Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money. | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Dom Amore: If Big 12 calls, UConn will have to choose between Big East love and Power Five money.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Fetch Mean Girls GIF by Paramount Movies
Well played.

Reaction Score
I wonder if the ACC would make a preemptive offer to us? It seems like it would be the smart play. If I recall correctly their ESPN deal has an auto bump up for new members. If the choice is full share a cc or partial share big 12 which way do we go?

Probably Big 12, but it would be tempting to think about the ACC. I'd rather play those teams if everything was equal.
ACC source on record last week said expansion is not the answer because "it's more mouths to feed". Sounded to me that they would expand if a new member took a significantly reduced amount til 2036 to make others happy. Not the situation i want to see UConn in.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
ACC source on record last week said expansion is not the answer because "it's more mouths to feed". Sounded to me that they would expand if a new member took a significantly reduced amount til 2036 to make others happy. Not the situation i want to see UConn in.
That is a way to "find money" for schools who want to lessen the gap between the ACC and the P2, isn't it?

Reaction Score
If UConn is put up for a vote, I am curious what the yes / no votes would look like.

We seemed to get along with WVU so maybe they are a yes? We have played UH in multiple sports since leaving the AAC so maybe them, too. I doubt Texas Tech and Oklahoma State vote us in. Baylor perhaps?

My guess is we fall a few votes short if we are put up for a vote, but getting into the Big 12 isn't a pipe dream and would be really good for our athletic department.
Why would the Big 12 Commissioner and his entourage waste their time coming all the way to Storrs if they already knew there were a bunch of no votes? Seems to me it was more likely they already had a quorum of yes votes before they left.

Reaction Score
God help us if he visited the Rent!
I’m disappointed to see your comment re the rent. The fan experience at the aren’t is far better than at ND, Penn State, Northwestern, the Rose Bowl and others. The Rose Bowl and ND, in particular are antiquated and as a six footer, impossible for me to sit forward in. Yes it is small for Big 12 but the footings were poured for expansion to 50,000 and I expect good engineers could figure out how to expand further. All we need to do is not give away all the parking for malls or warehouses .

Reaction Score
Lol would that be "big East loyalty" to the schools that abandoned us or to the schools with which we had no prior history?
Yep, BE loyalty to schools who left Uconn (& Cincy, USF) to form a hoops only league. But a "back to the future" irony with the schools mentioned in current form/talks of the new Big 12 . WVU, Cincy actually Big East rivals and then UCF, Houston in the AAC.

TCU (signed) SD St. (signed) and BYU (wouldn't sign) were supposed to become Big East or partial members until the "loyal" Catholic 7 walked away and imploded everything Uconn was working on to put the real conference back together, SMH!

PS... or does anyone remember the talks of a Big East/ Big 12 leftovers merger
along the way when 4 schools lead by TX and OKLA were on the verge of heading to the PAC ? Frickin' CR !

Reaction Score
We werent bad in the AAC because of the geography of the conference. We were bad because we had BAD coaches in football (pasqualoni, diaco, edsall) and in basketball (Ollie).

As long as we have Hurley and Mora, we will be fine whatever conference we play in.

Reaction Score
I’m disappointed to see your comment re the rent. The fan experience at the aren’t is far better than at ND, Penn State, Northwestern, the Rose Bowl and others. The Rose Bowl and ND, in particular are antiquated and as a six footer, impossible for me to sit forward in. Yes it is small for Big 12 but the footings were poured for expansion to 50,000 and I expect good engineers could figure out how to expand further. All we need to do is not give away all the parking for malls or warehouses .
I'm pretty sure the Rent is on par size wise with 4 or 5 stadiums in the Big 12 and the largest of the remaining hold no more than 20 or 25k capacity.

Reaction Score
Why would the Big 12 Commissioner and his entourage waste their time coming all the way to Storrs if they already knew there were a bunch of no votes? Seems to me it was more likely they already had a quorum of yes votes before they left.
This is the first time I'm hearing of an entourage. Who was in his entourage?

Reaction Score
I'm pretty sure the Rent is on par size wise with 4 or 5 stadiums in the Big 12 and the largest of the remaining hold no more than 20 or 25k capacity.
We would be on par with the bottom two, Cincinatti and Houston at 40k. Next is UCF...

Reaction Score
If UConn is put up for a vote, I am curious what the yes / no votes would look like.

We seemed to get along with WVU so maybe they are a yes? We have played UH in multiple sports since leaving the AAC so maybe them, too. I doubt Texas Tech and Oklahoma State vote us in. Baylor perhaps?

My guess is we fall a few votes short if we are put up for a vote, but getting into the Big 12 isn't a pipe dream and would be really good for our athletic department.

I thought I read all the Big 12 schools but into the commissioners plans. I doubt they bring a vote only to deny. I suspect any debate is happening now.

Reaction Score
Water has found a pathway thanks to gravity over the years and has caused a lot of rust damage. It’s plainly evident. Not sure if the rust is coming from concrete rebar or structural steel.

Reaction Score
We would be on par with the bottom two, Cincinatti and Houston at 40k. Next is UCF...
Ok, I was going off the top of my head. Not quite par but 5 universities are 45k and change or less in the big 12. BYU will have the largest and won't even be 25k larger than the Rent. Obviously not counting Texas or OU. I would have thought OSU was in the 60's.

Reaction Score
Yes it is small for Big 12 but the footings were poured for expansion to 50,000 and I expect good engineers could figure out how to expand further. All we need to do is not give away all the parking for malls or warehouses .
Yep...the current B12 show 6 stadiums from 40k to 50k (Kansas). The Rent " can expand to 50,000 with limited rehabilitation and has the layout and design for expansion of up to 60,000 seats in the future"

Reaction Score
Ok, I was going off the top of my head. Not quite par but 5 universities are 45k and change or less in the big 12. BYU will have the largest and won't even be 25k larger than the Rent. Obviously not counting Texas or OU. I would have thought OSU was in the 60's.
I think we're fine. If need be, we can add another 2.5k quickly and it wouldn't look awful. Other than Cinci and UH the other schools were able to get a lot more SRO people in the door judging by their highest attendance lists. Me too on OSU. We need to clean up some maintenance and upgrade issues.

Reaction Score
Yep...the current B12 show 6 stadiums from 40k to 50k (Kansas). The Rent " can expand to 50,000 with limited rehabilitation and has the layout and design for expansion of up to 60,000 seats in the future"

The expansion would come via a second deck above the end zones (?) IIRC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
WillngtnOak