Duke’s Coach JPM: What to do? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Duke’s Coach JPM: What to do?

Reaction Score
Humm, last I checked Coach K was the MEN’S basketball coach, not the AD and certainly should not be offering an opinion about the results of an investigation to which he would not have been involved OR in the know of what happened on a day to day basis. If true, then the AD is even more gutless than I feared. Reigning over his own program contrary to AD protocol (Grayson Allen) is one thing, giving opinions on other school programs is disgraceful and pathetic. Then again having watched Coach K all these years not a surprise based on his history.
Coach K works for the AD on paper, but he's the King of Durham. If he wanted a new AD (or head WBB coach) all he would have to do is say, "You're outta here!"

1576086684578.png

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
From what I heard at the time, Finances were a contributing factor in JPM not being released. JPM also had the backing of Coach K. With her contract expiring, this would be an ideal time to replace JPM if the AD and Coach K didn't think she was doing a good job.

Humm, last I checked Coach K was the MEN’S basketball coach, not the AD and certainly should not be offering an opinion about the results of an investigation to which he would not have been involved OR in the know of what happened on a day to day basis. If true, then the AD is even more gutless than I feared.

With all due respect to the positions of @Wbbfan1 and @DefenseBB , I have to add a few points of clarification.

First, as I noted in my previous post, the complaint that led to the investigation was initiated by Elizabeth Williams, who said no mistreatment was physical or criminal in nature but described the program's atmosphere with McCallie at the helm as negative.

Second, one of the big components of the investigation was the number of potential witnesses (among alumni and former coaches) who did not or would not speak to the investigation team or who could not (in the case of former Duke assistant coaches and players who transferred, who either did not or could not obtain permission from their current universities to participate).

Third, it is an incorrect statement to say that McCallie has the backing of Coach K -- or had the backing of Coach K at the time of the investigation. I would not refer to Coach K as a supporter of the women's program, but I would also not characterize him as someone who is anti-McCallie. At the time of the investigation and continuing through to today, he is neutral regarding McCallie and the women's program, per my inside sources.

Fourth, Coach K was not part of the decision process for whether Duke retained McCallie after the investigation. Rather, the results of the investigation would have dictated the course of action (see my two points after this one for additional information).

Fifth, had the investigation revealed abuse of players/assistant coaches, McCallie's contract would have been terminated (at the time of the investigation, she had three years remaining on her deal).

Finally, it is important to remember that this was an HR administrative investigation, not a criminal one, not a civil lawsuit, and certainly not a proceeding before a tribunal with subpoena power to compel cooperation. If only certain potential witnesses participate -- and others do not or cannot -- then the investigation can only reach conclusions based on the evidence and witness statements provided.

Personally, I have had conversations and communication with parents of former players whose daughters chose not to participate in the investigation because they had graduated, gone on to achieve bigger and better things, and moved on with their lives. They did not want to revisit their experiences with McCallie, but chose to keep that chapter of their respective lives closed. I have spoken several times with a former staff member whose subsequent university employer would not let her speak to the investigation team (the concern from the other university was that speaking with investigators could result in an accusation that the testimony was provided in order to hamper recruiting and the program at Duke; the university simply did not want to wade into that minefield or deal with any of the PR issues that come with it, preferring to let Duke's "problem" be just that - Duke's problem.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Humm, last I checked Coach K was the MEN’S basketball coach, not the AD and certainly should not be offering an opinion about the results of an investigation to which he would not have been involved OR in the know of what happened on a day to day basis. If true, then the AD is even more gutless than I feared. Reigning over his own program contrary to AD protocol (Grayson Allen) is one thing, giving opinions on other school programs is disgraceful and pathetic. Then again having watched Coach K all these years not a surprise based on his history.
Using your logic Geno would be "disgraceful and pathetic" for expressing support for Jim Calhoun, Kevin Ollie, Danny Hurley or Nancy Stevens. Coach K has a career distinguished by integrity as in 5 years at Army and 39 at Duke has NEVER had an NCAA violation. What you are implying is down right slanderous.

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
Using your logic Geno would be "disgraceful and pathetic" for expressing support for Jim Calhoun, Kevin Ollie, Danny Hurley or Nancy Stevens. Coach K has a career distinguished by integrity as in 5 years at Army and 39 at Duke has NEVER had an NCAA violation. What you are implying is down right slanderous.
I guess you enjoy trying to characterize my comments on specific aspects to your own perceived agenda on my posts. So let me address your latest incorrect assumption: I said IF Coach K opined, which Cameron clarified, I would find that obtrusive, whether he thinks he’s the King of Duke and should, could or would opine on such would still Ben wrong. So as I NEVER SAID Coach K violated anything regards to NCAA rules (again jumping to a conclusion). I do have specific context that while a great basketball coach, his judgement has lapses in tone and tenor regarding criticism of his actions. I listed Grayson Allen specifically in parentheses as my primary objections to his overriding what normal protocol would and should have been. in regards to Geno, whether he would or wouldn’t I do not know. I know Geno cares greatly for the University and would defend it to the death. If he were to incorrectly defend something no under his authority or not under his direct knowledge that I felt strongly about (like Kim Mulkey saying stupid comments on Baylor Hardwood floor right after the Briles revelations) than yes, I would speak out. Geno would be so stupid as that. Hopefully that clarifies my post enough to your satisfaction.

Now if you have more assumptions you wish to make on my posts please feel free to use the Inbox function and we can discuss privately.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
I guess you enjoy trying to characterize my comments on specific aspects to your own perceived agenda on my posts. So let me address your latest incorrect assumption: I said IF Coach K opined, which Cameron clarified, I would find that obtrusive, whether he thinks he’s the King of Duke and should, could or would opine on such would still Ben wrong. So as I NEVER SAID Coach K violated anything regards to NCAA rules (again jumping to a conclusion). I do have specific context that while a great basketball coach, his judgement has lapses in tone and tenor regarding criticism of his actions. I listed Grayson Allen specifically in parentheses as my primary objections to his overriding what normal protocol would and should have been. in regards to Geno, whether he would or wouldn’t I do not know. I know Geno cares greatly for the University and would defend it to the death. If he were to incorrectly defend something no under his authority or not under his direct knowledge that I felt strongly about (like Kim Mulkey saying stupid comments on Baylor Hardwood floor right after the Briles revelations) than yes, I would speak out. Geno would be so stupid as that. Hopefully that clarifies my post enough to your satisfaction.

Now if you have more assumptions you wish to make on my posts please feel free to use the Inbox function and we can discuss privately.
We can certain go private if you wish but what remains public is your response to @Wbbfan1. That initial comment stated that JPM had the "backing of coach K". You took that left, implying that coach K expressed an opinion on the investigation, should mind his own business and does not have control of his own program citing Grayson Allen as an example of Coach K's "history". Slanderous!

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
Duke has NEVER had an NCAA violation

Yeah, that's either because they run a squeaky clean program, or because the NCAA is really good at looking the other way when Duke is involved. I know which option I believe is true.

Last edited:
Reaction Score

Coach K has never had an NCAA violation because the NCAA never had the balz to persue it. I’m sure many people are knowledgeable about Maggette etc. there were a few that everyone ignored. I mean K is not God no matter what Duke fans think.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Coach K has never had an NCAA violation because the NCAA never had the balz to persue it. I’m sure many people are knowledgeable about Maggette etc. there were a few that everyone ignored. I mean K is not God no matter what Duke fans think.
:eek: You sound like Pat Summit (not in her right mind allegedly) accusing UCONN. "They know what they did",was what Pat said.

shame.gif

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Great.... this thread has turned from bashing Coach McCallie, to Bashing Coach K..... guess Coach Cut is up next followed by Coach Pollard (baseball) :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Great.... this thread has turned from bashing Coach McCallie, to Bashing Coach K..... guess Coach Cut is up next followed by Coach Pollard (baseball) :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:
Who is coach Cut? Not it matters I'll be here to defend em from these vicious attacks.

Reaction Score
:eek: You sound like Pat Summit (not in her right mind allegedly) accusing UCONN. "They know what they did",was what Pat said.

View attachment 49070

Are you accusing me of being on the doorstep of dementia? Shame on you. If a coach any coach deserved bashing then bash away. I thought message boards were for posting one’s thoughts. If you don’t like my posts don’t insult me just don’t read my posts.

Reaction Score
There's Lance Thomas and the jewels, Marvin Badgley, Zion Williamson, etc.

Coach Cut is short for Duke's football coach David Cutcliffe

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
dont-get-me-started-cause-iainta-got-no-brakes-8156587.png

we can get this thread to spiral outta far control, just let me know....

nwhoopfan

hopeless West Coast homer
Reaction Score
There's Lance Thomas and the jewels, Marvin Badgley, Zion Williamson, etc.

Coach Cut is short for Duke's football coach David Cutcliffe

Don't forget Corey Maggette.

And nobody cares enough about Duke football to criticize their coach for anything. :rolleyes:

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Are you accusing me of being on the doorstep of dementia? Shame on you. If a coach any coach deserved bashing then bash away. I thought message boards were for posting one’s thoughts. If you don’t like my posts don’t insult me just don’t read my posts.
No. I'm accusing you of character assassination by innuendo as Pat did to Geno and UCONN program. Specifically you assertion that Duke violated plenty but the NCAA had no balz to pursue.

CocoHusky

1,000,001 BY points
Reaction Score
Yeah, that's either because they run a squeaky clean program, or because the NCAA is really good at looking the other way when Duke is involved. I know which option I believe is true.
:eek: You are right, nobody could run a program that long (39 years), win championships & actually be doing things the right way. Not sure why a guy at the helm of a program like that would be selected to coach the Nation team either.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom