ESPN | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ESPN

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's hardly ESPN's official position, but it's a bizarre article. Houston? Temple? Boise? Who is actually going to add these schools? You know the Big 10 and the SEC aren't touching them, and the Pac-12 would have to be pretty desperate.

Reaction Score
Seriously what the hell is going on, this has all been absurd and gets more and more absurd by the day. Why the duck has Espn been trying to destroy us for so long? I have a lot of friends that went to Big 10 and SEC schools and I can say to a man every single one of them considers UConn athletics to be bigger and better than Syracuse, Pitt, BC, and every other school who has found a home over us. Next espn will be promoting CCSU and Siena over us.

Reaction Score
What blows my mind is how did UConn/Warde/Herbst not publicly trumpet the bulletpoints that some guy on an Ohio State message board wrote about UConn (saw that copy and pasted here last week or so)?

Comments like, 'I think we're a good choice, but I'm biased' just make us look stupid, unmotivated and accepting of defeat. Where is the fire?

Re-posting this because it makes me feel better:

Re: Keep an eye on...UCONN

If we are taking only about football tradition, then yes there are other teams that fit better. If we are talking about which university might be the next addition based on a bigger, strategic picture, then UCONN is a reasonable choice. UCONN was also on B1G's radar two years ago.

- Academics - UCONN ranks higher than some B1G schools and continues to climb. Currently 63 in the US News & World Report rankings, recent reports suggest they will mover closer to being a top 50 national university in the coming years.

- Research - They are expanding investment in research at a fast rate and are building a $1.1B lab at a university facility. An AAU offer will be forthcoming in the next 1-3 years with or without a B1G invite.

- Rivalries - UCONN has natural regional rivalries with Maryland, Rutgers and ties to Penn State. They also have Michigan, Maryland and Virginia on their upcoming football schedules. In mens and women basketball they have history with many schools in the B1G.

- Revenue - Their athletics programs generated over $65M in revenue, which I believe ranks in the top 40 in the country. While not up there with Michigan and Ohio State, they rank higher than some B1G teams. Also, it's important to note that only 20% of that revenue comes from football (only Kansas generates a smaller percentage at 19%). This is more of an opportunity than a liability. Also, their Media rights deal accounts for only $3M-$4M annually, if they had a $17M deal on the books like the ACC, they would probably be in the top 25 in revenue. A B1G offer would grow that revenue substantially in the coming years.

- TV Market - Hartford is the 30th ranked market in the nation and UCONN gets a large chunk of the New York and Boston markets, which puts them on par with many larger markets. The New York Times lists UCONN is the fourth most popular college football team in New York City behind Rutgers, Notre Dame and Penn State. Their recent ratings on SNY cable are off the chart. Having no pro teams in Connecticut contributes to this. Also, there is a significant number of B!G Alumni in the New York/Boston area that would watch their teams compete on TV or at a live event. Lastly, UCONN is gaining traction with Fox's YES network (which has been tied to the B1G's Eastern expansion).

- Culturally - UCONN culture is closer to Wisconsin, Michigan, Rutgers, Maryland and Penn State than GT/FSU/Clemson.

- Football - UCONN doesn't have the tradition that B1G schools have, but in the last ten years they've gone to a 5 bowl games including the Fiesta, won a share of their conference twice, beat Notre Dame, South Carolina and others. A B1G invite would help in recruiting, both in terms of players and coaching. In addition, they are as competitive as some B1G teams including Indiana, Minnesota, Purdue (recently), Illinois, and Northwestern (generally). An Eastern division with Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Notre Dame, Rutgers, Maryland UCONN, and Virginia would be competitive.

- Notre Dame - There's lots of reasons why UCONN was discussed as a package to the ACC with Notre Dame. Delaney realizes this. Notre Dame wants an East Coast presence, playing at UCONN, Rutgers, Maryland & Virginia would help provide that. Playing at Florida State or Georgia Tech, not so much.

- Basketball - UCONN is a national brand in basketball, both Mens and Women, and would elevate B1G basketball. They also have many rivalries with the B1G including Michigan State.

- Olympic Sports - UCONN competes at a high level in numerous sports including soccer (NC), field hockey (NC), baseball, hockey, etc.

- UCONN is a Land-Grant University

- It takes UCONN off the table as an academic/athletic/tv market contingency for the ACC

Reaction Score
When you are basically a monopoly you can say anything you want and not have to worry about other sports enterprises refuting what you say.

I have no doubt there are talking points that are subtley put forward where the talking heads make it their own.

Their own best interest is always on their mind and conference realignment appears to be backfiring on them.

It is looking more and more like it will be the Big 4 with the ACC being the old Big East, which if I'm not mistaken, will be ESPN's only league they have complete control over.

Karma may soon have a new home in Bristol, CT.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I've officially given up hope that we're going anywhere. I will not stop being a fan, but I've decided that I will be rooting for a mid-major program. Herbst and Manual are either completely incompetent, or worse, Herbst has decided to go with the SUNY-type path without significant emphasis on athletics.

How do they not have a PR firm or department propping us up? Even I started believing that we don't deserve to be picked. I was quickly swayed by the facts presented by posters here. There is no B1G silent invitation. They wouldn't let their future product get destroyed. They'd tell us not to mention the offer, but they'd want us to talk about how great we are.

Sorry for the rant. I just don't see any leadership. Regardless of what's going on behind the scenes, you have to defend yourself!

There is a legitimate question to be asked if we hired a President who wants to leave big time sports.

Reaction Score
I refuse to believe Susan Herbst does not know that big time sports has been a driving force behind the growth of the university over the past 15 years.

If so how can we get the entire BoT fired.

Reaction Score
Re-posting this because it makes me feel better:

Re: Keep an eye on...UCONN

If we are taking only about football tradition, then yes there are other teams that fit better. If we are talking about which university might be the next addition based on a bigger, strategic picture, then UCONN is a reasonable choice. UCONN was also on B1G's radar two years ago.

- Academics - UCONN ranks higher than some B1G schools and continues to climb. Currently 63 in the US News & World Report rankings, recent reports suggest they will mover closer to being a top 50 national university in the coming years.

- Research - They are expanding investment in research at a fast rate and are building a $1.1B lab at a university facility. An AAU offer will be forthcoming in the next 1-3 years with or without a B1G invite.

- Rivalries - UCONN has natural regional rivalries with Maryland, Rutgers and ties to Penn State. They also have Michigan, Maryland and Virginia on their upcoming football schedules. In mens and women basketball they have history with many schools in the B1G.

- Revenue - Their athletics programs generated over $65M in revenue, which I believe ranks in the top 40 in the country. While not up there with Michigan and Ohio State, they rank higher than some B1G teams. Also, it's important to note that only 20% of that revenue comes from football (only Kansas generates a smaller percentage at 19%). This is more of an opportunity than a liability. Also, their Media rights deal accounts for only $3M-$4M annually, if they had a $17M deal on the books like the ACC, they would probably be in the top 25 in revenue. A B1G offer would grow that revenue substantially in the coming years.

- TV Market - Hartford is the 30th ranked market in the nation and UCONN gets a large chunk of the New York and Boston markets, which puts them on par with many larger markets. The New York Times lists UCONN is the fourth most popular college football team in New York City behind Rutgers, Notre Dame and Penn State. Their recent ratings on SNY cable are off the chart. Having no pro teams in Connecticut contributes to this. Also, there is a significant number of B!G Alumni in the New York/Boston area that would watch their teams compete on TV or at a live event. Lastly, UCONN is gaining traction with Fox's YES network (which has been tied to the B1G's Eastern expansion).

- Culturally - UCONN culture is closer to Wisconsin, Michigan, Rutgers, Maryland and Penn State than GT/FSU/Clemson.

- Football - UCONN doesn't have the tradition that B1G schools have, but in the last ten years they've gone to a 5 bowl games including the Fiesta, won a share of their conference twice, beat Notre Dame, South Carolina and others. A B1G invite would help in recruiting, both in terms of players and coaching. In addition, they are as competitive as some B1G teams including Indiana, Minnesota, Purdue (recently), Illinois, and Northwestern (generally). An Eastern division with Michigan, Ohio State, Penn State, Notre Dame, Rutgers, Maryland UCONN, and Virginia would be competitive.

- Notre Dame - There's lots of reasons why UCONN was discussed as a package to the ACC with Notre Dame. Delaney realizes this. Notre Dame wants an East Coast presence, playing at UCONN, Rutgers, Maryland & Virginia would help provide that. Playing at Florida State or Georgia Tech, not so much.

- Basketball - UCONN is a national brand in basketball, both Mens and Women, and would elevate B1G basketball. They also have many rivalries with the B1G including Michigan State.

- Olympic Sports - UCONN competes at a high level in numerous sports including soccer (NC), field hockey (NC), baseball, hockey, etc.

- UCONN is a Land-Grant University

- It takes UCONN off the table as an academic/athletic/tv market contingency for the ACC

This needs to be pinned!

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
wow. this couldn't go any better into my theory lol. espn does just enought o keep uconn in the convo but wont pump uconn and has other pumped as to whats best for the acc next. hahahah this is great.

hahahaahahahahhfldhfvd;lshvdpshvp;sdhvp';shv;'fhsvi';hvi;shvishvpihv;ihviim still laughing at this

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I refuse to believe Susan Herbst does not know that big time sports has been a driving force behind the growth of the university over the past 15 years.

If so how can we get the entire BoT fired.

Ok lets see that evidence?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
wow. this couldn't go any better into my theory lol. espn does just enought o keep uconn in the convo but wont pump uconn and has other pumped as to whats best for the acc next. hahahah this is ****ing great.

hahahaahahahahhfldhfvd;lshvdpshvp;sdhvp';shv;'fhsvi';hvi;shvishvpihv;ihviim still laughing at this

No offense but your theories are idiotic.

Let's say the ACC invites UConn. UConn rejects them. Then the ACC invites them again - and UConn rejects them.

Wouldn't the ACC make the invite public knowing the fanbase would revolt if UConn didn't accept. If they wanted UConn that badly they would pull the lever to make acceptance a sure thing.

So other than that....

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
No offense but your theories are idiotic.

Let's say the ACC invites UConn. UConn rejects them. they invite pitt then with cuse, espn quickly after that pumps uconn as nextThen the ACC invites them again - and UConn rejects them. then they quickly pump lville and invite them in a week. then quickly pumps and dumps uconn.

Wouldn't the ACC make the invite public knowing the fanbase would revolt if UConn didn't accept. If they wanted UConn that badly they would pull the lever to make acceptance a sure thing.

So other than that....

do u think the acc and espn want it out there that uconn rejected them? that would look so bad if it happened. ssssoooooo bad. it doesn't matter if uconn goes to the b10 or dies in the nbe either way it looks horrible that the acc/espn got rejected in order for a school to try for something else vs gaining a ok landing spot.

the acc bascially did make the invite public. they named uconn a lock and so on almost minutes after md and rut to the b10. then within a hour or so the uconn pumping stopped. we head lville made a call, cincy is sending power points lmfao and now ttemple and usf blah blah this and that. if u this that was all just by random then your the nut not me. just remember whaler, i'm 10 steps ahead of u!

Reaction Score
Ok lets see that evidence?

I said I refuse to believe...I didn't state it was fact. But if anyone believes that she doesn't think sports is a B1G part of UConn, well there is not much more to say.

Reaction Score
do u think the acc and espn want it out there that uconn rejected them? that would look so bad if it happened. ssssoooooo bad. it doesn't matter if uconn goes to the b10 or dies in the nbe either way it looks horrible that the acc/espn got rejected in order for a school to try for something else vs gaining a ok landing spot.

the acc bascially did make the invite public. they named uconn a lock and so on almost minutes after md and rut to the b10. then within a hour or so the uconn pumping stopped. we head lville made a call, cincy is sending power points lmfao and now ttemple and usf blah blah this and that. if u this that was all just by random then your the nut not me. just remember whaler, i'm 10 steps ahead of u!

Dan, if UConn declined an ACC invite the Pope would know about it because God would have asked him "Is Susan Herbst crazy?"

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
Dan, if UConn declined an ACC invite the Pope would know about it because God would have asked the question to him "Is Susan Herbst crazy?"

while i may or may not be left field and i understand that compared to most here, what i dont get is how ppl here can say they would rather take acc biat now vs try for b10 and then later fall to acc bait if so. if what i'm saying has been right, how would u ever make the acc call with the b10 still looking to add? i don't get it, i really dont. i'll play tulane 5 times next year if that means 2014 i play iowa and michigan.

Reaction Score
Dan if we wait 3-5 years for the B1G offer with a plan to fall back to the ACC if it doesn't come, we could be less than MAC caliber in that time frame and the ACC will not be interested

Dann

#4hunnid
Reaction Score
the sec, b10, b12 and pac all still have to expand. its not close to over. patience will win in the end vs jumping the gun.

Reaction Score
Temple is considered better than us now?!

I knew inviting them was going to be a mistake.

There's needs to be an emergency meeting of the Big East members. We need to kick Temple out again before it's too late.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
or maybe, just maybe:

5. the business-side of ESPN doesnt actually exercise the editorial control over its bloggers that many BY's are convinced they do. Maybe there's no deepthroat at ESPN after all. Perhaps ESPN just promotes an atmosphere where its bloggers are incentivized to merely write their opinions, and ESPN thereafter benefits from the controversy/hate generated by such ridiculous blogs?

just asking....
And maybe there is a tie in between the money makers and bloggers. I did a google search on Michael Carter Williams, the star point guard on Syracuse men's bb team who was caught shoplifting at Lord and Taylors.

CBS has a non investigative story, NBC has a decent article. Nada from ESPN. The kid wasn't arrested so the story is minimal. But the talking heads have made more of less from other schools. So why is Syracuse, a top five team, getting a free pass?

Reaction Score
And maybe there is a tie in between the money makers and bloggers. I did a google search on Michael Carter Williams, the star point guard on Syracuse men's bb team who was caught shoplifting at Lord and Taylors.

CBS has a non investigative story, NBC has a decent article. Nada from ESPN. The kid wasn't arrested so the story is minimal. But the talking heads have made more of less from other schools. So why is Syracuse, a top five team, getting a free pass?
Syracuse lets their players get away with criminal behavior. No exaggeration.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Syracuse lets their players get away with criminal behavior. No exaggeration.
They certainly have a better handle on keeping things quiet than UConn. Heck Hathaway would almost go out of his way to make sure things weren't kept quiet. But explain to me why ESPN has no press on this? I didn't see the Cuse game when he won 900. Was he asked about MWC? Did anything appear on any of the talking head shows? There is nothing in the ESPN articles and it is very newsworthy.

Reaction Score
They certainly have a better handle on keeping things quiet than UConn. Heck Hathaway would almost go out of his way to make sure things weren't kept quiet. But explain to me why ESPN has no press on this? I didn't see the Cuse game when he won 900. Was he asked about MWC? Did anything appear on any of the talking head shows? There is nothing in the ESPN articles and it is very newsworthy.
Protect their investment.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Protect their investment.
Exactly! See the post I was responding too. RMoore1999 contends the article in the op is just blah blah with out tie in to $$ side of ESPN. The op article is just to create controversy to increase views. I agree that media does this. So why not the MCW story? Not to you but to RMoore.

Reaction Score
Herbst instituted the mandatory intersession courses for players, which helps with APR compliance. It also keeps players eligible, but does little toward helping them graduate--which is good for the NCAA's purposes because the GSR and the APR do not emphasize graduation or proceeding toward a degree. if you're taking intersession courses like the one UConn players took last year post-Xmas (i.e. visiting NYC art galleries over a period of one week), you'll quickly eat up your electives, fail to fulfill requirements, and you'll have a hard time advancing. But that doesn't matter when it comes to NCAA compliance.

This tells me she is very serious about D1 sports. Neither the previous President or AD or faculty advisors had ever instituted anything like that.

If she wanted to, she simply might've foregone all these mandatory intersession courses, and used the bad PR from UConn's APR mess, to mandate higher admission standards for student athletes. That would have nipped the APR problem in the bud while at the same time deemphasizing sports at UConn.

But she didn't do that, did she?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc