Crystal! | The Boneyard

Crystal!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Despite its early level of success – a level beyond which even the optimists among us predicted – our favorite team is clearly not yet the well-oiled machine that usually characterizes a Geno-coached squad. Though it’s far from the “be-all-and-end-all” contest that it might otherwise be later in the season, the upcoming trip to South Bend will yield more information. For now, however, the bases for almost unbridled delight are multiple and diverse…and no one example supports that contention more than what can be found in the remarkably stellar play of Crystal Dangerfield!

I don’t know if it will happen sooner (next game or two) or later (three or four games down the road), but her ultimate breakthrough into the starting lineup is now a foregone conclusion. UConn has its All-American starting point guard for the next 3 ¾ years! Will she, as is inevitable, continue in the short term to make typical Freshman mistakes, just as Mo did? Naturally. But what is undeniable is how much better the team looks, even now, when she’s on the floor. All Geno fans understand the importance of the transition game to his philosophy. What Crystal brings to that effort is already manifestly clear. The pace quickens dramatically, and her dazzling feeds to her teammates make repeated highlight-reel material…already!

I can’t even focus yet on the abundance of riches that will be at this team’s disposal next season. I’m having too much fun right now with this one! Crystal’s early emergence as the player we’d hoped for constitutes a huge part of that.

Reaction Score
What impresses me about Crystal is her maturity and effectiveness in so many aspects of the game for such a youngster. Shooting, passing, defense, seeing the floor, etc. Maturity; she takes what the opposition will give her. Last night it wasn't scoring. No matter, she wasn't about to force shots, but her passing let everybody else score. Just a talent playing beyond her age.
Yes Bigpet, another 3&3/4 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reaction Score
The Dayton offensive, defensive and transition game completely changed the moment that Crystal got into the game....pace and intensity increased on both ends of the floor and the one pass to Gabby that didn't connect sent notice to her teammates that if you are willing to fill the lanes on the break, purposeful cuts to the basket and use your picks well then she will make sure that the ball will find you in the right spot at the right time....it's early and there will undoubtedly be some growing pains ahead but it should be a wildly entertaining next 3.5+ seasons with Crystal at the wheel....

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
While you could argue that Danger had a better stat line (certainly shooting the ball) vs Baylor, I believe that last nights game vs Dayton was far more important. Danger picked up her defense by harassing the opposing PG, forcing turnovers (2) and missed shots, and scrambling for rebounds (6). She led the break, showing great vision, dropping dimes (9) to every Husky that ran the court with her.

Yes, Ms Walker will love playing with Danger next year. As will Ms Stevens, Ms Camara et al. As for this year, Gabby, Lou, Pheeze, Kia and company started celebrating Thanksgiving last night when Danger started serving up assist after assist.

huskeynut

Leader of the Band
Reaction Score
Dangerfield changes the complexion of the game when she enters. For a frosh, she has an unbelievable understaning of running the offense that belies her years. Despite the fact that she has speed to burn, she runs the floor under control but still pushing the tempo. Her passing is flat out scary! That "no look" to Kia on the break was text book, classic and part of a highlight reel.

Defensively she is improving. She stays with her assignment. She is learning how to harass others. She quickness and ability to anticipate a play will increase leading to more steals and breakaways.

I actually like her coming off the bench. She is a big lighting bolt that strikes quickly and with force. Energy explodes when she is in! As it is now, coaches have to wonder when Crystal will enter.

Reaction Score
Dangerfield changes the complexion of the game when she enters. For a frosh, she has an unbelievable understaning of running the offense that belies her years. Despite the fact that she has speed to burn, she runs the floor under control but still pushing the tempo. Her passing is flat out scary! That "no look" to Kia on the break was text book, classic and part of a highlight reel.

Defensively she is improving. She stays with her assignment. She is learning how to harass others. She quickness and ability to anticipate a play will increase leading to more steals and breakaways.
Not sure about the idea of Crystal continuing to come off the bench. But I agree with the rest of your post 1,000%

Reaction Score
As I watched the game again, I couldn't help but to laugh, because I did jump ahead to next year. Just the thought of Crystal and Megan on the floor together, it gives me so much joy :).
Not only Megan, but imagine Crystal throwing alley-oops to AZ! With the super-sophs becoming super-juniors and streaking down the floor, and Gabby everywhere at once, it will be like the old L.A. Laker Show Time.

Gus Mahler

Popular Composer
Reaction Score
“You could coach some guards until they’re 25 and they still wouldn’t be able to see the things she sees,” Auriemma said. “That’s not from coaching, that’s from an innate ability that she has."

Final Score: UConn Women Cruise Past Dayton, 98-65

Nice 69 pix game gallery at bottom of this article.
@Kibitzer : The author of the cited article could use your refresher on gauntlet versus gantlet.

JordyG

Stake in my pocket, Vlad to see you
Reaction Score
Not only Megan, but imagine Crystal throwing alley-oops to AZ! With the super-sophs becoming super-juniors and streaking down the floor, and Gabby everywhere at once, it will be like the old L.A. Laker Show Time.
Which is why so many in WCBB were really hoping The UConn at least fails to make the Quarters this year. Most of course were hoping Geno would fall flat on his face. The better this team does this year the more of a nightmare it will be the next 4 or 5.

Reaction Score
Crystal knows this is her team. It is time for Geno to let the team know it is her team. She will handle whatever he throws at her and it will help Kia to relax and just play. Leiberman Award winner her Sophmore year if not this year! She just has it and will only get better.Will she make mistakes absolutely but she will learn from them real fast. With Shea working with her like she did with Moriah. There is no limit for her. Moriah had Bria and Caroline in front of her(Bria AA and Doty would have been if not for her knees). Crystal is the best pg on this team, NOW. Give her the keys!

VAMike23

The Virginian
Reaction Score
I'm impressed by a lot of things she does on the offensive end, but honestly, I think she does a pretty darned good job on the defensive side. Obviously at 5'5" she is not long enough to cause as much disruption as a lock-down defender like Kelly Faris, but for the most part she works very hard at keeping herself in good position, switching and helping. And she is very athletic. I recall after the FSU game, Geno complimented her on the close-out she attempted on their last shot. She didn't block the shot but it was a solid effort.

Steals are certainly part of her repertoire , too, but I just like the other things she's doing.

Reaction Score
So next year we'll have two #1 (Walker, KLS) and a #2 (Crystal Dangerfield) recruit from their respective classes to go along with adding AZ to the mix? The 2017-19 seasons are going to have absurdly good and deep teams.

oldude

bamboo lover
Reaction Score
So next year we'll have two #1 (Walker, KLS) and a #2 (Crystal Dangerfield) recruit from their respective classes to go along with adding AZ to the mix? The 2017-19 seasons are going to have absurdly good and deep teams.
I am not sure that we don't have three #1's next year. While I know that Hoopgurlz rated Lauren Cox #1, Joyner Holmes #2 and Danger #3, I think if you asked Kim Mulkey & Karen Aston right now if they would trade Cox & Holmes straight up for Danger, if they were being honest, they'd make the trade in a NY minute.

Kibitzer

Sky Soldier
Reaction Score
@Kibitzer : The author of the cited article could use your refresher on gauntlet versus gantlet.

Sure. The writer made a very common mistake. (BTW, both words are pronounced "gauntlet.") A gantlet is an ordeal by flogging, literally or figuratively. A gauntlet is a glove.

Thus, UConn may "run the gantlet" of a series of tough games and Geno may "throw down the gauntlet" to Muffet on December 7 (figuratively, of course, like a dare).;)

Reaction Score
I think Coombs was ranked 4th before her knee injury. She plays this year by next should be all the way back.

Reaction Score
Not only Crystal, Molly and Kyla also will have a bright future in UConn.
Those three are just fearless ....
I'd like to believe that and I hope so, but as several have mentioned the court gets crowded next year.

Reaction Score
Crystal knows this is her team. It is time for Geno to let the team know it is her team. She will handle whatever he throws at her and it will help Kia to relax and just play. Leiberman Award winner her Sophmore year if not this year! She just has it and will only get better.Will she make mistakes absolutely but she will learn from them real fast. With Shea working with her like she did with Moriah. There is no limit for her. Moriah had Bria and Caroline in front of her(Bria AA and Doty would have been if not for her knees). Crystal is the best pg on this team, NOW. Give her the keys!
Agreed...and for all those who've been patiently, or not so patiently, awaiting the Kia Nurse breakout, watch what happens to her game when Crystal's undisputed presence at the point becomes manifest.

Reaction Score
. . . Crystal is the best pg on this team, NOW. Give her the keys!

I would argue that she already has the keys. I don't understand this obsession with having
her start. She has already played 30% more minutes than Saniya, and I would expect that
margin to grow. To me, what counts is minutes, not starting.

Reaction Score

Nothing to pick apart in this posting---Dangerfield is truly exceptional for a frosh--or most seniors. You said she is the best point guard on this UConn team--I suggest there is only one point guard better and she's in the Wnba or europe--guess who??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom