Early January All-American Considerations | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Early January All-American Considerations

Reaction Score
His starting included three former #1 overall recruits, a former top 5 senior in Nelson-Ododa, and Aaliyah Edwards. Wasn't exactly an oddity with that much talent stacked.
I agree, sort of: that team was loaded with highly rated talent. But AA voting is a more current rating than what kids did in high school. Don't get me wrong -- I loved that team, with all its flaws and how wracked with injuries it was that season. The Huskies have been such a strange mix of great blessings and curses the last few years. They were a #2 seed in the tournament, which means they were not favored to win by the so-called experts. Yet they prevailed against two #1 seeds in a row after having been widely dismissed. Heck, they were widely expected to lose to Indiana.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
I agree, sort of: that team was loaded with highly rated talent. But AA voting is a more current rating than what kids did in high school. Don't get me wrong -- I loved that team, with all its flaws and how wracked with injuries it was that season. The Huskies have been such a strange mix of great blessings and curses the last few years. They were a #2 seed in the tournament, which means they were not favored to win by the so-called experts. Yet they prevailed against two #1 seeds in a row after having been widely dismissed. Heck, they were widely expected to lose to Indiana.

Agree with part of it. Last year was a mess with injuries, but by and large the major contributors were healthy come tournament time. Bueckers didn't make an AA team last year due to missing most of the year, but she was surely one of the top players in the country come tournament time even if she wasn't on award lists.

In regards to the last part, seeds are based on what a team has accomplished leading up to the NCAA tournament, not an indication of how people predict they will do. So while being a 2 seed usually means the 1 seed is expected to beat you, this isn't always the case, and it was not the case last year.

Looking at the regional matchups, UCONN was not widely expected to lose to Indiana. They were a heavy betting favorite to win (link) and 4/5 ESPN experts thought they'd win that game (link).

They were also favored to beat #1 seed NC State (link), I couldn't find an article with ESPN experts making predictions, but no one was surprised UCONN won that game. When the bracket came out and matchups revealed UCONN was staying in Connecticut and had NC State as their 1 seed, I don't thought it'd be a big upset if UCONN made it out of that regional. I will give you the Stanford game was an upset, all 4 ESPN experts picked Stanford to win (link) though the betting line only had Stanford as a 1.5 point favorite.

Getting to the title game was a great accomplishment after a very rocky season, but I wouldn't classify UCONN getting there as an oddity, and to play the underdog card and state that UCONN didn't have any All Americans on their path to the title game is missing context.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Like you, I agree… mostly. It may be a matter of who we listened to leading up to the tournament. There’s also two separate arguments layered across one another: was UConn favored, and was Paige an AA? I think you agree with me that they weren’t favored to win it all or even to get past Stanford.

At the start of the tournament, I think UConn wasn’t favored to get past NC St. That’s what being a #2 seed literally means. But there were also lots of believers out there, and many who wanted to read the placement of the regional in Hartford as a sort of sign.

After the UCF game, however, some of that confidence was shaken. We scraped out a close win in a game that exposed again the outside shooting woes that had plagued us at our low points in the season. This is why some experts, including Gabe and Kristi and the staff at HerHoopStats picked Indiana in the Sweet Sixteen. They were not alone.

In any event, I think you have a case for thinking we were some sort of favorites in that region. But I don’t think it’s absolute. There’s room to disagree.

The same is true for your remarks about Paige:

Bueckers didn't make an AA team last year due to missing most of the year, but she was surely one of the top players in the country come tournament time even if she wasn't on award lists.
Yes, this is clearly true. But there’s more. Paige didn’t just miss a lot of games. She was also a clearly depleted player when she returned, with minutes restrictions, and often limping off the floor during games only to return later.

Prior to the Elite Eight game, she was primarily an inspirational player, and didn’t have to simply carry the team. She played really well against Indiana, but others played well too. Against NC St and Stanford, she revealed once again the Paige of her freshman year, the one who put the team on her shoulders and beat Tennessee and SCar that year with late game heroics. That was “peak” Paige. And she limped off the court at times, too.

But that Paige, the one who would play through injury and pain to win, needed great games from Liv and Aaliyah and Evina and Christyn and even Azzi to win those games, and she inspired them to play that way. Two years earlier, she engineered the two wins I mentioned even with not-so-great games from the others. She had a bum ankle then, but freshman Paige was not as depleted as sophomore Paige.

Was she AA caliber at that time? I’d say yes, but it would be a sentimental judgment. Yes, she hadn’t played enough games to really register her sustained excellence. But she was also clearly the MVP on a team she carried to the NC game. And it was heart warming to watch her, and inspirational too.

But finally, it wasn’t surprising at least in hindsight, that a depleted Paige couldn’t carry the team over the last challenge. For the second time, she wasn’t quite enough to get us all the way when her team couldn’t support her. In the first season it seemed to be youth and inexperience that undid the others, in the second it may have been injury and illness.

Every time Paige steps onto a basketball court, she is an AA in spirit. But she isn’t always able to bring her broken body along. This is why we all long to see the healthy season — just to see the full resplendent glory of who Paige really is.

seeds are based on what a team has accomplished leading up to the NCAA tournament, not an indication of how people predict they will do. So while being a 2 seed usually means the 1 seed is expected to beat you, this isn't always the case, and it was not the case last year.
I forget exactly why I included this quotation. I guess I think seeds are really both things — they’re earned by prior accomplishments in the regular season, NET, etc., but also express some expectation of what will make for the beast matchups. You’re right to say they’re not predictions, and also to concede that they express what is widely expected. In this, I think we agree.

Sorry for the long post. You gave me a lot to think about.

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I view Zia Cooke as a prototypical utility player, not dissimilar to Lexie Hull for our team the past few seasons. Lexie's stats were always underwhelming relative to all the little things she did to contribute that don't show up in the stay sheet. And on offense, there truly is nothing Cooke can't do - shake and bake, step back, drive to the rim, shoot from outside, etc. And she's endlessly energetic on defense. And Lexie was never an A-A. But she was damn good and a player any team would be lucky to have. The same is true for Zia.

And I'll wear a U$C hat to every Stanford game next season if Boston isn't a first team A-A at seasons end. It irks me that she gets favorable treatment from the refs, but there is absolutely no question she is among the five best players in WCBB.

Reaction Score
Like you, I agree… mostly. It may be a matter of who we listened to leading up to the tournament. There’s also two separate arguments layered across one another: was UConn favored, and was Paige an AA? I think you agree with me that they weren’t favored to win it all or even to get past Stanford.

At the start of the tournament, I think UConn wasn’t favored to get past NC St. That’s what being a #2 seed literally means. But there were also lots of believers out there, and many who wanted to read the placement of the regional in Hartford as a sort of sign.

After the UCF game, however, some of that confidence was shaken. We scraped out a close win in a game that exposed again the outside shooting woes that had plagued us at our low points in the season. This is why some experts, including Gabe and Kristi and the staff at HerHoopStats picked Indiana in the Sweet Sixteen. They were not alone.

In any event, I think you have a case for thinking we were some sort of favorites in that region. But I don’t think it’s absolute. There’s room to disagree.

The same is true for your remarks about Paige:

Yes, this is clearly true. But there’s more. Paige didn’t just miss a lot of games. She was also a clearly depleted player when she returned, with minutes restrictions, and often limping off the floor during games only to return later.

Prior to the Elite Eight game, she was primarily an inspirational player, and didn’t have to simply carry the team. She played really well against Indiana, but others played well too. Against NC St and Stanford, she revealed once again the Paige of her freshman year, the one who put the team on her shoulders and beat Tennessee and SCar that year with late game heroics. That was “peak” Paige. And she limped off the court at times, too.

But that Paige, the one who would play through injury and pain to win, needed great games from Liv and Aaliyah and Evina and Christyn and even Azzi to win those games, and she inspired them to play that way. Two years earlier, she engineered the two wins I mentioned even with not-so-great games from the others. She had a bum ankle then, but freshman Paige was not as depleted as sophomore Paige.

Was she AA caliber at that time? I’d say yes, but it would be a sentimental judgment. Yes, she hadn’t played enough games to really register her sustained excellence. But she was also clearly the MVP on a team she carried to the NC game. And it was heart warming to watch her, and inspirational too.

But finally, it wasn’t surprising at least in hindsight, that a depleted Paige couldn’t carry the team over the last challenge. For the second time, she wasn’t quite enough to get us all the way when her team couldn’t support her. In the first season it seemed to be youth and inexperience that undid the others, in the second it may have been injury and illness.

Every time Paige steps onto a basketball court, she is an AA in spirit. But she isn’t always able to bring her broken body along. This is why we all long to see the healthy season — just to see the full resplendent glory of who Paige really is.

I forget exactly why I included this quotation. I guess I think seeds are really both things — they’re earned by prior accomplishments in the regular season, NET, etc., but also express some expectation of what will make for the beast matchups. You’re right to say they’re not predictions, and also to concede that they express what is widely expected. In this, I think we agree.

Sorry for the long post. You gave me a lot to think about.
Your overall point about how Paige might have inspired good play by teammates vs. NC State and Stanford carries weight, but it's hyperbole to say that Evina, Olivia and Christyn played 'great' in those games. Evina and Liv did have their moments. However, Christyn, who said all year she was the player upon whose shoulders the Huskies could ride, shot a combined 12 of 35 in those two games. In more than 81 minutes of court time in those games, she had all of two assists and seven rebounds... and it got worse for Christyn in the final vs. South Carolina.

Reaction Score
If you are taking Boston off this list you need to move Zia Cooke onto it. Teams are literally triple teaming Boston to the point of being ridiculous and Zia is taking advantage of it. If SC remains the #1 team in the country one of those will be on it.
If they're triple-teaming Boston, then who is guarding Cooke? Boston is an AA. I don't care what numbers she has. Cooke is not a 1st team AA, IMO. If I'm at the park playing pickup and all these folks are available...I pick Boston 1st...no question.

Reaction Score
I view Zia Cooke as a prototypical utility player, not dissimilar to Lexie Hull for our team the past few seasons. Lexie's stats were always underwhelming relative to all the little things she did to contribute that don't show up in the stay sheet. And on offense, there truly is nothing Cooke can't do - shake and bake, step back, drive to the rim, shoot from outside, etc. And she's endlessly energetic on defense. And Lexie was never an A-A. But she was damn good and a player any team would be lucky to have. The same is true for Zia.

And I'll wear a U$C hat to every Stanford game next season if Boston isn't a first team A-A at seasons end. It irks me that she gets favorable treatment from the refs, but there is absolutely no question she is among the five best players in WCBB.
Well said re Zia Cooke (and Lexie).

At this point in the season, it defies whatever logic goes into selecting an All-American team not to have Clark, Siegrist and Reese well ahead of Boston in any fair ranking of performance, whether Aliyah is being triple teamed or not... if we're ranking them by likely draft order, that's a different matter.

Then there are Kittley, whichever or both of Stanford's top duo one prefers, plus Miles and probably others - maybe Aaliyah Edwards? - who could be considered to have performed better than Boston this season.
If they're triple-teaming Boston, then who is guarding Cooke? Boston is an AA. I don't care what numbers she has. Cooke is not a 1st team AA, IMO. If I'm at the park playing pickup and all these folks are available...I pick Boston 1st...no question.
How can numbers not count for anything? We know Boston is a great player, and very well might show it again in big games to come, but if she's not scoring much or getting as many rebounds as she once did, how should others at top programs who are producing be considered behind her? This thread is about 'early January A-A considerations.'

Reaction Score
Well said re Zia Cooke (and Lexie).

At this point in the season, it defies whatever logic goes into selecting an All-American team not to have Clark, Siegrist and Reese well ahead of Boston in any fair ranking of performance, whether Aliyah is being triple teamed or not... if we're ranking them by likely draft order, that's a different matter.

Then there are Kittley, whichever or both of Stanford's top duo one prefers, plus Miles and probably others - maybe Aaliyah Edwards? - who could be considered to have performed better than Boston this season.

How can numbers not count for anything? We know Boston is a great player, and very well might show it again in big games to come, but if she's not scoring much or getting as many rebounds as she once did, how should others at top programs who are producing be considered behind her? This thread is about 'early January A-A considerations.'
Well... there are no stats kept for being triple teamed so...in this instance, that's how. Look. I'm not even a Boston fan and it's clear to me why her scoring is down. She's playing less and the strategy for most defenses is to deny her the ball. Cooke should be scoring more. It all makes sense. Draft order consideration is certainly not all bout stats. Boston is going #1 for a reason. TBH...and we all know this, take scoring for example..if you're on a crappy team and can score, then you will score a lot. On a balanced scoring team...not so much. I wouldn't totally dismiss 'stats', but sometimes they are indicators of other things. Put Caitlin Clarke on any top 5 team and she would not have to score as much. She's an AA too.

Reaction Score
Draft order consideration is certainly not all bout stats. Boston is going #1 for a reason.
I wonder if Boston will go #1. It's possible, maybe even likely. But will professional teams consider her excellence in the paint sufficient without a corresponding excellence as an outside shooter? I don't know the answer to this, but just as a casual fan, to my untrained eye the WNBA seems to be full of bigs who can regularly knock down a 3 or a long 2.

I'm sure she'll be a 1st round pick, even a high one. But I can't help wondering if there isn't someone else who might look even more tantalizing to the pro scouts. I don't see a Rhine Howard type in this class, but I may not be well enough informed.

Reaction Score
I wonder if Boston will go #1. It's possible, maybe even likely. But will professional teams consider her excellence in the paint sufficient without a corresponding excellence as an outside shooter? I don't know the answer to this, but just as a casual fan, to my untrained eye the WNBA seems to be full of bigs who can regularly knock down a 3 or a long 2.

I'm sure she'll be a 1st round pick, even a high one. But I can't help wondering if there isn't someone else who might look even more tantalizing to the pro scouts. I don't see a Rhine Howard type in this class, but I may not be well enough informed.
I would take her at #1 even if it were to trade her. IMO that would be crazy, but a team's needs vary. Boston's offense is just part of her skillset. Her defense is impressive (elite really). Footwork...impressive. Patience...pro level. She's elite on both ends of the floor. Not a lot of those types.

bballnut90

Reaction Score

Boston is a lock for #1 and would've gone #1 over Howard last year. She's extremely skilled on both ends and has the size and frame to be an elite level post in the pros. She's the best big entering the league since A'ja Wilson 5 years ago. In the past Boston's showed good touch from the perimeter and she has a pro ready face up game even if we haven't seen much of it this year. It's an area that does need work, but vast majority of big players develop better perimeter touch throughout their career in the W. Boston right now has a much better shot than most big girls do when they enter the league. Worth noting--I think the pro game will be a lot easier for Boston than the college game this year where she gets doubled/tripled any time she touches the ball. In the pros she'll have better shooters to space the floor and she'll get a lot more 1 on 1 opportunities.

Reaction Score
Boston is a lock for #1 and would've gone #1 over Howard last year. She's extremely skilled on both ends and has the size and frame to be an elite level post in the pros. She's the best big entering the league since A'ja Wilson 5 years ago. In the past Boston's showed good touch from the perimeter and she has a pro ready face up game even if we haven't seen much of it this year. It's an area that does need work, but vast majority of big players develop better perimeter touch throughout their career in the W. Boston right now has a much better shot than most big girls do when they enter the league. Worth noting--I think the pro game will be a lot easier for Boston than the college game this year where she gets doubled/tripled any time she touches the ball. In the pros she'll have better shooters to space the floor and she'll get a lot more 1 on 1 opportunities.
This post exactly. Boston very likely would have been the second or third pick in the draft as a freshmen had she been eligible to come out. She’s arguably been pro-ready from day one and SEC coaches (Joni Taylor and I think there was another) said as much. I won’t get into the All-American debate here because I think most everyone has made valid points, but I do think life will be easier overall for her in the W, even if she does need to refine and expand her face-up game.

Reaction Score

Boston is above and beyond the #1 player in this draft class. She would have been it every year except for her Freshman year. After her physical transformation going into her junior year she wrapped thag distinction up.

She has had a face up game since her Freshman year, and she is capable of shooting from 3. The shooting definitely will need to improve, but her mechanics look great. No reason to not expect that to improve in her pro career. She will have have Nalyssa Smith next to her at the PF, so I can't imagine she will be getting double and triple teamed. I doubt any WNBA GM is putting any weight into her having lower numbers this year. Her dominance demands multiple defenders. In the W, she will have better teammates that can shoot and score.

Reaction Score
THis right here. On point. Before we take Aliyah off the AA list let's wait and see what happens the rest of the season. We are getting into the part of the season where she will be asked to do more. If Zia and Brea keep hitting 3s at a 40% clip and if Kamilla keeps doing her thing then teams aren't going to be able to afford to double and triple team her. Better believe all this talk about Aliyah not being an AA will get to Dawn and Dawn will get that message to AB. She's a gym rat and film junkie. They are going to get it figured out.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Ok so first, let me thank our fav Hoop stat mench, @maccca3232 for advising me on the "Herhoopstats" data assessment, much appreciated. I don't want to violate any copywrite infringement issues but the top 4 Winshares are closely aligned with the Efficiency ranking I posted.
1. Angel Reese 9.5
2. Maddie Siegriest 8.4
3. Ta'Niya Latson 6.9
4. Caitlin Clark 6.6
The number 5 score is 5.9 from USF so I cut the list. Boston is #15 with 5.3 winshares, Edwards is #27 with 4.8 so that is a pretty interesting assessment.

I did do an analysis of the Top 100 Winshares players with the following conference breakdown
1. Big Ten with 16 (Clark #4)
2. PAC12 with 15 (Brink #22)
2. SEC with 15 (Reese #1)
4. ACC with 14 (Latson #3)
5. Big East with 6 (Siegrist #2)
6. AAC with 4 (Fankam-Mendjiadeu #5)
6. Big12 with 4 (Taiyanna Jackson #13)

In my view, the voters will not use much advanced analysis to do their diligence as evidenced by the top 25 voting so expect to see the same drum being beaten and some undeserving names appear and some deserving names not appear.

bballnut90

Reaction Score
Ok so first, let me thank our fav Hoop stat mench, @maccca3232 for advising me on the "Herhoopstats" data assessment, much appreciated. I don't want to violate any copywrite infringement issues but the top 4 Winshares are closely aligned with the Efficiency ranking I posted.
1. Angel Reese 9.5
2. Maddie Siegriest 8.4
3. Ta'Niya Latson 6.9
4. Caitlin Clark 6.6
The number 5 score is 5.9 from USF so I cut the list. Boston is #15 with 5.3 winshares, Edwards is #27 with 4.8 so that is a pretty interesting assessment.

I did do an analysis of the Top 100 Winshares players with the following conference breakdown
1. Big Ten with 16 (Clark #4)
2. PAC12 with 15 (Brink #22)
2. SEC with 15 (Reese #1)
4. ACC with 14 (Latson #3)
5. Big East with 6 (Siegrist #2)
6. AAC with 4 (Fankam-Mendjiadeu #5)
6. Big12 with 4 (Taiyanna Jackson #13)

In my view, the voters will not use much advanced analysis to do their diligence as evidenced by the top 25 voting so expect to see the same drum being beaten and some undeserving names appear and some deserving names not appear.

To be fair I don't think win share correlates with best player or best season as much as it indicates how important or heavily used a player is to their specific team. Dissecting the players listed:
-Angel Reese's numbers are amazing but they have come against an awful schedule (though Angel might keep up her current tear).

-Siegrist/Latson play for borderline top 25 teams, so while they're putting up great numbers, they aren't elevating their teams to be among the best in the country. It's a 2 way street since basketball is a team sport and neither has the teammates to get there, but the flip side is that their win-share numbers are also inflated compared to others because they're so heavily relied upon. There has to be a balance between individual stats and overall winning/team success. Both are elite with the former but not with the latter. A player like Boston/Brink/etc makes it with leading their team to success but neither has elite individual stats.

-Caitlin Clark finds that balance since her team is likely in the 10-15 range after this week, she is tearing it up against a tougher schedule, and is leading her team to victories in several of these big games.

Also, in regards to your last comment, I disagree voters will be lazy and just go with big names. Several players who weren't on top 25 teams still made the AP teams last year despite a lack of team success. Morrow was 2nd team without DePaul being top 25, Siegrist made 3rd team despite Villanova barely making the tournament, and Burton made 3rd team without leading her team to the tournament at all. This year Morrow made the preseason top 5 team and Siegrist received votes as well. Voters are recognizing players across the country even if they don't get a lot of exposure or play for elite teams.

Reaction Score
To be fair I don't think win share correlates with best player or best season as much as it indicates how important or heavily used a player is to their specific team. Dissecting the players listed:
-Angel Reese's numbers are amazing but they have come against an awful schedule (though Angel might keep up her current tear).

-Siegrist/Latson play for borderline top 25 teams, so while they're putting up great numbers, they aren't elevating their teams to be among the best in the country. It's a 2 way street since basketball is a team sport and neither has the teammates to get there, but the flip side is that their win-share numbers are also inflated compared to others because they're so heavily relied upon. There has to be a balance between individual stats and overall winning/team success. Both are elite with the former but not with the latter. A player like Boston/Brink/etc makes it with leading their team to success but neither has elite individual stats.

-Caitlin Clark finds that balance since her team is likely in the 10-15 range after this week, she is tearing it up against a tougher schedule, and is leading her team to victories in several of these big games.

Also, in regards to your last comment, I disagree voters will be lazy and just go with big names. Several players who weren't on top 25 teams still made the AP teams last year despite a lack of team success. Morrow was 2nd team without DePaul being top 25, Siegrist made 3rd team despite Villanova barely making the tournament, and Burton made 3rd team without leading her team to the tournament at all. This year Morrow made the preseason top 5 team and Siegrist received votes as well. Voters are recognizing players across the country even if they don't get a lot of exposure or play for elite teams.
Good post. I agree especially with your final remark that voters don't just go for the big names. I think they like being able to find someone special in an unusual or overlooked place.

I'm wondering about the individual/team stats distinction your propose. It sounds about right to me. Putting up lots of points, for example, for a team that doesn't go very far isn't finally as impressive as being the player a team depends on for big wins even if their individual numbers aren't the best. Clark is in a way the poster girl for this distinction, because she puts up big numbers and has helped her team get through the first couple rounds of the tournament. Latson hasn't shown herself to be this kind of player yet.

Of course, even for Clark, there are games in which she scores big and Iowa still loses, which isn't a good look for her... and I think she knows it. In the game against us this year -- which has to count as a big test for any opponent -- Iowa built a big lead in the 3rd quarter, and Clark helped achieve that without scoring much. But then they collapsed in the 4th quarter and she became a non-factor, and tellingly she hit a few big buckets toward the end, but they didn't matter. Not exactly junk points, but also not really big buckets either.

What I take from this is that SoS matters, but it's possible to score big against top competition and still not achieve much.

Reaction Score
This is one of the best and, in my opinion, fairest threads about potential All-Americans I've seen here in a while. For those of you who have read my posts, thanks. I offer the reminder what I have said to date has been responding to DefenseBB's concept of what the A-A team might be as of early January, and not what it'll likely be come early March.

Keep it going, my friends.

Reaction Score
I'm protesting until Lopez Senechal gets some SERIOUS consideration. What does she have to do to even get in the conversation?

TheFarmFan

Stanford Fan, Huskies Admirer
Reaction Score
I'm protesting until Lopez Senechal gets some SERIOUS consideration. What does she have to do to even get in the conversation?
I love Lou, but her stats outside of scoring are pretty underwhelming (almost no rebounds, more TOs than As, minimal steals/blocks), and she's not even the top scorer on her team. She is a great contributor to UConn, and a super high IQ player, but I wouldn't put her in the A-A contender category.

Reaction Score
I love Lou, but her stats outside of scoring are pretty underwhelming (almost no rebounds, more TOs than As, minimal steals/blocks), and she's not even the top scorer on her team. She is a great contributor to UConn, and a super high IQ player, but I wouldn't put her in the A-A contender category.
She's not the top scorer because the team is balanced. Her role on the team is to score. How many guards are shooting over 50%? A handful. And you won't find many more efficient. If you're going to 'consider or talk about Celeste Taylor, Zia Cooke, Jordan Horston (turnover machine, but IMO an AA)..., then I don't see how you can leave Lou out of the conversation. To me...consistency matters. I haven't even seen Rickea Jackson's name mentioned here....not to say it wasn't. How about Brea Beale? Sometimes you're the highest scorer on a bad team. Sometimes you're the average scorer on a great team. I'm playing devil's advocate to an extent. I know there are many factors to consider and that the reality is that there aren't enough "spots" to recognize all the elite talent.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
I think the real question is prioritizing the Alpha, Beta and Tertiary recommendations for AA considerations. From UConn perspective, for it's durability and regular contribution is Aaliyah as the Alpha with Azzi as the current Beta due to all the injury time she's had but if she comes back to her prior productive self, she becomes the Alpha and Aaliyah is the Beta so at best Lou would be the third option which is never going to get serious consideration for AA as UConn is not dominant the way it was with Stewart/Jefferson/Tuck or Samuelson/Collier/Williams so is Lou having a great year, yes, has she put herself into WNBA consideration, yes, is she a viable candidate for AA, no, she can get the just as noteworthy "Honorable Mention" line though.

Reaction Score
I think the real question is prioritizing the Alpha, Beta and Tertiary recommendations for AA considerations. From UConn perspective, for it's durability and regular contribution is Aaliyah as the Alpha with Azzi as the current Beta due to all the injury time she's had but if she comes back to her prior productive self, she becomes the Alpha and Aaliyah is the Beta so at best Lou would be the third option which is never going to get serious consideration for AA as UConn is not dominant the way it was with Stewart/Jefferson/Tuck or Samuelson/Collier/Williams so is Lou having a great year, yes, has she puut herself into WNBA consideration, yes, is she a viable candidate for AA,o, she can get the just as noteworthy "Honorable Mention" line though.
And Nurse is better at the next level then Samuelson or Williams. That is where it really counts, and Lou has the type of game to fit in the WNBA.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
And Nurse is better at the next level then Samuelson or Williams. That is where it really counts, and Lou has the type of game to fit in the WNBA.
While I agree about Nurse as a pro, and I think Lou could absolutely make the WNBA as she can create her own shot but your comparison is sort of saying that Lou would be a better pro than either Azzi or Aaliyah which is a bridge too far for me to agree with.

Reaction Score
I'm not so certain I'd fully agree with about Kia, saddled with injury, being better the past couple of years than Gabby and/or Katie Lou. Both of them have distinguished themselves in the Euro-league and have significantly upgraded their games.

Gabby was an important player for Seattle last year, was named to the all-WNBA second team defensive team while scoring 7 per game, and Katie Lou averaged 9 points for the Sparks and has been a starter for the past two seasons. Kia's shooting has fallen off dramatically and her bad knee has limited her defensive mobility.

As for Lou, anyone who can shoot as she does has a future somewhere, perhaps in the WNBA, definitely in France or elsewhere.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SeaDr

Top Bottom