Donovan Clingan commits to UConn | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Donovan Clingan commits to UConn

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Way too early to project, and I have not seen him in person, only on the tapes from the BY.

Does he remind anyone of UConn players from the past? Like the passing of Voskuhl, or the rebounding of Kimball, the running the floor of any other big who has played here?

Voskuhl was a great screener so will he develop that skill?

I don't remember much about Slomcenski or Kuczenski so not sure if his skill sets resemble theirs or if his potential is greater.

Reaction Score
Sorry to have my first negative opinion on a Hurley recruit. I'll make sure to puff nothing but sunshine and rainbows on everybody to help you feel better.

Nope. This is not you being persecuted for being honest.

Saying that a big needs a lot of development to have an impact? Sure. That’s true for all but at most a handful of bigs a year. But actually wondering if the young man will have a D-1 impact? Yeah, that’s reasonable. Because ithe odds are good that you have your pulse on limitations that the coaching staffs at Michigan, Syracuse, Ohio State and UConn all missed.

Or, you thinking that you have your pulse on limitations that the staffs of at least four normally ranked programs missed is such a ludicrous proposition that maybe you’d show restraint in sharing that “opinion.” Even if it is an honest one.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
This is one game I didn't get around to watching earlier this summer. From Memorial Day Weekend

11 PTS
6 REB (2 offensive)
5 AST (4 potential/ 1 foul)

1 TO
0 STL
4 BLK

5/7 2FG
3FG
1/2 FT

• His team plays A LOT of zone to protect Donovan from fouls from the smaller guys. That will be an adjustment. We’ll definitely need to scheme to protect him from quicker players blowing by him on defense. No blitzing the screen… possibly zones.
  • I don’t think he’s much of a shooter at all yet, but the form doesn’t look bad. I think it’s possible with a year or two work.
  • Passing is clearly his best attribute. Probably a better passing big than we’ve had in years on day 1… maybe ever by the time he’s done. Have we ever had a big who could pass it well? He sometimes is looking for the pass TOO much instead of just slamming the ball as soon as he touches it.
  • Post-up skills are not advanced… very limited. Doesn’t have a good feel for how to use his body and create angles. Doesn’t even know how to get his shot off a lot of the time. Seems to me like dunks and working on a jump shot are probably his best bet on offense. Work on developing basic post up package to start. I just want to see a jump hook with the right hand and an up and under counter. I hope Sanogo is around in 2022 to kick his ass in practice down low.
  • FT form doesn’t look bad. Seems to be shooting around 60% in games I’ve seen. I think that should increase with reps and high quality coaching at the college level.
Rebound
Mikey Williams, Chris Livingston, and WACG vs. Donovan Clingan and Team Spartans

GREAT pass for poster
Mikey Williams, Chris Livingston, and WACG vs. Donovan Clingan and Team Spartans

Potential assist

Potential assist

Board

Missed long 2

Rebound? TO? I can’t tell… just calling it a block after.

TO

Missed post up

Board and an assist

Board

I think a block… frame by frame view looks like he does get a piece late

Dunk

That one is definitely a block

Assist

Another assist

Board

Oop

Board

Potential assist

Ugly post move… foul assist

Forcing 3 w/ pretty good D

Potential assist

Block

Dunk on the other end

Dunk

Offensive board and the putback

Not sure of raw numbers but in terms of back to the basket 5's at UConn I still go with Jake Voskuhl and Travis Knight for best feel for the game and passing ability. Emeka became real good before he left and as a fan you could see him go from more mechanical to more of feel and anticipation.

Reaction Score
I don’t think anyone here thought we were signing SHAQ, good grief at some of these comments. He’s not Top 10 but he’s no slouch either. Wont play 25 mpg as a frosh but he will certainly contribute ,and we all know he will make conditioning and strength improvements as soon ad he arrives (early as we all hope).

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Two things Clingan does very well: rebound and pass. Rebound the ball, outlet to a guard who is running down the court. Team scores before he gets to half court. There's your fast break.

If he can become a very good outlet passer that will be massive for UConn's fast break. Having our bigs grab a board and then wait to hand the ball off to a guard has killed the team recently for transition lethality. That and having guards and wings be leading rebounders.

YearoftheHusky

Name checks out.
Reaction Score
Perfect.
I don't want to be that guy, just watched his highlights for the first time playing against New Britain (I think?) and he has so much work to do. I'm honestly not sure why he's ranked as highly as he is besides the fact that he's 7'1. He may be even rawer than Javonte Brown. The fact he's playing in LL and doesn't look dominant on tape when his competition is probably 6'4 maybe 6'6 if the team is lucky at the most is concerning.
“I don’t to be that guy.” Goes on to be exactly that guy.

Reaction Score
With the team speed and athletes that DC will have surrounding him in Storrs--Combined with his rebounding and passing skills--All the pieces will be in place for a dynamic fast breaking team when needed.

Once he grows into his body and improves his foot speed and his strength in the weight room.. He'll be a mismatch nightmare for opposing teams.

2 down -2 to go for 2022.

Reaction Score
With the team speed and athletes that DC will have surrounding him in Storrs--Combined with his rebounding and passing skills--All the pieces will be in place for a dynamic fast breaking team when needed.

Once he grows into his body and improves his foot speed and his strength in the weight room.. He'll be a mismatch nightmare for opposing teams.

2 down -2 to go for 2022.

Karaban and a guard? I’m assuming Flip is long gone

Reaction Score
Love to have Clingan. Lot of developing to do but at his size he can be a game breaking player.

Hoping we add Karaban and Epps (solely to laugh at Providence).

Reaction Score
There is 0% he’ll redshirt. Kids a stud. This is not to say that he’ll be as impactful
As Dickinson was at Michigan, but he seems like a very similar player. Very intelligent, great passing big who can let the game come
To him
Excellent. Can’t wait to see him play. Been pulling for him like many others. I live 15 minutes from BCHS, missed his live games last year due to COVID. Looking forward to watching him develop during his senior year and beyond. Team Hurley getting the job done

Reaction Score
Not really feeling this pickup too much after hearing reports that he is slow and unathletic white guy who can't shoot but I trust in Dan Hurley. Congrats DC on joining the family and I hope he hits the weight room big time. Is there a chance he red shirts his freshman year to develop more with strength and quickness?
Hey Buzz, welcome to the thread

Reaction Score
So in HS he doesn't need the footwork and skill to score that he will against bigger players here. How many slow white big men torched us in the past? You can't teach his height and size. Hasn't even developed through his senior year, in 16 months how much more muscle will he have? Could be a lot.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Soooo he's a bigger Tyler Olander? I'm hoping the staff can coach him up to be a productive player for us.
I forget, how many national championships did Tyler Olander win again?

(But he’s not Tyler. As a high school kid he has better footwork and is a better finisher.)

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
Sanogo can get up and down the court pretty darn well for a guy his size. Johnson has a full court motor, too. I don't think the fast break will suffer much when they are on the court. It going to come down to if they buy into Hurley's defense and executing it. Great defense is often the key for a team that likes to run.
Taliek could start a fast break off an inbounds play, and Scheffer with pretty 60 foot lob passes could do so also. Unless you have a guy like that, it's good defense that will get your guys out and running.
But nobody can start fast breaks like a big man who brings down every defensive rebound with his eyes scanning down court and his arm cocked. It's gotta be instinctive. Like Unseld and Russell.

Last edited:

Exit 4

This space for rent
Reaction Score
Pulling in Clingan is huge....if for none other reason than for saving us from the psychological damage had such a talented kid decided to leave the state and pass on the momentum Hurley has building.

Excited to see what happens next.

RichZ

Fort the ead!
Reaction Score
You mean like I tell my Grandkids I once got in a pick up game against Calvin Murphy?
I once SAW him in a pickup game when he was like 14 or 15, and he was playing against college kids. Maybe not high level level college kids, but still. The thing that stood out to me was that he could could dribble like a globetrotter -- weave through the defense without ever mishandling or losing the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom