ESPN: Is the UConn Dynasty Dead or on the Verge of a Resurgence? | The Boneyard

ESPN: Is the UConn Dynasty Dead or on the Verge of a Resurgence?

Reaction Score
These articles are foolish. We were National Runner-ups last year. Terrible. Our dynasty has dimmed? What does that even mean? Total invention of the writer, so they can write something negative about our program.
How many other coaches/teams wish they were "stuck" on 11 National Championships?

Reaction Score
Read the article. Focused more on prior Final4's and why UConn hasn't won one since 2016. Not on the achievement of the hard work and dedication of getting to a Final4. In the end..."you gotta be in it to win it", and UConn has.

AND...there is more young and talented women playing the sport, going to other schools, more parity.

Reaction Score
They have to write about something in the "dead period" between the tournament weekends. ;)

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I need someone to explain to me like I'm 5............ 14 straight final 4s and they're talking about is the dynasty dead? I hate the whole "they haven't won since 2016" line. No ever said it about Stanford until they won. They aren't talking about that Tennessee won since 2008. Yet.........UCONN hasn't won since...

Reaction Score
Maybe ESPN thinks you either win the whole thing or who cares? The 14 final fours in a row is pretty damn impressive to me, and one of many UConn records that will never be broken.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
I guess this the new UConn topic for this year. Poor NCAA, Geno hasn’t done or said anything outrageous to use for its ads to make money on this year

Reaction Score
To misquote Yogi Berra..
”No one makes it to the final four any more. There are too many teams trying to get there and all basketball programs have failed because they can’t get there”!

Reaction Score
I actually thought it was a good, balanced article, and very good reading for fans that don't know a lot about UConn. It describes a great program that hasn't won a championship in a while owing to bad luck and greater parity.

Then why aren't there articles about Tennessee not winning or being in a final 4 since 2008? It's always UCONN and they haven't won since...... For 14 years Geno has out them in the position to or won it all. And there's always articles similar to this one

Reaction Score
Then why aren't there articles about Tennessee not winning or being in a final 4 since 2008? It's always UCONN and they haven't won since...... For 14 years Geno has out them in the position to or won it all. And there's always articles similar to this one
Because Tennessee is a forgotten program. Think about today's recruits. None of them remember Pat Summitt or Tennessee winning a national championship. Kind of an out of sight out of mind kind of deal. They aren't writing these kinds of articles about other successful programs from the past either.

Reaction Score
Because Tennessee is a forgotten program. Think about today's recruits. None of them remember Pat Summitt or Tennessee winning a national championship. Kind of an out of sight out of mind kind of deal. They aren't writing these kinds of articles about other successful programs from the past either.

I disagree. Today's recruits may not have seen Tennessee win or watch Pat Summit coach, but they all know who she is and what she did for this sport!

Reaction Score
Not true. Kids today have more access to history than any teenagers of all time with how archived and referenced things are.

Reaction Score
I guess this the new UConn topic for this year. Poor NCAA, Geno hasn’t done or said anything outrageous to use for its ads to make money on this year

Stunningly poorly written article. How does one declare a dynasty "dead" when it's just made its 29th Sweet Sixteen in a row, and is within sight of its 15th straight Final Four in a row, vastly ahead of any other WCBB program. The writer might have focused solely on championships, but then he would have had to acknowledge that Connecticut is far ahead of any school in America in terms of NC's, especially current coaches.

Just a hot mess than ESPN should remove pretty soon. Embarrassing for ESPN.

Reaction Score
UCONN has had some iconic players along the way that won 3 and 4 titles in a row. I don't know if using terms like dynasties is really that accurate if your only using titles as the metric. If you asked 1000 fans of the Women's game who the best program in the country is most would say UCONN. If you look at the number of non fans that watch the sport most would be watching UCONN. Most importantly if you wrote an article like this one you could only do it on one team and that is also UCONN.

As long as UCONN has Geno and CD at the helm they will be in the discussion. As long as they continue to recruit like they are hungry for success they will be in the discussion. And like Tennessee when they retire the next person will have a very difficult time replacing them. My recommendation would be enjoy them while you still can and I bet they will reward you with another title along the way.

sun

Reaction Score
ABC owns ESPN and ABC is favoring UConn in its national broadcast coverage.
ABC is broadcasting 2 UConn March Madness games while only 1 South Carolina MM game is being broadcast.
I think it's a very good, fair & complimentary article.
They're generating interest in seeing if UConn can make it to the NC game again & win it as an underdog.
I doubt that any UConn fans would dispute that UConn is an underdog team this year.

The Final Four streak remains the standard-bearer for consistent excellence in women's or men's college basketball, something no other program is close to. But dynasties need championships.

Last edited:

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
ABC is broadcasting 2 UConn March Madness games while only 1 South Carolina MM game is being broadcast.
They're generating interest in seeing if UConn can make it to the NC game again & win it as an underdog.
I doubt that any UConn fans would dispute that UConn is an underdog team this year.

The Final Four streak remains the standard-bearer for consistent excellence in women's or men's college basketball, something no other program is close to. But dynasties need championships.
I'm willing to bet that South Carolina will be on ABC this Sunday if they win today. ABC has only shown the games on the weekend because they don't want to mess with their prime time shows, unlike CBS on the men's tournament.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score

Actually I was incorrect on SC being on Sunday because they are playing tomorrow, so it will be someone that's playing today. Don't know who it will be, but I don't think they will get the numbers that UConn should get from tomorrow's game.

sun

Reaction Score
I'm willing to bet that South Carolina will be on ABC this Sunday if they win today. ABC has only shown the games on the weekend because they don't want to mess with their prime time shows, unlike CBS on the men's tournament.
I used this NCAA's TV network schedule when I posted about ABC favoring UConn.
South Carolina's Sweet 16 game against UCLA is listed as being on ESPN.
ABC is listed as broadcasting the UConn/Ohio State Sweet 16 game.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taliekluv32

Top Bottom