East Hartford’s Rentschler Field needs $63 million upgrade, new study says. ‘like walking into a time capsule’ | Page 24 | The Boneyard

East Hartford’s Rentschler Field needs $63 million upgrade, new study says. ‘like walking into a time capsule’

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You can say it's mutually beneficial but it isn't equally (or near equal) beneficial. State gets much more out of UConn playing at XL than UConn gets out of playing at XL.

Wrong - the relationship is more beneficial to UConn that you are giving it credit.

Don't you think that that UConn splitting its home basketball schedule between Storrs and Hartford for many years, including putting many Nationally-important TV games at the Civic Center and winning over the State fanbase, laid the necessary political and taxpayer goodwill for the General Assembly to approve UConn's upgrade to FBS and the construction of a stadium in East Hartford?

You can suggest that UConn can move out of Hartford because of the condition of the Civic Center - but they can't. The university isn't dumb enough to bite the hand that feeds them.

Reaction Score
Not sure what you point is. Aloha Stadium was built in 1975, has hosted NFL Pro Bowls is an economic engine for the State, and served as the home of Hawaii football for nearly 50 years with limited investment. Only now is the State proposing in a huge mixed-use entertainment district in the same site in an logical attempt to lure back the NFL and further enhance tourism.

How does any of that apply to some ideas floated here to build a new college football stadium in rural Storrs?
The old Aloha stadium to which you refer is being completely demolished and a new one is being built in its place. It applies because the old stadium because of age is in such a need of extensive repairs that parts of it can’t even be used anymore, basically the same issues as the Rent. Instead of applying a short term band-aid fix the state has decided to demolish it and build a new stadium on the site. They’re not trying to lure anyone, the steel used to build it is in terrible condition. They’re doing it the right way.

Reaction Score
The old Aloha stadium to which you refer is being completely demolished and a new one is being built in its place. It applies because the old stadium because of age is in such a need of extensive repairs that parts of it can’t even be used anymore, basically the same issues as the Rent. Instead of applying a short term band-aid fix the state has decided to demolish it and build a new stadium on the site. They’re not trying to lure anyone, the steel used to build it is in terrible condition. They’re doing it the right way.

So you are comparing a 50-year old stadium that served adequately as the home for an FBS team and the NFL Pro Bowl to the current situation in East Hartford? :rolleyes:

How about you revisit this issue in another 30 years, when the Rent is as old as Aloha is today. The State of Connecticut/UConn is not going to abandon and/or demolish a 20-year old fully functioning football stadium and then rebuild a more expensive stadium on the same site or in Storrs - is that really what you and others are actually proposing?

Reaction Score
Well, I Don't know what CONN78SEJ is proposing, but I'm Proposing, as Coach Calhoun would say "Not a Dime Back", as in Not 1 more dime invested at The Mistake by the Landing Strip. Play in it as is until it can't be played in anymore, meanwhile start planning for an On Campus stadium, while we have State and University leadership that are behind UConn Athletics.

Reaction Score
So you are comparing a 50-year old stadium that served adequately as the home for an FBS team and the NFL Pro Bowl to the current situation in East Hartford? :rolleyes:

How about you revisit this issue in another 30 years, when the Rent is as old as Aloha is today. The State of Connecticut/UConn is not going to abandon and/or demolish a 20-year old fully functioning football stadium and then rebuild a more expensive stadium on the same site or in Storrs - is that really what you and others are actually proposing?
Served adequately??? What planet are you from again?

2005 study by Honolulu engineering firm Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc. determined that the stadium required $99 million to be completely restored and an additional $115 million for ongoing maintenance and refurbishment over the next 20 years to extend its useful life.[23] In early 2007, the state legislature proposed to spend $300 million to build a new facility as opposed to spending approximately $216 million to extend the life of Aloha Stadium for another 20–30 years.”

“In 2008, the state of Hawaii approved the bill of $185 million to refurbish the aging Aloha Stadium.[26] In 2010, Aloha Stadium completely retrofitted its scoreboard and video screen to be more up to date with its high definition capability.”

The scoreboard and video screen improvements made in 2010 are already obsolete. Stop gap measures burn money to no end whether it’s Aloha Stadium or The Rent.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Well, I Don't know what CONN78SEJ is proposing, but I'm Proposing, as Coach Calhoun would say "Not a Dime Back", as in Not 1 more dime invested at The Mistake by the Landing Strip. Play in it as is until it can't be played in anymore, meanwhile start planning for an On Campus stadium, while we have State and University leadership that are behind UConn Athletics.
Sounds crazy, but it just might work. And if it doesn't, they can always play at Dillion Stadium Trinity Health Field.

Reaction Score

I thought of running a line of "Big Jim" T-shirts in blue and white until I decided as a grad student it wasn't worth being sued.

Reaction Score
Everything about UConn is ultimately a State problem. UConn didn't pay a dime for construction of the Rent - it was State funded and is State owned. This isn't Texas, where the university has enough non-public funds to make their own decisions.

UConn Basketball is a marquee program that can win National Championships. For better or worse, basketball also needs a facility in Hartford. Our State politics require that UConn play some games in our Capitol City for the benefit of corporate interests and taxpayers. It has been this was since the 1970s and it isn't changing anytime soon. Sure, UConn athletics can choose to abandon Hartford for lack of an acceptable facility, but expect State legislators and a large portion of UConn boosters/alumni/fans to revolt. So yes, this is a State/City problem which they want to spend $$$ and build a new facility, but numerous budgetary and other challenges remain. As I said, this is priority #1 for the State.

My point was that the State has limited taxpayer funds o address the XL problem before they can even think about appropriating a dime to build a new football stadium in Storrs - especially when they have an existing State-funded stadium in East Hartford that can simply be "maintained and upgraded" at a far lesser amount. UConn football doesn't have the same potential or interest as basketball, regardless of what a few fans on this board post. The State and the university has to prioritize its limited resources and a new stadium in Storrs is not going to make the list right now. If the football program can't make do at the Rent, it will cease to exist at some point in the future - it is that simple.

Even ice hockey and baseball now have to have some presence in Hartford to keep the politicos and others happy. This is the burden that UConn faces and what helps keep the spigot of $$$ flowing from the legislature. Abandoning East Hartford simply won't happen despite anyone's suggestions on this board that it "makes sense" - simply because it doesn't. Any stadium plans for Storrs are really proposing to make CT taxpayers pay a huge expense for just a few weekends for a handful of fanatical football fans here.

A new football stadium in Storrs is a wild dream and fantasy of some here because it simply doesn't have the political or budget support required by the legislature and appropriators in Hartford to get any type of "plans" on paper.

100% spot on.

Reaction Score
Sounds crazy, but it just might work. And if it doesn't, they can always play at Dillion Stadium Trinity Health Field.
Or Kennedy Stadium in Bridgeport until the Common Sense on campus facility is done, but ANYWHERE other than the Mistake by the Landing Strip.

Reaction Score
True. But overall support for those programs would take a big hit. It's not just a charity case, it's a mutually beneficial relationship.
If basketball took that big of hit because they didn’t play in Hartford than this program doesn’t have many real fans.

Reaction Score
Additionally, The XL is a dump. Parking is ridiculously priced. and quite frankly....Anyone that Can't Drive to Storrs or face the traffic.... Television is your option.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
I remember a number of years back observing a question turning into an argument as the one asking the question did not like the answer. A bookkeeper whose knowlege of electrical wiring started and ended where the plug connected to the outlet believed she knew more than a licensed electrician with more than 20 years experience. I will say that I did admire his restraint.

To the boneyarder who claimed I must be stupid: I've been a professional for forty years and have specialized in commercial real estate and construction finance for for the past 21 & 1/2 years. I must have been able to fool quite a few people to get to the position I hold.

One major part of my job is to bring reality into proposals that claim something can be done for whatever cost. Those pitching the projects are often throwing out cost scenarios that they know cannot be met as their goal is to get approval. If the job comes in over budget, well oops. I on the other hand would have my head on the chopping block if when the final cost numbers come in.

As far as the SD St stadium, I did a bit of digging and found a few things:
1 - The initial proposal was $250 million. While $64 million may not appear to be a lot in the scheme oif things, a 24% increase in cost from initial proposal (which likely matched the budget) is quite significant.
2 - That stadium was built with structural Steel (basically a high end tin can), the Rent was entirely concrete. If necessary I will address the considerable advantages of the latter but I will state that the cost of a tin can vs a concrete slab is considerable (I ask anyone to guess why someone would use the more expensive alternative).
3 - The job was contracted in 2019 and construction began in 2020. I would like to see what costs of material are today vs then.

As far as the new Aloha Stadium: The $350 million is the current proposal (which has been approved as a total budget number) but there are already articles stating that more money will be needed to complete the venue. This is not surprising as few major construction projects come in on budget, the key is keeping the over budget amounts at manageable levels. Additionally, this is stated to be a structural steel building.

I'm done here.

Reaction Score
Well FfldCtyFan, without mentioning potential bias, as most UConn Alumni that hold East and Hartford so precious, are from Lower Fairfield County, who don't want to travel 2 hours each way. So let's assume that is not you. I beg to ask what makes you think the $64 Million won't become $164 million? I'm a Finance guy, I'm not in Real Estate, but I DO know the cost of concrete has risen 5 fold over the past several years, and is most likely to continue to escalate. Soooooooo, doesn't it make sense to take on this project when it's still "On Sale" rather than trying to patch a used condom in East Hartford, that was built in the wrong location to begin with?

Reaction Score
I remember a number of years back observing a question turning into an argument as the one asking the question did not like the answer. A bookkeeper whose knowlege of electrical wiring started and ended where the plug connected to the outlet believed she knew more than a licensed electrician with more than 20 years experience. I will say that I did admire his restraint.

To the boneyarder who claimed I must be stupid: I've been a professional for forty years and have specialized in commercial real estate and construction finance for for the past 21 & 1/2 years. I must have been able to fool quite a few people to get to the position I hold.

One major part of my job is to bring reality into proposals that claim something can be done for whatever cost. Those pitching the projects are often throwing out cost scenarios that they know cannot be met as their goal is to get approval. If the job comes in over budget, well oops. I on the other hand would have my head on the chopping block if when the final cost numbers come in.

1 - The initial proposal was $250 million. While $64 million may not appear to be a lot in the scheme oif things, a 24% increase in cost from initial proposal (which likely matched the budget) is quite significant.
2 - That stadium was built with structural Steel (basically a high end tin can), the Rent was entirely concrete. If necessary I will address the considerable advantages of the latter but I will state that the cost of a tin can vs a concrete slab is considerable (I ask anyone to guess why someone would use the more expensive alternative).
3 - The job was contracted in 2019 and construction began in 2020. I would like to see what costs of material are today vs then.

As far as the new Aloha Stadium: The $350 million is the current proposal (which has been approved as a total budget number) but there are already articles stating that more money will be needed to complete the venue. This is not surprising as few major construction projects come in on budget, the key is keeping the over budget amounts at manageable levels. Additionally, this is stated to be a structural steel building.

I'm done here.

I understand proposals are developed to sway a decision in their favor but why are the people reviewing them not doing more to understand the actual costs? If this is a common practice you would think the ones reviewing the proposals would question all costs and conduct more due dilligence prior to making a decision. I understand you can’t fully estimate a construction project until
Shovels are in the ground and materials are being purchased, but 25%+ costs increases time and time again seems to me that everyone is lowballing with the hopes of getting selected. Does the government (local, state) have any authority to hold a firm to a specific cost or % of overruns? Anything else would be on the firm completing the project?

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Well FfldCtyFan, without mentioning potential bias, as most UConn Alumni that hold East and Hartford so precious, are from Lower Fairfield County, who don't want to travel 2 hours each way. So let's assume that is not you. I beg to ask what makes you think the $64 Million won't become $164 million? I'm a Finance guy, I'm not in Real Estate, but I DO know the cost of concrete has risen 5 fold over the past several years, and is most likely to continue to escalate. Soooooooo, doesn't it make sense to take on this project when it's still "On Sale" rather than trying to patch a used condom in East Hartford, that was built in the wrong location to begin with?
This thread really has me missing Pudge as very early on he would have chimed in on the opportunity lost a couple years back when bonding could have been issued at 3, 4 or more points lower than today. Don't think for a second that this won't play a major role in decision making of any government run project anywhere in the country.

Yes, I do live in lower Fairfield county. No I do not prefer the stadium being off campus, I am just being realistic about what the prospects are.

Additionally, I will repeat something I posted earlier in this thread: I have traveled a number of times from central New Hampshire to the Rent (Storrs would have been slightly more convenient). Getting to games will not be an issue with me or boneyarders who sit near me (BL, Nostical, Money) but we aren't the fans that the program needs to worry about. We've supported the program through far too many far too dark years. We will continue. It's those who began finding reasons to stop supporting the program six, five, four years ago that we need to address.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
We have a gubernatorial election going on. I'm stunned such a great idea has yet to be brought up during the campaign. Actually. I'm not. Because anyone who said they want to spend $300M (400, 500?) to build UConn a FB stadium would get crushed.
Fully agree. Of course anyone who said that they wanted to spend $300 million ($400M, $500) to refurbish Rentschler field would also “be crushed.”

:rolleyes:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
So who is on Lamont’s “Storrs Stadium 2028” committee? I like the idea of a three person team- two from the Boneyard and one at large!

Step Zero- develop a gameday traffic plan for a 35 to 45k person event. Have something detailed and ready for multiple potential locations around the campus.

Step One A- acquire more land around the school. Whether we build on the current campus or immediately adjacent- the school could use a few more acres to protect its future.

Step One B- issue a schematic of a 38-40k (expandable to 50k) stadium and launch the capital campaign. One of the problems with the Rent is the fact that it cannot benefit from university donors/boosters. UConn is poised for significant donor growth in the coming decades as it rides its academic improvement. An on campus stadium can harness donations- an off campus third party controlled stadiums get treated like the rentals they are- neglected.

Step Two - pick a site and get it shovel ready. A smartly designed structure could offer other uses beyond sports- graduation/other events (but other events that are inherently small in attendance). The right location might allow for the added parking to also serve the regular campus life.

Bottom line- Must get it started by the end of the next Governorship.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Some will hate it- but I like the 240 acre Depot Campus as the site of the future UConn Stadium.

Pros:
-already owned by the state!!!!
-currently under utilized!!! And lacking purpose!!!!
-already partially developed- replacing the existing buildings with a stadium would merely be a swapping of uses and minimize new greenfield development
-gameday traffic would not necessarily be as impactful to on campus traffic. Site is accessible from all four cardinal directions
-one of the few spaces that could allow for extension greenfield parking/tailgate as preferred by the fan base. No need for a parking garage or other high density parking investment. Looking at the main campus- seems most sites would require a large parking garage to absorb game day needs.
-location can be connected to the main campus with bike path through the woods. A walkable connection is key. This would require some land/right of ways to be acquired.
-possibly design the stadium with a large flag pole/needle spire object to help site the stadium from a distance
-this location does not impede on the main campuses limited agg program lands or the discovery road innovation plans.

Cons:
-slightly off site; but only two miles away which is walkable and cool be a very cool walk with a high quality walking path.

Reaction Score

I'm done here.

What would be the life expectancy of "The Bounce House" at UCF? They are talking about projects to improve it but it seems they should start from scratch since they are joining the Big 12 and that place was fairly cheap to build in the first place.

Construction
Broke groundMarch 22, 2006; 16 years ago[8][9]
OpenedSeptember 15, 2007; 15 years ago[11]
Renovated2014–15, 2017
Construction cost$55 million[7]
($73.9 million in 2021 dollars[10])
Architect360 Architecture[3]
General contractorWharton-Smith[3

Reaction Score
Some will hate it- but I like the 240 acre Depot Campus as the site of the future UConn Stadium.

Pros:
-already partially developed- replacing the existing buildings with a stadium would merely be a swapping of uses and minimize new greenfield development
-gameday traffic would not necessarily be as impactful to on campus traffic. Site is accessible from all four cardinal directions
-one of the few spaces that could allow for extension greenfield parking/tailgate as preferred by the fan base. No need for a parking garage or other high density parking investment. Looking at the main campus- seems most sites would require a large parking garage to absorb game day needs.
-location can be connected to the main campus with bike path through the woods. A walkable connection is key. This would require some land/right of ways to be acquired.
-possibly design the stadium with a large flag pole/needle spire object to help site the stadium from a distance
-this location does not impede on the main campuses limited agg program lands or the discovery road innovation plans.

Cons:
-slightly off site; but only two miles away which is walkable and cool be a very cool walk with a high quality walking path.

Couple of challenges to work around there:

-> In late June, Jackson and Cortese moved one step closer to making their vision a reality when the UConn Board of Trustees approved an option for Promesa to purchase 105 acres of UConn’s Depot Campus for $5 million for the company to construct its $30 million-$40 million Connected and Autonomous Vehicle test track and research facility. <-

Depot Campus was also thrown out as an spitballing option in this UConnBlog article from back in September:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Couple of challenges to work around there:

-> In late June, Jackson and Cortese moved one step closer to making their vision a reality when the UConn Board of Trustees approved an option for Promesa to purchase 105 acres of UConn’s Depot Campus for $5 million for the company to construct its $30 million-$40 million Connected and Autonomous Vehicle test track and research facility. <-

Depot Campus was also thrown out as an spitballing option in this UConnBlog article from back in September:

Yep- need to make a right turn here and redraft for joint use. I think the vehicle research and the stadium should have no trouble sharing the site.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Yep- need to make a right turn here and redraft for joint use. I think the vehicle research and the stadium should have no trouble sharing the site.
Just have to make sure some of those tailgaters don't take their cars on the test track.

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Just have to make sure some of those tailgaters don't take their cars on the test track.
I thought the game day pedestrians are the test track!

Lets build this stadium...something that will last a 100 years.... something that the University owns and manages and therefore can fund raise around. When you name goes on a brick at the Despot Campus stadium it will be there forever....rather than just the life of the fuzzy CRDA lease term.

Reaction Score

Pros:

Cons:
If you are going to build a football stadium in Storrs, you need to put it on campus. That is why I advocate for putting it on the site of EO Smith. Walking distance from the dorms and next to Storrs Center. A number of parking lots close by, but you would need more. And, many tailgates would happen on campus.

Remember, an on campus stadium would probably not be built for 20+ years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom