OT: - Duke Recruiting | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Duke Recruiting

Reaction Score
Say what you will...K is a winner. Sure he has athletes...but he is their coach.

Last year, with Duke down 23, he had his kids pull it out.

"With 10 minutes remaining in their Tuesday-night matchup, the No. 2 Duke Blue Devils trailed the 16th-ranked Louisville Cardinals by 23 points, their largest deficit of the season.

But Duke head coach Mike Krzyzewski refused to let the young Blue Devils hang their heads, prompting the largest comeback win in the Hall of Fame coach's tenure with the program.

When asked what Coach K said in the huddle to spark the comeback, freshman phenom Zion Williamson admitted the 72-year-old didn't hold back.

"He said he don't coach losers," Williamson told ESPN after the game. "[He] only coach winners. He said to go out there and play hard, and he could coach us to a win."

Reaction Score
Duke is in unchartered territory now. There has arguably been no one that has ever had the NBA talent come in at the rate K has had over the last decade. You start looking at his lottery picks during those 9 years, and it compares favorably to Dean Smith’s career. His 36-year career. Basically the only precedence for what Duke is doing is the Sam Gilbert UCLA days.

Reaction Score
It's not easy to win titles with one and dones. You can win a lot of games, but when the tourney rolls around, teams with experienced upper classman that are disciplined, make free throws and don't turn the ball over move on.

One and dones get you to the tourney, but freshmen get caught up in the moment. You see them get frustrated when calls don't go their way, or they try to make things happen and force shots. I'd rather have 1 one and done, than a whole team full of head cases.

Coach K has lost his way.
Unless it is Carmello Anthony at Syracuse.

Reaction Score
Coach K is an overrated coach these days in my opinion. If I'm a 1 and done I'd go Calipari over K any day. He doesn't develop many guys up to the NBA level, his best development job in the last few years was Luke Kennard, maybe Justise Winslow.

The other star recruits like Kyrie, Ingram, Okafor, Zion, Reddish (K hurt his draft stock big time), Barrett, etc could've gone to community college and been lottery picks. Guys like Harry Giles, Duval, Trent, Frank Jackson, Bolden, etc didn't get better at all while at Duke

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Coach K is an overrated coach these days in my opinion. If I'm a 1 and done I'd go Calipari over K any day. He doesn't develop many guys up to the NBA level, his best development job in the last few years was Luke Kennard, maybe Justise Winslow.

The other star recruits like Kyrie, Ingram, Okafor, Zion, Reddish (K hurt his draft stock big time), Barrett, etc could've gone to community college and been lottery picks. Guys like Harry Giles, Duval, Trent, Frank Jackson, Bolden, etc didn't get better at all while at Duke

Nobody really 'develops' 1 and done guys. They either get exposed or they don't.

Reaction Score
Nobody really 'develops' 1 and done guys. They either get exposed or they don't.
Tyler Herro and Devin Booker come to mind as two guys that were not much on the 1 and done radar to start the year but developed into them

Reaction Score
and doesn't everyone want to get to a point where that is their situation?
No question, but only 3-4 teams can at this point. We already know who is in the Sweet Sixteen for a great many, in October.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Tyler Herro and Devin Booker come to mind as two guys that were not much on the 1 and done radar to start the year but developed into them

Yeah, but those are more an aberration; it's not that somebody knows how to develop them. They just blow up for a variety of reasons. Maybe they were better players than anybody thought.

When we're talking about 1 and dones, we're generally talking about guys who are lottery picks in high school.

Reaction Score
If you look at the ten teams with the most 1st rounders...you find that they have accounted for one half of the national championships.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yeah, but those are more an aberration; it's not that somebody knows how to develop them. They just blow up for a variety of reasons. Maybe they were better players than anybody thought.

When we're talking about 1 and dones, we're generally talking about guys who are lottery picks in high school.

Exactly. No idea how anyone can say he doesn’t put guys in the league. Did anyone click my link? Duke Players Drafted in the NBA - RealGM #1, 3 and 10 last year. If anything a fair number of his guys go higher than they should based on their NBA results.

C

Chief00

JC’s NCs were a little more earned than others - imo. One of my favorite (and telling) statements I've ever heard came from Calipari and it went something like this (paraphrasing here). Calipari said... "I really missed out on that Walker kid." Hmmm...
I wonder if we used just a little subtle negative recruiting in that battle. LOL. I love JC.

Reaction Score
Every other school in the country is looking for just one 1 of these guys to build a team around while Duke and Kentucky often have “extras” languishing on the bench. Any HS basketball coach could be successful with talent like that. It’s not Duke recruiting it’s Duke “sign up”.

Reaction Score
Same with Bama football....I'd like to say that I once played for Saben..

Or played for Coach K, or Bear Bryant, etc.

Reaction Score
Or...I'd like to be the next of Coach K's NBA millionaires.

Guys like Zion at Duke or Michael Jordan at UNC are recruiting gold....the memory reverberates through years.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom