End of Year Awards | Page 6 | The Boneyard

End of Year Awards

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Not sure if this was posted. I think it's interesting that some teams have actually posted this, like celebrating as if it was an award.

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
Not sure if this was posted. I think it's interesting that some teams have actually posted this, like celebrating as if it was an award.

I mean, what's the argument against posting it. Generates buzz, clicks, and eyeballs for the programs and their players, plus could at the margins subconsciously influence voters for the actual awards. Anchoring bias is real and if my player was named first team anything, I'd be retweeting too!

Also: it's a testament to Dawn that the team that's the money favorite to win the tourney doesn't have a first-team player and may not even have a second-team one! COY without question.

Reaction Score
I mean, what's the argument against posting it. Generates buzz, clicks, and eyeballs for the programs and their players, plus could at the margins subconsciously influence voters for the actual awards. Anchoring bias is real and if my player was named first team anything, I'd be retweeting too!

Also: it's a testament to Dawn that the team that's the money favorite to win the tourney doesn't have a first-team player and may not even have a second-team one! COY without question.
What Dawn has built is impressive. I thought she would do well at SC but never did I dream she would get the program to this level. They are heavy favorites for sure.

Reaction Score

Yeah I hear you. My diction was a bit off as I wasn't annoyed with the teams or anything. Was just a bit surprised. The Athletic is kinda newish

Reaction Score
We still have a full month until the tournament, but I think some end of year hardware is starting to look clear as the season winds down:

POY: Clark has this on lock.

COY: Staley has this on lock too. Lots of other nice coaching jobs this year but the way SC has absolutely dominated women's basketball in a parity filled year after losing all 5 starters is unprecedented. Reminds me a bit of UCONN in 2016-17 when they had an undefeated regular season after graduating the top 3 picks. Cases could be made for Scott Rueck, Jeff Mittie, Vic Schafer, JR Payne and Wes Moore but I think Dawn is the runaway pick.

FOY: Clear 2 woman race between Watkins and Hidalgo. I'd pick Hidalgo at this point but you really can't go wrong with either. There are SO many good freshmen this year.

DPOY: Brink, another player who probably has this on lock. She leads the nation in blocks per game and will get her deserved hardware this year. Hidalgo is another potential candidate with her 5+ steals per game, but I think Cam gets it.

Conference POY Awards:
Big Ten-Caitlin Clark (lock)
SEC-Angel Reese (lock)
Big East-Paige Bueckers (lock)
Pac 12-This one is more open. I think Brink is the favorite, but I wouldn't count out Beers or Watkins at this point. Pili is great but I don't think she wins it if her team isn't top 2-3 (currently they're 6th).
ACC-Kitley looks like the favorite at this point. Would love to see Hidalgo or Fair bring it home but can't deny Kitley is having another brilliant season.
Big 12-Another one that's open. Rori Harmon and Ayoka Lee would've been the clear favorites but both have dealt with injuries. Right now I think the strongest candidates are freshman Madison Booker and West Virginia's JJ Quinerly
I disagree about your Big East POY. Paige is definitely a strong candidate but the one in my opinion that consistently plays at the top of her game is Aliyah Edwards who if the UConn WBB voted would name her the Big East POY.

Dillon77

WBB Enthusiast; ND Alum, Fan
Reaction Score
Well, we've learned of so many of the conference all-stars and MVPs. I guess the AP Award is (one of) the big ones
for national awards, but The Athletic dropped its first and second teams today

@jdote33

I agree. What are you/we waiting for: The Associated Press award, which is a compilation of press votes?
Or the ESPNw awards, which include just their employees? I've read the Athletic all year and take their news and opinions into account.

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Yeah I hear you. My diction was a bit off as I wasn't annoyed with the teams or anything. Was just a bit surprised. The Athletic is kinda newish
Yeah and nah to being kinda newish. As an overall institution, perhaps, but they recruited and hired top rate journalists who had been at other places. And they must be doing it pretty well: The New York Times bought them and The Athletic is the de facto sports department of the NY Times.

TheFarmFan

Reaction Score
And here's the Athletic's second team:

It's interesting that the Athletic didn't seek positionality in its second team. Given UConn's injuries this season (with Paige playing the 4 much of the time), this roster is arguably two 4s and three 5s!

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I disagree about your Big East POY. Paige is definitely a strong candidate but the one in my opinion that consistently plays at the top of her game is Aliyah Edwards who if the UConn WBB voted would name her the Big East POY.

I agree with the assessment--but conference awards are based on conference play only. Paige's conference numbers are through the roof and she's been consistent going up against Big East teams even if hasn't been against stronger non-conference squads.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
It's interesting that the Athletic didn't seek positionality in its second team. Given UConn's injuries this season (with Paige playing the 4 much of the time), this roster is arguably two 4s and three 5s!

To pile on, you could make a strong case for Edwards/Iriafen/Holmes also being deserving.

Reaction Score
I would have vote for Paige

Dillon77

Reaction Score
Here's the Athletic vote breakdown (30 was tops) in The Athletic.

First Team: CC 30, CB 27, Kitley & Watkins 21, and Hannah 19 votes
Second team: Cardosa 17, Bueckers 16, Pili & Reese 5, and Beers 4.

Clark and Brink were clear-away the top vote getters, while Kitley and Watkins were in the 20's; with HH between that group and Cardosa/Buekers. It then drops quite a bit in terms of votes, so one could wonder if there are a lot of threes or twos for players like Holmes, Edwards, Amoore and Morrow, among others.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Here's the Athletic vote breakdown (30 was tops) in The Athletic.

First Team: CC 30, CB 27, Kitley & Watkins 21, and Hannah 19 votes
Second team: Cardosa 17, Bueckers 16, Pili & Reese 5, and Beers 4.

Clark and Brink were clear-away the top vote getters, while Kitley and Watkins were in the 20's; with HH between that group and Cardosa/Buekers. It then drops quite a bit in terms of votes, so one could wonder if there are a lot of threes or twos for players like Holmes, Edwards, Amoore and Morrow, among others.
Nope. Everyone else altogether got zero votes.

Reaction Score
Still think Lucy Olson should have been Big East POY. The UConn girls shouldn’t mark any AA team list year given how bad we are this year imo.
Who did Villanova defeat in conference again?

Reaction Score
She never had the best season when she played. Siegrest did last year and they didn’t win the Big East.
In the eyes of many, UConn = Big East. If you don't beat them, you didn't have the best season. Siegrist's Villanova had three cracks at a Paige-less UConn and lost all three meetings. She wins the award if they split during the regular season.

Reaction Score
In the eyes of many, UConn = Big East. If you don't beat them, you didn't have the best season. Siegrist's Villanova had three cracks at a Paige-less UConn and lost all three meetings. She wins the award if they split during the regular season.
But Siegrest was big East POY. That’s my point.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak

Top Bottom