Cord Cutters | Page 39 | The Boneyard

Cord Cutters

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
I’m thinking of a combination of high speed internet, a Roku, YouTube Tv, Philos, & Netflix to kill the cable bill. Viewing their channels they’re missing SNY, YES, & NESN. How do I get those?

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
We just cancelled Fubo & will bring it back again in April for NESN.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Is there any easy way to get NESN out of market as one off just for this weekend's football game? I don't want to go the hassle of using a VPN of this one game.

Reaction Score
Is there any easy way to get NESN out of market as one off just for this weekend's football game? I don't want to go the hassle of using a VPN of this one game.
I want to see the UMass game from south Florida and I'm having a difficult time figuring out how to do it. So if someone has a solution . . .

Reaction Score
I want to see the UMass game from south Florida and I'm having a difficult time figuring out how to do it. So if someone has a solution . . .
If you guys just want NESN for this weekend, I believe FUBO TV does have a 7 day trial period, providing it's your first time trying FUBO TV. Sign up and cancel before the 7 days are up.

Reaction Score
Hmm...my son is a college student. Let me work on that.

My son bought it - haven't used it yet but will try and check it out this weekend.

Downside I imagine is that we will both want to watch the Packer game on it - and even when I had it on the DTV satellite package you could only have one person logged into the app at a time.

CL82

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
I'm considering Hulu + Live TV and ditching Spectrum which has gotten very expensive. They have a bundle with Disney + right now and I could still add Showtime, HBO Max and Starz if i want to and it would be significantly less than I am paying now. Looking at the channel lineup it looks like we would still get all the games. It appears Fox, CBS SN, FS1, FS2 and ESPN1 and 2 are all available. Does anyone who uses the Hulu live TV know if you can get all the games?

Reaction Score
I'm considering Hulu + Live TV and ditching Spectrum which has gotten very expensive. They have a bundle with Disney + right now and I could still add Showtime, HBO Max and Starz if i want to and it would be significantly less than I am paying now. Looking at the channel lineup it looks like we would still get all the games. It appears Fox, CBS SN, FS1, FS2 and ESPN1 and 2 are all available. Does anyone who uses the Hulu live TV know if you can get all the games?
I use Hulu Live down here in Delaware and didn't miss a game.

Reaction Score
My son bought it - haven't used it yet but will try and check it out this weekend.

Downside I imagine is that we will both want to watch the Packer game on it - and even when I had it on the DTV satellite package you could only have one person logged into the app at a time.

Sunday ticket was key this weekend. The Packer game was on TV in Chicago so he watched it live and I used the app in CT. That's a steal for $100.

Reaction Score
I tried searching this on the board. Is there a subscription streaming service for all the UConn men's games that works out of market? I've been letting my father use my cable logins for the last few years but thinking about ditching cable and would like to subscribe to a service for him if one is available. Thank you.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
All of our games are on national networks, even the cupcakes, so markets don't matter. I have You Tube TV that gets all the games.

Reaction Score
A quickie update, I don't know if I mentioned it referring to the DirecTV / DirecTV Stream situation.. As it turns out, the savings are not NEARLY what I expected them to be after I had a great phone call with them and then did a follow up to check the numbers. While I pay $150 right now for Choice+ and HBO and 3 receivers - I would be over $100 to go full streaming with the same package. So at the end of the day a $40 savings for the worry of buffering issues (likely never happens after my switch to Google Nest routers) just isn't worth the hassle of the change.

CL82

Reaction Score
If you want to watch sports legally, cable is still the way to go imo. After you get all the services you need to watch live sports it's the same price as cable or close enough to it that the convenience factor is worth it
Yeah that’s so not true

CL82

Reaction Score
Having issues watching You Tube TV. Picture just stops after a couple of minutes. Anyone else having this issue?
I’m not sure if this is the same thing, but my LG is a little older and when I play YouTube TV through the app on the TV I have to manually set the TV to standard definition to avoid that problem, which obviously sucks. The workaround is to get on YouTube TV on my phone and cast it via chrome to the TV. Then everything comes across 1080p.

My understanding is that this problem doesn’t happen on newer TVs and it is a known issue between YouTube TV and LG.

Reaction Score
Yeah that’s so not true
I feel the same way as @JMick. I probably pay at least $50-$75/month more for Verizon FIOS than I would if I had a streaming service (I have a bundled package because our family's cell phones are all with Verizon). But there is no one streaming service that has all the sports I want that I get with Verizon FIOS with an additional sports package (which isn't very much). Having what I want is way more important to me than saving money. I really don't care about saving money if it's an inconvenience not to get even 1 thing I want to watch.

If I tell you what sports channels I want would you tell me what streaming services would get me everything I want? I'll start with NESN since some streaming services don't have that. Then add every channel I'd need to watch all UConn men's basketball games. Then NFL Network and RedZone. And the entire package of ESPN stations. Start with those requirements and then you have to add all the stuff my wife watches which would entail getting many streaming services.

CL82

Reaction Score
I feel the same way as @JMick. I probably pay at least $50-$75/month more for Verizon FIOS than I would if I had a streaming service (I have a bundled package because our family's cell phones are all with Verizon). But there is no one streaming service that has all the sports I want that I get with Verizon FIOS with an additional sports package (which isn't very much). Having what I want is way more important to me than saving money. I really don't care about saving money if it's an inconvenience not to get even 1 thing I want to watch.

If I tell you what sports channels I want would you tell me what streaming services would get me everything I want? I'll start with NESN since some streaming services don't have that. Then add every channel I'd need to watch all UConn men's basketball games. Then NFL Network and RedZone. And the entire package of ESPN stations. Start with those requirements and then you have to add all the stuff my wife watches which would entail getting many streaming services.
YouTube TV has NESN and SNY just not both at the same time.

For me, YouTube TV works fine, but, sure if you keep adding stuff onto it it gets more expensive, but then again so does cable.

Reaction Score
Having issues watching You Tube TV. Picture just stops after a couple of minutes. Anyone else having this issue?
If you have a clear view to the south and west get DirectTV, you will never look back. It’s the sharpest picture you can get for the home. I’ve done side by side comparisons with with a rock solid streaming signal and a DTV signal with the same live sports (baseball) signal, and the DTV signal was always a hair sharper and/or less noisy. Only drawback with DTV is you can lose the HD signal (or will drop down to standard def) for a few minutes during a heavy thunderstorm. I worked in broadcasting as an engineer for 20 years back in my younger days, so I think I can call myself an authority on the subject. DTV might be a few bucks more but their sports packages and customer service are first rate.

Last edited:

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
I’m not sure if this is the same thing, but my LG is a little older and when I play YouTube TV through the app on the TV I have to manually set the TV to standard definition to avoid that problem, which obviously sucks. The workaround is to get on YouTube TV on my phone and cast it via chrome to the TV. Then everything comes across 1080p.

My understanding is that this problem doesn’t happen on newer TVs and it is a known issue between YouTube TV and LG.

4K Fire Stick is on sale for $25 now, and would likely fix your issue. LG and Samsung apps are fairly awful.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom