Dan Hurley seeing strength in UConn men’s basketball numbers (Amore @ Courant) | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley seeing strength in UConn men’s basketball numbers (Amore @ Courant)

Reaction Score
Last year's depth relied on a lot of young guys or guys coming back from injury who gave us virtually nothing.

This year's depth are largely established players either here or elsewhere, where there's a fairly high floor to what they can provide.

Newton
Alleyne
Hawkins
Diarra
Calcaterra
Jackson
Sanogo

Those guys have all proven what they can contribute. Then we really just need one of Karaban and Johnson to step up, and a few minutes from Clingan.

What we're asking for from the unproven players is much less this year than last.
@navery12 I wouldn't count on Calcaterra playing much at all. He's a career 39% fg, 36% threes, 8 ppg in a far inferior conference.

Reaction Score
I want to make sure I get your whining. We beat up on a coach for not winning in the NCAAs, but then if he compliments the team he had that did we beat him up for that?

I wish you’d get a life.

I'm not beating anyone up. That is a COMPLETE mischaracterization of my post.

I'll explain it for you. I was shocked that he considered one of his URI teams as his best college team. IMHO, last year's UConn team was a better team. URI best that year was Jared Terrell, Jeff Dowtin who sits at the end of NBA bench (nice work if you can get it). It also had a young Fats Russel. It won a game in OT in the dance. It came in second in the A10 Tourney. It was a nice team for URI.

The 21-22 Huskies had four players likely to suit in the league. I think they beat those Rams handily. I think UConn was bigger, stronger and more talented. Hence, my shock at Hurley's unequivocal statement.

BTW, I have quite a fine life actually, thanks for caring.

Reaction Score
The goal year after year is to be better than the team the year before.

This is all coach speak, around this time of year you always see coaches saying things like this to generate buzz or temper expectations. (Annual Squid we’re young comments)

While the statement may be true, may not be, it’s just coach speak & reporters squeezing anything to make an article during down time imo

star trek spock GIF

Reaction Score
@navery12 I wouldn't count on Calcaterra playing much at all. He's a career 39% fg, 36% threes, 8 ppg in a far inferior conference.
Ideally no, but he's another high floor guy who won't kill you if you have to play him 5-10 minutes in a given game.

Reaction Score
It'll be the same thing this year, the best teams in March mostly have 7-8 man rotations. The advantage in depth is having guys ready to step up when injuries inevitably hit the team during the season
Agreed, but unfortunately last year this turned into Polley + guys who were very inconsistent and unreliable (Gaffney + Hawkins). And everybody behind them was pretty much unplayable. Akok was a mystery, sometimes really solid and sometimes unplayable.

That said, our 2-3 guys off the bench this year (depending on how Hurley picks the starting 5) should be some combination of Alleyne, Diarra, Karaban, Clingan, soph Samson, and Calcaterra. I like that much more than Polley, Gaffney, and freshman Hawkins.

Reaction Score
Ideally no, but he's another high floor guy who won't kill you if you have to play him 5-10 minutes in a given game.
especially considering he’s replacing Rahsool on the depth chart. If he can hit 1 three every 3 games, still a net positive haha

Reaction Score
especially considering he’s replacing Rahsool on the depth chart. If he can hit 1 three every 3 games, still a net positive haha
Exactly.

Cole --> Newton: slight downgrade
Gaffney --> Diarra: upgrade
Diggins --> Calcaterra: upgrade
Polley --> Alleyne: upgrade

Hawkins, Jackson, Sanogo should be same or better.

Whaley/Akok --> Karaban/Johnson: more variance, but probably an upgrade at least on offense

Martin's role isn't directly replaced, but there's a number of solid guys to distribute minutes to.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
ikr? this calcaterra thing is completely over the top, and outta hand.
what's this going to be, his sixth year playing college hoops?
late bloomer, i guess...

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Exactly.

Whaley/Akok --> Karaban/Johnson: more variance, but probably an upgrade at least on offense

Martin's role isn't directly replaced, but there's a number of solid guys to distribute minutes to.
I expect Newton to be an upgrade to Cole. 6’6, better passer, can score it as well, and better around the rim.

The development of Johnson and Karaban is the real wildcard on this team that will effect a lot.

Reaction Score
Exactly.

I don’t disagree for the most part, but if Hawkins is the same, we’ll definitely underperform most people’s expectations. I expect a big step forward for him, as well as continued improvement from Jackson and Sanogo.

Also, don’t forget we have Clingan to take some of Whaley’s minutes. It almost seems as if people (not you, specifically) are so careful not to expect too much that they’re possibly underrating the impact of a 7’2” freshman.

Reaction Score
It'll be the same thing this year, the best teams in March mostly have 7-8 man rotations. The advantage in depth is having guys ready to step up when injuries inevitably hit the team during the season
I will also add it allows for less mileage on your 7-8 best players that guys 9, 10 or even 11 can actually take on some of the load v. Butler, DePaul, or Georgetown in January and February rather than asking RJ Cole to play 34-36 minutes every night. Saves fuel in the tank for March, which may have been a core issue last year in the quick exit.

Less time on the floor also means less likely to get injured pushing your body to limit, which was what lead to the short exit the year prior (RJ concussion, Bouk cramps).

So in short, as you said it is going to be 7-8 guys in March and it should be, but have guys 9, 10, and 11 be usable in conference games has a number of benefits.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Wow so many new faces!

We may have a slow and rough start y'all. Hurley will be challenged this season that's for sure.
Or a fast and awesome start. Trust me. I have got a feeling on this.

(Still doomed though.)

Reaction Score

He is the 5th guard and to be fair to him, he was quite a bit better his 2nd and 3 years. Better efficiency on higher usage so it’s not like he was given a bigger role and failed. His coach said he was injured all last year and a shell of himself.

Reaction Score
He talked about our depth before last season as well and it turned out that we didn't have much. I will say this year does seem promising in that regard though.
Akok injury changed everything about our roster last year.

Reaction Score
Chief has never been a depth guy in basketball. One thing is clear the two developed men’s bodies are Adama and Donovan. Contrary, to all the preseason nonsense these two will play some together.

Reaction Score
I will also add it allows for less mileage on your 7-8 best players that guys 9, 10 or even 11 can actually take on some of the load v. Butler, DePaul, or Georgetown in January and February rather than asking RJ Cole to play 34-36 minutes every night. Saves fuel in the tank for March, which may have been a core issue last year in the quick exit.

Less time on the floor also means less likely to get injured pushing your body to limit, which was what lead to the short exit the year prior (RJ concussion, Bouk cramps).

So in short, as you said it is going to be 7-8 guys in March and it should be, but have guys 9, 10, and 11 be usable in conference games has a number of benefits.
I would always wonder why RJ and Tyrese would still be playing with 7 minutes to go in a 20 point game.

Then Rahsool Diggins and Samson Johnson got on the court.

Would love to see a second unit be able to hold it down, and a third unit that doesn’t let a 20 point lead go any lower than 15

Reaction Score
I wonder what he meant by the qualifier "foundation." I hope it doesn't mean "Wait till next year."

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
sool is just beginning his career, with years of game ahead of him. im sure that we'll see him along the way.
joey's at the finish line, unless they change the rules again, and he gets to play a seventh.

and then there is corey... him, too. im sure that we'll see him along the way.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
Chief has never been a depth guy in basketball. One thing is clear the two developed men’s bodies are Adama and Donovan. Contrary, to all the preseason nonsense these two will play some together.
bbut jefe, don't u understand aboot the 'third unit?' it's all the rage these days in fantasyland!

Reaction Score
sool is just beginning his career, with years of game ahead of him. im sure that we'll see him along the way.
joey's at the finish line, unless they change the rules again, and he gets to play a seventh.

and then there is corey... him, too. im sure that we'll see him along the way.

This is true, but Sool doesn't play for UConn anymore so he's not on the depth chart :)

I am terrified of CFJ terrorizing us for the next 4 years at Providence

Mazhude

"Bark, Bark!"
Reaction Score
This is true, but Sool doesn't play for UConn anymore so he's not on the depth chart :)

If we're being terrified by Providence we have much bigger problems...

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score

'I am terrified of CFJ terrorizing us for the next 4 years at Providence'

me too.

Reaction Score
The worry here is obvious - if you have 3 quarterbacks you have none. In other words if there isn't a clear delineation on who the starters and key subs are vs who will play virtually no minutes - then it can really hurt the ability to form a team and progress both within current roles but also long-term(transfers, lack of development, etc)

I think Hurley must be more decisive on rotation this year, and must commit to getting the kids lots of playing time early - no veteran leanings

Reaction Score

I liked Floyd. I wouldn’t take him over Newton, Alleyne, or Diarra in the upcoming season, though. Maybe he’ll have a good enough four years that we’ll regret how it went down. Right now, I’d say we used his exit as an opportunity to upgrade.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom