Donovan Clingan commits to UConn | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Donovan Clingan commits to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.

glastonbury50

You Enjoy Myself
Reaction Score
Sool doing a little recruiting got me thinking. (And I know everyone is in favor of rahsool doing this), but.... I wonder if the staffs of schools ever have to tell kids to back off and let the coaches work their magic.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
genuine question…any thoughts on what our offensive identity will be in the next few years? seems like we have a mix of slow it down (sanogo, clingan) and speed it up (ajax, akok).

talent tends to solve all problems, but not clear what we are going for.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Sool doing a little recruiting got me thinking. (And I know everyone is in favor of rahsool doing this), but.... I wonder if the staffs of schools ever have to te kids to back off and let the coaches work their magic.
Sool was involved with Hawkins, Cj, and Clingan. Kids want to play with him.

Reaction Score
genuine question…any thoughts on what our offensive identity will be in the next few years? seems like we have a mix of slow it down (sanogo, clingan) and speed it up (ajax, akok).

Sanogo can get up and down the court pretty darn well for a guy his size. Johnson has a full court motor, too. I don't think the fast break will suffer much when they are on the court. It going to come down to if they buy into Hurley's defense and executing it. Great defense is often the key for a team that likes to run.
Taliek could start a fast break off an inbounds play, and Scheffer with pretty 60 foot lob passes could do so also. Unless you have a guy like that, it's good defense that will get your guys out and running.

Reaction Score
Not really feeling this pickup too much after hearing reports that he is slow and unathletic white guy who can't shoot but I trust in Dan Hurley. Congrats DC on joining the family and I hope he hits the weight room big time. Is there a chance he red shirts his freshman year to develop more with strength and quickness?

Reaction Score
Not really feeling this pickup too much after hearing reports that he is slow and unathletic white guy who can't shoot but I trust in Dan Hurley. Congrats DC on joining the family and I hope he hits the weight room big time. Is there a chance he red shirts his freshman year to develop more with strength and quickness?
I’m hoping he’ll get here early.

Reaction Score
This is one game I didn't get around to watching earlier this summer. From Memorial Day Weekend

11 PTS
6 REB (2 offensive)
5 AST (4 potential/ 1 foul)

1 TO
0 STL
4 BLK

5/7 2FG
3FG
1/2 FT

• His team plays A LOT of zone to protect Donovan from fouls from the smaller guys. That will be an adjustment. We’ll definitely need to scheme to protect him from quicker players blowing by him on defense. No blitzing the screen… possibly zones.
  • I don’t think he’s much of a shooter at all yet, but the form doesn’t look bad. I think it’s possible with a year or two work.
  • Passing is clearly his best attribute. Probably a better passing big than we’ve had in years on day 1… maybe ever by the time he’s done. Have we ever had a big who could pass it well? He sometimes is looking for the pass TOO much instead of just slamming the ball as soon as he touches it.
  • Post-up skills are not advanced… very limited. Doesn’t have a good feel for how to use his body and create angles. Doesn’t even know how to get his shot off a lot of the time. Seems to me like dunks and working on a jump shot are probably his best bet on offense. Work on developing basic post up package to start. I just want to see a jump hook with the right hand and an up and under counter. I hope Sanogo is around in 2022 to kick his ass in practice down low.
  • FT form doesn’t look bad. Seems to be shooting around 60% in games I’ve seen. I think that should increase with reps and high quality coaching at the college level.
Rebound
Mikey Williams, Chris Livingston, and WACG vs. Donovan Clingan and Team Spartans

GREAT pass for poster
Mikey Williams, Chris Livingston, and WACG vs. Donovan Clingan and Team Spartans

Potential assist

Potential assist

Board

Missed long 2

Rebound? TO? I can’t tell… just calling it a block after.

TO

Missed post up

Board and an assist

Board

I think a block… frame by frame view looks like he does get a piece late

Dunk

That one is definitely a block

Assist

Another assist

Board

Oop

Board

Potential assist
https://youtu.be/Lmp3FdHioog?t=2842

Ugly post move… foul assist
https://youtu.be/Lmp3FdHioog?t=2863

Forcing 3 w/ pretty good D
https://youtu.be/Lmp3FdHioog?t=2997

Potential assist
https://youtu.be/Lmp3FdHioog?t=3294

Block
https://youtu.be/Lmp3FdHioog?t=3390

Dunk on the other end
https://youtu.be/Lmp3FdHioog?t=3398

Dunk
https://youtu.be/Lmp3FdHioog?t=3785

Offensive board and the putback
https://youtu.be/Lmp3FdHioog?t=3837

Reaction Score
I’m hoping he’ll get here early.
Yeah to improve physically in with the Strength coach. He surely needs it from what I have seen. I prefer athletic big guys for Dan's system who can shoot a little but sounds like some are big on him so I will wait to see what we have before final verdict.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
genuine question…any thoughts on what our offensive identity will be in the next few years?
Awesome Sam Didier GIF by Jerology

Reaction Score
Sanogo has good footwork, I hope he’s still here for him. That is a nice combo down low.

Reaction Score
Sanogo has good footwork, I hope he’s still here for him. That is a nice combo down low.
I think it might be a little too slow to play them together at the same time. I prefer Clinigan to back him up at first.

Reaction Score

Two things Clingan does very well: rebound and pass. Rebound the ball, outlet to a guard who is running down the court. Team scores before he gets to half court. There's your fast break.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom