Evan Miya Analysis & Rankings Resource | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Evan Miya Analysis & Rankings Resource

Reaction Score
Is it really? I’ve watched about 15 Purdue games this year. Literally half of their offense comes from lobbing it to the #1 offensive player in the country who isn’t capable of creating offense unless he gets the ball passed to him deep in the paint. I wonder how many of Smith’s assists are lobs to Edey. It’s gotta be like 30-40% of his assists coming from lobbing to their 7’6” monster.

He’s a decent pg, but let’s see if his numbers improve or drop next year when Edey is gone. You want to put up some $$ that says he’ll average the same or more assists next year as he does this year? I’ll hammer the under on that bet. If you watch Purdue you’ll also see that Edey gets double teamed and sometimes triple teamed most of the time he touches the ball. It leads to inflated shooting numbers for the guys around him. He’s a nice player, just has inflated stats because of Edey being on his team.
Isn't that the sign of a good team? Create easy scoring opportunities with the talent you have.

Reaction Score
Is it really? I’ve watched about 15 Purdue games this year. Literally half of their offense comes from lobbing it to the #1 offensive player in the country who isn’t capable of creating offense unless he gets the ball passed to him deep in the paint. I wonder how many of Smith’s assists are lobs to Edey. It’s gotta be like 30-40% of his assists coming from lobbing to their 7’6” monster.

He’s a decent pg, but let’s see if his numbers improve or drop next year when Edey is gone. You want to put up some $$ that says he’ll average the same or more assists next year as he does this year? I’ll hammer the under on that bet. If you watch Purdue you’ll also see that Edey gets double teamed and sometimes triple teamed most of the time he touches the ball. It leads to inflated shooting numbers for the guys around him. He’s a nice player, just has inflated stats because of Edey being on his team.
It’s amazing that literally half their offense is throwing it into Edey for dunks given he averages 23 ppg and Purdue averages 85 ppg.

Maybe instead of watching 15 Purdue games you should have only watched 5 and used the other 20 hours to figure out how math works.

Reaction Score
What do their lineups without Edey look like?
Minimum 20 possessions played with garbage time filtered out, their top 9 lineups feature Edey.

Their best non-Edey lineup is Smith/Loyer/Jones/Furst/Kaufman-Renn. +19 Net rating, which is good but not insane for an individiaul lineup.

But to answer the Braden Smith question a bit. He has a 37% assist rate with Edey in the game and a 34% assist rate with Edey off the court. 37% is 14th in the country. 34% would still be 25th in the country. With his shooting, he'd still be an all-league level player without Edey. His turnover rate spikes a bit though.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
A

According to CBB Analytics, 54 of 167 Braden Smith assists (32.3%) went to Edey.

He would still be top 35 in all of college basketball in assists (2,000+ players) if he didn’t have a single assist to Edey.

Reaction Score
A

According to CBB Analytics, 54 of 167 Braden Smith assists (32.3%) went to Edey.

He would still be top 35 in all of college basketball in assists (2,000+ players) if he didn’t have a single assist to Edey.
Ok, so you’re verifying that my assumption of 30-40% was correct. 32.3% it is.

Reaction Score
Isn't that the sign of a good team? Create easy scoring opportunities with the talent you have.
It’s more like the sign of a team that could exit the tournament early because they’re pretty dependent on one player.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
As another poster mentioned, his assist numbers are very good, but look at every Purdue highlight reel and you’ll realize half his assists come from throwing the ball within a 5 foot radius of Edey and watching him dunk over a guy 8” shorter than him. Sorry but there are about 30 other point guards I’d take on my team before Smith and Newton is one of them.
Ok but can you admit 30 other points was an exaggeration? It’s fine if you like Newton and some other guys better, but he’s absolutely a top 10 point in the nation.

Reaction Score

Yes, you're coming across as a massive hater in this thread. It's possible that he's both good and not as good as Tristen Newton

Reaction Score
A

You also have to account for all the attention Edey gets in the post. He gets the double tram, and puts the opposing Tesm's post defenders in foul trouble every game. This all factors into more/easier shots for his teammates.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
I vote to discredit any assist or basket for the rest of the season for ANY team (but UConn) that utilizes a 7 footer. That should clear things up.

Any Newton or Spencer assist to Clingan only gets amplified, however. It’s only fair.

Reaction Score
Yes, you're coming across as a massive hater in this thread. It's possible that he's both good and not as good as Tristen Newton
Definitely not hating on Purdue or Smith, just pointing out that his stats are grossly inflated (which they are). Purdue might be our biggest challenge to winning back to back championships if they can escape the first weekend. We will see, so far they've performed well in regular seasons, but flopped in the NCAA tournament. The past 3 years of the tournament they've had a 4 seed and two 1 seeds and they've lost twice in the first round and another time in the sweet 16 to a 15 seed. Maybe they'll pull a Virginia and win it all, but only time will tell. I actually really hope we play them in the tournament because we have more weapons than they can handle in my opinion and I watch A LOT of college basketball.

Reaction Score
Definitely not hating on Purdue or Smith, just pointing out that his stats are grossly inflated (which they are). Purdue might be our biggest challenge to winning back to back championships if they can escape the first weekend. We will see, so far they've performed well in regular seasons, but flopped in the NCAA tournament. The past 3 years of the tournament they've had a 4 seed and two 1 seeds and they've lost twice in the first round and another time in the sweet 16 to a 15 seed. Maybe they'll pull a Virginia and win it all, but only time will tell. I actually really hope we play them in the tournament because we have more weapons than they can handle in my opinion and I watch A LOT of college basketball.
All valid and accurate points, I just have no idea why any of that matters in regards to how Braden Smith is playing. Should we not count Tristen Newton's stats because he gets to throw the ball inside to Clingan? Again, it's possible to say that UConn is better than Purdue and also admit Braden Smith is a good player

Reaction Score
All valid and accurate points, I just have no idea why any of that matters in regards to how Braden Smith is playing. Should we not count Tristen Newton's stats because he gets to throw the ball inside to Clingan? Again, it's possible to say that UConn is better than Purdue and also admit Braden Smith is a good player
Again, no where did I say he wasn’t a good player, just that these stats that rank him as the 4th best player in the country are inflated. Would he be your 4th pick if you were drafting a college bball team from scratch? That’s my only point.

Reaction Score
What do their lineups without Edey look like?
Edey averages 31 mpg and has played 35+ min in 5 of their last 6 games. They don’t play many lineups without him.

Having said that, imagine Edey with Big East refs.

I think everyone here can sensibly say that Purdue is a wagon and an extremely likely NC contender. They are the one team that can hurt us when we’re not in foul trouble.

Let’s just continue to rejoice on the history of watching them lose to a team that plays 5 out with no guys over 6’7 on the opposing team.

Reaction Score
Again, no where did I say he wasn’t a good player, just that these stats that rank him as the 4th best player in the country are inflated. Would he be your 4th pick if you were drafting a college bball team from scratch? That’s my only point.
You said you would take 30 other PG’s over him. That’s not only hating, it’s dumb.

Name them then.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom