Dan Hurley seeing strength in UConn men’s basketball numbers (Amore @ Courant) | The Boneyard

Dan Hurley seeing strength in UConn men’s basketball numbers (Amore @ Courant)

Reaction Score

Backdoor screen to article <<

-> “The thing I’m noticing is the depth,” Hurley said. “When you lose R.J. Cole, who was one of the best guards in the country last year and Tyrese Martin, who, as it turns out, is an NBA level player, you worry so much about trying to replace them. You’re not necessarily going to get that production from a new player, but collectively, potentially, this is the best 1-through-10 or 11 since I’ve been here. The depth over the course of the season is going to be a foundation.” <-

Reaction Score
WOW! "This team reminds me of the best team I’ve had in college, the sixth year at Rhode Island." What does that say about last year's squad? Quite a statement.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
WOW! "This team reminds me of the best team I’ve had in college, the sixth year at Rhode Island." What does that say about last year's squad? Quite a statement.
Bah. He's talking about the depth. Even last year's UConn team had players better than that URI team and would beat that URI team more often than not. It's the difference between floor-ceiling. That URI team was consistent but couldn't have beaten the Auburn team UConn beat last year. Their big win was over an OU team that finished 18-14 and 8-10 in the Big 12....in OT. They didn't beat anybody all year aside from PC and a 1 point win over Seton Hall.

Reaction Score
I want to make sure I get your whining. We beat up on a coach for not winning in the NCAAs, but then if he compliments the team he had that did we beat him up for that?

I wish you’d get a life.

Reaction Score
Possibly he is talking from a team prospective
All the players fitting into that puzzle called a team.
Last year probably had better players but
we had guys out of position which limits the potential.
Didn’t that URI Team get to the second round ? So if we’re equal as a team with better players we could make a run.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
Not for nothing, if this team doesn’t have any players better than RJ Cole and Tyrese Martin that’s not a good thing. They played hard for us, but I don’t know a time that we didn’t have a better alpha player(s). Like since we Calhoun first brought us out the abyss.

So I hope this was just Hurley being nice by saying we don’t have anyone that can replace their production.

I personally think Tristan and Hawkins can do the same, if not more. But I don’t see the guys almost every day.

ClifSpliffy

surf's up
Reaction Score
That picture really gives you a sense of just how big Clingan really is. Wow.
and raises my expectation to see him get real minutes from the get go.
and alex. him too. he just soo looks like a baller ready to get after it. right danny? right?

Reaction Score
Of course I’m fired up, because I’m always fired up after Hurley says anything.

But last year was also supposed to be our deepest roster and we had a 7.5 man rotation at the end of the season.

I’m excited going into next season but I’d like to see how many of the underclassmen will actually get meaningful time

Reaction Score
Of course I’m fired up, because I’m always fired up after Hurley says anything.

But last year was also supposed to be our deepest roster and we had a 7.5 man rotation at the end of the season.

I’m excited going into next season but I’d like to see how many of the underclassmen will actually get meaningful time
It'll be the same thing this year, the best teams in March mostly have 7-8 man rotations. The advantage in depth is having guys ready to step up when injuries inevitably hit the team during the season

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score

I didn't read it that way at all, Darth Vader

Reaction Score
He talked about our depth before last season as well and it turned out that we didn't have much. I will say this year does seem promising in that regard though.
Last year's depth relied on a lot of young guys or guys coming back from injury who gave us virtually nothing.

This year's depth are largely established players either here or elsewhere, where there's a fairly high floor to what they can provide.

Newton
Alleyne
Hawkins
Diarra
Calcaterra
Jackson
Sanogo

Those guys have all proven what they can contribute. Then we really just need one of Karaban and Johnson to step up, and a few minutes from Clingan.

What we're asking for from the unproven players is much less this year than last.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
People freaking out because Dan is nostalgic about a URI team he had that won an NCAA tournament game. That team was overseeded as a 7, scraped by a weak 10 seed in OT and got waxed by Duke. The 2016-17 URI team was probably underseeded and performed better in the tournament.

If either of the last two UConn teams had won a game, he'd consider them his best team.

Reaction Score

I caught this team pic from the Yard Goats game. With a 12 count and no Andrew, I'm assuming the 3rd from the right is the walk-on
Andre Johnson (South Kent), who is not listed on the Uconn roster yet.

FYzWMUqWYAEKOqL

Reaction Score
Wow so many new faces!

We may have a slow and rough start y'all. Hurley will be challenged this season that's for sure.

Reaction Score
It all boils down to the same thing with DH. He's gotten his past teams, and this program, to good levels (in the mix for conference titles, making the dance) by maxing out 3/4 star talent. He's at the point now where he's had enough time to shape the roster and program in his image. Time for him in the next few years to win conference titles/tournament games, and if that doesn't happen in a few years it will be time for UConn to make a change. The last step is often the toughest (ask JC) but in today's day and age the leash isn't as long. Hope he pulls it off

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I said it last year, I'll say it for this year.

These things always work their way out with injuries and other stuff. Come BET and NCAAT time, this will be an 8 man rotation.

Reaction Score
The goal year after year is to be better than the team the year before.

This is all coach speak, around this time of year you always see coaches saying things like this to generate buzz or temper expectations. (Annual Squid we’re young comments)

While the statement may be true, may not be, it’s just coach speak & reporters squeezing anything to make an article during down time imo

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TBall

Top Bottom