Does this change your ranking? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Does this change your ranking?

donalddoowop

Who put the Bop in the Bop Shoo Bop?
Reaction Score
I believe UConn is the best team in the country right now. I am confident that the freshmen on the team just experienced the worst “off night” of their entire four-year UConn playing experience. I believe Tennessee is under rated and is becoming a tough rival for us(and everyone else). I have been ranking UConn #1 in every Boneyard poll since day one this season and will continue to do so until they have at least one loss. I think Lousyville and North Carawho State are second tier teams(first tier UConn, Stanford and S.C.)

I have great respect for and confidence in Geno and his coaching team and his basketball team.
I think you should start respecting both teams more. There is no way UConn at this time is a tier higher than either of those two teams. Now, after they play six or seven games without any being postponed, that is a different story.

Reaction Score
Except that UConn has 0 losses unlike top 3 teams.
that's sometimes the price you pay when you get to play a more competitive schedule........unfortunately UConn has only been able to play two decent teams so far this year ...........are you so sure they would have beaten both Baylor and Louisville because I'm not........I hate to say it but I view this season as a learning year leading up to next season when UConn should be close to unbeatable........

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
Let's face it. They did not look like a #3 team vs Tennessee. There is only one credible game left, and that is South Carolina. I know that the whole season(for all teams) is "unprecedented," so the SC game will be, by far, a huge game.

Reaction Score
I still have UCONN at #3. Still undefeated no matter how they were played last night. As you’ve seen number 1 team (Stanford) get beat by an unranked team. Every team has an off night or two. I wouldn’t count these Huskies out of anything.
And that’s understated. By March...ooh, by March !

MooseJaw

Bullmoose#1
Reaction Score
let's just say if UConn plays as poorly as they played last night against Louisville, Stanford, South Carolina or even Baylor they are in trouble.......
conversely, the same holds true for all the teams listed above. What really matters is the ability to overcome a bad game, also you have to take into consideration how well the opposition is playing they may also be playing a stinker of a game. Only way to tell is to play the game.

bballnut90

LV Adherent. Topic Crafter
Reaction Score
Let's face it. They did not look like a #3 team vs Tennessee. There is only one credible game left, and that is South Carolina. I know that the whole season(for all teams) is "unprecedented," so the SC game will be, by far, a huge game.

Arkansas will be a big resume boost too assuming UCONN wins and Arkansas doesn't completely tank.

Reaction Score
conversely, the same holds true for all the teams listed above. What really matters is the ability to overcome a bad game, also you have to take into consideration how well the opposition is playing they may also be playing a stinker of a game. Only way to tell is to play the game.
that's the hope........:(

Reaction Score
They play #18 Depaul and #15 Arkansas, you don't consider those to be credible games?

Monte

Count of Monte UConn
Reaction Score
They play #18 Depaul and #15 Arkansas, you don't consider those to be credible games?
Well, DePaul lost to Louisville by 41 points; what "credible" team has DePaul beaten?

'Arkansas is 2-4 in their conference....They lost to SC by 22; to Maryland by 19; and to Tennessee by 15.....You tell me if those are credible facts.

Reaction Score
SC game was not close. They were up 20 for much of the late 3rd & 4th quarter. GA scored a few baskets in the final minute to get it back to 12.
Weren’t both SC and Louisville playing at home? If so that would have to be factored in.

Reaction Score
I would drop UConn to 4th behind South Carolina. Assuming they learned what they claim, I expect a more convincing win at Arkansas. Then when they beat South Carolina, they will move ahead of them again. With Tennessee;s performance I don't think they should drop out of top 25 and they might even move up a spot or two.

MSGRET

MSG, US Army Retired
Reaction Score
Well, DePaul lost to Louisville by 41 points; what "credible" team has DePaul beaten?

'Arkansas is 2-4 in their conference....They lost to SC by 22; to Maryland by 19; and to Tennessee by 15.....You tell me if those are credible facts.
DePaul did beat Kentucky.

Tonyc

Optimus Prime
Reaction Score
Remember in the 4th qtr we were on a run up 9 and Paige twisted her ankle. We played a stall game to run down the clock and until she was ready to come back in. I hope we don't go into a stall again. Slowing it down to run out the clock is fine but we need to attack the basket and draw fouls.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The two subjective opinion polls have UConn at 3rd & 5th. Massey and NET. both analytic rankings, have UConn as No 1. It may be that the voters haven't forgiven UConn for those 3 losses last year while algorithms have no memory.

And don't ask me how UConn got those 2 No 1's.

Reaction Score
The two subjective opinion polls have UConn at 3rd & 5th. Massey and NET. both analytic rankings, have UConn as No 1. It may be that the voters haven't forgiven UConn for those 3 losses last year while algorithms have no memory.

And don't ask me how UConn got those 2 No 1's.
Analytics don’t use eyeballs. Hence oregon is ranked 4th

plus, algorithms must have memories. How else are PAC teams SOS so high when they have played nobody out of conference? They started with high rankings from last year and carried them over to this year. Hence, Oregon is 4th.

humans know that Oregon is not the 4th best team in the country. Algorithms don’t.

Reaction Score
Analytics don’t use eyeballs. Hence oregon is ranked 4th

plus, algorithms must have memories. How else are PAC teams SOS so high when they have played nobody out of conference? They started with high rankings from last year and carried them over to this year. Hence, Oregon is 4th.

humans know that Oregon is not the 4th best team in the country. Algorithms don’t.
Massey uses previous years stats until a team hits 10 games, which is about now this year. And the lack of inter-conference opponents may reduce the predictability of Massey, something they have done very well over the years. As for humans and what they know or think they know ??? History is filled with tragedies due to "what humans knew".

The polls start the year as a 100% subjective opinion and once the pecking order is established preseason a team moves slowly up or down, because voters are reluctant to admit they were dead wrong about a team they started at 10th so that team stays on the ranked list while teams left off in preseason don't climb unless the teams ahead lose.
This is a crazy season and teams seem to be playing very inconsistently. Stanford has been living in hotels for a month now. That has to be a strain.
The teams that can keep their focus and peak late will be there. Who they are is another question at this point.

Reaction Score
If anything, I think it showed that Tennessee might be a little better than 25 even if their record doesn’t show it. I thought they were a tough opponent. If UConn had blown them out, it might be a different story, but I think it’s hard to move UConn up or down after last night. Tennessee got a little choppy in the 4th quarter, but I was pretty impressed with them throughout the game.
For "The Big Dance" it will be match-ups that are favorable that will allow them [UT 'Voles' - spelling intentional from a previous BYer's post] to go deep into the tournament. For UCONN, it will be not having "off-nights" by more than two of the starters to get them to the Championship game. Get to the Championship game and see what happens!!!!

Reaction Score
I believe UConn is the best team in the country right now. I am confident that the freshmen on the team just experienced the worst “off night” of their entire four-year UConn playing experience. I believe Tennessee is under rated and is becoming a tough rival for us(and everyone else). I have been ranking UConn #1 in every Boneyard poll since day one this season and will continue to do so until they have at least one loss. I think Lousyville and North Carawho State are second tier teams(first tier UConn, Stanford and S.C.)

I have great respect for and confidence in Geno and his coaching team and his basketball team.
So right. Why even question what we’ve seen for decades ? This group is bonded...and is still getting it together. 7 freshmen finding their way. But room for everybody. By March they could be pure dominance.

Reaction Score
that's sometimes the price you pay when you get to play a more competitive schedule........unfortunately UConn has only been able to play two decent teams so far this year ...........are you so sure they would have beaten both Baylor and Louisville because I'm not........I hate to say it but I view this season as a learning year leading up to next season when UConn should be close to unbeatable........
I am hoping for next year that no other team is capable of being within 10 points, and 90% of opponents are defeated by 20+ points.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom