Duke’s Coach JPM: What to do? | The Boneyard

Duke’s Coach JPM: What to do?

DefenseBB

Snark is always appreciated!
Reaction Score
First I need @Plebe to monitor @triaddukefan heart rate on this thread to make sure no blood vessels explode.
That said, I was thinking about What should Duke do with JPM as her contract runs another year through 2020-21. Her team has clearly diminished in talent and stature these past 4 years so while she did well her first 6 years, heavy cracks in the foundation are apparent. This program used to define the ACC for a good 10-12 year run but now, ND, Louisville, FSU, Syracuse,Miami, NC State are viewed in higher esteem. With N.C. getting a new coach, will despised nemesis NCheat surpass the Blue Devils? If we here on the BY want to point at Holly and Karen Aston as classic underachievers who were ripe to be fired, then what about Joanne P McCallie? Both Tenn and Texas have regularly made the NCAA these last 5 years and have been ranked this year. When could we say that about Duke? If Duke played Texas tomorrow, I know I would bet on Texas as they had oodles of talent even if lacking coaching. Duke, on the other hand, not so much.
At what point does Duke make a move? From my view I don’t see a reversal of fortune on the horizon this year or next. Have the expectations gone so low in Durham that they would extend her over the summer? Would they let the contract play out and let her bow out as gracefully as possible-think Joanne Boyle last year at Virginia as an example. What I think they want to avoid is a Holly or even worse, a Sylvia Hatchell situation where you have to fire a longtime coach with time Left on the contract.
Thoughts?

Last edited:

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
Hopefully thoughts over your situation and NOT AT Me!

Plebe

La verdad no peca pero incomoda
Reaction Score
What should Duke do? What they clearly have chosen not to do.

The administration clearly chose several years ago, despite whatever scuttlebutt and the resulting "investigation," to just wait out the clock on JPM. At this point I don't see them willing to buy out even one month of her contract, but I don't see them extending either.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
First I need @Plebe to monitor @triaddukefan heart rate on this thread to make sure no blood vessels explode.
That said, I was thinking about What should Duke do with JPM as her contract runs another year through 2020-21. Her team has clearly diminished is talent and stature these past 4 years so while she did well her first 6 years, heavy cracks in the foundation are apparent. This program used to define the ACC for a good 10-12 year run but now, ND, Louisville, FSU, Syracuse,Miami, NC State are viewed in higher esteem. With N.C. getting a new coach, will despised nemesis NCheat surpass the Blue Devils?

I fear that school in Orange County will surpass us this season. I didnt think so during the off-season.... but early results have changed my mind. I dont even want to THINK about that first matchup in Cameron. I was planning on going, but but but.... not sure if it would be in my best health to do so.

If we here on the BY want to point at Holly and Karen Aston as classic underachievers who were ripe to be fired, then what about Joanne P McCallie? Both Tenn and Texas have regularly made the NCAA these last 5 years and have been ranked this year. When could we say that about Duke? If Duke played Texas tomorrow, I know I would bet on Texas as they had oodles of talent even if lacking coaching. Duke, on the other hand, not so much.
At what point does Duke make a move? From my view I don’t see a reversal of fortune on the horizon this year or next. Have the expectations gone so low in Durham that they would extend her over the summer? Would they let the contract play out and let bow out as gracefully as possible-think Joanne Boyle last year at Virginia as an example. What I think they want to avoid is a Holly or even worse, a Sylvia Hatchell situation where you have to fire a longtime coach with time Left on the contract.
Thoughts?

Dwindling attendance, just one recruit signed for next season.... our 3 most talented players graduating in May... no way no how she get's a another contract extension

angry mob.jpg

That would be the scene on AD Kevin White's front yard if that happened. I'd be the one carrying a torch in one hand..... and chicken bones and rotten eggs (to throw) in the other hand.

I can always delete this post just in case right? I aint built for no jail time.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
What about Duke's other backsliding coach? Coach K. :oops:

Reaction Score
What should Duke do? What they clearly have chosen not to do.

The administration clearly chose several years ago, despite whatever scuttlebutt and the resulting "investigation," to just wait out the clock on JPM. At this point I don't see them willing to buy out even one month of her contract, but I don't see them extending either.
Love the Logo!

Reaction Score
I think many of you folks are not painting an accurate picture of JPM. JPM has been and continues to be the best WBB head coach at Duke going on 12 years plus. That's saying something. Let's give her credit.

EricLA

Cronus
Reaction Score
I think many of you folks are not painting an accurate picture of JPM. JPM has been and continues to be the best WBB head coach at Duke going on 12 years plus. That's saying something. Let's give her credit.
Sorry, but I think you forgot to put in the "sarcasm" emoticon. @CamrnCrz1974, @ucbart - thoughts?

Cam has posted a terrific timeline of how completely Joanne McCallie has destroyed everything that Gail built. He has also posted numerous stats of how well Gail performed - not only in her league, the NCAA's, but also against other top programs - compared to how completely inept Duke has been since JPM took over the program. I look forward to seeing Barry's thoughts...

Reaction Score
Have the Dukies who have been calling for P's head and posting negatives about her for over way over a decade on every existing women's basketball forum, ever considered that they might have had a hand in the demise of the Duke program. It would surely impact recruiting if teams own fan base spent the last ten years posting, negatives, not only on their own fan site but also every existing site in question. Sort of an active self-fulfilling prophecy.

I suspect that the push to oust P as coach almost from the moment she took the position ( by some anyway ) sort of impelled the AD to dig in his heels with respect to any thought of getting rid of her. Had they just let things take their natural course the AD might have been more apt to make a change if the program did indeed take the same sort of downward spiral. However, being forced via a crusade might make any AD decide they were not going to be forced into a decision.

Perhaps with her contract expiring it will allow them to make a non-pressured face-saving change. That seems to be in the best interest of all concerned at this point in time. Or maybe they just do not see the WBB program as being that high a priority. That seems to have been what triggered this whole mess as it supposedly facilitated the leaving of coach G. You know, except for WCBB fans, that is not really that high on the list of importance.

Last edited:

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
Sorry, but I think you forgot to put in the "sarcasm" emoticon. @CamrnCrz1974, @ucbart - thoughts?

Cam has posted a terrific timeline of how completely Joanne McCallie has destroyed everything that Gail built. He has also posted numerous stats of how well Gail performed - not only in her league, the NCAA's, but also against other top programs - compared to how completely inept Duke has been since JPM took over the program. I look forward to seeing Barry's thoughts...

Here you go, @EricLA (and for @HuskyNan , @JS , @CocoHusky , @ucbart , @vowelguy , @triaddukefan , @RockyMTblue2 , @husky32 , and the other members of the Boneyard faithful with whom I have discussed this topic).

20th Century Program Assessment
(Last 7 years of Gail Goestenkors’s tenure vs. 12 years of Joanne P. McCallie, not including 2019-20, the current season)

OVERALL RECORD (last 7 years of Gail Goestenkors vs. 12 years of Joanne P. McCallie, not including 2019-20, the current season):
Goestenkors: 220-25 (89.79 percent)
McCallie: 312-95 (76.65 percent)

ACC RECORD (last 7 years of Gail Goestenkors vs. 12 years of Joanne P. McCallie, not including 2019-20, the current season):
Goestenkors: 98-8 (92.45 percent)
McCallie: 138-48 (74.19 percent)

ACC FINISHES (last 7 years of Gail Goestenkors vs. 12 years of Joanne P. McCallie, not including 2019-20, the current season):
Goestenkors: 6 regular season ACC titles, 4 ACCT championships, 6 years finishing 1st, 1 year finishing 2nd
McCallie: 4 regular season ACC titles, 3 ACCT championships, 4 years finishing 1st, 2 years finishing 2nd, 2 years finishing 3rd, 2 years finishing 4th, 1 year finishing 7th, 1 year finishing 10th

NCAA RECORD (last 7 years of Gail Goestenkors vs. 12 years of Joanne P. McCallie, not including 2019-20, the current season):
Goestenkors: 23-7 (one NCAA runner-up, three Final Fours, five years at least making the Elite Eight, all seven years at least making the Sweet 16)
McCallie: 21-10 (zero Final Fours, four Elite Eights, seven years at least making the Sweet 16, three second round losses, two years missing the NCAAT altogether)

PREVIOUS DECADE ANALYSIS
(Last 10 years of Gail Goestenkors’s tenure vs. 12 years of Joanne P. McCallie, not including 2019-20, the current season)

OVERALL RECORD (last 10 years of Gail Goestenkors vs. 12 years of Joanne P. McCallie, not including 2019-20, the current season):
Goestenkors: 301-46 (86.74 percent)
McCallie: 312-95 (76.65 percent)

ACC RECORD (last 10 years of Gail Goestenkors vs. 12 years of Joanne P. McCallie, not including 2019-20, the current season):
Goestenkors: 138-16 (89.61 percent)
McCallie: 138-48 (74.19 percent)

ACC FINISHES (last 10 years of Gail Goestenkors vs. 12 years of Joanne P. McCallie, not including 2019-20, the current season):
Goestenkors: 8 regular season ACC titles, 5 ACCT championships, 8 years finishing 1st, 2 years finishing 2nd
McCallie: 4 regular season ACC titles, 3 ACCT championships, 4 years finishing 1st, 2 years finishing 2nd, 2 years finishing 3rd, 2 years finishing 4th, 1 year finishing 7th, 1 year finishing 10th

NCAA RECORD (last 10 years of Gail Goestenkors vs. 12 years of Joanne P. McCallie, not including 2019-20, the current season):
Goestenkors: 33-10 (two NCAA runners-up, four Final Fours, seven years at least making the Elite Eight, all ten years at least making the Sweet 16)
McCallie: 21-10 (zero Final Fours, four Elite Eights, seven years at least making the Sweet 16, three second round losses, two years missing the NCAAT altogether)

RANKED OPPONENTS (20th Century Program Assessment)
(Last 7 years of Gail Goestenkors’s tenure vs. 12 years of Joanne P. McCallie, not including 2019-20, the current season)

Against Top 5 Opponents (last 7 years of Gail Goestenkors vs. 12 years of Joanne P. McCallie, not including 2019-20, the current season):
Goestenkors: 15-14 (51.72 percent)
McCallie: 8-36 (18.18 percent)

Against Top 10 Opponents: (last 7 years of Gail Goestenkors vs. 12 years of Joanne P. McCallie, not including 2019-20, the current season):
Goestenkors: 25-14 (64.10 percent)
McCallie: 22-49 (30.98 percent)

Against Ranked Opponents: (last 7 years of Gail Goestenkors vs. 12 years of Joanne P. McCallie, not including 2019-20, the current season):
Goestenkors: 60-20 (80.00 percent)
McCallie: 72-67 (51.79 percent)

RANKED OPPONENTS (Previous Decade Analysis)
(Last 10 years of Gail Goestenkors’s tenure vs. 12 years of Joanne P. McCallie, not including 2019-20, the current season)

Against Top 5 Opponents (last 10 years of Gail Goestenkors vs. 12 years of Joanne P. McCallie, not including 2019-20, the current season):
Goestenkors: 18-18 (50.00 percent)
McCallie: 8-36 (18.18 percent)

Against Top 10 Opponents: (last 10 years of Gail Goestenkors vs. 12 years of Joanne P. McCallie, not including 2019-20, the current season):
Goestenkors: 34-18 (65.38 percent)
McCallie: 22-49 (30.98 percent)

Against Ranked Opponents: (last 10 years of Gail Goestenkors vs. 12 years of Joanne P. McCallie, not including 2019-20, the current season):
Goestenkors: 81-34 (70.43 percent)
McCallie: 72-67 (51.79 percent)

RECENT PROGRAM DIRECTION
(Last 4 years of Joanne P. McCallie, not including 2019-20, the current season)

Looking at Joanne P. McCallie's 12 years at Duke does not take into account the direction of the program, based on the previous four seasons before 2019-20, the current season.

OVERALL RECORD (last 4 years of Joanne P. McCallie, not including 2019-20):
McCallie: 87-53 (67.44 percent)

ACC RECORD (last 4 years of Joanne P. McCallie, not including 2019-20):
McCallie: 38-26 (59.375 percent)

ACC FINISHES (last 4 years of Joanne P. McCallie, not including 2019-20):
McCallie: Zero regular season ACC titles, Zero ACCT championships, Zero years finishing 1st, one year finishing 2nd, one year finishing 4th, one year finishing 7th, one year finishing 10th

NCAA RECORD (last 4 years of Joanne P. McCallie, not including 2019-20):):
McCallie: 3-2 (Zero Final Fours, Zero Elite Eights, one Sweet 16, one Second Round loss, two years missing the NCAAT altogether)

RANKED OPPONENTS
Against Top 5 Opponents (last 4 years of Joanne P. McCallie, not including 2019-20):
McCallie: 1-10 (9.09 percent)

Against Top 10 Opponents: (last 4 years of Joanne P. McCallie, not including 2019-20):
McCallie: 4-16 (20.00 percent)

Against Ranked Opponents: (last 4 years of Joanne P. McCallie, not including 2019-20):
McCallie: 13-24 (35.13 percent)

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
First, thank you @CamrnCrz1974 for your great recap and addition of the last 4 years of the JPM reign. I also would add gas to @Plebe comment that despite an internal investigation into player abuse in April/May of 2016, the AD rewarded her with a contract extension through April of 2021 in August of 2017 making her one of the highest paid women coaches in the game.
So, given the full background of diminishing returns, a significantly more competitive ACC conference, more parity in the sport than when Gail roamed the hardwood at Durham, what can and should Duke do? Is it realistic to expect to get a coach who could win 65-75% of conference games and 80-85% of all games and make this program an mainstay as a top 25 program? Would a non-P5 coach be able to do that? Would the school look to an assistant coach to come in despite no track record? What does Duke want its basketball programs to be?
We all on here love WCBB and want to say, “hell yeah Duke, get back to GG days” but that is not reality. WCBB is still relatively “young at 36 yrs” and NO PROGRAM has shown sustained success beyond 1 coach like the Men’s programs of Kentucky, NC, Louisville or Kansas have.
To me, McCallie has to go, she is getting worse, less competitive, missing top recruits and is not developing or improving her teams during the season. To whom can Duke turn to is the assessment they should start doing now with 16 months to go. The need someone with something of a track record and not 1 year wonders or one recruiting class of players worth of success. That rules out almost all existing P5 coaches as they will stay and blaze their own trail and not live in the shadows of bygone coaches. How and what Texas does in their search (should they do one) should give us insight into what Duke could do. Until May of 2021, I am afraid my rooting interest in North Carolina lies as a Wolfpack and Tar Heel fan...hey at least the Blue Devils are above the Demon Deacons in the State...:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
The nail in the coffin for JPM was when the ACC invited some teams from the OBE (Old Big East) to join the ACC. JP's ACC awards/accolades pretty much ran dry once teams from the OBE arrived.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
The nail in the coffin for JPM was when the ACC invited some teams from the OBE (Old Big East) to join the ACC. JP's ACC awards/accolades pretty much ran dry once teams from the OBE arrived.

I remember being at the 2013 ACC Championship game, seeing our players dancing around, playing in the confetti and balloons,and watching them cut down the nets.... all the while I was thinking...... I'd better enjoy it today, cause it might be a loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong time before I get to see Duke celebrate at the tourney with ND entering the next year, and Louisville in 2015. Looks like I was prophetic :(

CamrnCrz1974

Good Guy for a Dookie
Reaction Score
First, thank you @CamrnCrz1974 for your great recap and addition of the last 4 years of the JPM reign. I also would add gas to @Plebe comment that despite an internal investigation into player abuse in April/May of 2016, the AD rewarded her with a contract extension through April of 2021 in August of 2017 making her one of the highest paid women coaches in the game.

Thank you for the kind words about my post, @DefenseBB .

One quick correction...the investigation was not about player abuse.

The complaint was initiated by Elizabeth Williams, who said no mistreatment was physical or criminal in nature but described the program's atmosphere with McCallie at the helm as "negative." After the investigation was completed, AD Kevin White stated, "The purpose of this evaluation, which Duke Athletics initiated with an outside party, was for Duke women’s basketball to get even better. I have discussed the results at length with Coach McCallie, and we are indeed in a position to improve Duke women’s basketball for present and future student-athletes, coaches, and staff alike."

Last edited:

LETTERL

Pack Leader
Reaction Score
I am perfectly happy with the current pecking order on Tobacco Road. I hope JPM keeps up the good work.

ETA: I will always root for, and hope, Duke WBB finishes ahead of the Evil Empire in Chapel Hill.

Wbbfan1

And That’s The Way It Is
Reaction Score
From what I heard at the time, Finances were a contributing factor in JPM not being released. JPM also had the backing of Coach K. With her contract expiring, this would be an ideal time to replace JPM if the AD and Coach K didn't think she was doing a good job.

DefenseBB

Reaction Score
From what I heard at the time, Finances were a contributing factor in JPM not being released. JPM also had the backing of Coach K. With her contract expiring, this would be an ideal time to replace JPM if the AD and Coach K didn't think she was doing a good job.
Humm, last I checked Coach K was the MEN’S basketball coach, not the AD and certainly should not be offering an opinion about the results of an investigation to which he would not have been involved OR in the know of what happened on a day to day basis. If true, then the AD is even more gutless than I feared. Reigning over his own program contrary to AD protocol (Grayson Allen) is one thing, giving opinions on other school programs is disgraceful and pathetic. Then again having watched Coach K all these years not a surprise based on his history.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom