too.

Piath was a delight to me. As i watched her, I couldn't help think of a new born thoroughbred foal. They look so clumsy and awkward as they try to find their feet. But you know that young thing can run. Piath's so young in basketball terms, so raw. But what an athlete. Soft hands and terrific feet. Good speed for her size. She was totally lost a couple of times, but she is going to be dominant in 24 months.
Yes. What you said about Evina. She played like an under control elder stateswoman. She takes seriously the need to lead by example. I was especially impressed by her effort on defense. Also her technique. Her defensive stance is textbook, and she switches with the best of them. She was constantly encouraging her teammates. My favorite play of the game was when E had an open shot at the rim on a fast break but dumped it off to Paige. Then E let out a roar, as if she had hit a buzzer beater to win a game. Of all the players on the team, Evina and Chrystin have the most reason to be resentful of Paige, but E took evident delight in setting up one of her ducklings, and simultaneously making the point to the rest of the team that they should not worry about playing in Paige's shadow. Evina is a class act. We are fortunate that she decided to finish her college career at UCONN.

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
I just watched part of the replay and noticed something else about E. In the little free throw huddles, she was the one who took control and spoke first and sometimes directly to one player. Right now it looks like Momma's team. Maybe later Paige or CW will step up but not yesterday.

I have an inkling that she is so very all in this year, if she cuts down the final net it will be one and done for her. I wonder if she is thinking, like Tuck, the knee will only last a few more seasons so she better go pro at first opportunity.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
Of all the things that impressed me about Evina’s return to competitive basketball after a two year hiatus, I was most impressed with her poise and leadership on the court. She did a little bit of everything, and nothing she did was rushed. Evina continually communicated with her teammates on and off the court, and was clearly one of UConn’s 2 primary leaders during the game along with Paige.

I still remain somewhat concerned about Evina’s knee. I don’t think she’s quite at full speed yet, and there were a few times during the game when her movement appeared just a little tentative, as if to protect her knee. I’m certain she’s still doing a lot of rehab work, and hopefully it’s just a matter of time before she’s 100%.

Last edited:

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Of all the things that impressed me about Evina’s return to competitive basketball after a two year hiatus, I was most impressed about her poise and leadership on the court. She did a little bit of everything, and nothing she did was rushed. Evina continually communicated with her teammates on and off the court, and was clearly one of UConn’s 2 primary leaders during the game along with Paige.

I still remain somewhat concerned about Evina’s knee. I don’t think she’s quite at full speed yet, and there were a few times during the game when her movement appeared just a little tentative, as if to protect her knee. I’m certain she’s still doing a lot of rehab work, and hopefully it’s just a matter of time before she’s 100%.

If her mobility was 100%, I think her defense would be on par with Kia Nurse. She really stalks the opponent and plays body angles really well. And her playmaking is very very good. Paige will probably outshine her alot of the time but she is really valuable. If she gets major minutes, she will make her way into Rd 1 of the WNBA draft with my blessings.

Reaction Score
If her mobility was 100%, I think her defense would be on par with Kia Nurse. She really stalks the opponent and plays body angles really well. And her playmaking is very very good. Paige will probably outshine her alot of the time but she is really valuable. If she gets major minutes, she will make her way into Rd 1 of the WNBA draft with my blessings.
Based on next year's recruiting class, and what I believe are her WNBA goals, I am fully expecting Evina to go pro after this year. I'm not sure, however, if she needs "major" minutes to accomplish a first round goal. Obviously the knee is a major issue regarding her pro prospects, but not so much now as later. Many players don't come all the way back, if that, until their second year back.

If she is having significant issues by the end of the season that would be far more serious. As for playing time, a star off the bench, or starting for a great program will get plenty of exposure for scouts. In addition I don't think Evina is currently being viewed as a future WNBA star anyway. She is probably considered pretty good at a-lot of things, maybe not great at least by WNBA standards at anything.

She may be most attractive to WNBA teams in the later half of the first round, where her well rounded skills and versatility might project as a good role player, capable of playing multiple positions, in a long career. Scouts can evaluate her point guard skills based on her days at Tennessee. They saw a scorer/passer, but this year in a lessor role on a greater team, she can show the other traits that might enhance her value to a WNBA team.

To the extent there may have been some questions about her from Tennessee, she can put most of those to bed this year by showing leadership, fitting in, being a team player, showing her defensive and rebounding abilities, and versatility to fill various roles. To a WNBA team in the later part of the first round looking for a good and versatile role player, they may like the player they see at Uconn, even in more limited minutes, more than the player they saw at Tennessee that played major minutes with the ball in her hands much of the time.

Reaction Score

I think she has a chance to help this year with her size, rebounding and defence. Just give a few minutes in case we need her. Geno may look to AE for those backup minutes for Liv but it would be nice to see what Piath can do also.

This is a bit off your topic and I apologise for that, but I also wonder if AE might get into the starting line-up at some point at PF and bring AM off the bench. That would be a heck of an offensive punch bringing AM off the bench.

Maybe AE can be like that Willnet Crockett (I finally remembered!!). She was really physical, could play some serious defence and rebound. She didn't score much but was still very effective in her role. I think AE could be like Willnet Crockett this year with her physicality! We need that bc i think we are a bit soft inside.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I agree with you on what we need Ervina to do this year. She was a 38% 3 point shooter at TN but after sitting and practicing for over a year hopefully she got better. On Paige's skip pass to the corner for the open 3pointer she showed beautiful form on the catch and shoot with great rotation on her shot. No hesitation. She also had two very nice passes one to Aubrey for a fast break layup and then to Paige on the three on one. She could have scored that one herself but I think she was rewarding Paige for her unselfish play. She could become if healthy a key ingredient in the pie. I forgot, she also bought into the overplay Defense that they were all trying to play.

Reaction Score
It sounds like Evina's personal goal is to be the lock-down defender on this team. I like that role for her because her energy and intensity really set the tone. I do think that depending on how CW plays this season, Evina could be called upon for a bigger offensive role. Shes a great facilitator and has the ability to score from many spots on the floor.

RockyMTblue2

Don't Look Up!
Reaction Score
"I still remain somewhat concerned about Evina’s knee. I don’t think she’s quite at full speed yet ...." It took Shea's pregame availability to get a truer picture of Evina's knee. She's never going to get to 100% and the knee will require special care and attention as long as she plays.

In addition, post game Evina said Geno took her out whenever she went out to manage the knee. Evina said that has been happening in practice too.

Reaction Score
I wish her luck moving forward with her knee issue. Sounds like it will be a chronic condition that will have to be managed for the rest of her career. Such a bummer for one so young.

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
In today's (December 14) Waterbury Republican-American, there is a great article about Evina.
She loves the role she has accepted as head advisor to all the Freshman, and is praised by Geno and Shea for her physical and mental contributions to the team.

Reaction Score
Evina sure generated a lot of words for a first game in 2 years. Who she is vs what she may become is hard to tell at the moment. We'll have to wait and hope that her knee holds up. Every time she makes a quick move, especially one that impacts the knee, I have uh-oh thoughts.
My only quibble about DBB's assessment is the importance of her scoring, We actually do need points from Evina. We have to replace Meg's production somewhere. Both Christyn and Ania are streak shooters, so if Westbrook only gives us 10 or fewer every night, we may be hunting points down the road. I agree that except in an emergency, Evina should not run the point: that's for Paige and Nika, but she needs to score.

Reaction Score
Love what I've seen from her so far. I'll have to look back at old Tennessee games but her running looks guarded. I wonder if she will be on a minutes restriction like Caroline Doty was her senior year, she would just seem to be more productive than Caroline was that year. In any event, her experience and leadership will be her biggest contribution and I very much look forward to her helping us reclaim the NC! Go Huskies!

HuskylnSC

Reaction Score
I think she has a chance to help this year with her size, rebounding and defence. Just give a few minutes in case we need her. Geno may look to AE for those backup minutes for Liv but it would be nice to see what Piath can do also.

This is a bit off your topic and I apologise for that, but I also wonder if AE might get into the starting line-up at some point at PF and bring AM off the bench. That would be a heck of an offensive punch bringing AM off the bench.

Maybe AE can be like that PF we got from LA many years ago. I can't remember her name but she was really physical, could play some serious defence and rebound. She didn't score much but was still very effective in her role. Somebody help me out with her name please.
Though she can score, shoot the 3, defend, dish out assists and rebound, Evina's greatest contributions are her maturity and controlled aggression. She is exactly the missing piece for this team.

Regarding Aaliyah and Liv playing together; it has to happen. Specifically when we play SCAR. Geno will have to equalize their size at some times during the game. IMO, both Liv and AE run better than the SCAR bigs and I think the fourth quarter will prove that out. Aaliyah has to learn how to stay on the floor and not commit unnecessary fouls like the two offensive fouls yesterday. A little more tutelage from CD and Jamelle will take care of that. To me AE is the classic 4. She can play both the power game and the stretch game.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom