East Hartford’s Rentschler Field needs $63 million upgrade, new study says. ‘like walking into a time capsule’ | Page 25 | The Boneyard

East Hartford’s Rentschler Field needs $63 million upgrade, new study says. ‘like walking into a time capsule’

Status
Not open for further replies.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Lets build this stadium...something that will last a 100 years....
Sounds great. But it's Belling the Cat. When FB seat donations go up a bit soon, like they did for hoop, everyone will go ballistic having to kick in more of their own scratch. Yet everyone here (many (most?) of whom admittedly do not go to games or support the program financially) wants the state to pay for a new stadium like they did the last one. Then complain about taxes. I understand it's a echo chamber in here but this project would have zero public buy-in, why do you go on? If you want to be taken seriously you need to make a case besides "football should be played on campus just because".

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
If you are going to build a football stadium in Storrs, you need to put it on campus. That is why I advocate for putting it on the site of EO Smith. Walking distance from the dorms and next to Storrs Center. A number of parking lots close by, but you would need more. And, many tailgates would happen on campus.

Remember, an on campus stadium would probably not be built for 20+ years.
I would welcome that location. I’m not sure if the state could convince the town to abandon that site and build a new school someplace else (yes I realize the state would pay for the new school under its usual state aid program). But yes definitely pursue this option. This location would only allow for a very limited tailgate however and a parking garage would be needed someplace.

That said- I think the Despot campus site could really work well. It would be like bringing the same big time tailgate environment we have at the Rent to a location very close to campus. There are a lot of benefits to the Despot location.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I love how the guys who would like to see a stadium on campus all have their proposed spots. I see pros and cons with all of them.

For me it’s the Separatist Tract.
  • It’s already owned by the University so would require no new land purchases.
  • It is on land that would not require special Mansfield approvals.
  • It is situated on the athletic campus so the stadium parking lots could also be used to provide parking for basketball, baseball, soccer, and hockey.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Sounds great. But it's Belling the Cat. When FB seat donations go up a bit soon, like they did for hoop, everyone will go ballistic having to kick in more of their own scratch. Yet everyone here (many (most?) of whom admittedly do not go to games or support the program financially) wants the state to pay for a new stadium like they did the last one. Then complain about taxes. I understand it's a echo chamber in here but this project would have zero public buy-in, why do you go on? If you want to be taken seriously you need to make a case besides "football should be played on campus just because".
Been around long enough to realize the state routinely makes terrible ROI investments. This is just another.

Here’s a dumb one- the Walk Bridge replacement in Norwalk. Installing a draw bridge for 460M (one article says its now over $700M!) so that a handful of boaters can move a very short way up the little river. A fixed bridge would cost far far less and also be safer for the railroad.

Let’s see the state breakout those I and E numbers for our various nearly empty commuter rail lines (sans MTA from NH to NYC which is always full) or busway.

Most of our economic development endeavors have had poor ROIs. The best ROI has been with University investment...although there isnt a bright line to connect on that front.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Well FfldCtyFan, without mentioning potential bias, as most UConn Alumni that hold East and Hartford so precious, are from Lower Fairfield County, who don't want to travel 2 hours each way. So let's assume that is not you. I beg to ask what makes you think the $64 Million won't become $164 million? I'm a Finance guy, I'm not in Real Estate, but I DO know the cost of concrete has risen 5 fold over the past several years, and is most likely to continue to escalate. Soooooooo, doesn't it make sense to take on this project when it's still "On Sale" rather than trying to patch a used condom in East Hartford, that was built in the wrong location to begin with?
Based on the pictures I saw of rust, dissimilar metal residue, standing water, etc, $164 million might be on the low end, and whose to say the 20 year old rebar hasn’t already decayed into red dust or toxic red puddles. That’s why the original Aloha Stadium has been condemned.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Yep- need to make a right turn here and redraft for joint use. I think the vehicle research and the stadium should have no trouble sharing the site.

Incorporate the two together where the track goes inside the stadium and the stadium stands can serve as a start/finish line and a telemetry center as well.

UConn would have the only CFB football stadium that has cars racing and being tested inside of it. So many commercial opportunities and crossover appeal.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Incorporate the two together where the track goes inside the stadium and the stadium stands can serve as a start/finish line and a telemetry center as well.

UConn would have the only CFB football stadium that has cars racing and being tested inside of it. So many commercial opportunities and crossover appeal.
Just have to make sure some of those tailgaters don't take their cars on the test track.

See? Crossover opportunity #1. Pre-tailgate racing for the fans. Open up 2 hours early and let fans pay to race their cars in to and out of the stadium.

Reaction Score

Battle at Bristol

1666111774938.png

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
The case for the stadium is very simple. If we are a flagship university - top 100 caliber that competes in D1 athletics, then we should have a facility on campus that is on par with our peers. Our peers are all the schools in the P5....and most of the schools in the G5. The vast majority of those schools have an on campus stadium. Most of those schools have found the on campus stadium contributes significantly to the community spirit of the school in a manner that binds alumni over a lifetime. We need that center piece. You want to be UNC or Penn St or Michigan, you need that stadium. Take the long view - step up to be the true flagship of New England.

Only a Governor in good standing can make this happen however. The state is not set up for any other way but for the Gov's office to lead this quest.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
I would welcome that location. I’m not sure if the state could convince the town to abandon that site and build a new school someplace else (yes I realize the state would pay for the new school under its usual state aid program). But yes definitely pursue this option. This location would only allow for a very limited tailgate however and a parking garage would be needed someplace.

That said- I think the Despot campus site could really work well. It would be like bringing the same big time tailgate environment we have at the Rent to a location very close to campus. There are a lot of benefits to the Despot location.
He said Despot!!!

Reaction Score
I know almost with certainty UCONN will not build a stadium on campus. There is zero reason it shouldn't, but it won't. Colleges across the country of all shapes, sizes, locations, types, endowments, enrollments, they have found a way. UCONN will be forced to go the cheapest short-term route which is to renovate. I can't remember if there was a Big East minimum capacity requirement when we built The Rent but it is stuck with it. They should have built a new stadium where Memorial Stadium stood and it would have been a fine centerpiece for the athletics campus.

Buffalo built its 15,000 seat stadium for $23 mill and expanded it to 29,000 when it moved up to 1-A. It is now at 25,000.
" In October 2017, demolition work commenced on the northern endzones of the stadium in preparation for the program's new 92,000-square-foot (8,500 m2), $18 million field house."

You can make use of an on-campus stadium for many other purposes. Incorporate offices and training facilities into it. Concerts and rallies and ceremonies. When it's off campus, and especially in no man's land in East Hartford, there is no reason to make it anything more than a bunch of bleachers. It's just a stand-alone structure and really an inefficient use of resources. It would only make sense if it were in Hartford and shared with another pro team.

Reaction Score
The open concourse is a great feature of the Rent. I've spent full quarters watching the game up there. Some of these legendary stadiums have their issues.
With all due respect, no one should be spending “full quarters watching the game from the concourse”. Thats what stadium seats are for. A traditional stadium with seating access via portals helps to create a fuller stadium experience, both for the fans who are there and the TV viewers, who draw conclusions about a program from how well attended it is.
I prefer we build a new stadium based on a traditional look. They can be built less expensively and (who knew) can even have better (faster) elevators, more bathrooms, and easier access to (hopefully) better concessions, etc.
Let the NFL build the open concourse style of stadium you prefer. The college experience is better suited to a more traditional style venue. UConn should commit to making it happen and galvanize the resources to get it done.
And speaking of resources, as of 2020, Connecticut had the third highest rate of millionaires in the United States, behind Maryland and New Jersey. As for billionaires, Connecticut ranks fifth-highest in the country. I would think several are Husky football fans and would like to be wooed to join in the fundraising effort for an on campus stadium. Don't ever underestimate the ego (call it the pride) of having something at the stadium named for you. At Texas, they play on Attorney Joe Jamail Field at Darryl Royal Stadium. The west side of the stadium is named in honor of Theo Belmont. The right side for someone else. Meeting rooms have plaques with the names of donors. The Memorial Scoreboard and Jumbotron are named for UT hero Freddie Steinmark, funded by grateful donors.
Shenkman, Burton, Gampel, Werth, Sherman, Elliot, Freitas, and now Bailey are just some of the more recent incredibly generous benefactors of UConn's athletic venues. I'm sure there are lots more out there. And at the end of the day, there's something about football--and the opportunity to help fund the new on-campus football stadium that can get the juices and the money flowing.

It's not all about having the State fund it from tax revenues. It requires a public private partnership, and the enthusiastic commitment from political and University leadership to make it happen. So, now the question is more pragmatic. Who ya gonna call?

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
With all due respect, no one should be spending “full quarters watching the game from the concourse”. Thats what stadium seats are for. A traditional stadium with seating access via portals helps to create a fuller stadium experience, both for the fans who are there and the TV viewers, who draw conclusions about a program from how well attended it is.
I prefer we build a new stadium based on a traditional look. They can be built less expensively and (who knew) can even have better (faster) elevators, more bathrooms, and easier access to (hopefully) better concessions, etc.
Let the NFL build the open concourse style of stadium you prefer. The college experience is better suited to a more traditional style venue. UConn should commit to making it happen and galvanize the resources to get it done.
And speaking of resources, as of 2020, Connecticut had the third highest rate of millionaires in the United States, behind Maryland and New Jersey. As for billionaires, Connecticut ranks fifth-highest in the country. I would think several are Husky football fans and would like to be wooed to join in the fundraising effort for an on campus stadium. Don't ever underestimate the ego (call it the pride) of having something at the stadium named for you. At Texas, they play on Attorney Joe Jamail Field at Darryl Royal Stadium. The west side of the stadium is named in honor of Theo Belmont. The right side for someone else. Meeting rooms have plaques with the names of donors. The Memorial Scoreboard and Jumbotron are named for UT hero Freddie Steinmark, funded by grateful donors.
Shenkman, Burton, Gampel, Werth, Sherman, Elliot, Freitas, and now Bailey are just some of the more recent incredibly generous benefactors of UConn's athletic venues. I'm sure there are lots more out there. And at the end of the day, there's something about football--and the opportunity to help fund the new on-campus football stadium that can get the juices and the money flowing.

It's not all about having the State fund it from tax revenues. It requires a public private partnership, and the enthusiastic commitment from political and University leadership to make it happen. So, now the question is more pragmatic. Who ya gonna call?

Not a fan of the no standing on open concourse police.

At almost any venue, if there is an area to stand I'll stand most of the event. Just feels better and more natural than being confined to a seat.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
Been around long enough to realize the state routinely makes terrible ROI investments. This is just another.

Here’s a dumb one- the Walk Bridge replacement in Norwalk. Installing a draw bridge for 460M (one article says its now over $700M!) so that a handful of boaters can move a very short way up the little river. A fixed bridge would cost far far less and also be safer for the railroad.

Let’s see the state breakout those I and E numbers for our various nearly empty commuter rail lines (sans MTA from NH to NYC which is always full) or busway.

Most of our economic development endeavors have had poor ROIs. The best ROI has been with University investment...although there isnt a bright line to connect on that front.
More echo chamber nonsense.

The Walk Bridge needs to be moveable due to the USCG declaring the Norwalk River "navigable." There is no discretion by the state or city, aside from appealing that ruling, which was already done. They could wait another 3-5 years, to get the river permanently changed, but the bridge honestly may not hold out that long, and a service disruption on the NE corridor (not to mention local commuting) would be massive,

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

The Walk Bridge needs to be moveable due to the USCG declaring the Norwalk River "navigable." There is no discretion by the state or city, aside from appealing that ruling, which was already done. They could wait another 3-5 years, to get the river permanently changed, but the bridge honestly may not hold out that long, and a service disruption on the NE corridor (not to mention local commuting) would be massive,
I’m familiar with the situation. The state could have pushed the feds to change the status faster. The draw bridge is an absurd waste considering how few tall boats need to access and how the fact there is only about a mile of navigable river above the bridge.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

I also think the Hartford line and the fastbreak busways are terrific.

People hate infrastructure they won’t use.

This states thinks public transportation has to be profitable or break even. Like, our roads are essentially free and make no money. But they allow commerce and free movement. The train and busways do the same.

CT is a great state, but areas are isolated. The fastrak for people who take it in new Britain and Waterbury to Hartford love it. It connects Waterbury, new Britain and Hartford.

It is a bit too long to take fastrak if you don’t live near downtown NB or a station or pickup. They are working to fix that.

CT Rail is awesome. Taken from Berlin to New Haven multiple times. There is just some issues with getting out of union station to work in New Haven (used to work at long wharf), which makes you just drive.

They are working on that. Eventually, the businesses and the housing develop around the transportation. It is created to meet future needs.

State is almost there. We have Springfield to New Haven rail line that is good. A new stop going in for Bradley. There is also shuttles from union in new haven to Tweed and other places.

Fastrak from New Britain ti Hartford is a success. Just because you see an empty bus doesn’t mean anything. They run busses at off times because you need to build in capacity and I sure people can get home .

If they can expand fastrak to storrs on dedicated route that is a game changer. I would totally support a busway from Storrs to Hartford with stops in Coventry, Bolton Manchester and East Hartford.

That would I really connect the state.

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I’m familiar with the situation. The state could have pushed the feds to change the status faster. The draw bridge is an absurd waste considering how few tall boats need to access and how the fact there is only about a mile of navigable river above the bridge.

I don't disagree with you, but the backdrop to this is that you have a Victorian-era bridge which, despite that small amount of traffic, fails with regularity. Any delay is a big gamble. A failure here would be economically disastrous.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score

This states thinks public transportation has to be profitable or break even. Like, our roads are essentially free and make no money. But they allow commerce and free movement. The train and busways do the same.

CT is a great state, but areas are isolated. The fastrak for people who take it in new Britain and Waterbury to Hartford love it. It connects Waterbury, new Britain and Hartford.

It is a bit too long to take fastrak if you don’t live near downtown NB or a station or pickup. They are working to fix that.

CT Rail is awesome. Taken from Berlin to New Haven multiple times. There is just some issues with getting out of union station to work in New Haven (used to work at long wharf), which makes you just drive.

They are working on that. Eventually, the businesses and the housing develop around the transportation. It is created to meet future needs.

State is almost there. We have Springfield to New Haven rail line that is good. A new stop going in for Bradley. There is also shuttles from union in new haven to Tweed and other places.

Fastrak from New Britain ti Hartford is a success. Just because you see an empty bus doesn’t mean anything. They run busses at off times because you need to build in capacity and I sure people can get home .

If they can expand fastrak to storrs on dedicated route that is a game changer. I would totally support a busway from Storrs to Hartford with stops in Coventry, Bolton Manchester and East Hartford.

In short most of these projects have had terrible ROI. Look around- this state isn’t booming as a result of these projects. You measure success in the growth of income (productively) or population and those areas served by these projects have not experienced anything of substance as a result on those fronts.

The stadium has a fuzzy ROI…. But if you have the vision to make this a B1G U- a continued national economic engine- the stadium is a must.

UConn is poised to take advantage of continued consolidation in higher ED. It has a chance to become a real star in New England.

Reaction Score
I think the "maintain the Rent for the next 10 years and see where the football program is" plan makes sense.

There is simply no rationale for building an on-campus stadium right now given the uncertain future of the program. I don't think a new stadium automatically gets us into the ACC right now (or anywhere else).

Keep trying to build up the program, if fans start coming back and it looks like Independence is working out and there's a possible future landing spot, great, let's start fundraising for an on-campus stadium.

But without some drastic change in the fate of the current football program, "maintain and carry on" seems really the only answer.

Reaction Score

Good points. That said, our roads are hardly free, right? It's just some roads are much more expensive than others. I don't know enough about Fasttrack to know if it is a success but it does seem like a lot of infrastructure for the amount of use.

Reaction Score
I love how the guys who would like to see a stadium on campus all have their proposed spots. I see pros and cons with all of them.

For me it’s the Separatist Tract.
  • It’s already owned by the University so would require no new land purchases.
  • It is on land that would not require special Mansfield approvals.
  • It is situated on the athletic campus so the stadium parking lots could also be used to provide parking for basketball, baseball, soccer, and hockey.
Oh wow.. that location is basically on the other side of EO Smith HS.... kinda on the outskirts of campus, but yet, on campus... Nice location...

Reaction Score
I know almost with certainty UCONN will not build a stadium on campus. There is zero reason it shouldn't, but it won't. Colleges across the country of all shapes, sizes, locations, types, endowments, enrollments, they have found a way. UCONN will be forced to go the cheapest short-term route which is to renovate. I can't remember if there was a Big East minimum capacity requirement when we built The Rent but it is stuck with it. They should have built a new stadium where Memorial Stadium stood and it would have been a fine centerpiece for the athletics campus.

Buffalo built its 15,000 seat stadium for $23 mill and expanded it to 29,000 when it moved up to 1-A. It is now at 25,000.
" In October 2017, demolition work commenced on the northern endzones of the stadium in preparation for the program's new 92,000-square-foot (8,500 m2), $18 million field house."

You can make use of an on-campus stadium for many other purposes. Incorporate offices and training facilities into it. Concerts and rallies and ceremonies. When it's off campus, and especially in no man's land in East Hartford, there is no reason to make it anything more than a bunch of bleachers. It's just a stand-alone structure and really an inefficient use of resources. It would only make sense if it were in Hartford and shared with another pro team.
Sad stuff if true that we're not considering a campus stadium at this point... Seems like we're finally on track to get it right ... all the old, conservative Admin views have been jettisoned... It just makes too much sense to have/give the campus a true total experience, which would include a stadium that gives the entire campus population a chance to go to within walking distance, or via the shuttle buses (due to weather conditions) as well as alumns, locals.. give it a Syracuse type experience if you will ( in a domed stadium that has a similar Gampel feel from the outside view ).. It would be a great opportunity to make the UConn experience even more desirable/in demand...

Reaction Score

Nice write up, thanks. Let me rant a little bit about the Danbury line (first built in 1857) which went north up through Brookfield, New Milford, Kent, Cornwall and on up through Canaan CT and up to Pittsfield Mass, it used to be one of the most beautiful train rides in the state but was shut down for passenger service in the early 1970’s. There is a proposal in the state legislature to reopen it. I hope it happens.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Sad stuff if true that we're not considering a campus stadium at this point... Seems like we're finally on track to get it right ... all the old, conservative Admin views have been jettisoned... It just makes too much sense to have/give the campus a true total experience, which would include a stadium that gives the entire campus population a chance to go to within walking distance, or via the shuttle buses (due to weather conditions) as well as alumns, locals.. give it a Syracuse type experience if you will ( in a domed stadium that has a similar Gampel feel from the outside view ).. It would be a great opportunity to make the UConn experience even more desirable/in demand...
Wait, if we’re going to make it a Syracuse like experience, does that mean we have to play Canadian rules football?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom