Derryck Thornton Transferring | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Derryck Thornton Transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It happens to every top team. Look at Syracuse last year - BJ Johnson and Ron Patterson transferred. Granted we lost scholarships, but I'm sure Boeheim and staff sat down with them and told them to not expect any minutes in the coming years as they were bringing in higher rated recruits (Malachi Richardson, Frank Howard) and looking to add more (Tyus Battle 2016, others in 2017). Same with Kaleb Joseph just this past week.
I definitely agree with your premise in general, but would you guys have had scholarships for all your incoming recruits if Johnson and Patterson had not left? Because if not, one or both of them actually do fall into your category 2 above.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
It happens to every top team. Look at Syracuse last year - BJ Johnson and Ron Patterson transferred. Granted we lost scholarships, but I'm sure Boeheim and staff sat down with them and told them to not expect any minutes in the coming years as they were bringing in higher rated recruits (Malachi Richardson, Frank Howard) and looking to add more (Tyus Battle 2016, others in 2017). Same with Kaleb Joseph just this past week.
Why the hell are you here anyway? I guess level of interest in a message board correlates directly with number of titles won by the respective team?

Reaction Score
No, it's just the result of going all in on the one and done game. When you commit to Duke, UK, or Kansas (to a slight degree UCLA, doesn't really apply to anyone else), if you don't live up to the hype, you will be pushed out by next year's batch. The system only works if you leave after one year, because next year's guys were promised certain things which must be fulfilled or else guys will stop committing. It's a dirty game but the results seem to work for the program and the elite players they get, the overhyped guys coming out of high school (DT and Skal this season) get screwed, but it's the price they pay for overreaching.
Agreed and when you get 2, 3, or 4 of these all americans to stay 2, 3, or 4 years, your team can be dominant, like UNC this year. Take a look at this roster and tell me what stands out:
Basketball Recruiting - Jordan Brand Classic Game Roster - ESPN

Out of 22 Jordan All Americans from 2012:
12 played professionally at some level (NBA, NBDL, Europe)
2 played at UNC this past season, in addition to Kennedy Meeks, a McD AA from 2013

Reaction Score
I definitely agree with your premise in general, but would you guys have had scholarships for all your incoming recruits if Johnson and Patterson had not left? Because if not, one or both of them actually do fall into your category 2 above.
I don't think so - by my count, SU had 10 scholarship players on this year's roster, including Chukwu who's sitting out as a transfer. Within limit of the allowable 13 - 2 = 11 schollies, but something tells me coaches and staff know that a player is going to transfer before the season is over.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
I just think it is disingenuous as UConn fans in this very specific instance to rattle Ks cage about this, as JC was world reknown for this very thing. I mean it was a big part of our past APR issues. ( transfers who transferred because they were not getting playing time and/or recruited over) . It's a crappy system.

Agree, but K is held up as everything that is right with college athletics, a paragon of virtue. JC was damn near a pariah for a while.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Why do you have to be disrespectful to the guy? He is fine on the board and has the right to post. Don't act like the guy you are trying to portray him as being.
Agreed. There are plenty of Syracuse buffoons to shred to pieces. Eastcoast2 is not one of them.

Not to pass premature judgement, but this guy seems cut from the kobe/FriarJ cloth of respectful rival fans. I see no reason to give him crap.

Reaction Score
The uncle retweeted this:

I doubt those numbers are right re: $$$, but he's not making nothing. It's a fair point - BigBlueNation is there to be fleeced.

That's hilarious.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Why do you have to be disrespectful to the guy? He is fine on the board and has the right to post. Don't act like the guy you are trying to portray him as being.
After years of seeing sdhusky and others get s*** on while trying to engage in discussion with the fruits on this site's sister site no less, I no longer have sympathy for the non-confrontational Cuse visitor. If you don't like it cry me a river.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score

Syracuse and top team??????????????
That just doesn't compute
Thornton and Joseph are comparable????
Go back to your Cuse board and bash Geno and the lady Huskies and tell everyone that the Cuse girls accomplished more

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
After years of seeing sdhusky and others get s*** on while trying to engage in discussion with the fruits on this site's sister site no less, I no longer have sympathy for the non-confrontational Cuse visitor. If you don't like it cry me a river.
Well that's true. But remember 4>1 and it eats their souls. I think we are in a better frame of mind to welcome a rational opposition poster than they are. To them when we are over there it is just a reminder of decades of fail. It's not the same here. We know what championships mean.

Reaction Score
Well that's true. But remember 4>1 and it eats their souls. I think we are in a better frame of mind to welcome a rational opposition poster than they are. To them when we are over there it is just a reminder of decades of fail. It's not the same here. We know what championships mean.
And, no disrespect to sdhusky, but a lot of the stuff he says on the Syracuse board, particularly recruiting info, is just wrong.

August_West

Reaction Score
Agree, but K is held up as everything that is right with college athletics, a paragon of virtue. JC was damn near a pariah for a while.
Yeah but we always knew the truth. That's all that matters.

August_West

Reaction Score
And, no disrespect to sdhusky, but a lot of the stuff he says on the Syracuse board, particularly recruiting info, is just wrong.
He alternately tweaks them and blows them kisses. It's quite the interesting dynamic.

Reaction Score
Ding! Ding! Ding!

2011 was the equivalent of us running over their family members with a Mack truck. Then in 2014, we backed up the truck and ran over them again just for the hell of it.

They're levels beyond "off the deep end" at this point when it comes anything related to our program, so you just have to cut them some slack. EastCoast makes better posts than, at minimum, 80% of the people on this board, so there is really no need trash talk him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom