OT: - Did the Patriots make a mistake letting Jimmy G go? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

OT: Did the Patriots make a mistake letting Jimmy G go?

Reaction Score
Tom got faster, stronger and more agile at 40 than he was at 37, so the Patriots did the right thing in letting Jimmy go. The mistake was not trading him at maximum value.

That said, time has passed and I think, has caught up to Brady. I hope he retires and I hope Stidham is the answer. I think he might be. Still expect that Patriots to draft another QB in the coming draft.
This

Reaction Score
Perhaps, perhaps not. I think his arrogance is a big factor. I don't think this happened anyway so it's pretty much moot.
You think a trade to SF for a 2nd round draft pick is the best they could’ve got at the time? This trade came off Garoppolo going like 4-0 in that year, right?

Reaction Score
You think a trade to SF for a 2nd round draft pick is the best they could’ve got at the time? This trade came off Garoppolo going like 4-0 in that year, right?
he was traded the following season during the final year of his contract. teams are much less inclined to offer top assets when the player is a few months away from being a free agent anyways, especially when they know in order to extend him they’ll have to give him one of biggest contracts ever but hey.. everyone loves a good false narrative of feuding and drama within the pats organization so let’s go with that.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Tevin Coleman missed all of September and Breida has been banged up at RB.
Kittle and Goodwin have missed time as well.

Through half the season, Patriots had 4th most injuries. Almost all on offense--this unbalance is causing much of the issue. The 49ers were 15th.

The Pats have had games with only 2-3 starting linemen. Lost left tackle for 1st 10 games (played 1st against eagles) and had been starting one of the worst LTs I've ever seen. Lost starting center for the year and have plugged in a backup guard. RT has been in and out. Bill did a really poor job replenishing the line and TE. A lot of blocking disappeared.

Against the Eagles, they started a 50% Edelman (bruised ribs) + two receivers with 18 NFL catches between them. Two of top 3 receivers out. They played the Giants for 1/2 the game with a SINGLE personnel grouping because they had noone else. That's amazing.

They have a shared backfield of Michel, White, Burkhead and Bolden. Michel has been kind of a bust (3.4 ypc). I don't feel like the Pats have been shellshocked with injuries that no one else has had.

You named all running backs above--1 of whom is injured most of the time (Burkhead). But Pats running game has sucked because the line is depleted, TE depleted and without quality, and no full backs.

James White is the only true game changer at running back--and that's as a passing back. Michel and Burkhead are good players, but not certainly not top end rn. Bolden is a special teams player who makes one good play every other game.

Zero quality tight ends, the best being a 38yr old journeyman--the alsorans getting injured as well. They are a big fullback offense, and lost one of the better ones in the league for the year, and then lost his back up. They are playing a linebacker at fullback.

Pats let Gordon and AB walk.

And letting AB walk is a little disingenuous. They had zero choice. Tried to fix a massive problem by signing him, but it failed. Turns out he's radioactive.

I don't like the fact they let Gordon go, but apparently he had stopped doing the things they asked him to do. They replaced him with a lesser version (Sanu), who's now injured. Gordon wasn't exactly lighting it up, but releasing him pissed me off.

Reaction Score
What on this thread was lulzable? That a Jets fan instigated sports debate?

As a Jets fan, I feel a lot better knowing that a) Brady looks to be slowing down significantly and b) there's no one behind him learning right now.

intlzncster

Reaction Score

2-0. He got hurt early in the third game.

I do think that's the best offer they got. Remember, teams knew they would have to franchise him after that, at minimum. Reports are that the browns offered a little more. But that's coming from Sachi Brown, who I believe about as much as [pick a politician]. Also, if Bill liked Jimmy as much as they say, he wouldn't want to trade him to an AFC opponent.

What people are saying with this is that Bill deliberately hurt his team, for what, to get back at Kraft? For some other non football reason? That doesn't jive with anything we know about Bill Belichick and his history. You really think Bill's going to hurt his team for personal reasons? He might be the most unsentimental guy in all professional sports.

Now you can argue he made a mistake by not trading Jimmy in the offseason, and could have gotten more than a 2nd at that point. But we can only speculate.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
As a Jets fan, I feel a lot better knowing that a) Brady looks to be slowing down significantly and b) there's no one behind him learning right now.

If they do something constructive with the offense in the offseason, he'll pop mvp type numbers again. I'm willing to bet on that.

I think this year could be tough offensively. Personnel is what it is.

No consistency of personnel game to game. The guy thrown receptions to 17 different players this year.

Reaction Score
Wrong deep, Patriots have Stidman developing and like him. Nobody hears anything about him and some think Hoyer is still there. Good arm, size, football IQ and played high end college football at Auburn.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Wrong deep, Patriots have Stidman developing and like him. Nobody hears anything about him and some think Hoyer is still there. Good arm, size, football IQ and played high end college football at Auburn.

Hopefully doesn't play for another 3-4 years tho.

Reaction Score

Well, to be fair, you don't know that I'm wrong. Stidman is a prospect who fell significantly his senior year and hasn't done anything on an NFL football field.

And he played briefly at Auburn. He went to Baylor, didn't play a lot his first year then transferred. And his numbers at Auburn were "okay".

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
2-0. He got hurt early in the third game.

I do think that's the best offer they got. Remember, teams knew they would have to franchise him after that, at minimum. Reports are that the browns offered a little more. But that's coming from Sachi Brown, who I believe about as much as [pick a politician]. Also, if Bill liked Jimmy as much as they say, he wouldn't want to trade him to an AFC opponent.

What people are saying with this is that Bill deliberately hurt his team, for what, to get back at Kraft? For some other non football reason? That doesn't jive with anything we know about Bill Belichick and his history. You really think Bill's going to hurt his team for personal reasons? He might be the most unsentimental guy in all professional sports.

Now you can argue he made a mistake by not trading Jimmy in the offseason, and could have gotten more than a 2nd at that point. But we can only speculate.

It was a mistake in hindsight. I am sure they could get more in the offseason. But Bill knew he had a super bowl contender with an aging QB. Keeping Jimmy was insurance. Once he saw how Tom performed, he brought Hoyer back for free and traded Jimmy. Bigger mistake might have been giving Brisset away, although I didn't think so at the time.

Stidham is the guy I wanted them to draft. Loads of talent and just needs to harness it. For @Deepster , I guarantee you he is learning every day whether he plays or not. He's facing the best secondary in the league in practice and Tom and Josh are teaching him.

Reaction Score
For @Deepster , I guarantee you he is learning every day whether he plays or not. He's facing the best secondary in the league in practice and Tom and Josh are teaching him.

Well, again...you can't guarantee anything.

Mark Sanchez had a far better final year in college and went up against the best defense/secondary in football in practice every day. I could easily list out 10 other guys just like this who didn't succeed.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Mark Sanchez had a far better final year in college and went up against the best defense/secondary in football in practice every day. I could easily list out 10 other guys just like this who didn't succeed.
OTOH, Matt Cassell only threw 33 passes in college and went 11-5 with Belichick.

Reaction Score
The Patriots don't make mistakes, they capitalize on other teams mistakes.

Thanks to Belichek, they are the most pragmatic organization, ever

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
It's football. The coaching staff matters more than anything else.
The Eagles were having their way with NE 1st quarter. They panned to the sideline and BB was huddled with the defensive unit. I knew at that moment the game was over for Philadelphia. The guy is a genius at understanding strengths and weakness of teams and players, his included.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
It's football. The coaching staff matters more than anything else.

If you don't have a very, very good QB, you aren't winning consistently. Sure, you can punch through now and again, but to win year in year out, you gotta have that guy.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
The Eagles were having their way with NE 1st quarter. They panned to the sideline and BB was huddled with the defensive unit. I knew at that moment the game was over for Philadelphia. The guy is a genius at understanding strengths and weakness of teams and players, his included.

They really only had one truly successful drive, the 1st one.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
OTOH, Matt Cassell only threw 33 passes in college and went 11-5 with Belichick.

In fairness, he was playing with a phenomenal defense and offensive firepower that year. 2007 was one of the best teams I've ever seen, and most returned for that 2008 season. They were stacked. It's not like his numbers were very good.

Cassell also went to the Pro Bowl in KC.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Well, to be fair, you don't know that I'm wrong. Stidman is a prospect who fell significantly his senior year and hasn't done anything on an NFL football field.

And he played briefly at Auburn. He went to Baylor, didn't play a lot his first year then transferred. And his numbers at Auburn were "okay".

Nobody knows how anybody is though. It's really, really hard to predict who's going to be a successful QB in this league.

You just got to keep drafting, develop like hell, and hope you hit.

Reaction Score
yeah I don’t understand how this gets confused. jimmy got what.. 90$ million guaranteed on the free market? Patriots were not paying a quarterback that after 4 games while simultaneously cutting Tom Brady who just won you another super bowl. They were never keeping 2 QBs making 20+ million. It was bad timing.

He didn't actually even play in all 4. Jacoby played in one of them I think because Jimmy got hurt.

Reaction Score
And Jacoby turned out pretty good too.

Jimmy G is good - but they are winning due to that D in SF. Wow that was a beatdown last night.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom