Cord Cutters | Page 40 | The Boneyard

Cord Cutters

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I’m thinking of a combination of high speed internet, a Roku, YouTube Tv, Philos, & Netflix to kill the cable bill. Viewing their channels they’re missing SNY, YES, & NESN. How do I get those?

Reaction Score
Yeah that’s so not true
I'm assuming it's not true because so many are doing it, but I'm admittedly confused how. If I were to make the switch from cable to YouTube TV my bill would go from $119 now to $115 since it's still $50 to get just internet through Optimum. Are people going a different route?

Reaction Score
So, on my YTTV issues. My wife had no problem with her Samsung TV, while I did. I also had problems with my multiple TV's. Roku & Chrome cast. Seems like the problem is under my log in. I've logged out and in. Cleared history. Still nothing.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
I'm assuming it's not true because so many are doing it, but I'm admittedly confused how. If I were to make the switch from cable to YouTube TV my bill would go from $119 now to $115 since it's still $50 to get just internet through Optimum. Are people going a different route?
I may not be thinking about it as broadly as others, but that sounds about right $50 for a high speed Internet and another 65 for YouTube TV. For me, that dropped my bill from around $220 to about at $115. Additionally, after the end of the basketball season I drop YouTube TV and pick it up in the fall. So, it probably saves me just under $2000 a year. Not earth shaking, but I really don’t miss having cable.

Reaction Score
A quickie update, I don't know if I mentioned it referring to the DirecTV / DirecTV Stream situation.. As it turns out, the savings are not NEARLY what I expected them to be after I had a great phone call with them and then did a follow up to check the numbers. While I pay $150 right now for Choice+ and HBO and 3 receivers - I would be over $100 to go full streaming with the same package. So at the end of the day a $40 savings for the worry of buffering issues (likely never happens after my switch to Google Nest routers) just isn't worth the hassle of the change.
Stop. Unless you're in the middle of the forest, "buffering" is not a thing. Hulu, Netflix, Disney+, Discovery+, etc. are all streaming only services that would be subject to "buffering" and aren't.

CL82

Reaction Score
4K Fire Stick is on sale for $25 now, and would likely fix your issue. LG and Samsung apps are fairly awful.
I agree. Right now I use my chrome stick, and I actually like using my phone as a remote better than using a remote.

Reaction Score
YouTube TV has NESN and SNY just not both at the same time.

For me, YouTube TV works fine, but, sure if you keep adding stuff onto it it gets more expensive, but then again so does cable.
With Verizon FIOS I get both NESN and SNY.

The issue with with streaming services is if you want even 1 more station you need to add an entire new streaming service. I know people who have 2 streaming services, e.g. Youtube TV and FUBO, and then that's the same as a cable service but with less options. With Verizon FIOS I just add a $10/month package to get what I want. If streaming services had an a la carte menu of stations to add then they could compete with that. But they don't and I don't expect them to for a long time.

I could be all wrong with this but that's my understanding of the options.

CL82

Reaction Score
With Verizon FIOS I get both NESN and SNY.
Down in Jersey I just get SNY. I’m a little envious. I have the Fios gigabyte service. It works well with four people streaming.

Reaction Score
There is a problem with the latest ROKU operating system update. YouTube tv keeps stopping after about 15 minutes. Many people complaining about it on the ROKU help site. Not clear if it is ROKU or YouTube at fault but very frustrating. May need to cancel YouTube and find another service.

Reaction Score
There is a problem with the latest ROKU operating system update. YouTube tv keeps stopping after about 15 minutes. Many people complaining about it on the ROKU help site. Not clear if it is ROKU or YouTube at fault but very frustrating. May need to cancel YouTube and find another service.
It's also happening on Samsung and Google cast.

Reaction Score
I called YoutubeTV, they said it is their issue, they are working on it and gave me a two week refund.

Reaction Score
You might have the problem if you're using the YouTube TV app, as Roku isn't supporting it. If you use the regular YouTube app and scroll to the bottom of the menu, there's a direct line to YouTube TV. I'm using it with no issues.

Reaction Score
You might have the problem if you're using the YouTube TV app, as Roku isn't supporting it. If you use the regular YouTube app and scroll to the bottom of the menu, there's a direct line to YouTube TV. I'm using it with no issues.
Yet, the problem is also with Samsung & Google Cast.

CL82

Reaction Score
Did that. Still stops under my account. My wife sign in still works. She called the help line.
Wait, there’s a YouTube TV helpline? What’s the number?

CL82

Reaction Score
I'm not sure. My wife found it online on Saturday. She actually talked to a live person.

If she stumbled onto it again, let me know! The workaround of using chrome cast is fine, but I would love to get the issue resolved so I could just use the TV directly.

Reaction Score
I mostly use YTTV through AppleTV or my phone/tablet when remote. I also have a Samsung TV in the basement where I use the app on the TV - haven't had problems there either. Definitely got better when I went eero mesh network.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom