2022 Recruiting: - Donovan Clingan (BCHS) | Page 3 | The Boneyard

2022 Recruiting: Donovan Clingan (BCHS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It seems like some of y’all are overly invested in this kid. Maybe I’m wrong but I didn’t take what was said offensively or blasphemous.

If you play in a private league, you get more exposure, play better competition, etc.

You CAN do it from a public school, but is it the most common/advisable route? Prob. Not. Maybe I’m wrong but that’s how I interpreted what was said...

Reaction Score
It seems like some of y’all are overly invested in this kid. Maybe I’m wrong but I didn’t take what was said offensively or blasphemous.

If you play in a private league, you get more exposure, play better competition, etc.

You CAN do it from a public school, but is it the most common/advisable route? Prob. Not. Maybe I’m wrong but that’s how I interpreted what was said...
Yes, you and everyone else with a reasonable mind interpreted it this way

Reaction Score
Who said he was slow and beat by an extremely slow 6 ft 4 guy? Again, research. All online. And the guy that posted that slow remark? You clearly are NOT someone that should be listened to

I watched him play 4x. I didn't look at anything online--looked at the notes in my scouting notes folder on Drive. There are no "facts" when it comes to basketball recruiting for anyone posting here. Unless we're talking stats. I did see him have one bad game vs a smaller player. The best recruiting path is up for debate, but people I trust in the coaching profession have advised me on the direction for very talented kids to go and it's never been to avoid higher-level opportunities for any reason.

Judging by the personal tone you're taking from this and the low post ##, I'd have to think you are somehow a lot more invested with this kid's future than I am. So I'll stick with the short version of what I said before, and what I would say to any player of mine or his parents in the same position:

He is a very, very talented basketball player with some gifts on the court that most will never sniff. His development (!!) and exposure will likely suffer if he does not transfer to another school. And this completely disregards the academic benefits a number of local preps could provide.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Judging by the personal tone you're taking from this and the low post ##, I'd have to think you are somehow a lot more invested with this kid's future than I am. So I'll stick with the short version of what I said before, and what I would say to any player of mine or his parents in the same position:

He is a very, very talented basketball player with some gifts on the court that most will never sniff. His development (!!) and exposure will suffer if he does not transfer to another school. And this completely disregards the academic benefits a number of local preps could provide.
All 12 posts of his posts are in this thread, so you would be correct. And besides the point, he's completely misinterpreting your posts

Reaction Score
Thanks for info. Please continue to post any other info you have on Donovan or any other potential UConn recruits. I do not know Donovan, but know some members of his family. I am rooting for him hard.
My original post was to make people aware of a 6'11 3/4"(15 year old) player from Bristol, with potential to be a bigtime player.
Again from what I heard from very reliable sources, is that his current plan is to stay at BCHS for all 4 years.
Is that his best move, I have no idea. But if he continues to excell on AAU circuit, he will have no problems fonding a division 1 scholarship.
This was the only point I was trying to make when I pushed back on the husky429 comments. He decided to start throwing out insults because of a different opinion.

Reaction Score
Which league is better? The SCC is probably the only other one an argument could be made for.

Private schools in a public league are always going to be the exception. Because they recruit from wherever they please. Same with a select few public schools, such as Windsor, who recruit the best local kids and practically operate as a private school. Even at schools like Windsor, kids aren't getting the offers you might otherwise expect. See Corey Mckeithan's offers vs. his performance on the UAA circuit.

You're not even making an effort to refute my argument though. You're just nitpicking the language. I am specifically talking about 1 player going to Bristol Central HS. He is ABSOLUTELY, with 100% certainty, going to impact his development and recruitment if he stays at BCHS. He's not at East, St. Joe's or SH is he? I wouldn't be against him going to a school like those, even if I think he may be good enough to get to a better school. Many kids will stay 2 years, reclass, and go to a private. I would expect the same from him.
EJ Crawford

Reaction Score
This was the only point I was trying to make when I pushed back on the husky429 comments. He decided to start throwing out insults because of a different opinion.
That's why the privates (Cath. Sch) should have there own league. They can recruit- not an even playing field BUT CIAC let's them get away with it.

Reaction Score
I really hope the admins either A)Lock this redundant thread now or B) make the decision to keep it open through this talented kids entire HS career so we can continually throw back and forward opinions and “told ya so’s”

Reaction Score
That's why the privates (Cath. Sch) should have there own league. They can recruit- not an even playing field BUT CIAC let's them get away with it.
CIAC is way behind in creativity and progression when you compare football/basketball to surrounding states

Reaction Score
I watched him play 4x. I didn't look at anything online--looked at the notes in my scouting notes folder on Drive. There are no "facts" when it comes to basketball recruiting for anyone posting here. Unless we're talking stats. I did see him have one bad game vs a smaller player. The best recruiting path is up for debate, but people I trust in the coaching profession have advised me on the direction for very talented kids to go and it's never been to avoid higher-level opportunities for any reason.

He is a very, very talented basketball player with some gifts on the court that most will never sniff. His development (!!) and exposure will likely suffer if he does not transfer to another school. And this completely disregards the academic benefits a number of local preps could provide.

Well said. Your posts about young players and their development have always been solid but I think some took your recommendations as criticism. This post should clear up any misperceptions they may have had about your intent.

Having said that, it's been a while since we've had a big kid from this state, that young, who seems to already be well coordinated and able to run down a layup.
Hopefully our coaches will be on him and offer advice (if asked and it's not against some arcane NCAA rule) on how best to prepare him for the future. Could he be another Tyler or better?

Reaction Score
Well said. Your posts about young players and their development have always been solid but I think some took your recommendations as criticism. This post should clear up any misperceptions they may have had about your intent.

Having said that, it's been a while since we've had a big kid from this state, that young, who seems to already be well coordinated and able to run down a layup.
Hopefully our coaches will be on him and offer advice (if asked and it's not against some arcane NCAA rule) on how best to prepare him for the future. Could he be another Tyler or better?

Tyler and his brother are actually probably good examples of kids that could have benefitted developmentally from a program with better facilities/coaching. You don't get much skills coaching in AAU compared to hs. Tyler also didn't play much AAU to be fair--not sure about his brother. I think only one season with BABC.

I wasn't in coaching when Tyler was young, but I am pretty sure Donovan is a lot better. From what I saw he seems bigger and faster already. One of the big reasons why I'd like to see him at a prep.. not sure he gets recruited by UConn if he doesn't transfer. Tyler was very much an exception to the norm.

F

FanMan

I know his father, and I have seen so many negative comments about his play and not too may positives on here. He's 15!!!! He just received a HUGE amount of attention by going to 1 camp that came about through AAU, not high school. I put those posts up there to show that he IS a good player and continues to improve exponentially. Now would prep/private be better? Absolutely, but that doesn't mean he isn't playing top talent. High school is 20 games, he's played triple the games against top AAU talent in may other states since the high school season ended. I believe he's earned a little more respect than he is receiving

Reaction Score
Listed at 6’10 this past weekend and made an all star team for the HoopGroup tournament he was in.

I’d think he’ll end up at a prep school too. Especially at his size, he needs to play against better talent than CCC teams.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
I know his father, and I have seen so many negative comments about his play and not too may positives on here. He's 15!!!! He just received a HUGE amount of attention by going to 1 camp that came about through AAU, not high school. I put those posts up there to show that he IS a good player and continues to improve exponentially. Now would prep/private be better? Absolutely, but that doesn't mean he isn't playing top talent. High school is 20 games, he's played triple the games against top AAU talent in may other states since the high school season ended. I believe he's earned a little more respect than he is receiving

I don't think anyone is disrespecting Donovan at all. People that are commenting on his playing situation are talking about what's best for his development, not at all a knock on his talent level or accomplishments so far.

F

FanMan

Insults?

Reaction Score
Listed at 6’10 this past weekend and made an all star team for the HoopGroup tournament he was in.

I’d think he’ll end up at a prep school too. Especially at his size, he needs to play against better talent than CCC teams.

Does anybody know much about the talent level of this tournament, or know what types of prospects any of those other players are?

Reaction Score
I don't think anyone is disrespecting Donovan at all. People that are commenting on his playing situation are talking about what's best for his development, not at all a knock on his talent level or accomplishments so far.
I hope Hurley has already checked him out. You can play at BCHS and play in college and beyond.

Mr. French

Tremendous Individual
Reaction Score
Does anybody know much about the talent level of this tournament, or know what types of prospects any of those other players are?
Multiple five stars on that list, but 2022 rankings are far from concrete

Roddy Gayle is a kid I've seen a bunch and coached against. Probably a mid major type but tough to say - mostly local offers so far but tons of talent and athleticism.

Was originally at Niagara Falls (Paul Harris / Jonny Flynn alma mater) with 2 other D-1 kids as an 8th grader, but they all split up in the last 2 years.

uconnbill

A Half full kind of guy
Reaction Score
When your research is limited to High School games.....no matter prep...private...or whatever....and do NOT include AAU, which IS the way to get exposure, whether you believe or not, you will not be successful. AAU gets the kids to the real exposure events. You ALL do know that Donovan plays on an AAU team with Matt Curtiss right. And this AAU team went to Vegas and beat Bronnys team.without Donovan and Matt. They also beat Damian Lillards team in Alabama....but hey, all of you got something to say....but NO real facts. I'm sorry but I HAVE experienced and witnessed what goes on in ALL of it...I wish the ciac would get MORE involved with ALL aspects of exposure for these young men.....but I don't see it ever happening.

I agree as the CIAC has hurt sports overall in the state over the last number of years. I am not a fan of the CIAC.

Reaction Score
You don't think a kid playing games against better competition makes him more likely to improve? At schools with higher level coaching and better facilities? oh boy.

He won't be "closing doors?" is just nuts man. But whatever. Offense not taken. Your opinion is just incorrect. All good though--agree to disagree.
I'll just use recent history for you ...… Ja Morant

Reaction Score
Do you think one exception disproves a rule?
It was 1 single example, I'm not going to spend my Saturday looking at every single player on NBA Rosters to see where they played HS, but I'm sure there are plenty that didn't go to Prep Schools. So many narrow minded posters on the BY. Sometimes we need to agree to disagree.

Reaction Score

Who are you agreeing with? Ja had NO exposure so he had to go to Murray St.... idk the argument being made here. He was under recruited

Reaction Score

Because one example proves a rule. There are others though. Less likely doesn't mean impossible. I'm not sure how hard this is to get

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom