Don't Panic | The Boneyard

Don't Panic

Reaction Score
Look at the cover of your copy of The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy. Right there in bold letters - Don't Panic. Good advice from Douglas Adams. Grab your towel, keep your wits about you and all will be well. If this advice seems almost, but not entirely meaningless, Google will be of help.

The proceeding is meant to soften the following: be prepared for life disruptions that extend farther into the future that we'd rather. CoVid will be around awhile. Maybe it dies back in the summer, maybe not. Maybe it will take a vaccine in a year or so to end it. Maybe large gathering won't be happening this summer or next fall and winter. Maybe there will not be UConn WBB come November. I hope that is not so. I've been wrong often enough to doubt my own thoughts here, but be prepared for a long pause before we can root for and quibble about our favorite team. Just in case.

triaddukefan

Tobacco Road Gastronomer
Reaction Score
Too late...people are already panicking. Went to the grocery store earlier this afternoon to pick up some Ginger Ale and Mayo...... and the parking lot was more full than Ive ever seen it. Inside.... the toilet tissue aisle was cleared out... as well as the bottled water and cleaning supplies. :confused: You'd think a hurricane was bearing down on the Carolina Coast or something. Every cart i saw had multiple packs of tissue and water..... every checkout line was backed up into the aisles. I just looked around in amazement .... as i waited my turn. Asked the cashier if it had been like this all day.. she said yes. Overheard another cashier grumbling that they should get paid time and a half for this. Mind you there have been no positive cases in my county of 540,000 people.

but anyway... at least I got my mayo and ginger ale :cool:

Reaction Score
Too late...people are already panicking. Went to the grocery store earlier this afternoon to pick up some Ginger Ale and Mayo...... and the parking lot was more full than Ive ever seen it. Inside.... the toilet tissue aisle was cleared out... as well as the bottled water and cleaning supplies. :confused: You'd think a hurricane was bearing down on the Carolina Coast or something. Every cart i saw had multiple packs of tissue and water..... every checkout line was backed up into the aisles. I just looked around in amazement .... as i waited my turn. Asked the cashier if it had been like this all day.. she said yes. Overheard another cashier grumbling that they should get paid time and a half for this. Mind you there have been no positive cases in my county of 540,000 people.

but anyway... at least I got my mayo and ginger ale :cool:
Forsyth or Guilford?

Reaction Score
I still don't understand the toilet paper thing. ?????
The idea is that in case you end up in self quarantine, or for what ever reason want to not go out at all that Tyler Phommachanh is one of those things that running out of would be an issue. Having some extra is a good idea, an extra case overkill. I'm

Reaction Score
Just came back from Costco, all toilet papers, flours, rices and instant noodles are gone. Don't know why people are chasing for rices and instant noodles?

Biff

Mega Monster Moderator
Reaction Score
Just came back from Costco, all toilet papers, flours, rices and instant noodles are gone. Don't know why people are chasing for rices and instant noodles?
I think it's simply because of the unknown. WHEN might I need to quarantine? For HOW LONG might I need to quarantine? Things like flour, rices and instant noodles have a tremendous shelf life without the need for refrigeration or other storage needs. Buy them, put them on a shelf and they will be there when and if you need them at some unknown point in the future.

eebmg

Fair and Balanced
Reaction Score
Panic, no but there is plenty to be concerned about.

On the positive side, perhaps the human race will become just a little less selfish as they are forced to at think about others and the public good.

meyers7

You Talkin’ To Me?
Reaction Score
The idea is that in case you end up in self quarantine, or for what ever reason want to not go out at all that Tyler Phommachanh is one of those things that running out of would be an issue. Having some extra is a good idea, an extra case overkill. I'm
But how much toilet paper can you use in a couple weeks, a month???? We buy a case every 2-3 months.

AND, if we did run out of toilet paper, use a wash cloth, or use the shower as a bidet. Food I get, Tyler Phommachanh, one of the least of my worries.

Reaction Score
It's good to buy 3-ply, if self-isolation you can start to peel 1-ply off at a time and get 3X longer time. :D

Reaction Score
I understand stocking up to reduce trips to the store. I get buying cleaning supplies and Tyler Phommachanh to some extent. But what is with the bottled water? It is not a hurricane - you will likely have power and your faucets will work!

BTW, it is psychologically more effective to advise "Stay Calm" rather than "Dont Panic" "Dont Panic" can be psychologically like saying "dont think of a pink elephant". Better to state the affirmative. :)

ETA: Ewww, pick and roll :eek:

msf22b

Maestro
Reaction Score
This thing is going to go on for a while and toilet paper will be back and that aspect will fade...

i'm 80, active, feel young. lots of broken plans...Italy for one...

We Winter in Northern Vt, live in New York City...absolutely can't go back to town now..My son who is around and about town daily is back in the apt. Reason enough. Cancelled last Friday's Dr. appointment.

My immune system is compromised by a season long sinus infection and I'm a prime candidate for the chop if I catch the plague.

So, I'll try not to (catch it)...which doesn't mean living like a hermit...skiing is finished for me this season, but my wife and I like to run around for 20-25 minutes shooting hoops...as soon as it gets a bit warmer.

Hiking in the Whites is safe....our sailboat is in a quiet yard in CT...we usually bring it to City Island and live home...not this year...we'll sail out of Westbrook

I was thinking of sending 3 months in a quiet Island in the Bahamas that I fancy...Spanish Wells...but getting on a plane may be too big a risk

So (for a retired guy) life goes on...just not quite as rich as before, but perfectly acceptable...and no fear...If I get it, it's curtains, so nothing to worry about.

Reaction Score
I remember the first time I spoke with a stockbroker about my trepidation on buying a stock, wondering if it was the right one to buy. His response - "People will always use toilet paper".

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
This thing is going to go on for a while and toilet paper will be back and that aspect will fade...

i'm 80, active, feel young. lots of broken plans...Italy for one...

We Winter in Northern Vt, live in New York City...absolutely can't go back to town now..My son who is around and about town daily is back in the apt. Reason enough. Cancelled last Friday's Dr. appointment.

My immune system is compromised by a season long sinus infection and I'm a prime candidate for the chop if I catch the plague.

So, I'll try not to (catch it)...which doesn't mean living like a hermit...skiing is finished for me this season, but my wife and I like to run around for 20-25 minutes shooting hoops...as soon as it gets a bit warmer.

Hiking in the Whites is safe....our sailboat is in a quiet yard in CT...we usually bring it to City Island and live home...not this year...we'll sail out of Westbrook

I was thinking of sending 3 months in a quiet Island in the Bahamas that I fancy...Spanish Wells...but getting on a plane may be too big a risk

So (for a retired guy) life goes on...just not quite as rich as before, but perfectly acceptable...and no fear...If I get it, it's curtains, so nothing to worry about.
I want to be @msf22b when I grow up.

Reaction Score

They exist at the nexus of “cheap” and “non-perishable” that makes them useful to stock up on in anticipation of an expanded curtailing of movements throughout society.

So basically even if the person is wrong and it wasn’t necessary to buy a month worth of ramen because we never went on extended lockdown and/or they or someone they know never got sick , it won’t go bad in that time and they aren’t out a whole lot of money in the stocking up process.

Reaction Score
I understand stocking up to reduce trips to the store. I get buying cleaning supplies and Tyler Phommachanh to some extent. But what is with the bottled water? It is not a hurricane - you will likely have power and your faucets will work!
The drinking water thing has me stumped too... I don't expect power or water to fail.

fposter,small,wall_texture,product,750x1000.u1.jpg

Bama fan

" As long as you lend a hand"
Reaction Score
Does this stuff scare the crap out of people? Or perhaps it is more economical per square inch than tissues? I think the former is more likely. Someone said that people have **** for brains. ;)

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
My husband and I continue to go to restaurants and we have reservations to go out tonight, too. We are eating outside (ah, Florida) and use hand sanitizer liberally but our routines remain otherwise changed.

At work, were making sure everyone has access to our cloud-based programs and can work from home, if necessary. Life goes on.

From my Facebook page:

2C33D5C1-F00C-4DB9-8975-2DA5C6310E57.jpeg

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom