Derryck Thornton Transferring

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score

Wants to go back west, but I hope KO at least reaches out

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
And Duke goes after a grad transfer. And Vitale says it's good for college bb because look at the education their getting.
This actually frees up a spot for Bolden, a 5-star center who's likely a one-and-done.

Reaction Score
My guess is Grayson Allen is staying so he can play PG full time and audition for the NBA at that position, while playing on a stacked team. K probably told Thornton as much, his minutes would dwindle.

Reaction Score
My guess is Grayson Allen is staying so he can play PG full time and audition for the NBA at that position, while playing on a stacked team. K probably told Thornton as much, his minutes would dwindle.
Thornton was going to have to compete with frank jackson if he stayed

Reaction Score
Hindsight is 20/20, but I bet he wishes he could redo the whole reclassify thing and seen how dukes season/recruiting class would end up.

Reaction Score
This actually frees up a spot for Bolden, a 5-star center who's likely a one-and-done.
I don't see Bolden as a one and done, especially if he does go to Duke, because they will be pretty deep in the front court, meaning less minutes

Reaction Score
Thornton was going to have to compete with frank jackson if he stayed
Jackson is more of a scoring guard, while Thornton is more of a pass first pure PG. Will be interesting to see Duke's game 1 lineup if Allen is indeed the PG.

Reaction Score
I'll pass. By the time he's eligible, our backcourt will already be solidified with Jalen Adams and Alteriwue Gilbert, not to mention likely another guard from 2016 and 2017. Think he would just complicate things.

BRS24

LisaG
Reaction Score
Coach K getting trashed on social media for discarding this kid to make room for recruits. Something about not having enough schollies, and it's a shame that Thornton reclassified to help Puke at the PG position, and now he's gone.

Reaction Score
Hindsight is 20/20, but I bet he wishes he could redo the whole reclassify thing and seen how dukes season/recruiting class would end up.
Same thing happened to Alex Murphy and sorta Dawkins as well, although he had other issues with his sis dying in that accident.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Coach K getting trashed on social media for discarding this kid to make room for recruits. Something about not having enough schollies, and it's a shame that Thornton reclassified to help Puke at the PG position, and now he's gone.

Lotsa reasons to hate rat face but this ain't one of them . Don't hate the playa hate the game.

Reaction Score
His uncle is going off on twitter, and the responses he's getting are further exposing how lame and corny college sports fans are.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Ratface has sure made a turnaround on most everything that made him a semi standup guy years ago
I think maybe he is experiencing a senility issue with his actions and statements recently

Matrim55

Why is it so hard To make it in America
Reaction Score
The uncle retweeted this:

I doubt those numbers are right re: $$$, but he's not making nothing. It's a fair point - BigBlueNation is there to be fleeced.

Reaction Score
Who is paying him? Do they charge admission at the mall to get his autograph and then give him a piece of it?

Reaction Score
Lotsa reasons to hate rat face but this ain't one of them . Don't hate the playa hate the game.
K needs to now sleep in the bed he made for himself the past few years. He wanted to swim with the squid. Now he must face the viscous criticism that coincides. Say what you want about Calipari, but at least he doesn't run away from what he is doing. K wants to play this game but hide behind some fallacy of holding the virtues of a Army man. K lost credibility a while back but his hypocrisy has taken some time to catch up with him. That is where this hate is coming from. Its coming from his belief he can scold an opposing player about sportsmanship when his own player got suspended for tripping someone. Its coming from his begging a kid to reclassify a year early because he had a position void to run him out of the program a year later for not meeting expectations. I don't hate the game. I don't hate that K has embraced it. I simply hate that he is trying to be someone he has proven not to be.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
K needs to now sleep in the bed he made for himself the past few years. He wanted to swim with the squid. Now he must face the viscous criticism that coincides. Say what you want about Calipari, but at least he doesn't run away from what he is doing. K wants to play this game but hide behind some fallacy of holding the virtues of a Army man. K lost credibility a while back but his hypocrisy has taken some time to catch up with him. That is where this hate is coming from. Its coming from his belief he can scold an opposing player about sportsmanship when his own player got suspended for tripping someone. Its coming from his begging a kid to reclassify a year early because he had a position void to run him out of the program a year later for not meeting expectations. I don't hate the game. I don't hate that K has embraced it. I simply hate that he is trying to be someone he has proven not to be.

I just think it is disingenuous as UConn fans in this very specific instance to rattle Ks cage about this, as JC was world reknown for this very thing. I mean it was a big part of our past APR issues. ( transfers who transferred because they were not getting playing time and/or recruited over) . It's a crappy system.

Reaction Score
Totally Agree with you, but one correction...Allen didn't get any suspension, he got a stern letter written to him telling him to stop or he'd get an even sterner letter

Reaction Score
Not defending K but do we know that Thornton was run off the team? How do we know this isn't just a case of being over-recruited by better players, and the coach telling you your PT will drop next year? I think there's a difference between telling a kid:
1) We have a great class coming in and I'm moving Grayson to PG, you might get 5-10 mpg
2) You don't have a scholarship here anymore you need to get lost

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Ratface has sure made a turnaround on most everything that made him a semi standup guy years ago
I think maybe he is experiencing a senility issue with his actions and statements recently
No, it's just the result of going all in on the one and done game. When you commit to Duke, UK, or Kansas (to a slight degree UCLA, doesn't really apply to anyone else), if you don't live up to the hype, you will be pushed out by next year's batch. The system only works if you leave after one year, because next year's guys were promised certain things which must be fulfilled or else guys will stop committing. It's a dirty game but the results seem to work for the program and the elite players they get, the overhyped guys coming out of high school (DT and Skal this season) get screwed, but it's the price they pay for overreaching.

Reaction Score
Not defending K but do we know that Thornton was run off the team? How do we know this isn't just a case of being over-recruited by better players, and the coach telling you your PT will drop next year? I think there's a difference between telling a kid:
1) We have a great class coming in and I'm moving Grayson to PG, you might get 5-10 mpg
2) You don't have a scholarship here anymore you need to get lost
You have to be the first Cuse fan I've seen that thinks there is a difference between being recruited over by better players, and being run off the team. Every single player we've ever had that has been recruited over has been "run off the team" according to your board.

Reaction Score
You have to be the first Cuse fan I've seen that thinks there is a difference between being recruited over by better players, and being run off the team. Every single player we've ever had that has been recruited over has been "run off the team" according to your board.
It happens to every top team. Look at Syracuse last year - BJ Johnson and Ron Patterson transferred. Granted we lost scholarships, but I'm sure Boeheim and staff sat down with them and told them to not expect any minutes in the coming years as they were bringing in higher rated recruits (Malachi Richardson, Frank Howard) and looking to add more (Tyus Battle 2016, others in 2017). Same with Kaleb Joseph just this past week.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom