OT: - Duke Recruiting | The Boneyard

OT: Duke Recruiting

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Started recruiting this kid on Wednesday. Offered on Thursday. Commit on Friday.

Must be nice.

Five-star forward Jaemyn Brakefield announced his commitment to Duke on Friday, just one day after the Blue Devils extended a scholarship offer.

Brakefield took official visits to Auburn and Louisville, and planned to take visits to Ole Miss and Michigan -- but coach Mike Krzyzewski called Brakefield on Wednesday night to express Duke's interest. On Thursday, the Blue Devils reached out again to extend the offer.

Reaction Score
It's not easy to win titles with one and dones. You can win a lot of games, but when the tourney rolls around, teams with experienced upper classman that are disciplined, make free throws and don't turn the ball over move on.

One and dones get you to the tourney, but freshmen get caught up in the moment. You see them get frustrated when calls don't go their way, or they try to make things happen and force shots. I'd rather have 1 one and done, than a whole team full of head cases.

Coach K has lost his way.

Reaction Score
It's not easy to win titles with one and dones. You can win a lot of games, but when the tourney rolls around, teams with experienced upper classman that are disciplined, make free throws and don't turn the ball over move on.

One and dones get you to the tourney, but freshmen get caught up in the moment. You see them get frustrated when calls don't go their way, or they try to make things happen and force shots. I'd rather have 1 one and done, than a whole team full of head cases.

For the most part I agree with what you say. Unfortunately, he has to play the same game as other coaches.
While he does play it a little better than most I truly believe that he prefers "the old days".

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score

You gotta make the tournament before worrying about how to win it.

Reaction Score
Next year 4 , 5 star recruits so far and they’re still looking for a center. Damn it’s tough to get a center these days even a backup one. How does K even sleep at night knowing how difficult his job is?

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It's gotten so I don't even pay attention to Duke anymore
That Zion soap opera last season has put that program with the Kentucky, Zona and Louisville

Reaction Score
For the most part I agree with what you say. Unfortunately, he has to play the same game as other coaches.
While he does play it a little better than most I truly believe that he prefers "the old days".
I agree. Calipari is on record saying that he would rather have talent than experience any day. On the recruiting trail, I think its pretty much common knowledge who 90% of the one and done kids are. With the way the game is today, If you have a chance to sign one or more of those kids, you take them. Its just come to the point where most of them flock to the likes of UK, Duke, KU, etc.

As far as Coach K, I think the recruiting is the easy part for him. If he really wants somebody, its probably not that hard to persuade them...and no Im not trying to create a $$$ conspiracy.

Reaction Score
I agree. Calipari is on record saying that he would rather have talent than experience any day. On the recruiting trail, I think its pretty much common knowledge who 90% of the one and done kids are. With the way the game is today, If you have a chance to sign one or more of those kids, you take them. Its just come to the point where most of them flock to the likes of UK, Duke, KU, etc.

As far as Coach K, I think the recruiting is the easy part for him. If he really wants somebody, its probably not that hard to persuade them...and no Im not trying to create a $$$ conspiracy.
Calipari is by far - the worst. Duke, similar to UNC, recruits by name. They don't recruit - they reload talent. Calipari - and now apparently Self use devious methods to obtain talent. Others have chosen to employ a similar method as well - in an attempt to compete with the bigger named schools. It makes you appreciate the ones who identify hidden talent, build a 'team' and coach their way to championships. JC's NCs were a little more earned than others - imo. One of my favorite (and telling) statements I've ever heard came from Calipari and it went something like this (paraphrasing here). Calipari said... "I really missed out on that Walker kid." Hmmm...

Reaction Score

No, he prefers it this way, though I believe he would probably say he prefers the old days. He does not have to recruit classes with multiple 5 star one and done players every year. He could easily get one 5 star per year with a couple very quality 4 star players and some would argue this is a better way for tournament success. But I think it is obvious that coach K prefers having the most elite talent instead.

Reaction Score
Well...it seems to work for K...

Five total NC's....
...in the last five season's...he's got an NC, two Elite Eights, a Sweet Sixteen, and a round of 32.

He recruits good basketball athletes.

But has to...with UNC as their main rival.

Reaction Score
Well...it seems to work for K...

Five total NC's....
...in the last five season's...he's got an NC, two Elite Eights, a Sweet Sixteen, and a round of 32.

He recruits good basketball athletes.

But has to...with UNC as their main rival.
There's no "recruiting". The last prospect got a call, signed up and then thanked K and Duke. He
was being really recruited by others who put the work in and Duke just came in at the last second the phone call.

Reaction Score
The Squid loves having the built-in excuse of “we are so young”. Get the Frickin violins out. And he wants credit for ‘developing’ these kids. Even though they’ve only been at UK for a few months. Most would’ve been lottery picks coming out of HS, anyway.

Reaction Score

Remember when he used to talk about how hard it was to recruit at Duke because many kids couldn't qualify academically?? Who lost their way, the Coach, or the University??

Reaction Score
There's no "recruiting". The last prospect got a call, signed up and then thanked K and Duke. He
was being really recruited by others who put the work in and Duke just came in at the last second the phone call.

and doesn't everyone want to get to a point where that is their situation?

Reaction Score
and, if your offers were from FSU, Louisville, Michigan, Auburn, Ole Miss, Virginia, Michigan State, Oregon, WVU, Kansas, and UCLA...Georgetown and a few more..

Might nor Duke be a decent offer?

And, if UConn didn't offer (no record in 247 or espn that they did)...why worry? No offer, no loss.

Duke did stay in touch.

"Prior to getting the offer on Thursday, Duke’s assistant coaches had kept in touch with him. Brakefield said the two sides talked a lot over the last week, and once they made the decision to offer, Brakefield, a standout at Huntingon (W.V.) Prep, didn’t see a reason to wait."

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score

I have no doubt he prefers the old days. Last year he had 3 one and dones. 2018: 2. 2017: 3. 2016: 1 2015: 3.

And yet, going back in time, I think Cory Maggette with the first freshman Coach K ever had declare.
Look at all the seniors on this list. Duke Players Drafted in the NBA - RealGM Ferry, Amaker, Dawkins, Laetner, Thomas Hill, Brian Davis, Phil Henderson, Hurley, Grant Hill. Even after Maggette left he kept several great players through Jr. year.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Calipari is by far - the worst. Duke, similar to UNC, recruits by name. They don't recruit - they reload talent. Calipari - and now apparently Self use devious methods to obtain talent. Others have chosen to employ a similar method as well - in an attempt to compete with the bigger named schools.

Duke is now largely on the pay-for-play model is well. You only have to look at recent high level recruits to find the evidence. It's not even hidden.

Reaction Score
I have no doubt he prefers the old days. Last year he had 3 one and dones. 2018: 2. 2017: 3. 2016: 1 2015: 3.

And yet, going back in time, I think Cory Maggette with the first freshman Coach K ever had declare.
Look at all the seniors on this list. Duke Players Drafted in the NBA - RealGM Ferry, Amaker, Dawkins, Laetner, Thomas Hill, Brian Davis, Phil Henderson, Hurley, Grant Hill. Even after Maggette left he kept several great players through Jr. year.

Now he's has to deal with everyone that wants to be a future agent, sneaker companies and boosters that want autographs and ESPN reporters that want video of the latest dunk. He's more of a babysitter than coach, and I not calling these kids immature, just using that term to put the current state of one and done coaching into perspective

Reaction Score
Calipari is by far - the worst. Duke, similar to UNC, recruits by name. They don't recruit - they reload talent. Calipari - and now apparently Self use devious methods to obtain talent. Others have chosen to employ a similar method as well - in an attempt to compete with the bigger named schools. It makes you appreciate the ones who identify hidden talent, build a 'team' and coach their way to championships. JC's NCs were a little more earned than others - imo. One of my favorite (and telling) statements I've ever heard came from Calipari and it went something like this (paraphrasing here). Calipari said... "I really missed out on that Walker kid." Hmmm...
K pays just as much or more than Calipari does.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom