2022 Recruiting: - Donovan Clingan (BCHS) | The Boneyard

2022 Recruiting: Donovan Clingan (BCHS)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Donovan Clingan played at BCHS last year as a 6'8" freshman and averaged approximately 23 pts , 18 rebounds and 5 blocks per game. I know his Uncles and was with one of them today. He stated that Donovan was measured yesterday at 6' 11 3/4". His Mom was a BCHS high school standout and played ( started) 4 years at Maine, where they made the NCAA tourney 3 of those years. She was 6'5". Unfortunately she passed away this past year. She was a great athlete but even a better person. She is definitely missed by her family and the whole Bristol community.

I watched Donovan play last year. He has a slightly slim build, but would not call him weak. But just like any 15 year old he needs to gain strength. He is not an incredible athlete, but very coordinated. He finishes with both hands and handles the ball well for his size. Scored most of his baskets from 5' and in, so did not see him take any mid or long range shots. Good foul shooter with a good touch, so I believe he easily can become a solid mid range shooter.

Have no idea if UConn is involved, but thought it was something The Boneyard would be interested in. Being from Bristol, I would love to see him playing for The Huskies.

Reaction Score
He has a lot to prove but is definitely a player to watch. Coached against him this year--I am almost positive I know the player you're referring to. Those stats don't mean too much in a public league vs pretty crappy team.

When scouting I saw him get cooked vs a laughably slow 6'4 kid from the boonies that can't touch the rim. Another game he dominated.

He needs to get to a NEPSAC asap if he wants to do anything basketball-wise. Either way I wouldn't really expect him at a UConn level program unless he makes some major strides.

Reaction Score
He has a lot to prove but is definitely a player to watch. Coached against him this year--I am almost positive I know the player you're referring to. Those stats don't mean too much in a public league vs pretty crappy team.

When scouting I saw him get cooked vs a laughably slow 6'4 kid from the boonies that can't touch the rim. Another game he dominated.

He needs to get to a NEPSAC asap if he wants to do anything basketball-wise. Either way I wouldn't really expect him at a UConn level program unless he makes some major strides.
At this point I agree that he may not be a UConn level recruit. But he is 15 years old and and grew almost 4" this past and is a 1/4" shy of 7'. He may end up being 7'2" or taller. When I watched it was vs bad competition. But he showed signs that he can be a good player. Good hands, finished with both hands, handled ball well, good touch from foul line.
I have been told that he will not be leaving BCHS. Will be there 4 years and not transfer to a prep school.
I think he is someone we should watch to see how he develops. He is very close to his family, so if UConn was interested there would be a good chance he would stay close to home.

Reaction Score
At this point I agree that he may not be a UConn level recruit. But he is 15 years old and and grew almost 4" this past and is a 1/4" shy of 7'. He may end up being 7'2" or taller. When I watched it was vs bad competition. But he showed signs that he can be a good player. Good hands, finished with both hands, handled ball well, good touch from foul line.
I have been told that he will not be leaving BCHS. Will be there 4 years and not transfer to a prep school.
I think he is someone we should watch to see how he develops. He is very close to his family, so if UConn was interested there would be a good chance he would stay close to home.

He is 100% not make a high-major D1 if he doesn't leave Bristol Central. It will be a complete and utter shame if he doesn't.

Honestly, if you know the family well enough, you should he in their ear about a prep. I usually mention to parents that the education is way better. Forget about the basketball. If you get an opportunity to get a diploma for free from a private school, you take it. That's a what, 50k education per year at some places?

ANY decent high school coach is telling this kid to get into a better school. If his coach isn't he's a selfish twerp. I have encouraged kids to move on from my AAU team, to focus on other sports, or go to another high school when it is in their best interest. If you care about the kids, you do what's best for them first and the team second every time.

Reaction Score
As of right now there are no plans on leaving BCHS. I believe they started 2 freshman and 2 sophmores and they are very close. One of the sophmores is the principles son.

Reaction Score
As of right now there are no plans on leaving BCHS. I believe they started 2 freshman and 2 sophmores and they are very close. One of the sophmores is the principles son.

Who coaches the Rams these days???

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Pls enlighten: B = Bridgeport? Central High School? Bristol? Bridgeport are Hilltoppers, Bristol are Rams.

Reaction Score
CCC great league- Simsbury EJ Crawford (Iona) example of players who have moved on to D 1. Hope this young man developes and stays to play at UConn. Will be looking for him this winter.

Reaction Score

BS CCC excellent very competitive basketball league. Hall WE HA standout walk on at UCONN and could play there if given the opportunity.

Reaction Score
BS CCC excellent very competitive basketball league. Hall WE HA standout walk on at UCONN and could play there if given the opportunity.

Yes. The CCC is the best public school league in the state. I am quite aware of this. I coach in it for Christ's sake.

I am aware that Dan Brocke played for Hall. I coached against the kid. He is also a WALK ON and not on scholarship at a d2 or d1 for a reason. He wasn't good enough.

An ALL STATE public player couldn't get a scholarship.

No team in the CCC except for East and Windsor in a good year are sniffing a competitive game with nepsac school. Players are at a severe disadvantage coming out of public school leagues if they want to play in college. Even d3.

You don't know the state of modern hs basketball if you honestly think that a high-level player is maximizing their potential at a middling CCC program.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Yes. The CCC is the best public school league in the state. I am quite aware of this. I coach in it for Christ's sake.

I am aware that Dan Brocke played for Hall. I coached against the kid. He is also a WALK ON and not on scholarship at a d2 or d1 for a reason. He wasn't good enough.

An ALL STATE public player couldn't get a scholarship.

No team in the CCC except for East and Windsor in a good year are sniffing a competitive game with nepsac school. Players are at a severe disadvantage coming out of public school leagues if they want to play in college. Even d3.

You don't know the state of modern hs basketball if you honestly think that a high-level player is maximizing their potential at a middling CCC program.
The idea that a kid from a public school can’t get a big time D1 scholarship is quite an overstatement. Most kids choose to leave but that’s not why they are D 1 players, if they put it the work they can get there from public school

Reaction Score
The idea that a kid from a public school can’t get a big time D1 scholarship is quite an overstatement. Most kids choose to leave but that’s not why they are D 1 players, if they put it the work they can get there from public school

But that's not really true. A player can be extremely talented, but not be noticed by coaches in a public school league. Recruiting isn't as simple as "be good at basketball," particularly for mid- and low-major players.

They will not develop as much playing against inferior talent. It is VERY hard to judge recruits playing against less-than-exceptional or similarly ranked players as well. This isn't a NJ or NYC public school--it's the CCC. And this is all particularly true for bigs--it's easy to dominate 6'4 centers in the CCC. Different story at any higher level of basketball.

I run my mouth waayyyy too much on this board. But this is one topic I doubt many on this board are more familiar with than me. If you're not at Windsor, Hillhouse, or a private school in a public league, you're gonna have a tough time getting much better than D3 interest for the reasons listed above.

Let me repeat for emphasis: A coach worth his salt does what is best for the kids, including encouraging them to go to a school or program that is academically and athletically appropriate for them, even at their own programs' detriment. Coach Barrette at BCHS seems like a good guy but I don't know him that well; if he cares about his athletes future's he will have or has had a talk with this family.

C

Chief00

Chief’s going to keep it real. The CIAC made a decision years ago to protect the reputation of the majority of their coaches, limit practice time and to protect kids from brutal soul searching loses.

This is the result - the serious, competitive players leave.

Reaction Score
But that's not really true. A player can be extremely talented, but not be noticed by coaches in a public school league. Recruiting isn't as simple as "be good at basketball," particularly for mid- and low-major players.

They will not develop as much playing against inferior talent. It is VERY hard to judge recruits playing against less-than-exceptional or similarly ranked players as well. This isn't a NJ or NYC public school--it's the CCC. And this is all particularly true for bigs--it's easy to dominate 6'4 centers in the CCC. Different story at any higher level of basketball.

I run my mouth waayyyy too much on this board. But this is one topic I doubt many on this board are more familiar with than me. If you're not at Windsor, Hillhouse, or a private school in a public league, you're gonna have a tough time getting much better than D3 interest for the reasons listed above.

Let me repeat for emphasis: A coach worth his salt does what is best for the kids, including encouraging them to go to a school or program that is academically and athletically appropriate for them, even at their own programs' detriment. Coach Barrette at BCHS seems like a good guy but I don't know him that well; if he cares about his athletes future's he will have or has had a talk with this family.
First you said the CCC is the best public league in the state which I don’t find to be true, then u hedged and said the private schools in the public league can be an exception. Which is smart because trinity st joes sacred heart etc have had plenty of D1 kids. So the idea that if your not going to st Thomas more or Kent u can’t get a big time offer just seems to be an overstatement to me.

Reaction Score
First you said the CCC is the best public league in the state which I don’t find to be true, then u hedged and said the private schools in the public league can be an exception. Which is smart because trinity st joes sacred heart etc have had plenty of D1 kids. So the idea that if your not going to st Thomas more or Kent u can’t get a big time offer just seems to be an overstatement to me.

Which league is better? The SCC is probably the only other one an argument could be made for.

Private schools in a public league are always going to be the exception. Because they recruit from wherever they please. Same with a select few public schools, such as Windsor, who recruit the best local kids and practically operate as a private school. Even at schools like Windsor, kids aren't getting the offers you might otherwise expect. See Corey Mckeithan's offers vs. his performance on the UAA circuit.

You're not even making an effort to refute my argument though. You're just nitpicking the language. I am specifically talking about 1 player going to Bristol Central HS. He is ABSOLUTELY, with 100% certainty, going to impact his development and recruitment if he stays at BCHS. He's not at East, St. Joe's or SH is he? I wouldn't be against him going to a school like those, even if I think he may be good enough to get to a better school. Many kids will stay 2 years, reclass, and go to a private. I would expect the same from him.

Reaction Score
Which league is better? The SCC is probably the only other one an argument could be made for.

Private schools in a public league are always going to be the exception. Because they recruit from wherever they please. Same with a select few public schools, such as Windsor, who recruit the best local kids and practically operate as a private school. Even at schools like Windsor, kids aren't getting the offers you might otherwise expect. See Corey Mckeithan's offers vs. his performance on the UAA circuit.

You're not even making an effort to refute my argument though. You're just nitpicking the language. I am specifically talking about 1 player going to Bristol Central HS. He is ABSOLUTELY, with 100% certainty, going to impact his development and recruitment if he stays at BCHS. He's not at East, St. Joe's or SH is he? I wouldn't be against him going to a school like those, even if I think he may be good enough to get to a better school. Many kids will stay 2 years, reclass, and go to a private. I would expect the same from him.
My issue was the generalization of public high schools and scholarship offers. Because all those kids transfer we don’t know if they would have gotten similar offers anyway. Only kid I know a bit about the situation was Enoch because I’m from Norwalk. He was getting interest before transferring out of NHS, he was raw but many thought similar offers were on the way because of his summer stock. Do you have an example of kids who didn’t transfer and were hurt by it?

Reaction Score
My issue was the generalization of public high schools and scholarship offers. Because all those kids transfer we don’t know if they would have gotten similar offers anyway. Only kid I know a bit about the situation was Enoch because I’m from Norwalk. He was getting interest before transferring out of NHS, he was raw but many thought similar offers were on the way because of his summer stock. Do you have an example of kids who didn’t transfer and were hurt by it?
But... he did transfer. As one of those former 6'4" CCC centers husky429 is talking about I can tell you this kid is 100% going to be hurt by not transferring to a prep or private. If he really is measuring in at 7 ft as a sophomore I honestly find it hard to believe his family wouldn't want him to make that move.

Reaction Score
But... he did transfer. As one of those former 6'4" CCC centers husky429 is talking about I can tell you this kid is 100% going to be hurt by not transferring to a prep or private. If he really is measuring in at 7 ft as a sophomore I honestly find it hard to believe his family wouldn't want him to make that move.
So he won’t get a D 1 offer from a big time program because he’s in a public school?

Reaction Score
So he won’t get a D 1 offer from a big time program because he’s in a public school?

Where has anyone said he won't get a d1 offer? Or any offer for that matter. Straw man argument here.

The point is that 1) you can get better offers from better schools simply because of exposure at a private or prep; 2) he will develop more and become a better player going up against higher-level competition (and playing more games) at a prep.

I shouldn't be shocked by how obtuse people are on the yard. I am one of them half the time. But I am. Good grief. What an ignoramus

The vast majority if high level recruits leave home for a reason. It's the right thing to do!

Reaction Score
Where has anyone said he won't get a d1 offer? Or any offer for that matter. Straw man argument here.

The point is that 1) you can get better offers from better schools simply because of exposure at a private or prep; 2) he will develop more and become a better player going up against higher-level competition (and playing more games) at a prep.

I shouldn't be shocked by how obtuse people are on the yard. I am one of them half the time. But I am. Good grief. What an ignoramus

The vast majority if high level recruits leave home for a reason. It's the right thing to do!
A private school in the public league offers the same amount of exposure as the regular public school. My point was that if a kid chooses for whatever reason to stay at his home school it is not the end of his chances to be an elite player at the next level which when reading your original post was what I perceived you as saying.
I could do without the name calling but do ur thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom