OT: - Creating a Hot Spot with your phone | The Boneyard

OT: Creating a Hot Spot with your phone

temery

What?
Reaction Score
A friend asked me this question, but I wasn't too sure of the answer: Is an iPhone to iPad hotspot as fast as an iPad with cellular?

He's thinking about buying an iPad with cellular for traveling, but he isn't sure it'll be worth it. Right now he just creates a hot spot so he can check his email, etc on his iPad when traveling.

My advise was to use use the hotel's WiFi for the bulk of his activity, and set up a hotspot when too far from a WiFi connection.

Bottom line: When is buying a tablet with cell service the best option over just creating a hotspot?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I do it all the time, but have not compared the speed because I don't have a cell enabled iPad. It's fast enough to do most things. I wouldn't try streaming video over it (data usage over LTE is a concern).

I would not buy an iPad with cell service. Wifi is in so many places, and the iPhone hotspot can cover the gaps adequately.

Reaction Score
I have an iPad with cell service. Hotel wifi is usually really slow and can be spotty. Same with trains, random Starbucks. It's worth the money for me to always (usually) have some sort of decent consistent service.

Reaction Score
I could be wrong but since the Ipad and Iphone both use the cell service when not on wifi, I doubt the wifi link to the phone would slow it down very much..why not borrow an ipad and use his cell hotspot to see if it is ok. The cell signal strength would be a bigger issue than the phone to ipad connection speed IMO

Reaction Score
I connect my IPad to my Droid all the time to check email, check my numbers for work, an occasional video from YouTube for one of my docs, and it seems the same as WiFi or cell enabled service on the IPad. I guess it would depend on his needs, but cell is cell. I’ve had no issues, and it saves $45 a month.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
A friend asked me this question, but I wasn't too sure of the answer: Is an iPhone to iPad hotspot as fast as an iPad with cellular?

He's thinking about buying an iPad with cellular for traveling, but he isn't sure it'll be worth it. Right now he just creates a hot spot so he can check his email, etc on his iPad when traveling.

My advise was to use use the hotel's WiFi for the bulk of his activity, and set up a hotspot when too far from a WiFi connection.

Bottom line: When is buying a tablet with cell service the best option over just creating a hotspot?

Its a negligible difference but there is a difference.

the answer to your bottom line is if that negligible difference matters, and convenience. (and cost, because buying a cellular pad is more expensive, and then you have the monthly cell charges added to your cell carrier plan)

I have A couple pads with cellular and a couple wifi only. I use them for work I use them as electronic sheet music with my bands and I watch TV and stuff on them when Im traveling.

While most places have wifi where Im at and I certainly can create phone hot spots, I pretty much always grab my cellular pads when going out or traveling. Even though they are more beatup than my wifi ones. Its just one less thing to deal with.

temery

What?
Reaction Score
I have an iPad with cell service. Hotel wifi is usually really slow and can be spotty. Same with trains, random Starbucks. It's worth the money for me to always (usually) have some sort of decent consistent service.

Is this true for international travel?

August_West

Reaction Score
Is this true for international travel?

thats a different ball of wax.

You will pay extra when travelling internationally. how much? It depends on who your home carrier is. You used to buy a set amount of data and texts, these days you pretty much just pay a flat fee (10 bucks a day added to your bill for every day used out of country) to expect similar service as home . Similar service as at home means you are subject to the same good and bad spots as you get here.

Depending on country infrastructure obviously

Reaction Score
I use my iphone as a hotspot with my Macbook on a regular basis and while its not as fast as wifi, its more than enough for email and most regular work functions. I even stream video through it. Its a waste to buy the cellular ipad in my opinon.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
I have a physical hotspot that all the devices in the house hook up to. I think it’s like 10 bucks a month. Have to pay for unlimited data with the phone though.

Reaction Score
Wifi tablets come in handy during the extended power outages due to various storms over the past several years. I have 2 of them along with several battery packs and it's the only thing that keeps me sane during a blackout.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

You will pay extra when travelling internationally. how much? It depends on who your home carrier is. You used to buy a set amount of data and texts, these days you pretty much just pay a flat fee (10 bucks a day added to your bill for every day used out of country) to expect similar service as home . Similar service as at home means you are subject to the same good and bad spots as you get here.

Yeah, I travel fairly frequently. I do have cell on my iPad but I usually get an international plan for my iPhone and not my iPad. I could use my phone as a hotspot (and I'm sure I have) but generally just use the hotel WiFi.

I try to avoid using my phone as a hotspot because my int'l plan is expensive and I end up going through data like crazy even without tethering.

Last edited:

August_West

Reaction Score
Yeah, I travel fairly frequently. I do have cell on my iPad but I usually get an international plan for my iPhone and not my iPad. I could use my phone as a hotspot (and I'm sure I have) but generally just use the hotel WiFi.

yup.

I wouldnt and dont pay for 2 devices on international. THAT would be the time to use a phone as a hotspot.

August_West

Reaction Score
Wifi tablets come in handy during the extended power outages due to various storms over the past several years. I have 2 of them along with several battery packs and it's the only thing that keeps me sane during a blackout.

You mean cellular right?

Because 80% of the time your power is out, your home wifi is probably too. If you are using cable. If you are using fiber and have a generator there is a decent chance you can keep you connection.

But yes. fully agreed. Ipads with Cellular data save my butt during power outages.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
yup.

I wouldnt and dont pay for 2 devices on international. THAT would be the time to use a phone as a hotspot.

I have AT&T and their int'l plans blow. I pay through the teeth. And by I, I mean my firm.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I have AT&T and their int'l plans blow. I pay through the teeth. And by I, I mean my firm.

I have AT&T and the plan was great last time I went to Scotland (a year ago). Very cheap to add it and data was unlimited. I think it cost the company like $10. But I suspect we have a better deal than you do.

August_West

Reaction Score
I have AT&T and the plan was great last time I went to Scotland (a year ago). Very cheap to add it and data was unlimited. I think it cost the company like $10. But I suspect we have a better deal than you do.

Att is 10 bucks a day if you use your phone or data. If you go a day without using it you don’t get charged 10 bucks that day.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score

Yeah, it's not a firm plan. It's my own plan and I get it reimbursed.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
Att is 10 bucks a day if you use your phone or data. If you go a day without using it you don’t get charged 10 bucks that day.

I can't go an hour without using my phone.

StingLykOllie

How do I change my name...
Reaction Score
Typically you can get an IPad at a steep discount if you sign the two year contract at your mobile carrier. It typically carries a 10$ month charge, but cost benefit could be worth it.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score

iPads are unlocked.

Just buy a data sim wherever you go and you’re set.

No, they don’t, and no, they’re not - $10 a day and then if you need data, $60 a month for a gig.

Their international plans are basically the same as Verizon’s. The only plans that are really a pain in the ass are the Cellular-at-Sea plans. It always gets screwed up.

Typically you can get an IPad at a steep discount if you sign the two year contract at your mobile carrier. It typically carries a 10$ month charge, but cost benefit could be worth it.

Horrible advice. Horrible. I am against feeding posters to sharks just for a bad post, but this post nudges me in that direction.

No one do this.

I like the convenience of having the cellular iPads, but I definitely could get buy with using my phone as a hotspot. Still, for $129 extra, or whatever, I still opt for the cellular versions.

August_West

Reaction Score
iPads are unlocked.

Length of stay dictates cost efficiency on that one.

August_West

Reaction Score
Yeah, it's not a firm plan. It's my own plan and I get it reimbursed.

Have you added international day pass to your phone line? This is a feature you have to specifically add either by calling them or on the website. Once added it just sits there dormant ( no charge) until you travel. You should check. Reimbursement nonwithstanding.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
iPads are unlocked.

No, they don’t, and no, they’re not - $10 a day and then if you need data, $60 a month for a gig.

Their international plans are basically the same as Verizon’s. The only plans that are really a pain in the ass are the Cellular-at-Sea plans. It always gets screwed up.

Horrible advice. Horrible. I am against feeding posters to sharks just for a bad post, but this post nudges me in that direction.

No one do this.

I like the convenience of having the cellular iPads, but I definitely could get buy with using my phone as a hotspot. Still, for $129 extra, or whatever, I still opt for the cellular versions.

I need data, so $60. Even if it's just a week, or shorter. That seems like paying through the teeth to me.

@August_West Are you talking about phone service or data, or both? It seems like both, but does the $10 include unlimited data? That's my problem. I'm using GPS etc and blowing through data like crazy. That's why I always pick the $60 plan, even if it's just for a few days.

Last edited:

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom