Evan Miya Analysis & Rankings Resource | The Boneyard

Evan Miya Analysis & Rankings Resource

Reaction Score
Pretty wild that we have our whole starting 5 in the top 30 player ratings in the country. Also, is there a guy in the country more overrated than Braden Smith at Purdue? The guy is averaging 12 pts/game and his coach is complaining that he wasn't a finalist for the Cousy award. I'm pretty confident that Castle would lock him down completely. He's less athletic than Cam Spencer and about half as good in my opinion.

caw

Reaction Score
Pretty wild that we have our whole starting 5 in the top 30 player ratings in the country. Also, is there a guy in the country more overrated than Braden Smith at Purdue? The guy is averaging 12 pts/game and his coach is complaining that he wasn't a finalist for the Cousy award. I'm pretty confident that Castle would lock him down completely. He's less athletic than Cam Spencer and about half as good in my opinion.

I don’t know if he’s less athletic than Cam but he’s a very good PG. Arguably top ten depending on who you list as a PG.

Goodman said he would take him over T-New which is all I needed to hear to know he's overrated

They never liked Newton. Hell they went all last year saying UConn didn’t have a PG.

87Xfer

Resident Ignorant Dope
Reaction Score
Wild that Maya's top 5 man lineup for UConn has Ball, not Castle

Reaction Score
Is there a guy in the country more overrated than Braden Smith at Purdue? The guy is averaging 12 pts/game and his coach is complaining that he wasn't a finalist for the Cousy award. I'm pretty confident that Castle would lock him down completely. He's less athletic than Cam Spencer and about half as good in my opinion.
He's had the most assist in the country, that seems pretty relevant to a an award about point guards

Reaction Score

I don't think he's overrated. Most people seem to get that he's a really, really good (but not elite) PG. I haven't heard many people putting him in AA conversations or anything.

Reaction Score
I think its fair to say that Smith is a good player who gets over rated based on metrics. I've watched maybe 8 Purdue games this year he does a good job managing the offense and seems to have a bit of the spencer gene of hitting big shots in crunch time, but his efficiency gets inflated when you have Edey. He gets off ball doubled so often that the passing lanes are wide open. Also assists numbers are pretty easy to get when you can throw it 11 feet in the air let Edey catch it turn and finish.

Reaction Score
I think its fair to say that Smith is a good player who gets over rated based on metrics. I've watched maybe 8 Purdue games this year he does a good job managing the offense and seems to have a bit of the spencer gene of hitting big shots in crunch time, but his efficiency gets inflated when you have Edey. He gets off ball doubled so often that the passing lanes are wide open. Also assists numbers are pretty easy to get when you can throw it 11 feet in the air let Edey catch it turn and finish.
Good points...what would his numbers look like without Edey?

Inyatkin

Stairway to Seven
Reaction Score
I don’t know if he’s less athletic than Cam but he’s a very good PG. Arguably top ten depending on who you list as a PG.

They never liked Newton. Hell they went all last year saying UConn didn’t have a PG.
The most-liked poster in Boneyard history went all last year saying exactly that

Reactions: caw
Reaction Score
Interesting to note how much Newton/Spencer/Karaban all skew toward higher OBPR and lower DBPR in his player rankings. Four of the Top 11 in OBPR.

Reaction Score
Wild that Maya's top 5 man lineup for UConn has Ball, not Castle
If you lower the minimum number of possessions, our starting 5 is our best lineup.
IMG_4360.jpeg

Reaction Score
How could anyone think Braden Smith is overrated? He’s the second best player on Purdue, and everyone is always talking down on him.
He’s very good. Taken a huge leap this year. Fine to be low on the others of the supporting cast, but Smith has been borderline great.

Reaction Score
He’s very good. Taken a huge leap this year. Fine to be low on the others of the supporting cast, but Smith has been borderline great.
As another poster mentioned, his assist numbers are very good, but look at every Purdue highlight reel and you’ll realize half his assists come from throwing the ball within a 5 foot radius of Edey and watching him dunk over a guy 8” shorter than him. Sorry but there are about 30 other point guards I’d take on my team before Smith and Newton is one of them.

Reaction Score
As another poster mentioned, his assist numbers are very good, but look at every Purdue highlight reel and you’ll realize half his assists come from throwing the ball within a 5 foot radius of Edey and watching him dunk over a guy 8” shorter than him. Sorry but there are about 30 other point guards I’d take on my team before Smith and Newton is one of them.
That’s just top tier hating at that point my man

Reaction Score
That’s just top tier hating at that point my man
Is it really? I’ve watched about 15 Purdue games this year. Literally half of their offense comes from lobbing it to the #1 offensive player in the country who isn’t capable of creating offense unless he gets the ball passed to him deep in the paint. I wonder how many of Smith’s assists are lobs to Edey. It’s gotta be like 30-40% of his assists coming from lobbing to their 7’6” monster.

He’s a decent pg, but let’s see if his numbers improve or drop next year when Edey is gone. You want to put up some $$ that says he’ll average the same or more assists next year as he does this year? I’ll hammer the under on that bet. If you watch Purdue you’ll also see that Edey gets double teamed and sometimes triple teamed most of the time he touches the ball. It leads to inflated shooting numbers for the guys around him. He’s a nice player, just has inflated stats because of Edey being on his team.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom