Downfall of Goodman | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Downfall of Goodman

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
If all publicity is good publicity (as hypothesized by B.T. Barnum) then this is the most brilliant move by Goodman ever.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Engaging was stupid but is finding out who made a documentary really a threat? I'm torn on it.
It's problematic.

Reaction Score
It's problematic.
I mean... sure. But creators getting hate DMs is like internet 101. It's really not a huge deal. If you make provocative things expect provocative responses

CL82

Reaction Score
I mean... sure. But creators getting hate DMs is like internet 101. It's really not a huge deal. If you make provocative things expect provocative responses
Yeah, but those comments really shouldn't be "I'm going find out who you are" particularly if the person making the comment is a media figure. At best, it's a really bad look.

For what it's worth, I think the kid who made this thing has been incredibly savvy. Using Jeff Goodman's douchery against him so publicly is another smart move by him. I agree with @Hans Sprungfeld that the kid should rebrand his efforts in a way that isn't a trademark violation. Personally, I'd like to see more of these. Given his success with the first one I would expect they won't be flattering to the teams they focus on though.

Reaction Score
Goodman has pretty publicly been a Hurley and UConn hater. I don't wish ill-will on anyone, but the guy is just a total and hopefully this whole thing tarnishes his reputation. I actually think the kid who made these films did a pretty decent job and if the Big East were smart they'd be reaching out to the kid to partner with him.

Reaction Score
Yeah, but those comments really shouldn't be "I'm going find out who you are" particularly if the person making the comment is a media figure. At best, it's a really bad look.

For what it's worth, I think the kid who made this thing has been incredibly savvy. Using Jeff Goodman's douchery against him so publicly is another smart move by him. I agree with @Hans Sprungfeld that the kid should rebrand his efforts in a way that isn't a trademark violation. Personally, I'd like to see more of these. Given his success with the first one I would expect they won't be flattering to the teams they focus on though.
The kid made a documentary and put it out there for the world to see. I don't see why saying someone is going to find out who he is, is that big of a deal. Sure if he said he was going to track him down and kick his _ then that's different. It's not like he's just posting on Twitter or Reddit or a message board - most people that make documentaries want the credit. Not wanting credit makes me wonder what the actual motives behind the series are.

The kid would be dumb to not use this to catapult his career, though. He won't get real media figures to participate but he can lean into it and do voice changer shadow interviews with people and parody the situation

CL82

Reaction Score
The kid made a documentary and put it out there for the world to see. I don't see why saying someone is going to find out who he is, is that big of a deal. Sure if he said he was going to track him down and kick his _ then that's different. It's not like he's just posting on Twitter or Reddit or a message board - most people that make documentaries want the credit. Not wanting credit makes me wonder what the actual motives behind the series are.

The kid would be dumb to not use this to catapult his career, though. He won't get real media figures to participate but he can lean into it and do voice changer shadow interviews with people and parody the situation
Shrugs… It's problematic.

Agree, that the kids should leverage their kerfuffle on all this to produce more films. Minimally, he can monetize his YouTube account off of it, but right now he's got a ton of juice so maybe he can do more with it. I like the idea of whomever posted that he should change his name to "Beast Films".

Reaction Score
Shrugs… It's problematic.

Agree, that the kids should leverage their kerfuffle on all this to produce more films. Minimally, he can monetize his YouTube account off of it, but right now he's got a ton of juice so maybe he can do more with it. I like the idea of whomever posted that he should change his name to "Beast Films".
"Big Least Films" or would Charles Barkley come after him for that.

temery

What?
Reaction Score

Those spreading the rumors should be worried if the rumors are not true. The guy lost his job from what I've read.

If I were him, and the rumors are false, I'd be suing everyone involved.

But I don't even know who the hell he is, so I'm just going to follow this trash and see how it unfolds.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
A mainstream media guy privately telling a young amateur documentarian who made a documentary on a niche topic that he’s going to track him down and make sure he either has to pay a lot of money or he might end up in jail is mean spirited and bully behavior. It’s insane.

This.

The more ominous part of it is that Goodman initially tried to finagle the guy’s real name by telling him that he loved the documentary, etc. When he was rebuffed, that’s when he started to mention lawsuits and jail. He was miffed that he wasn’t going to be able to present the guy’s name whoever sent him on that fool’s errand.

He and Dauster are both twits; the gatekeeping they’ve done on a few occasions is embarrassing. They picked a fight with a guy who was a sharper puncher.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Sure it's meanspirited but if you create media then you open yourself up to commentary. Isn't the blue demon guy a sitposter?

Yeah he trolls people all the time. His snippet of Dauster's tweet to him about getting a lawyer was a response because he posted a douchey response on one of Dauster's videos.

Goodman crossed a line, but it seems kind of weird that this kid is complaining about it when he basically invites people to attack him.

Reaction Score
Yeah he trolls people all the time. His snippet of Dauster's tweet to him about getting a lawyer was a response because he posted a douchey response on one of Dauster's videos.

Goodman crossed a line, but it seems kind of weird that this kid is complaining about it when he basically invites people to attack him.
Yeah I don't really get why everyone is rushing to his defense. If Goodman was more likeable I think his actions would be viewed differently

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Those spreading the rumors should be worried if the rumors are not true. The guy lost his job from what I've read.

But I don't even know who the hell he is, so I'm just going to follow this trash and see how it unfolds.

He didn’t lose his job. No one is getting sued here.

This is such a stupid take.

He didn’t get it from some rando; he got it from two principles of one of the larger media outlets in the space.

I used to get random nonsense all the time over the Boneyard. I never cared. Then one time I got a email and then call from a Hartford Courant columnist threatening that if I didn’t remove something about him, I would soon be spending all of my time dealing with Tribune lawyers.

That’s different.

Reaction Score
Yeah I don't really get why everyone is rushing to his defense. If Goodman was more likeable I think his actions would be viewed differently
People are defending him because he made an entertaining film that had absolutely nothing to do with Goodman and Goodman got involved because he's friends with Cooley and it showed Cooley in a negative light.

Reaction Score
Because one visible member of cbb media sent him a DM to lawyer up, and another visible member of cbb media sent DM's to him about how he was going to prison and that he was going to go Liam Neeson on him.

This isn't too difficult.

Reaction Score

What on earth would he sue for? There's no defamation here. What damages are there? No one has lost their job.

Big East Films has a better case for lawsuit than Goodman, Dauster, or Cooley.

Reaction Score
I used to get random nonsense all the time over the Boneyard. I never cared. Then one time I got a email and then call from a Hartford Courant columnist threatening that if I didn’t remove something about him, I would soon be spending all of my time dealing with Tribune lawyers.

That’s different.
That is definitely different because someone was actually threatening legal action against you.

From what I can tell, Goodman was "informing" the doc maker that he heard he was getting sued. That's not really quite the same thing. Goodman is also full of it and I can't believe I find myself defending him because I can't stand him, but I just don't see the same thing in those messages that other people apparently do. Maybe there are messages Im not seeing or some other context that was left out.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
That is definitely different because someone was actually threatening legal action against you.

From what I can tell, Goodman was "informing" the doc maker that he heard he was getting sued. That's not really quite the same thing. Goodman is also full of it and I can't believe I find myself defending him because I can't stand him, but I just don't see the same thing in those messages that other people apparently do. Maybe there are messages Im not seeing or some other context that was left out.

Fair enough.

But if you look at it from the doc maker’s perspective, I think he would take the message much the same way I did.

Reaction Score
Now they Gottlieb up there fanning the flames. He went after PC, UConn and St. John's fans as examples of the worst fans. He thinks the people who made the video are from Providence apparently.

I'm guess DePaul fans are likely not from Providence.
Is Gottlieb not the guy who was prosecuted for credit card theft while on scholarship at Notre Dame?

Reaction Score
Fair enough.

But if you look at it from the doc maker’s perspective, I think he would take the message much the same way I did.
He did know, though. That's why he asked him who his source was - he wanted to know who told Goodman that he was going to be sued. The joke about Dauster is because Dauster told him to lawyer up. I actually see that as more of a threat than Goodman.

And in reality the kid could get sued for using trademarked material and the Big East name. He probably won't, it'll just be perpetually DMCA'd, but you can't just use other people's property or name - especially if it's being monetized.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom