ESPN: Is the UConn Dynasty Dead or on the Verge of a Resurgence? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

ESPN: Is the UConn Dynasty Dead or on the Verge of a Resurgence?

Reaction Score
The author seems slightly embarrassed even as she/he writes this article. Somehow, having to acknowledge that UConn is attempting to reach it’s fifteenth consecutive Final Four this season sort of takes the wind out of his sail.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
I used this NCAA's TV network schedule when I posted about ABC favoring UConn.
South Carolina's Sweet 16 game against UCLA is listed as being on ESPN.
ABC is listed as broadcasting the UConn/Ohio State Sweet 16 game.

Actually posted a correction 25+ minutes ago when I realized that SC plays tomorrow and not today.

Reaction Score
It's Voepel, what do you expect. As time has gone by, his negativity on our program has intensified.

What makes me mad: Not a word about how much talent our roster has for the next 2-3 years. We aren't going anywhere.

Reaction Score
+1 on McNutt.

I think her, Peck, and Lyle are all listed as dependents on Dawn's tax return. McNutt is horrendous on many levels. Listen to her broadcast of our game on Fox Sports 1 in 2021 when Paige went off and we beat SC in an empty Gampel. She was MAD that we won the game.....and I've hated her ever since.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Typical ESPN garbage.

They have tabbed Dawn and SC as the new dynasty. Notice there has been no love from ESPN for UConn all season. No love for Aaliyah or Dorka or Nika or Lou or Aubrey.

This includes the men's side. Men with a big win last night. No press on the ESPN Men's page.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
They have been that way since UConn went to the Big East. They were counting on UConn to help on the AAC's new television contract and UConn left before it even went into effect. Now they have all that money going to the AAC and no UConn. I hope UConn ruins their story line on SC repeating the NC and going undefeated this season, that the Huskies are the one's that beats them.

Reaction Score
I actually thought it was a good, balanced article, and very good reading for fans that don't know a lot about UConn. It describes a great program that hasn't won a championship in a while owing to bad luck and greater parity.

Are you by any chance an attorney? Because lawyers get paid to argue for one side of things and if they are clever make it appear balanced. It was a good article if it meant to be about teams that beat UConn. And for that reason I can't see how you found it balanced. The title mentions "resurgence" but Voepel makes no mention of that. Funny, but most of the season ESPN emphasised "14 straight FF's" as the record to go down but now that it's probably more likely than not that a 15th is in the cards FF's are off-topic as ESPN returns to 11 titles.
ESPN writes pieces about a lot of the teams. Right below the UConn article is a nice glowing and optimistic piece about the Gamecocks program highlighting their successes. Not a hint at what could go wrong for them. The UConn article, just like their preseason look at UConn back in November, is nothing but negativity, a list of lost big games. It may be accurate but it is hardly a representive assessment. I'll guarrantee that if UConn and SCar were to meet Voepel will not review the entire record of the series and will focus on Dawn's wins over Geno.
And in a way that's a compliment from ESPN.

The best evidence for UConn's position in the wcbb pecking order is that they are the most disliked as well as the most popular program. In the amended words of Reggie, UConn is the straw that stirs the drink.

Reaction Score
It's Voepel, what do you expect. As time has gone by, his negativity on our program has intensified.

What makes me mad: Not a word about how much talent our roster has for the next 2-3 years. We aren't going anywhere.
Agreed, UConn has to be a massive favorite to win next year, with the condition that most of SC’s senior class declares for the draft which I expect to happen

Reaction Score
Agreed, UConn has to be a massive favorite to win next year, with the condition that most of SC’s senior class declares for the draft which I expect to happen
Not so fast: if Boston comes back next season, South Carolina is probably still going to be the favorite especially if they win it all this year. If UConn wins it, then UConn will be the favorite. I think that's how it's going to play out.

Reaction Score
I used this NCAA's TV network schedule when I posted about ABC favoring UConn.
South Carolina's Sweet 16 game against UCLA is listed as being on ESPN.
ABC is listed as broadcasting the UConn/Ohio State Sweet 16 game.

A lot of that may be that ABC thinks SCar will kill them and the audience will dwindle as the game goes on. They think UConn-tOSU will be a better game for 40 min.

Reaction Score
Not so fast: if Boston comes back next season, South Carolina is probably still going to be the favorite especially if they win it all this year. If UConn wins it, then UConn will be the favorite. I think that's how it's going to play out.
Yeah, that’s why I put the condition of SC’s seniors staying. However all signs point to Boston leaving at this point

Reaction Score
At UConn the standard is win the national championship. For over half a decade it's a complete bust. The fact that the fanbase is okay with Final Four appearances as the high water mark for the program shows how far the team has fallen from it's high point.. At UConn it's championship or nothing and since Stewie left it's nothing. The bigger problem is we keep getting number one ranked players and they are simply not living up to their expected potential. The program has talent, but lacks toughness.
Maybe thats your standard and expectation, but I have never heard Geno state that. Its a goal, not an expectation. Getting to the FF is not easy.

Reaction Score

Boston isn't coming back. She will be the No 1 pick this year. Next year she is 2 at best. SCar has 6 sen/grads leaving. Maybe 2 will make an opening day roster. The team they leave behind will be a pile of question marks. Can Cardoso stay on the court for 30 min without fouling out? Can Johnson recover from her ACL enough to play long minutes? Who will be able to defend with Saxton and Beale gone?

A healthy UConn will dominate wcbb next year. People will seriously ask if they could win against a W team. Bueckers and Fudd are at a pro level already and Edwards will be next year. Get your tickets early.

Reaction Score
This might be one of the worst articles I've seen on ESPN. People were talking in 2016 about the growing parity in the Women's game. I remember reading an article on Slate.com in April of 2016 that predicted that Uconn probably wouldn't win another championship for awhile. They were wrong about Geno retiring.

Reaction Score
Boston isn't coming back. She will be the No 1 pick this year. Next year she is 2 at best. SCar has 6 sen/grads leaving. Maybe 2 will make an opening day roster. The team they leave behind will be a pile of question marks. Can Cardoso stay on the court for 30 min without fouling out? Can Johnson recover from her ACL enough to play long minutes? Who will be able to defend with Saxton and Beale gone?

A healthy UConn will dominate wcbb next year. People will seriously ask if they could win against a W team. Bueckers and Fudd are at a pro level already and Edwards will be next year. Get your tickets early.
I think Fudd can still improve defensively, but agreed on Bueckers and Edwards. I think Aubrey Griffin is a great pro prospect as well

Reaction Score
I remember reading an article on Slate.com in April of 2016 that predicted that Uconn probably wouldn't win another championship for awhile.
The Slate writer knows so little about the program that he thinks that Bird and Cash were the stars of the 2000 championship, rather than Shea Ralph and Svetlana Abrosimova. I guess he didn't see Bueckers and Fudd coming, either.

Reaction Score
Then why aren't there articles about Tennessee not winning or being in a final 4 since 2008? It's always UCONN and they haven't won since...... For 14 years Geno has out them in the position to or won it all. And there's always articles similar to this one
It's not in question whether there is an active Vol dynasty.

Reaction Score
It's not in question whether there is an active Vol dynasty.

I’m not talking about a dynasty. That’s been over. The fact they have all these champions and hasn’t even been to the final 4 since 08, is never talked about

Reaction Score
To even suggest it is like asking “was Pat Summitt one of the greatest coaches in women’s college basketball history”? How about 14 and maybe 15 final fours in a row, that fact doesn’t do anything for you?????

#1florida

Midwest Husky
Reaction Score
14 straight final fours and the dynasty may be dead? I just don't understand. There isn't one other team even close!
What you are seeing is; the bias of ESPN, promoting South Carolina, and the teams that ESPN carries their games. They try to convince everyone that Dawn Staley is on a par with Geno, and she has created a dynasty.

Reaction Score
At UConn the standard is win the national championship. For over half a decade it's a complete bust. The fact that the fanbase is okay with Final Four appearances as the high water mark for the program shows how far the team has fallen from it's high point.. At UConn it's championship or nothing and since Stewie left it's nothing. The bigger problem is we keep getting number one ranked players and they are simply not living up to their expected potential. The program has talent, but lacks toughness.
I agree 1000%. Call it parity or whatever you want, but the days of Geno having a “stockpile” of All-Americans are long past. Remember when we’d have 2 and 3 first-team A-As, back-to-back players of the year, etc.?

Sure, the injuries the past couple years have been incredible, but their talent level and depth now are merely top 10; previously their recruiting classes wold be ranked no worse than third every year.

npignatjr

Npignatjr
Reaction Score
What you are seeing is; the bias of ESPN, promoting South Carolina, and the teams that ESPN carries their games. They try to convince everyone that Dawn Staley is on a par with Geno, and she has created a dynasty.
Correct, the NCAA, broadcasters and officials. ABC ESPN since they broadcast the tournament and pay millions for that have a financial stake in the teams and leagues they have a financial stake in to do good. Follow the money.

Reaction Score
Until UCONN gets HEALTHY players and fills out the bench, it's a toss up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom